Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i will represent ireland next year with jedward and the song will be called "weird uncle" and the song will start with them sitting on my knees :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:thunk:

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

crispix posted:

i will represent ireland next year with jedward and the song will be called "weird uncle" and the song will start with them sitting on my knees :heysexy:

I guess the song is about England?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The more I listen to Maneskin the more I want them to go global, they're legit even live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouxf_pDWsFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssDtj1uL1Go

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

the panacea posted:

I guess the song is about England?

no then it would be like "psychotic step dad"

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I think I developed a crush on the Maneskin singer, drat that dude is gorgeous

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

szary posted:

HARD same. He looks like sexy half naked young Perry Farrell.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Eurovision needs a "Ken Jennings" type figure to deservingly win 14 years in a row

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

szary posted:

The drummer though

https://mobile.twitter.com/mylordxerm/status/1395998225820233729

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Palpek posted:

The more I listen to Maneskin the more I want them to go global, they're legit even live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouxf_pDWsFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssDtj1uL1Go

Hell yeah. Getting some Arctic Monkeys vibes from some of those. They also got a cool drummer, that's like half a band already.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Maneskin's the first act to win where I've actually sought out their album afterwards. It's pretty good.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:hmmyes:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Hell yeah. Getting some Arctic Monkeys vibes from some of those. They also got a cool drummer, that's like half a band already.

I keep telling my friends it’s “sexy Italian Queens of the Stoneage”

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I keep telling my friends it’s “sexy Italian Queens of the Stoneage”

That is accurate.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Spain should send this guy next year, just a massive drum solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JXv-0bkCWU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I preferred the Italian song over the Finland song. I found the Finnish song to be a little too samey over the whole. Not enough difference in the different parts of the song.

That Italian song feels much better composed.

I also didn't like the lyrics much in the Finnish version, but from what I've read that's more because that's in English whereas I don't understand a word of Italian.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Darth TNT posted:

I preferred the Italian song over the Finland song. I found the Finnish song to be a little too samey over the whole. Not enough difference in the different parts of the song.

That Italian song feels much better composed.

I also didn't like the lyrics much in the Finnish version, but from what I've read that's more because that's in English whereas I don't understand a word of Italian.

Even more reason for countries to send their own language. I can't even read the lyrics for the Ukrainian one!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I hope the next singer San Marino sends does a collaboration with Pitbull. That would be very dale of them.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

God help me but I've been singing El Diablo all weekend, it's so drat catchy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's a bit surprising that no one (AFAICR) has tried to hire a Japanese/Korean artist/group.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kind of bummed they canceled the Asiavision contest because seeing Korea and Japan freak out over Vietnam winning would be kind of funny.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I would love to see some wild north korean pop acts

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I think you rarely get entrants who already have a big international reputation because the risk/reward ratio is pretty bad. Yeah, you might win, but Eurovision isn't exactly a major music award, and there's a strong chance you'll bomb with the Eurovision crowd and be publicly humiliated.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ralph Crammed In posted:

:same: Lotta good songs this year.

San Marino's song is also drat catchy and wouldn't be out of place in a Miami nightclub.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pookah posted:

I think you rarely get entrants who already have a big international reputation because the risk/reward ratio is pretty bad. Yeah, you might win, but Eurovision isn't exactly a major music award, and there's a strong chance you'll bomb with the Eurovision crowd and be publicly humiliated.

It's still amazing that Madonna was not even a contestant in 2019 and somehow managed to be the worst act during that year.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

San Marino's song is also drat catchy and wouldn't be out of place in a Miami nightclub.

I do appreciate that I overheard its poor showing being indicative of the 'fuego' sound being dead and passé, but I'm not sure the Miami nightclubs would

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Mierenneuker posted:

It's still amazing that Madonna was not even a contestant in 2019 and somehow managed to be the worst act during that year.

she looked and sounded shitfaced

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

in the semis I was really enjoying the first two minutes of the song until I was like wait, is that Flo Rida?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

It was all very inexplicable. I've never heard she's awful live or anything.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Yeah I badly need that chorus to stop popping into my head like 5 or 6 times every single day since the finals!!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
SOMETHING SOMETHING BLAH BLAH EL DIABLO! EL DIABLOOOO!

They had a bunch of catchy songs this year.

edit This popped up in my playlist yesterday. Fun little song.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 1, 2021

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Russia's Manizha is very good too, was listening to her stuff yesterday.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I imagine you can pretty thoroughly scrub your brain of El Diablo by just listening to a lot of Lady Gaga. Well scrub your brain or get a truly evil ear worm of all of it melted together.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

zedprime posted:

I imagine you can pretty thoroughly scrub your brain of El Diablo by just listening to a lot of Lady Gaga. Well scrub your brain or get a truly evil ear worm of all of it melted together.

my brain just started mixing it with Shakira for ??? reason

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

zedprime posted:

rah rah-ah-ah-ah, roma, roma-ma, gaga, ooh-la-la, EL DIABLO

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Crameltonian posted:

Maybe next year every country should send an act based on historical atrocities they've committed. The Big Five would finally get their moment to shine.

The likes of San Marino... eh, I'm sure they'll find something. Or they can just hire Flo Rida again.

I mean the Netherlands kind of did that this year. It's just no one knew because no one listens to lyrics.

Also if you want to feel decrepit while you're lusting after Maneskin, look up how old they all are.

None of the band members were born before 2000.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Finally caught up and watched the finals! Italy had the best/most accessible overall package, even if it wasn’t my favorite song or performance; so I’m not shocked they won. I’m happy with it, tbh.

Thoughts:

Sweden was pitchy as hell, I felt bad cause you could hear his nervousness through the mic, even if he did a good job hiding it in performance.

Switzerland’s whole thing was pretentious and I despised it.

France’s whole thing was pretentious and I liked it.

Moldova had my favorite backing track, that instrumental hook is sneaky good, even if the song itself was meh.

Ukraine owned. Top to bottom my favorite.

Italy and Finland were super nostalgic and they both gave good performances that I really appreciated. Outside of maybe France, the two best stage presences were these groups.

Malta, Cyprus, and Azerbaijan all had really good hooks, I would forget the rest of the song immediately tho.

Lithuania was the right amount of camp, Germany was obnoxious.

Iceland’s song was really really good, not just Eurovision good. Legit the best produced and cohesive song in the competition imo. Sucks about their performance being cancelled. And sucks that they couldn’t do 2020’s song, which was even better.

Greece’s song is a mess, and the production was a jumbled mess, but I somehow still agreed that they were a top 10 performance.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FartingBedpost posted:

Switzerland’s whole thing was pretentious and I despised it.

France’s whole thing was pretentious and I liked it.

You have a way with words :3:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The French song was the most French it could ever be and that was part of its charm for me.

I have had “It’s My Life” by Cezar in my head since I woke up and I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
luuuhf is soooo briiiiiiighhhht

lhiiiiike a dhiiiiiiaaamhooooooond iiiiiiinn tssseeeeeh niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :drac: