Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/nacchi_00/status/933595520139894784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Given the rate at which Maxi On and Versus have been cross-pollinating, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see the Kampfer also announced for December and them just opting to make December a Christmas DLC Tidal Wave month.

Fingers crossed for Alex, preferably as not a 200.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I like the Freedom Gundam. I love doing the aerial dodge (flip?) and then shooting a laser in the middle of doing that.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I’m trying to learn to play the V2, but it’s a tricky machine with 4 modes. I just think it looks cool as hell.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Yo do you guys use a discord or anything for arranging games? I play around 6-9 PST and its usually 1 to 2 game in that span without just devolving to 1v1s with a bud. Would love to get smashed more frequently.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Made a room of anyone wants to play goondam.

Name: BarackOmaba

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

worthless. posted:

Made a room of anyone wants to play goondam.

Name: BarackOmaba

I look forward to the day we can play GOOhNdam.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is it actually possible for you to end up against bots in this game? Because I’ve been going for some late-night 1v1s, and some of the behaviour I’ve seen has been... bizarre.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Is it actually possible for you to end up against bots in this game? Because I’ve been going for some late-night 1v1s, and some of the behaviour I’ve seen has been... bizarre.

No bots but sometimes you run into someone with a rubber band on the controller to grind for exp while they sleep

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

worthless. posted:

No bots but sometimes you run into someone with a rubber band on the controller to grind for exp while they sleep

No, I mean really weird poo poo. Like folks just standing still until you enter a certain range, at which point they start throwing out perfect combo after perfect combo, then going inactive again once you put some distance between you, letting you blast them with gerobis without even bothering to dodge.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Any trip reports with either the Aegis Gundam or the GM Sniper II? It's interesting that they added a 200 cost suit like the Sniper II as DLC - I feel like some people will be hard-pressed to buy it just because 200 costs are relatively uncommon picks.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Trip Report on GM Sniper II - it's very interesting, especially for a 200-cost suit.

Pros:
-You have a strong, hitscan BR that downs in one hit. As far as I'm aware, this capability doesn't exist in any other suit except G-Arcane.
-Your backup ranged weapon, the bazooka, is sort of your 'standard' BR - while it does stagger on hit, you can zunda it for at least one extra hit. As a bazooka it does more damage, but can be destroyed by other projectiles.
-Overall, in terms of damage your ranged weapons hit way above cost even before factoring in the alternate mode, which makes them hit even harder.
-Like the Marasai you also have access to a fairly powerful Gerobi, although it's not very wide.
-Long red lock range
-Alternate mode charges fairly quickly, is a straight-up damage increase to your beam weapons and increases your red lock range.
-GM Sniper II is the Punisher - with its hitscan BR, it's impossible for an opponent to evade your beam rifle when you've got them dead to rights.

Cons:
-You have no melee cancel routes
-You suck at melee to boot
-EVERY ATTACK uses your boost gauge. On top of the already-low boost gauge that 200-costs come with, this means that the GM Sniper II has very limited mobility and you need to have excellent boost gauge management. Starting out, you will overheat a lot.
-Your beam rifle and gerobi have awkward wind-ups - they're hitscan, but they don't fire shortly after you press the button. GM Sniper II has very awkward timings that don't translate well to other suits.
-Both your Gerobi and Burst attacks can be punished very easily if you whiff - ALWAYS boost cancel out of your Gerobi
-Limited ammunition - all of your attacks only recharge when they're empty, and your main BR has 2 shots, your bazooka 3, and your Gerobi 1.

How to Play:
I'm an amateur, but I can tell from playing a bit and seeing better players use GM Sniper II that you need to abuse Boost Dive as much as possible. All of GM Sniper II's ranged attacks use your boost gauge, and if you never cancel out of the Gerobi it will seriously use almost all of it. You need to be comfortable with boost cancelling out of your post-shot animations and quickly boost diving to preserve your gauge and still be mobile. Always try to use the directional input feature of your main BR to sidestep attacks and better position yourself. A lot of what GM Sniper II does can be easily punished - stick close to the ground to minimize the number of opportunities you create and so that you can quickly Boost Dive to recover gauge. Sniper II is really good at punishing, so I think GGEZ's advice on how to play - stick to your high cost buddy so they can cover you if the enemy tries to punish you and so you can needle them while they try to deal with the big guy - is solid against other players.

Finally, always watch your ammo. Never use anything that's empty. If you try to use a weapon that doesn't have any ammo, GM Sniper II actually has longer wind-up and cooldown times as it sits there looking like an idiot. It doesn't take an ace pilot to abuse the living hell out of you when this happens.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 19, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, the gerobi is ludicrously accurate. It’s your most accurate ranged option, in fact.

The Aegis is pretty much what you’d expect - a solid all-rounder with some vicious melee tools and a very entertaining (and situationally game-winning) comedy attack.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Darth Walrus posted:

The Aegis is pretty much what you’d expect - a solid all-rounder with some vicious melee tools and a very entertaining (and situationally game-winning) comedy attack.

What makes it even better is that the game calculates damage done to the enemy with the suicide attack before factoring in the damage done/destruction of the Aegis. That means that if you use it to win the game even though the destruction of Aegis would lose the game for you, you still win because the damage is dealt to the enemy first - their gauge will hit zero before yours.

Another salient point about GM Sniper II: It's tied for lowest HP in the game (380) along with Char's Zaku II and the Methuss. One thing GM Sniper II lacks compared to these low-cost low-HP suits is mobility, so it's probably the most alarmingly fragile MS in the entire game at the moment.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 19, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I got this for a regular PS4 (non-pro) does it still play alright? Is Gundam Breaker 3 solid too? I got a 500GB standard model off Amazon since I don’t have a 4K TV and I’m just looking to play Gundam & Yakuza.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Taintrunner posted:

If I got this for a regular PS4 (non-pro) does it still play alright? Is Gundam Breaker 3 solid too? I got a 500GB standard model off Amazon since I don’t have a 4K TV and I’m just looking to play Gundam & Yakuza.

I don't think there are any benefits to playing on PS4 Pro over a regular PS4. It plays pretty well with the only slowdown occurring during online matches due to latency, not processing power.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Gundam Breaker 3 is 100% fine on a regular PS4.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sick, thanks for the help guys.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/GundamVersus/status/943783629968236544

Edit: Oh hey and Master Gundam as well

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/943843525082341376

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 21, 2017

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
fuckin finally

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Please uncle Bandai give me Maxter for Christmas.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Same but the windmill gundam.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seen reports that there’s free DLC coming out today or tomorrow featuring three new navigators. Anyone know about that?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Seen reports that there’s free DLC coming out today or tomorrow featuring three new navigators. Anyone know about that?

I read one of them is Atra. So that's something.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I read one of them is Atra. So that's something.

Where is it, anyway? Should have been out on the 22nd.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

SHINING FINGERS

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
This is on sale in the European PSN store, for fellow Eurogoons without this game yet. I'm interested, liked the beta, but wanted to ask a question or two first. First, how's the community for the game going, is it still active? Are there many Euro/UK players or is it mostly US dominated? If so, is the netcode good enough to handle cross-continental play at all?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I'm playing from EU and I have to use world wide matchmaking or whatever it is, or I can't get into games. Not sure if that has improved since launch, though. I actually haven't tried again.
I'd say about 50% of games I have no lag at all and the other 50% varies from slight lag to literally unplayable.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
picked this up for xmas. ran though the tutorials and they dont explain poo poo. there any good guides out there for this?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Kuvo posted:

picked this up for xmas. ran though the tutorials and they dont explain poo poo. there any good guides out there for this?

There are a handful of youtube channels making content for the game, including a bunch of tutorials at various levels of completion. I think this one is a good crash course on some general concepts the tutorial doesn't explain very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULlb_hDyItk The follow up tutorial he links at the end is also useful, though it looks like that's the only video in the 'complete' tutorial that actually got uploaded.

There's also a couple videos by TeamFox in a playlist over this way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu7SW6zoNqI

The most comprehensive resource in English is probably the ggez.space wiki over at http://www.ggez.space/gundam-versus/gundam-versus-wiki/

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

poo poo, pack it up guys, we got told what's what

Anora posted:

Wow, Gundam Versus is not good.

Just because of the controls too. There are technically like 5 buttons, Jump, Melee, ranged, assist, and switch target, with three other buttons assigned to be combo buttons (like R2 is Ranged and Melee I think), so it's a heavy crap shoot if the button you press activates the power you want. Cannot count the number of times I hit R2 for it to only count as hitting ranged only.

And gently caress me, the enemies are like twice as fast as your suit, which means you won't hit anything except by luck. Which is not a problem for your enemies, who will peg you from across the board as your dodge fails to activate. Assuming you can see who shot you, as the camera is fixed via lock on, and the Right stick does nothing with the camera even when you are not locked on.

It seems like the game wants you to keep dashing, as that seems to improve accuracy, and keeps you from being hit (obviously on that last one), but most characters have a move that stops them dead in their tracks for at least a second, long enough to eat like 4 ranged attacks. It also seems to want you to use the D-pad, as dodging is double tapping buttons, and shielding is pressing down then up (why...?).

If you ever played Federation Vs Zeon or AEUG Vs Titans, it's basically that, but no space, and you can't play as the Mobile Armors, they still show up as bosses, but you can't play them. It's also super grindy, and there's very little content.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kuvo posted:

GGEZ has lots of good stuff, with its star attraction being the suit-by-suit move guides. An excellent first stop if you want to get the most out of a particular machine.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I agree that block shouldn’t be a joystick motion, but a button.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

How I learned to play better is to:
1. Get a grasp of the basic mechanics, especially the Boost Dash.
2. Pick a suit you like/want to learn.
3. Try to play through Vs. AI in that suit.
4. Then watch a TeamFox video of them playing that particular suit.

This takes your understanding of the basic mechanics, gives you some experience with the MS in question, and then allows you to see how a pro plays it. In other words, it takes what you know, establishes your baseline, and gives you an example of good play to compare yourself to.

For example, I really like the Zeydra, but watching them play it showed me how vital Boost Dash is as part of the pressure game and how bad sidestepping is by comparison. This is important for me because I come from a legacy of Federation vs. Zeon and AEUG vs. Titans where sidestepping was the primary form of evasion, so it became a part of my Gundam Versus playstyle.

Both Boost Dash and Sidestep will do the same thing - break tracking - but BD is infinitely better at creating distance/applying pressure because of it speed, omni-directional nature (SS works in one of the four cardinal directions, BD works in all eight), and the fact that it can cancel animations. SS is more boost efficient by far, but it doesn't really do any of those things well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

worthless. posted:

I agree that block shouldn’t be a joystick motion, but a button.

Blocking is actually almost always a super poor decision except in very specific scenarios. As a melee defense option it is a last resort option because it puts you at disadvantage(i.e. it takes longer for the blocker to recover than the attacker) and as a ranged defense option it is dicey because you cannot voluntarily interrupt a block once it begins, meaning a canny opponent can unload into your block to "block lock" you and open you up to a big punish from the sides/rear.

That's not to say it's useless; it's really great for covering landings against single pot shots that otherwise would have tagged you, or as a reaction to an overheated melee approach, or as a panic option to buy your partner time to bail you out. It's just absolutely not something you should be using enough to warrant a button of its own, especially since the addition of strikers and boost dive have already made the control scheme rather busy.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/950679209973768193

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Efreet Schneid has suspiciously few knives.

Incidentally, did we ever get a translation of Missing Link? Or a summary of the story, or anything?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Checked the official website, and the new announcements are the Build Strike from GBF and... the girlfriend coffin from AGE? :psyduck:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Finally they’re giving me the sexy robots I want. Next should be the Nobell and the Rick-Do Gyanko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Checked the official website, and the new announcements are the Build Strike from GBF and... the girlfriend coffin from AGE? :psyduck:

It's been in Maxi On for a while, actually, so it's not surprising that they're porting it to go with the AGE they've decided to slip in.

• Locked thread