Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 67--
Episode 67: Destroy Myself features Aerith's character quest and although I start with those audio issues, I eventually get them fixed.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The game doesn't like loading people up with too much magic. A high max HP makes a difference. Regen makes a difference when people are hit with ailments and take a bit of damage.
Can you load up a striker with so much attack and HP, to tank their MP?

That's something I've been playing with lately, is not giving people magic materia to keep their HP high. I've noticed that ailment materia give HP and take MP, so I'll consider that from now on.

KieranWalker posted:

You know, I was kind of wondering if you were ever going to use Aeris again, considering all the trouble you put yourself through to revive her.

Does she actually have any significant lines or anything if you keep her in your party after she recovers from being impaled?

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

She has a few lines here and there; best one is Under Junon.

I've been keeping the New Threat dialogue whereas I usually cut story stuff. Especially now that I'm doing New Threat content you're going to see more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I like that the mimic's moves are inversions of Aeristh's limit breaks. That's cute.

I finally picked this back up and played from the end of disk 1 up to getting the Highwind. I got a gold Chocobo but all the materia bosses are extremely frustrating. Except for the King Bomb because apparently his bomb minions are susceptible to Odin and he's a joke when you're not on a clock before everyone unavoidably dies horribly.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It would have been neat to see her use all her limits. Maybe have her counter any limit that Aerith used on her.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sadly, the game seems a bit brittle when it comes to upgrading versions. I was watching a friend load up their NT save they hadn't played in ages, on the latest version - except Tifa's quest seems to be busted, Aerith has vanished from the party, and they were able to do a couple of character quests for the second time.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 68--
Episode 68: Revenge of the Ninja takes us back to Wutai to fight the Mystery Ninja inside of the Da-chao cave. Later on we head back to Gold Saucer to fight some bonus battles.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It would have been neat to see her use all her limits. Maybe have her counter any limit that Aerith used on her.
Is that how the enemy AI works? That's a shame, it's something I would have wanted to show off. It's something that's hard to predict- I want to show off all this mod has to offer but I don't know what every boss battle is capable of.

Stelas posted:

Sadly, the game seems a bit brittle when it comes to upgrading versions. I was watching a friend load up their NT save they hadn't played in ages, on the latest version - except Tifa's quest seems to be busted, Aerith has vanished from the party, and they were able to do a couple of character quests for the second time.
I'll keep that in mind. So far I've only updated the mod once and thinks went relatively smoothly. If a new patch is released I'll have to be careful but I hear that SegaChief is busy with FF8 New Threat.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I forget, did you go back and do the Junon battles? I kinda broke them in the dumbest way but I don't want to post spoilers.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

I'll keep that in mind. So far I've only updated the mod once and thinks went relatively smoothly. If a new patch is released I'll have to be careful but I hear that SegaChief is busy with FF8 New Threat.

I forgot to update but it turns out there's an NPC on the Highwind that can put her back in your party if she vanishes. I think it's because I don't remember ever getting an option to revive Aeris - I'm pretty sure it just happened. So I guess earlier versions of the mod didn't set a flag or something that later versions of the mod are looking for.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Hey, I'm watching all of these videos and enjoying them, but your "Cloud has an annoying Edith Bunker voice" thing is easily the worst recurring joke you use. Please replace all instances of it with references to Aerith's CRT television instead. Thanks! :waycool:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 69--
Episode 69: 100 Things To Fight At The Battle Arena continues the fight with Sith Tank and then carries on with a New Threat exclusive battle tournament at the Battle Arena. You might have to tolerate my silly Cloud impressions for one episode more but I will revise my roster of jokes. I really don't which jokes land or not so I'd usually figure to keep on doing them.

suicidesteve posted:

I forget, did you go back and do the Junon battles? I kinda broke them in the dumbest way but I don't want to post spoilers.
I think I tried them but I have not done them yet. Need to go back and do them.

Actually, I'm looking at all there's left to do in this game mod and I'm thinking I'm going to be able to finish this Let's Play which I was worried during this past summer wouldn't happen.

Stelas posted:

I forgot to update but it turns out there's an NPC on the Highwind that can put her back in your party if she vanishes. I think it's because I don't remember ever getting an option to revive Aeris - I'm pretty sure it just happened. So I guess earlier versions of the mod didn't set a flag or something that later versions of the mod are looking for.

Okay, that's the guy. I don't know how it works and when that guy was patched in to the mod but he was there the very first time I got the Highwind and by then I had long updated to v1.5.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Awfully nice to have Vincent's Limits buff Cloud each turn. Even better if they just have him revert when he takes mortal damage.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 70--
Episode 70: And Special Guest Appearance By Charles Bukowski is the latest episode of New Threat. We finish off the Special Battle and the tournament caps off with a cameo apperance!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Protecting against sleep and paralyze seems to be a winning combo for boss fights. At least half the bosses have a murder attack or disable spell.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Resist is insanely useful in all the end-game content I've seen so far. You just have to make sure you get everyone hasted before you cast it.

Edit: Do you remember where you got Renew? I'm pretty sure it's the only materia I've missed.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 23, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 71--
Episode 71: Tsarcat Blues is one of those episode where I spend a lot of time dying. Join me in this theater of frustration!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Protecting against sleep and paralyze seems to be a winning combo for boss fights. At least half the bosses have a murder attack or disable spell.

I'll keep that in mind. Lots of bosses ahead of me and even though I'll likely have to replay a lot of them and fine tune my equipment, there are a couple of materia combos that are generally useful.

suicidesteve posted:

Resist is insanely useful in all the end-game content I've seen so far. You just have to make sure you get everyone hasted before you cast it.

Edit: Do you remember where you got Renew? I'm pretty sure it's the only materia I've missed.

Using Resist has been a real eureka for me. I like using Wall (or barriers) and those aren't compatible with Resist but it'll likely be super useful.

Renew is on the Full Cure Materia which is sold at the Cosmo Canyon shop.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think cauldron is like the Hades summon.
Now I wonder how many bosses you could have punked if you knew about how to absorb their attack elements.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So I just found a potentially disastrous glitch in a later part of the game. Without going into spoilers:

When you enter the bonus dungeon, most of your characters' materia gets removed. Make sure you have room in your inventory for all of it or some will get deleted. I was hoping any materia that didn't fit stayed on the characters it was originally on, but no such luck. I wasted about 2 hours before I was able to confirm what had happened. And of course it was my brand new shield materia and not literally any other materia I had equipped that I wouldn't have cared if it got erased. At least I kept a save file from before I went in.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 72--
Episode 72: Never Done With The Northern Cave is up and in this episode we revisit the Northern Cave to hunt for an Enemy Skill and soon to explore a branch I never checked out before. There's even a boss fight! Later, we look into the late-game weapon crafting.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think cauldron is like the Hades summon.
Now I wonder how many bosses you could have punked if you knew about how to absorb their attack elements.
I'm trying to get into that level strategizing. Elemental materia take away lots of stats but the benefits could outweigh the penalties if done well.

suicidesteve posted:

So I just found a potentially disastrous glitch in a later part of the game. Without going into spoilers:

When you enter the bonus dungeon, most of your characters' materia gets removed. Make sure you have room in your inventory for all of it or some will get deleted. I was hoping any materia that didn't fit stayed on the characters it was originally on, but no such luck. I wasted about 2 hours before I was able to confirm what had happened. And of course it was my brand new shield materia and not literally any other materia I had equipped that I wouldn't have cared if it got erased. At least I kept a save file from before I went in.
Thanks for the heads up! I've been keeping my Materia count around 60-70% so I don't think I'll have to worry.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You still have attack items when you go in the bonus dungeon.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 73--
Episode 73: Party Trials takes us through a few character quests: Red's, Vincent's, and Cid's.

Also, are there any differences between Arrange's Dark Cave and Normal Mode's?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 74--
Episode 74: Limit Break focuses on a couple more character quests and I even waste some time limit grinding.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That reactor couldn't have asked for a better protector.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 75--
Episode 75: Become As Gods focuses on the backhalf of Barret's character quest and then finally moves to Cloud's character quest which might be the most intense challenge yet! Will I succeed?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought you were going to fight Zack in Gongaga and didn't want to be getting ahead on that. That was a weird way to have a boss fight. Not even fighting the army.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 76--
Episode 76: I Am DONE With the Northern Cave (...?) takes us back to the Northern Cave for a bit to collect some weapons, but after that get some more Weapon Forging done.

After that, I finally tackle the Junon Leagues (which honestly I should have done earlier being that they aren't that hard.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What else is there to do after those two fights?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Scalding Coffee posted:

What else is there to do after those two fights?

There is the Dark Cave and some extra bosses like Carmine Weapon.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

There's the other 2 fights in gold saucer and at least 1 more boss I can think of.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 77--
Episode 77: We're Going To The Junon Leagues! is out and I hope you like Pokemon jokes because we're still making those.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Kinda nice to see battles that take a minute.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Just finished the videos up to the latest. Good stuff. You've got this pretty chill and silly sense of humor and good editing. Watching you not just default to Protect Ring in those solo fights when your routine involved casting Wall right at the start anyway hurt to watch, though :D I know there's not a lot of game to go, but I would like to ask you to check the names of the enemies more often; not seeing the new names is a thing that bugged me in previous videos. Don't do it if that's too much bother, though.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 78--
Episode 78: Somewhere Else takes us to the Dark Cave. This episode is surprisingly raw considering that most of my exploration and most of the content is new dialogue.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Kinda nice to see battles that take a minute.

It's very refreshing and it surprising how breezy some of the battles get even later in this playthrough.

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

Just finished the videos up to the latest. Good stuff. You've got this pretty chill and silly sense of humor and good editing. Watching you not just default to Protect Ring in those solo fights when your routine involved casting Wall right at the start anyway hurt to watch, though :D I know there's not a lot of game to go, but I would like to ask you to check the names of the enemies more often; not seeing the new names is a thing that bugged me in previous videos. Don't do it if that's too much bother, though.

This is some inside baseball, but let's just say I've already recorded a lot of footage so I can't go back and check if I'm getting the name of all the enemies, however it's habit I've picked back up in this eleventh hour. At the very least what I'll try to do is mention the enemy names in the video's description. I think at this point we will mostly just fight bosses and I check the names for all of them (I think).

Thanks for the compliment though! I do appreciate it; let's me know I'm on the right track.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
FinalFantasyVII.exe

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Dark Cave part looks really interesting.
Man this is a good mod (beyond drag out slugfest bossfights)

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
I simultaneously like that levelling to 99 doesn't make your guys unstoppable HP sponges/damage dispensers and hate that it makes many boss fights into "you either get Wall and Haste up and pray the boss doesn't get to go first, or you loving die/waste like three ATB rounds in a revive/buff spiral".

Changing Big Guard to give Reflect instead of Haste does make it more of a choice to use, though; do I want to sacrifice a chunk of my curative/buffing potential for cheap, early-access group Wall or sacrifice defensive capacity for versatility?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 79--
Episode 79: Somewhere Else II continues through the Dark Cave and this episode we get more boss battles!

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

I simultaneously like that levelling to 99 doesn't make your guys unstoppable HP sponges/damage dispensers and hate that it makes many boss fights into "you either get Wall and Haste up and pray the boss doesn't get to go first, or you loving die/waste like three ATB rounds in a revive/buff spiral".

Changing Big Guard to give Reflect instead of Haste does make it more of a choice to use, though; do I want to sacrifice a chunk of my curative/buffing potential for cheap, early-access group Wall or sacrifice defensive capacity for versatility?

I think that this mod pushes the mechanics of FF7 as far as they can go, but that doesn't mean that it's great all the time. I still think it's very good!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

DoubleCakes posted:

--Episode 79--
Episode 79: Somewhere Else II continues through the Dark Cave and this episode we get more boss battles!

I think that this mod pushes the mechanics of FF7 as far as they can go, but that doesn't mean that it's great all the time. I still think it's very good!

This may be my favorite update of all time :swoon:

Any chance of getting ~that part~ as a separate video?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I guess there is nothing left to try out besides throwing money at bosses.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Good episode. Made me feel like some activities would improve my mood.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
That editing was LP master tier. God drat dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DoubleCakes posted:

--Episode 79--

Yeah, I had a lot of fun playing this. Very few fights felt "cheap" *cough*Nemesis*cough* as opposed to requiring a different strategy. It still kinda has the problem of the game being extremely breakable thanks to materia, and magic still not being very good compared to normal attacks in the late game, but it's not nearly as bad as vanilla. Like my team for most of the game was Cid with maxed DEX, STR, and Luck with 4x cut and a Fury Band on for permanent berserk, Cloud and Barret on healing and status duty with Cloud occasionally casting a Break or something. There was hardly ever a reason to change from that setup with Cid smashing bad guys into paste for 20-40K per turn and the other 2 just making sure he didn't die for a few turns. Positive statuses are still horribly overpowered and negative statuses are still mostly worthless (except for Slow, which afaik every single enemy is susceptible to.) Summons are still pretty useless, too, excluding the master summon. All of the bonus stuff was really cool though. I kinda want to play again in the future in arrange mode and see what's different.

Do you mind spoilers for things you already covered? You were really close to getting the Amalgam fight, but you weren't quite right about what was going on.