Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Man what a fight. What a great year of boxing so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Those are some narrow rear end scores.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
118-108 out of one judge? Did I hear that right?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Props to these dudes, definitely need a rematch, same venue, same channel

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grittybeard posted:

118-108? Did I hear that right?

Yea

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yuriy posted:

is this gonna be showing somewhere

I'm expecting they'll show it after this one, but it could be that they plan around having a certain airtime and may have to compromise their showcase fights if you have their main events going the distance.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
adelaide byrd is so loving stupid, how do you not give a single round to guerrero

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

wow they go heavy on adverts on this channel

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't see how anyone could go 120-107. Guerrero won round 10.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Adalaide Byrd you suck at everything.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

118-108 out of one judge? Did I hear that right?

Boxing Judging

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
They can skip SNL as far as I'm concerned

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CommonShore posted:

I don't see how anyone could go 120-107. Guerrero won round 10.

It's Adalaide Byrd, the (second) worst judge in boxing history. The only one worse being C. J. Ross who was actually fired for her scores over Desert Storm v PacMan I and Mayweather-Alvarez.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
NBCSN wtf

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
NBCSN has the other fights

Let's do this :getin:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NBCSN airing Mares' fight if you wanna see that

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Big ups to Jesus tonight

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

It's the channel that has hockey and...fishing?

Man I didn't realize just how busted up Guerrero was until the interview. I knew he was taking a lot of punches but that face.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well, great fight, I hope this got good ratings

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chris James 2 posted:

NBCSN airing Mares' fight if you wanna see that

I know nothing short of an actual gladiator fight could follow that but is that gonna be any good?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I want Trainer Dad in every fight if I'm gonna keep watching boxing

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I want Trainer Dad in every fight if I'm gonna keep watching boxing

You're going to love Angel Garcia and Mayweather SR.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I know nothing short of an actual gladiator fight could follow that but is that gonna be any good?

A good portion of us have never heard of his opponent, who also has almost as much losses as he has KO wins (which isn't a lot in itself). Not a lot of good signs that this will be very competitive, let alone as good as the last fight, but hope remains that it's at least better than the Broner fight.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I want to see Al Michaels wearing that bandana.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That bandana is pretty awesome. Better than 30 minute ring walks a least.

e: Well 30 minute ring walks that don't involve Prince Naseem. Oh poo poo a knockdown.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.
That was the first time I've watched boxing since I was a small child and I'm hooked now.

I'm confused as to why everyone in the world appears to hate Adrien Broner so much, but that might just be from watching too much pro wrestling and losing my grip on reality.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For those who haven't decided to follow @premierboxing, they've decided to gif and tweet their own fights, which is a pretty cool thing to do.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Needs More Ditka posted:

That was the first time I've watched boxing since I was a small child and I'm hooked now.

I'm confused as to why everyone in the world appears to hate Adrien Broner so much, but that might just be from watching too much pro wrestling and losing my grip on reality.

because hes poo poo and he tries to act like floyd without having any of the talent, skill, or natural ability to back it up

he and the media pushed him as floyd jr basically but he lacked any of the attributes that make floyd such a lovable prick

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Needs More Ditka posted:

He's not good enough to be an rear end in a top hat, mostly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mares should have knocked this guy out like 8x already. C'mon Abner.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

Needs More Ditka posted:

Broner would make an excellent pro wrestling heel. As for boxing, he has an above average skill set. He just can't refrain from being a tremendous dick. Humping opponents in the ring, saying overly offensive garbage, and showboating. He got torched by Maidana and it was one of the most joy inducing things I've witnessed.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

Grittybeard posted:

He's not good enough to be an rear end in a top hat, mostly.

That's unfortunate. I quite enjoy unbearably cocky assholes that can actually back up their act and quickly tire of the "trooper that fights so hard" schtick they were putting on Molina Jr. What fighters should I look into as I learn this great sport?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Needs More Ditka posted:

make sure you watch next week then bc kovalev vs pascal is on and should be good*

*for 6 rounds until pascal gasses and gets starched

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

Needs More Ditka posted:

That's unfortunate. I quite enjoy unbearably cocky assholes that can actually back up their act and quickly tire of the "trooper that fights so hard" schtick they were putting on Molina Jr. What fighters should I look into as I learn this great sport?

There is but one boxing God, and Golovkin is his prophet.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--GGG's just a loveable guy who destroys anyone in his way

Needs More Ditka posted:

Floyd sounds like he was made for you. Other than that maybe Brandon Rios? He's half rear end in a top hat half insane guy from what I can tell.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Needs More Ditka posted:

Floyd's the king and in two months he fights Pacquiao, so that's perfect timing

I think he's retired now, but you should also look up the fights of Ricardo Mayorga. Unlike Floyd, he lost a couple times, but he was always entertaining in some way (even if some fights were duds, he made up for it by being ridiculous in the weigh-ins and interviews).

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Floyd sounds like he was made for you. Other than that maybe Brandon Rios? He's half rear end in a top hat half insane guy from what I can tell.

Danny Garcia fits the bill pretty well too.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Needs More Ditka posted:

The boxing general thread seems to have some good information in the first few posts. I am also quite hooked despite not getting any enjoyment when I watched UFC with my buddies a few years ago. Not only was that Main Event really good, but it got me interested in the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight because the commentary was basically implying "These two are in the same league, but that match will be EVEN BETTER." An hour ago I would have never thought ONCE about buying a boxing Pay Per View.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

naseem hamed and roy jones were pretty good for clowning opponents. both are retired now tho(i won't hear otherwise)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sanguinia posted:

"These two are in the same league, but that match will be EVEN BETTER." An hour ago I would have never thought ONCE about buying a boxing Pay Per View.

It should in theory be awesome or at least interesting but...well experience as a boxing fan tells me you should go to a bar that's carrying the fight. Or a movie theater, they've been doing that recently.

Unfortunately the best fights aren't usually the biggest fights.

• Locked thread