Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Brrrmph posted:

Body only it’s $500 more than the X-T30ii. That’s ridiculous. I love Fuji but the X100 series success may have gone to their heads. A FF Nikon Z6ii is less than $100 more on B&H.

With the R&D being so low for it and most the parts being robbed Xt5 ones, they probably guess they can risk it.
Doesn't sell? Knock off a few hundred in 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

With the 40MP sensor, and the film simulation dial replacing the ISO dial, it looks like the X-T50 is being positioned as an X100 alternative for those interested in changing lenses. The big MP number might also help in marketing against the entry-level full-frame offerings from Canikony, and the current crop of 40MP+ smartphones

There's still room for an X-T300 with the 26MP sensor to be the retro twin to the X-S20, and to occupy the space where the X-T30 II lived

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't get it at all, weather sealing alone is worth the extra $300.

Oh well if it keeps tiktok busy and prevents Fuji from loving with the X-T6 (please god don't go completely insane because of the X100) it's fine.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm not tempted by the X-T50 at all but a film simulation dial seems like a bridge too far. New lens looks nice, I might get an X-T5 with it when I finally make the leap to interchangeable lenses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fuji watched one too many YouTube vloggers getting wet over their film sims and decided the only logical choice was to build a camera around that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The idea of being able to switch film sims without menu diving is good but it doesn't need its own dial. Make it something you can set one of the buttons/dials to do. And include the custom sims since I use those most of the time. And also a way to reset everything to zero without having to burn one of your custom sims on it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
You can already set any of the little wheels/dials (at least on the X100V) to scroll between film simulations.

The dial itself also only controls the base simulation used; it feels like it would be way more useful if it could be set to scroll between profiles.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

xzzy posted:

Fuji watched one too many YouTube vloggers getting wet over their film sims and decided the only logical choice was to build a camera around that.

Definitely feels like this camera was designed by marketers while engineers and photographers sat on the sideline.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

illcendiary posted:

You can already set any of the little wheels/dials (at least on the X100V) to scroll between film simulations.

Huh, I missed that. I do have a Q menu set up for my custom film sims and that's easy to navigate. Still going to complain there's no way to reset all the jpeg stuff to zero unless you use a custom sim for it, and for whatever reason you only get seven of those on a T4.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Honestly, it’s dumb pricing. But if it keeps people off the pro stock, I’m fine.

I keep an x-t30ii as a backup. It’ll never be my primary camera though.

I’ll wait a while till the X-T6 comes out and buy a used 5 for $1000.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

The idea of being able to switch film sims without menu diving is good but it doesn't need its own dial. Make it something you can set one of the buttons/dials to do. And include the custom sims since I use those most of the time. And also a way to reset everything to zero without having to burn one of your custom sims on it.

The back wheel on my XE3 is set to scroll between my presets (1 being Provia/default and 2+ being fujix flavors)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Huh, I missed that. I do have a Q menu set up for my custom film sims and that's easy to navigate. Still going to complain there's no way to reset all the jpeg stuff to zero unless you use a custom sim for it, and for whatever reason you only get seven of those on a T4.

On the X-T20, I have the film sims on one of the four D-pad buttons, and that has never felt insufficient or buried out of reach.

Guess I’ll just save a few more pennies and go for the X-T5.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Wikipedia tells me that the X-T3, 4, and 5 were all released 2 years apart, and that the 5 will be two years old this fall. I've got a partially-functional X-T2 that I was hoping to replace with an X-T5 when the X-T6 releases and used prices drop a bit. Is there any reason to believe the announcement of the X-T50 means the X-T6 won't be coming out this year?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

If you want to predict by previous release dates, it looks like an X-T$0 model has never been released in the same year as a new X-T$ model. To release 2 such similar cameras in the same year, I imagine a theoretical X-T6 would have to do something fairly special, especially seeing as the X-T50 has taken on flagship features like 40MP and IBIS.

Who knows though, if anyone has the market clout to pull it off, it’s Fuji.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I think Covid messed up that cycle and the X-T5 is here until at least fall of 2025, imo. I think next year we’ll get the X-E5 and X-Pro4, but what do I know.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So Panasonic is releasing a $1500 full frame sensor, interchangeable lens compact body with customizable color profiles [you can make your own film simulations] and no viewfinder :dawkins101:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

But why? :psyduck: it looks like the Z30 and the Zfc/Zf had a full-frame baby...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's insane because the new lens they're promoting with it is manual focus. Love doing that on a rear screen.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

social media people apparently don't want a viewfinder :xd:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

And no mechanical shutter either , so yeah, just a really snazzy vlogcam. I guess they can at least say it’s cheaper and prettier than the ZV-E1?

qirex posted:

it's insane because the new lens they're promoting with it is manual focus. Love doing that on a rear screen.

And F8 fixed aperture. I was convinced that was a typo at first, because holy hell, what an abomination of a lens.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 22, 2024

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

qirex posted:

So Panasonic is releasing a $1500 full frame sensor, interchangeable lens compact body with customizable color profiles [you can make your own film simulations] and no viewfinder :dawkins101:

I had started to press my mouse button to pre-order this until I saw the no viewfinder part :smith:

Was really hoping to finally have found a cheap pseudo Q2

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

RillAkBea posted:

And no mechanical shutter either , so yeah, just a really snazzy vlogcam. I guess they can at least say it’s cheaper and prettier than the ZV-E1?

And F8 fixed aperture. I was convinced that was a typo at first, because holy hell, what an abomination of a lens.

I missed that but hey, everything will be in focus! Also blurry because of the long shutter speed.

I'm guessing this was the camera people were thinking would be an LX100 mk3?

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Oh it's a sigma fp, on the same mount even.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRULM5-qFA8&t=244s

I kind of assumed that with no mechanical shutter, they'd have the sensor to back it up. Apparently not.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

qirex posted:

26mm f8 fixed aperture manual focus for $200.

How about making a S1 successor please..

Hopefully with the lack of shutter you won’t get all the terrible effects of slow sensor readout.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Hopefully with the lack of shutter you won’t get all the terrible effects of slow sensor readout.
Bad news, see above! :v:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I kinda like the idea of cheap tiny manual focus lenses on a mirrorless cameras with good focus peeking

I'm not sure I get the point of a compact full frame setup that captures less light than a 1" RX100 and doesn't really fit in your pocket

It's not even that much smaller than Canon's 28mm 2.8 pancake

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It would be a lot more attractive lens with a distance scale

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

There are already so many superior ~$200 manual focus lenses that can be adapted onto l-mount in this world. Making that lens honestly just seems wasteful at best.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

They're literally giving away the dumb f8 lens with body-only pre-orders, so I imagine it's just a cheap way to make it functional if for some strange reason you don't want the package with the 20-60mm lens.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Holy poo poo its manual focus and doesn't have a distance scale on the focus ring

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Holy poo poo its manual focus and doesn't have a distance scale on the focus ring

According to this release I'm convinced nobody at panasonic actually takes photos. It's baffling.

[e] and loves microplastics as all of these lenses are straight to landfill. gently caress this company

tuna fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 24, 2024

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Olympus has that 9mm f/8 fisheye bodycap lens thing too. I think if it's mainly a throw in I'd rather have this but I'd pay for neither.

Are you all actually using distance scales with your manual focus lenses on camera with live view? I guess I do want them to be good an accurate on cinema lenses when I'm pulling focus, but for stills I've rarely even glanced at them with my ZF lenses.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

powderific posted:

Are you all actually using distance scales with your manual focus lenses on camera with live view? I guess I do want them to be good an accurate on cinema lenses when I'm pulling focus, but for stills I've rarely even glanced at them with my ZF lenses.

Yes because its fun! The Q autofocus sucks so it's nice to have the photo take when I press the drat shutter button instead of hunting for AF and never taking the shot.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I love the idea of the distance/dof scales, but I'm so bad at estimating distances. I guess if I practiced a lot with photography, it could help me with that, but I'd have so many missed shots.

It is kinda nice to set up that hyperfocal distance if you're not shooting close and go hog wild.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tuna posted:

Yes because its fun! The Q autofocus sucks so it's nice to have the photo take when I press the drat shutter button instead of hunting for AF and never taking the shot.

I do like snap focus on my GR

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

RillAkBea posted:

If you want to predict by previous release dates, it looks like an X-T$0 model has never been released in the same year as a new X-T$ model. To release 2 such similar cameras in the same year, I imagine a theoretical X-T6 would have to do something fairly special, especially seeing as the X-T50 has taken on flagship features like 40MP and IBIS.

Who knows though, if anyone has the market clout to pull it off, it’s Fuji.

Brrrmph posted:

I think Covid messed up that cycle and the X-T5 is here until at least fall of 2025, imo. I think next year we’ll get the X-E5 and X-Pro4, but what do I know.

Thanks for these. Fuji repair got back to me with a frankly ridiculous quote to repair my broken LCD screen, so I went ahead and ordered an X-T5.

Protip: you can buy replacement LCD screens for these cameras on eBay for very little money, and there are videos on youtube showing you how swap a new screen in for a broken one, but I do not recommend trying it because there's a very high risk you'll make it all worse :smith:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Thanks for these. Fuji repair got back to me with a frankly ridiculous quote to repair my broken LCD screen, so I went ahead and ordered an X-T5.

Nice! For what it's worth, the XT-5 is an absurdly good camera. It fixed a lot of annoyances photographers had from the XT-4 (flip screen etc) that will make it a relevant camera for way longer than the interlude between 3/4/5, because, trust me, Fuji will manage to gently caress up the XT6/7/etc somehow because they hate money.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I love the idea of the distance/dof scales, but I'm so bad at estimating distances. I guess if I practiced a lot with photography, it could help me with that, but I'd have so many missed shots.

It is kinda nice to set up that hyperfocal distance if you're not shooting close and go hog wild.

Same, I have a Lomo LCA (scale focus 35mm film camera) and I have more missed shots than I’d care to admit. It doesn’t help you can’t set the aperture, so you’re at the mercy of its 1980s Soviet pea-brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I really want the X-T5 but even with retail therapy urges I just can't really find a reason to swap from my X-E3. The X-E3 takes really great pictures and is far better at photography than I am hah