Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

What are these pies
Jul 22, 2008
I'm back with ANOTHER awesome in-depth series of questions. Not related to ferrets at all (by the way, Annie is doing A LOT better, we think she has definitely passed the blockage).

For my birthday, I really REALLY want a sugar glider. I've never had a pet the was my very own (besides fish and hermit crabs- not big on cuddling!) and I think sugar gliders are the poo poo. I've been reading up on them a lot, and I definitely have the time for properly train and care for a sugar glider. The only problem is that I'm not to sure where to get them, and the breeders I have found are ridiculously expensive. I understand that they aren't cheap and that I will most likely need to pay for air shipping (unless anyone knows a breeder in SE Michigan!), but $400 for the joey and shipping seems a little steep to me. Is this normal? What is the normal price range for sugar gliders? Does anyone have past experiences with these awesome little creatures? Any info at all would be awesome! (I have been doing a lot of research, but I'm looking for some first-hand accounts and whatnot.)

Also, let me know if this would be better suited as a thread and I'll make one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Meow Cadet posted:

We're moving from a carpeted apartment, to a wood-floored house. During zoomies, I can tell the cats use the carpet for traction. Is there anything I should/could do to make their transition to wood floors easier?

Get a camera and watch for their first zoomies in the new house. You won't regret it.

I have nothing constructive to add but my friend's very skittish cat tends to go sideways around corners and it's funny every drat time.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

What are these pies posted:

I'm back with ANOTHER awesome in-depth series of questions. Not related to ferrets at all (by the way, Annie is doing A LOT better, we think she has definitely passed the blockage).

For my birthday, I really REALLY want a sugar glider. I've never had a pet the was my very own (besides fish and hermit crabs- not big on cuddling!) and I think sugar gliders are the poo poo. I've been reading up on them a lot, and I definitely have the time for properly train and care for a sugar glider. The only problem is that I'm not to sure where to get them, and the breeders I have found are ridiculously expensive. I understand that they aren't cheap and that I will most likely need to pay for air shipping (unless anyone knows a breeder in SE Michigan!), but $400 for the joey and shipping seems a little steep to me. Is this normal? What is the normal price range for sugar gliders? Does anyone have past experiences with these awesome little creatures? Any info at all would be awesome! (I have been doing a lot of research, but I'm looking for some first-hand accounts and whatnot.)

Also, let me know if this would be better suited as a thread and I'll make one.

If you didn't have the money to get the ferret surgery if she needed it, are you sure you have the money for a sugar glider? Remember that you'll have to drop an additional couple hundred on a decent cage and all the setup supplies. Plus you'll need to find a vet near you that sees sugar gliders and get any prospective new glider a checkup very soon after it arrives - it's responsible, it's the best way to catch problems, and it may reveal something covered by the breeder's health guarantee before that guarantee runs out.

mack
Mar 6, 2005
My 5 month pitty has had eye-boogers since I first got her at 2-3 months. At first I thought it was because the breeder was feeding her poo poo food, but I switched her to Natural Balance 2 months ago and still has them. Is this bad, also any ideas to getting rid of them?

What are these pies
Jul 22, 2008

maplecheese posted:

If you didn't have the money to get the ferret surgery if she needed it, are you sure you have the money for a sugar glider? Remember that you'll have to drop an additional couple hundred on a decent cage and all the setup supplies. Plus you'll need to find a vet near you that sees sugar gliders and get any prospective new glider a checkup very soon after it arrives - it's responsible, it's the best way to catch problems, and it may reveal something covered by the breeder's health guarantee before that guarantee runs out.

That's the biggest issue right now- money. The cool part is that I'm hoping to receive the glider and the cage and whatnots for a birthday present, so all I'd have to supply is vet stuff, foods, toys, and luuuuuurve.

The vet thing is a concern, you're right. I do have a bunch of vet offices around my house, I'll look into it. I'm sure one will look at exotic animals.

Thank you for the heads up on the vet visit after it arrives- I didn't think about that one! Oh maplecheese, you're just so smart :glomp:

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

I'm sure one will look at exotic animals.
Don't just find a vet that will look at exotic animals, find one who is really good and will know how to help your pet if something bad happens.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

That's the biggest issue right now- money. The cool part is that I'm hoping to receive the glider and the cage and whatnots for a birthday present, so all I'd have to supply is vet stuff, foods, toys, and luuuuuurve.

The vet thing is a concern, you're right. I do have a bunch of vet offices around my house, I'll look into it. I'm sure one will look at exotic animals.

Thank you for the heads up on the vet visit after it arrives- I didn't think about that one! Oh maplecheese, you're just so smart :glomp:

It's not as obvious as you think it is. If the breeder recently took them to the vet, it's easy to justify skipping it, but not a good idea. Even assuming the breeder's ethical and truthful, you want to make sure the animal did okay in transit and let the vet start getting to know what's normal for your particular pet.

sucks to ur assmar is also right about finding a DECENT vet. There's a vet who sees ferrets less than a mile from my house, but he sucks. For a really GOOD ferret vet I have to go way out of town. But he's amazing, diagnoses things really quickly, and has saved us a lot of money. And when you have a ferret whose medical bills are around $100 per month just for her chronic conditions - that's not counting when anything else goes wrong - that's important. (she was unusual, though, in that she had all those problems and survived for as long as she did)

Nohtenki
Jan 8, 2008
Last week my boyfriend adopted a cat from a shelter. Nori got spayed on Friday and we got her Saturday. Since then, we have not seen her poop, at least in her litter box. How long can cats go without? There is the possibility that she is pooping and just hiding it really well. My boyfriend's place (where she lives) is full of spots to hide, but he says he hasn't smelled anything. She also pees in her box just fine. Is there anything I can do to make her go? I want to try everything I can before taking her to the vet.

Nori is 8 months (we think, the shelter told us 11, then they said eight), and is pretty small. She's been eating around a spoonful of wet (right now it's Science Diet kitten, but I also bought her some Blue Buffalo for when the can is done) and around a handful of dry (Wellness Kitten) at every meal, but she doesn't eat very much. We're not starving her by any means, she just doesn't want to eat a lot. She drinks fine, though.

ETA: Jesus Christ right after I post, she's pooped, and in her box! According to my boyfriend, "one piece of poop looked exactly like a nut, except it looks like it's got hair in it. So maybe she ate some of my hair I guess? It's light brown and looked a lot like her cat food, except on one side its dark, like tar. and shes got two pieces like that and one piece is ALMOST like a normal cats poop, except it's... REALLY, REALLY tiny." Is that normal? Okay? Something to worry about? If it's something to worry about she'll be going to the vet hopefully tomorrow.

Nohtenki fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 4, 2009

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.
As long as she keeps eating and isn't throwing up or anything, I wouldn't worry. Animals, like people, have to stop eating for a bit before they go under anesthesia, so she may not have had much in her before she came home with you. Plus, they sometimes hold it if they're in a new place they're uncertain about. Be prepared for a massive stench when she does go, though.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

RazorBunny posted:

Area rugs with non-skid pads underneath. You'll want them for yourself anyway - hardwood floors get cold, and are easy to slide on in socks. It also breaks up the visual plane of a hallway or large room and makes the space seem cozier without making it feel smaller. :eng101:
And if your cat is like mine, you then get to buy new non-skid pads when they pick them out from under the corner of the rug and shred them :doh:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

For my birthday, I really REALLY want a sugar glider.

You have ferrets and you want a sugar glider? :/ I wouldn't do it unless you have tons of money lying around for vet bills, and exotics are always more expensive.

Besides (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), aren't gliders skittish? I would think have such a strong predator smell in the house would scare them. It wouldn't be a huge concern, but I don't like to keep conflicting species of animals (though that's just a personal choice and there's nothing wrong with it).

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Question about mites-

Maxi (female cat, 1yr+6months old) was being treated for ear mites when we got her from the shelter. The vet gave her a Revolution treatment two days after and the itching/ear scratching she was doing stopped immediately. It's been just shy of 2 weeks since then and she had a scratching fit- worse than before she was treated. The black specs are still there too. Now shes rubbing her head on everything and looking miserable at me.

Is this a reinfection? Revolution was supposed to last a month according to the vet. (At which point she was going to back in for another treatment and just to make sure she was clean.

Online it says this might be the eggs that were laid before have hatched and the babies are all dying now. I'm calling the vet in the morning to be safe but I hate seeing her look so unhappy. :(

Redshirt 3
Dec 2, 2004

World Domination? I'll leave that to the religious nuts or the Republicans, thank you
One of my cats has an obsessive compulsion to knock over all glasses he can find. He may just be being an rear end in a top hat for the fun of it, but I think he may have something to say to me about water, so I'd like some info on pet fountains. To anyone who has one, how often do they need to be refilled/cleaned? How easy is it to refill and clean then? And do they make a lot of noise? It'd probably have to go really close to where I sit on the computer a lot, so I'd get fed up with a constant noise pretty quickly.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I got this fountain on clearance at PETCO for $7.68:

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Catit-Small-Drinking-Fountain/dp/B0015Z3RYK

Every morning, I dump a glass of water in it to refill it. It could go for a few days before it needed to be refilled, but if I keep it full it hardly makes any noise at all. I clean it every two weeks or so, but it's never really dirty I don't have problems with it getting clogged with cat hair like some people do with fountains. This is super easy to clean, and only takes a minute or two. I usually don't refill it for a few days ahead of time so that it'll be lighter and easier to carry, then I take it to the sink, pop the top off, and scrub out the inside. My cat drinks so much more since I've gotten this, I've cut back on the wet food he was having a lot and that's saved me a bunch of money.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Staleek posted:

One of my cats has an obsessive compulsion to knock over all glasses he can find. He may just be being an rear end in a top hat for the fun of it, but I think he may have something to say to me about water, so I'd like some info on pet fountains. To anyone who has one, how often do they need to be refilled/cleaned? How easy is it to refill and clean then? And do they make a lot of noise? It'd probably have to go really close to where I sit on the computer a lot, so I'd get fed up with a constant noise pretty quickly.

I've had the Petmate fountain and the Drinkwell fountain, and the Drinkwell is vastly superior in my opinion. It's a hell of a lot easier to clean, and the cats really seem to prefer the water flowing straight down from the spout as opposed to running down a ramp. I have the reservoir for it, and I refill it about every 2 days. YMMV, since I have three cats and I live in the desert. I clean mine once a week. It's really easy to take apart and clean. However, I highly suggest spending the extra few bucks to get the cleaning kit, because it makes cleaning it really loving easy. As far as noise goes, since it has the reservoir, it's really easy to keep it full enough that it doesn't make a lot of noise. The only time it does is if I'm lazy and I forget to fill the reservoir.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Fire In The Disco posted:

I've had the Petmate fountain and the Drinkwell fountain, and the Drinkwell is vastly superior in my opinion. It's a hell of a lot easier to clean, and the cats really seem to prefer the water flowing straight down from the spout as opposed to running down a ramp. I have the reservoir for it, and I refill it about every 2 days. YMMV, since I have three cats and I live in the desert. I clean mine once a week. It's really easy to take apart and clean. However, I highly suggest spending the extra few bucks to get the cleaning kit, because it makes cleaning it really loving easy. As far as noise goes, since it has the reservoir, it's really easy to keep it full enough that it doesn't make a lot of noise. The only time it does is if I'm lazy and I forget to fill the reservoir.

The only thing I'll say about these fountains is make sure your pet doesn't have any allergies to plastic dishes before getting one. My husband and I got a Petmate fountain a few years ago, and our cat developed severe chin achne as a result. We'd never given him plastic dishes before, so we had no way of knowing. We spent hundreds of dollars at the vet to get it resolved, and finally had to get rid of the fountain anyway.

It was a bummer because the cat really liked the fountain, and no one seems to make one with a ceramic or stainless steel bowl.

Edit: Also regarding cats and water dishes, some cats don't like to drink water near their food dish. I've heard it's an instinct thing, where wild animals don't want to drink water that's been polluted by a kill. We have a couple water dishes set up around the house. The water bowls that are not near their food always seem to need refilling more often.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 4, 2009

HYDE.lana.HYDE
May 18, 2008

Staleek posted:

This. I've heard that most male cats have an obsession with running water, but I don't remember where I heard that tidbit from, I'll probably google it later.

I have pretty much the same issue. My cat tries to drink my bathwater, and will yowl until I fill up a cup with some of the running water and set it on the side of the tub for him. Also, if you're drinking a cup of water in my house, he'll climb on your lap and get in your face so he can have some too. I wash his bowl and fill it with clean water at least three or four times a day to prevent it, because I thought it might be that he was being finicky about the cleanliness of his bowl. When I put it down, he's all excited for about 2 seconds before he realizes it's HIS bowl, looks at me like, "What the hell is this crap?", and walks off.

e:

anachrodragon posted:

cats don't like their water near their food, instinct

I had no idea, that's actually pretty interesting. :D

HYDE.lana.HYDE fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 4, 2009

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Rissa posted:

And if your cat is like mine, you then get to buy new non-skid pads when they pick them out from under the corner of the rug and shred them :doh:

We always trimmed the corners anyway, because they had a tendency to get curled up and would get all dirty and funky. But we did have cats who chewed on carpet fringe, so now my mom has all smooth-edged area rugs.

ReverendScumbag
Dec 29, 2006

DALE IS RISEN
I have a cat that I rescued and bottle raised about 6 months ago. He has a vet appointment tomorrow to be neutered but he has another issue that has me slightly concerned. I noticed a few months ago that he has horrible breath. I assumed it was a problem with his teeth but he doesn't seem to be in any pain. He is extremely playful and affectionate and doesn't wince or struggle if I touch his mouth/teeth. Last night he yawned right in my face and I noticed a lumpy, red mass under his tongue accompanied by a concentrated blast of the bad breath. It will be addressed at the vet tomorrow but if anyone knows anything about this kind of thing it would be helpful. My vet has a rep for charging a LOT for stuff like this, although he is very good and I feel safer bringing my cats there. I would try to take a picture but he doesn't like me looking in his mouth.

What are these pies
Jul 22, 2008
A couple updates / more questions!!
Regarding the sugar glider- I'm waiting to save up some money to get one. Which is obviously a good choice. The cool thing is that the (awesome) vet that sees my ferrets also sees exotics, and he's a whopping 5 minutes away from my house. So I'll hopefully be getting one around April or May... Hey I could get one as a present to myself for passing the State Registry Exam for Basic EMS!! Yeaaaah! (Also- the ferrets aren't mine and I don't have to pay for any sort of ferret whatnot. So the concern about it being too expensive is valid, but a little off)

Unfortunately, some bad news. This is where advice is needed. I told you guys about Annie, our ferret with an intestinal blockage. Well, for about a week she was looking a lot better! Pooping well, less lethargic, and eating. Well, on Tuesday I went to check up on her and she was laying in her bed, just looking at me with the saddest eyes you've ever seen. I went to pick her up and realized the bedding she was wrapped up in was filled with poop. She has the worst diarrhea ever. And can't get out of bed.
I took her to the vet that day, and they said that the blockage seemed to have passed and they really didn't have a clue as to what was going on with her. Her butt, genitals, and the portion where her tail meets her body is all red and irritated from all the poop (yes, I already feel godawful for not seeing it sooner. But we thought she was just sleeping, and she needed rest), and she is sooooo thin and dehydrated, they couldn't even take blood.
So they gave us antibiotics and steroids for her, and hopefully they'd help. I've been bathing her butt 3 times a day (gently, just water) to keep the poop from making her irritated skin worse. The vet said a little bit of neosporin to help protect and sooth her skin was fine. Also, she will not get out of bed. Ever. I have to sit with her and force her to drink water out of a syringe.

Honestly, it's about 50/50 right now. I hope that we can nurse her back to health but.... she just doesn't look too good. So if any of you cared enough to read that wall of text, do you have any comments or suggestions? Anyone ever had something like this happen to their ferret? My little fuzzy-butt is only a year old, and she's not even "mine", she's my sister's. But since I take night classes and she's in middle school, I have been acting as Annie's nurse. PLEASE any help would be soooo appreciated!!!

tl;dr- My ferret is really loving sick. And suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Redshirt 3
Dec 2, 2004

World Domination? I'll leave that to the religious nuts or the Republicans, thank you
Thanks for the tips everyone, I think I will probably get one for him :) They already have a plastic dish so I doubt that will be a problem. drat spoiled cats, getting a new fountain AND a new exciting box to sit in!

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Unfortunately, some bad news. This is where advice is needed. I told you guys about Annie, our ferret with an intestinal blockage. Well, for about a week she was looking a lot better! Pooping well, less lethargic, and eating. Well, on Tuesday I went to check up on her and she was laying in her bed, just looking at me with the saddest eyes you've ever seen. I went to pick her up and realized the bedding she was wrapped up in was filled with poop. She has the worst diarrhea ever. And can't get out of bed.
I took her to the vet that day, and they said that the blockage seemed to have passed and they really didn't have a clue as to what was going on with her. Her butt, genitals, and the portion where her tail meets her body is all red and irritated from all the poop (yes, I already feel godawful for not seeing it sooner. But we thought she was just sleeping, and she needed rest), and she is sooooo thin and dehydrated, they couldn't even take blood.
So they gave us antibiotics and steroids for her, and hopefully they'd help. I've been bathing her butt 3 times a day (gently, just water) to keep the poop from making her irritated skin worse. The vet said a little bit of neosporin to help protect and sooth her skin was fine. Also, she will not get out of bed. Ever. I have to sit with her and force her to drink water out of a syringe.

Honestly, it's about 50/50 right now. I hope that we can nurse her back to health but.... she just doesn't look too good. So if any of you cared enough to read that wall of text, do you have any comments or suggestions? Anyone ever had something like this happen to their ferret? My little fuzzy-butt is only a year old, and she's not even "mine", she's my sister's. But since I take night classes and she's in middle school, I have been acting as Annie's nurse. PLEASE any help would be soooo appreciated!!!

tl;dr- My ferret is really loving sick. And suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Ohhhhh crap. What are you doing to get her to eat? She absolutely NEEDS calories to get through this. High calorie prescription wet cat food mixed with warm water can go in a syringe, and you can put Nutri-cal or another calorie supplement in her mouth... but if she's not getting any food or food substitute, she is going to DIE, and soon.

What are these pies
Jul 22, 2008
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress we're trying to get her to eat but it's a no-go. drat and also gently caress. I'll keep trying and also I will relay the news to the rest of the fam. Thanks.....

poo poo....

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.
If you have nothing else in the house and can't get anything right away, soak her normal food in hot water to make it soft and put it in a blender or food processor until it's effectively a liquid. Then syringe a little bit of that into her mouth at a time - not too much or she could choke on it.

If she's got diarrhea, she's also losing elecrolytes like crazy. You can get unflavored Pedialyte, which is an infant electrolyte replacement for babies and small children with diarrhea, at the grocery or drug store. Give her that on its own or mixed half and half with water, NOT just plain water. If you can't find that, run down to the convenience store and buy Gatorade or Powerade and mix it half and half with water. The sugar in that stuff is really bad for ferrets, but diarrhea without electrolyte replacement is worse for them.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Absolutely get her to eat something. Soften some kibble in water (warm water, but don't boil it, otherwise you'll ruin the nutritional value) and try feeding it to her off your fingers. Sometimes that's the only way animals will take food when they're sick.

Also try duk soup. You can buy a packet or jar of dry or wet mix at any pet store, which will do in a pinch. To mine, I add in one raw egg, some warm water, and a teaspoon of Ferrettone. When my girl was sick and they were having problems getting her to eat at the vet, I fixed up a batch and suddenly she was eating again, but she did have to be handfed. It takes a while, but get something into her.

If she still won't eat from your hands, you'll have no choice but to use a syringe. I have one who hates it too and will jump away if you put it near his mouth, but if she won't eat on her own, you'll have to have someone help you hold her and slowly inject the food into her mouth.

What are these pies
Jul 22, 2008
Thanks you guys, I really appreciate the input. I just got home from class and so I will be trying to feed Annie here shortly. Apparently my mom already tried earlier, but the thing is... she doesn't like being forceful. Of course you shouldn't use MUCH force, but she hates everything to do with the syringe so to even get her to drink I have to (very gently!) hold her head still and squeeze it drop by drop in there. So I will try using the same method with the mushy food.

Do you guys know of any household items that could be used to get more calories in her? Serella, you mentioned raw egg which I'm pretty sure wild ferrets eat, so that could work. I'm just so god damned worried. If she doesn't eat soon, I'm pretty sure she will die. So I want to pump as many calories into her as possible (within reason, of course).

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.
Have you guys gotten some electrolytes into her yet?

As for extra calories, you can put a bit of olive oil in the food mixture...

jess
May 26, 2005

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye

a fish hook
an open eye

mistaya posted:

Question about mites-

Maxi (female cat, 1yr+6months old) was being treated for ear mites when we got her from the shelter. The vet gave her a Revolution treatment two days after and the itching/ear scratching she was doing stopped immediately. It's been just shy of 2 weeks since then and she had a scratching fit- worse than before she was treated. The black specs are still there too. Now shes rubbing her head on everything and looking miserable at me.

Is this a reinfection? Revolution was supposed to last a month according to the vet. (At which point she was going to back in for another treatment and just to make sure she was clean.

Online it says this might be the eggs that were laid before have hatched and the babies are all dying now. I'm calling the vet in the morning to be safe but I hate seeing her look so unhappy. :(

Are you sure they're mites? I thought my former cat had ear mites once, & ear mite medication didn't clear it up. We took him to the vet & it turned out he actually had a yeast infection in his ears. Proper medication cleared it right up.

What are these pies
Jul 22, 2008

maplecheese posted:

Have you guys gotten some electrolytes into her yet?

As for extra calories, you can put a bit of olive oil in the food mixture...

Not yet... I'll get some Gatorade tomorrow, if not the Pedialyte. However, I did make a (quite sickening) gravy out of finely mashed up food and water, she had a good amount of that. And more water. AND she's wanting to get up and go exploring, but she can't walk well... at all. Is this just because she's been in bed for so long? Or could something be wrong with her legs? They're definitely not broken. I'm guessing she's still really weak. But she has been fighting me more about sitting still for water, and I'm taking that as a good sign!

But it is bed time for this human- I'm coming down with a nasty cold that half my family and half my class has... And I have a job interview tomorrow. Thank you for all the help though. I really really appreciate it.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate the input. I just got home from class and so I will be trying to feed Annie here shortly. Apparently my mom already tried earlier, but the thing is... she doesn't like being forceful. Of course you shouldn't use MUCH force, but she hates everything to do with the syringe so to even get her to drink I have to (very gently!) hold her head still and squeeze it drop by drop in there. So I will try using the same method with the mushy food.

Do you guys know of any household items that could be used to get more calories in her? Serella, you mentioned raw egg which I'm pretty sure wild ferrets eat, so that could work. I'm just so god damned worried. If she doesn't eat soon, I'm pretty sure she will die. So I want to pump as many calories into her as possible (within reason, of course).

That slowly but surely method is your best bet. Feed her a little at a time that way. When my girl was sick, I would feed her every two hours and within two days she was well enough to eat and drink on her own, with only one or two supplemental feedings for a few days after that.

By the way, be careful if you're sick. It's no big deal if it's just a cold, but ferrets can catch the flu from humans!

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Not yet... I'll get some Gatorade tomorrow, if not the Pedialyte. However, I did make a (quite sickening) gravy out of finely mashed up food and water, she had a good amount of that. And more water. AND she's wanting to get up and go exploring, but she can't walk well... at all. Is this just because she's been in bed for so long? Or could something be wrong with her legs? They're definitely not broken. I'm guessing she's still really weak. But she has been fighting me more about sitting still for water, and I'm taking that as a good sign!

But it is bed time for this human- I'm coming down with a nasty cold that half my family and half my class has... And I have a job interview tomorrow. Thank you for all the help though. I really really appreciate it.

I'm so glad you got some calories into her. She needs those more than anything, really. If she's wanting to move more, that's an excellent sign. Her walking trouble could be because she's just weak from diarrhea and lack of calories, or it could be a sign of something else... does it seem like her back end is weaker than her front? Anyway, make sure that she can get to her food, water, and litterbox easily - they should all be on the same cage level.

What kind of ferret food are you guys using? It's always worthwhile to switch to something high quality, but it may be even more helpful in this situation to find something with more protein and fat. And, weirdly enough, most ferret food is so ridiculously overpriced that a larger bag of ultra-premium cat food (what I and a lot of other ferret people feed) generally costs less per pound than most things sold specifically for ferrets.

If she's still having the diarrhea, try to find some children's cherry Kaopectate and give her about 1 ml once or twice a day. It's one of those things that's again NOT good for them because of the sugar, but healthier than all that diarrhea.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

maplecheese posted:

What kind of ferret food are you guys using? It's always worthwhile to switch to something high quality, but it may be even more helpful in this situation to find something with more protein and fat. And, weirdly enough, most ferret food is so ridiculously overpriced that a larger bag of ultra-premium cat food (what I and a lot of other ferret people feed) generally costs less per pound than most things sold specifically for ferrets.

Not the best idea to switch foods while the ferret is already sick and weak. Lots of animals don't take well to a sudden switch and it should be done gradually, phasing out the old food. Besides, if the old food isn't as high in protein or fat, a richer food could upset her already-precarious gastrointestinal balance. I'd say once she starts to get better and eat on her own, slowly introduce a better food -- that is, unless you've already got her on a good food. ;)

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Serella posted:

Not the best idea to switch foods while the ferret is already sick and weak. Lots of animals don't take well to a sudden switch and it should be done gradually, phasing out the old food. Besides, if the old food isn't as high in protein or fat, a richer food could upset her already-precarious gastrointestinal balance. I'd say once she starts to get better and eat on her own, slowly introduce a better food -- that is, unless you've already got her on a good food. ;)

I figure that the ferret is already having a lot of things that will throw off her digestion even more than a switch from one ferret food to another ferret food - the sugar in the Gatorade or Pedialyte, the egg and/or olive oil added to the food slurry, the sugar in the Kaopectate, the Nutrical if they pick some up, the different meats in the duck soup recipes if What are these pies makes some - that any dry-food-related upsets are going to pale in comparison. If the food is good or okay, then yeah, there's no need to mess with it while she's still recovering, but if it really sucks, the addition of something with more protein and fat could really help her.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
I dunno I'm starting to think maybe this ferret saga is actually deserving its own thread. A lot of educated PI'ers don't keep up with this thread, and they might know something that could save the poor weasel's life. Good luck, what are these pies. I hope she makes it through this. :(

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

randomity posted:

I dunno I'm starting to think maybe this ferret saga is actually deserving its own thread. A lot of educated PI'ers don't keep up with this thread, and they might know something that could save the poor weasel's life. Good luck, what are these pies. I hope she makes it through this. :(

QFT. I don't have ferrets so can't help unfortunately, but "Help me save my sick pet" would be a thread I'd follow.

What are these pies
Jul 22, 2008
Thanks you guys! Opening new thread right now, then it's off to feed my baby again. Maplecheese, you suggested Gatorade, and I was wondering if Propel would have an equal effect, or be better / worse. The main worry in that is the fake sugar stuff.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.
I'm tired of encountering loose dogs running around my neighborhood while walking my own. They've managed to evade animal control whenever I call them in. Assuming that I get the OK from AC/Humane Society what type of live catch trap should I use in my backyard to reduce the chances of the unleashed dogs wandering into the path of a passing car? So far Havahart looks pretty good, but I have no firsthand experience.

edit: I found the owners of one of the dogs (who has been running arund for a while with an injured paw) and called them in. Here's hoping the local authorities convince them that neglect isn't cool.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 6, 2009

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

bigeaux, it's showtime, chah
Anyone know of any home remedies for gas in cats? I'm already working with the vet, but if anyone knows of any treats/types of food/herbs/whatnot that's also known to help, it'd be useful to me.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Probiotic yogurt is a pretty solid gas treatment in most animals, since it introduces beneficial flora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotetoFurai
Jul 25, 2007
Coincidentally I'm looking for a good dog food for dogs with sensitive stomachs. A friend of mine has a puppy that is gassy with runny stools and they are getting fed up with "high quality grain free" diets and are reverting back to purina! Any food brands I can recommend?