Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Anyone who goes for Logan or Fang is part of the most boring group of people on the planet.

some people need safe choices, other people need miguel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I've heard Qi is a surprisingly good choice.

My only completed game I went with Mi-an and she was good start to finish. Half played a second game, undecided between Grace and Nia, and was frustrated by how much of the game left you single waiting on plot to happen. I get it and it makes sense but it makes it hard to choose either of them in a game this long.

I think when I pick up the game again I'll go with Heidi. She's a cutie and she's available right from the start.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Another day, another guide thrown together. This one is on Stamina Food.

Wiki wasn't helpful for what I was looking for (lol Fandom is trash), and the only other guide I found was this schlock that ranks the absolute least cost-efficient food as their #1 recommendation. It's not even the best type food in any other way. I don't even use the Blue Moon To-Go price. I determined the value of the ingredients and found it was worth half the To-Go price, and it's STILL the worst food cost-wise, and not even great stamina-wise.

This has been my hyperfixation of the day. Thank you.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 17, 2024

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
To add on to that, make sure you eat your meals at the restaurant every day! They're dirt cheap and basically restore all of your stamina. Start with the special and then add on cheap dishes if you're broke, or more expensive dishes if the stamina is worth more than the money.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's a good idea to check out for the guide. Hyperfixation train don't stop! Choo choo!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
okay, so the Saloon doesn't really care what Dine on to determine your stamina. It's entirely a function of how much gold you spend.

So if you buy 10g worth of food, you'll recover 15 stamina. 1.5 efficiency.

You can eat up to 10 individual items on the menu. So you'd think the strategy is to eat the 10 most expensive individual items. But here's the rub, once you go over 20g, the total efficiency is lowered for every gold more.

20g worth of food, 30 stamina. Still 1.5 eff.
30g = 40 stamina. 1.33 eff.
382g = 184 stamina. 0.48 eff.

So even at the most efficient, 1.5 eff is lower than 7 other foods you can easily make, and you're not getting that much stamina out of it.

Of course, the day's Special will usually be heavily discounted. So maybe you can get a little bit of stamina back at a really nice efficiency. But it's still not really that much.

My special today was something that normally costs 21g on sale for 6g. 31 stamina. 1.48 eff to 5.17.

tl:dr:
No reason not to have the day's Special for a cheap small amount of Stamina. Everything else is very meh.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 17, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that basing it on cost is a mistake. the ease of procuring the ingredients is more important, as the monetary cost of food quickly becomes trivial. also, no food actually adds that much stamina compared to your total, so you need to use something you can produce in large quantities. it's better to use a strictly worse food than anything with fish, because you can't buy fish and fishing is slow. likewise, ingredients that must be individually gathered are worse than those you can grow or buy.

or you can just ignore the entire system and buy stamina medicine from vending machines which is vastly more efficient.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah, if you're in end-game then you probably don't care about cost-efficiency. How very observant of you.

If you're not yet beyond the need for money, say, any other part of the game, yeah you might be interested in how much extra stamina is costing you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not really endgame. the cost of food and ingredients from shops is very quickly outpaced by commission income. the only real money sink is upgrading your property.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
In fairness to you, endgame seems to start 2-3 seasons in.

Here's the Saloon Dine-In Cost/Stamina function.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 17, 2024

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zesty posted:

okay, so the Saloon doesn't really care what Dine on to determine your stamina. It's entirely a function of how much gold you spend.

So if you buy 10g worth of food, you'll recover 15 stamina. 1.5 efficiency.

You can eat up to 10 individual items on the menu. So you'd think the strategy is to eat the 10 most expensive individual items. But here's the rub, once you go over 20g, the total efficiency is lowered for every gold more.

20g worth of food, 30 stamina. Still 1.5 eff.
30g = 40 stamina. 1.33 eff.
382g = 184 stamina. 0.48 eff.

So even at the most efficient, 1.5 eff is lower than 7 other foods you can easily make, and you're not getting that much stamina out of it.

Of course, the day's Special will usually be heavily discounted. So maybe you can get a little bit of stamina back at a really nice efficiency. But it's still not really that much.

My special today was something that normally costs 21g on sale for 6g. 31 stamina. 1.48 eff to 5.17.

tl:dr:
No reason not to have the day's Special for a cheap small amount of Stamina. Everything else is very meh.

Remember that you can eat two meals, so you can drain your stamina, then chow down on 2 meals and be more or less good to go. It's a super cheap way to get a lot more stamina for your day, especially in the early game. Makes getting ahead of the curve on gathering materials that much easier.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just eat two specials in a row every day.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Big update soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic5Q14CrHtw

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Burgess is just a water cop and ACAB.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zesty posted:

sounds like something a degenerate water criminal would say

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zesty posted:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Sunday Morning posted:

I've heard Qi is a surprisingly good choice.

I came in to say that I've been really disappointed in Qi. I picked him because nerd, but he doesn't have many options of what he can do.

Unsuur is a cop, so he's out.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Miguel is the trad. cons. guy you need.
Or turn into a crazy pet hoarder.

Those are the last two options left.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

My sandrock marriage failure was saving myself for the Nia romance and then scheduling the marriage to the same day as a mandatory event.
Marriage was annulled and Nia was mad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

To add on to that, make sure you eat your meals at the restaurant every day! They're dirt cheap and basically restore all of your stamina. Start with the special and then add on cheap dishes if you're broke, or more expensive dishes if the stamina is worth more than the money.

Also IIRC everything not for sale gives an amount of stamina directly proportional to its price? I remember spending a while trying to figure out if some foods were more effective than others, but I think it's all just a way of directly spending gold for stamina at the same conversion rate.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Issaries posted:

My sandrock marriage failure was saving myself for the Nia romance and then scheduling the marriage to the same day as a mandatory event.
Marriage was annulled and Nia was mad.

lol yep, same here. I scheduled it then because the builder's parents were in town for the final celebration and I was hoping that would mean a bit more dialogue. I reloaded and fixed the timing and no new lines, unfortunately.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's raining.

This is my like, every hour.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah rain days are insanely rare but incredible when they happen

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How'd this even happen? Goddamn it.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

It's funny when Burgess is tearfully convinced he's a villain because he's the only one naive enough to believe Bronco the Kid's paranoid accusations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zesty posted:

How'd this even happen? Goddamn it.

I'm looking forward to your marriage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
burgess is a good boy and you could do worse. for example, most of the other dudes in town.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:yikes:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

He's having a flashback to his time as a child and the Builder is doing their best to comfort him while he's dealing with his trauma. There's nothing untoward about this scene.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah, when someone is having a seizure-induced delusion of their now-deceased mother, that's the time for me to strike for some romance points.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sorry I know women that is into men like that

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zesty posted:

Yeah, when someone is having a seizure-induced delusion of their now-deceased mother, that's the time for me to strike for some romance points.

It's literally a choice of "hey, I really care for this guy and I want to help him through it" or "well, we're just friends and this is getting a bit heavy for me; I'll offer some support, but I'm going to draw a hard line here."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I need to remember to write up my thoughts on this game.

I love the game. I am excited for whatever they do next. But boooooooooooy do I have some major complaints with Sandrock.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Last Bachelor enters the chat:

He is a bit of a bad boy.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zesty posted:

I know it has a heart on it, but I kinda remember being in that moment as someone not romancing him and thinking "I think it's odd that a simply supportive line is marked for potential romance." But apparently you can do heart options without locking them in a romance, so that's fine.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Looking up other people's house designs for inspiration, but everyone else seems to be making huge mcmansions or southern plantations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh hey, the barber has way more hairstyles than what's available at character creation.

Not exactly twists, but I kind of like it?

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 22, 2024

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Zesty posted:

Looking up other people's house designs for inspiration, but everyone else seems to be making huge mcmansions or southern plantations.

There was a great contest-winning design that had a very Southwestern Ranch feel that I cribbed from:

skeleton warrior posted:

Overall house, largely inspired by a design I saw in an official Sandrock House Design contest:

Close-up of the courtyard, where you can see the entrance to the home office on the left, the main house on the right, the garden in the back behind the trees, and Heidi sighing at my architectural choices:

Using the Terrace as a faux-porch works out really well IMO.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I ran out of money when making a place. It’s got three balconies, so I think I accidentally made a McMansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I didn't fully complete the story yet but my house is exemplary "Male Living Space" with an attic stapled on where I store my stat boosters.