Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

To further put the Mozz on the WEagles, I get Hawthorn vibes from them.

Insomuch as they arent good, but not as bad as people have said they should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

eags for the flag

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gabensraum posted:

eags for the flag

Just happy to get out of that with a win tbh

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
is muyb ok?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Losing Lever in the opening term hurt as it dragged May a lot further up the ground, but overall the Dees just got jumped by a game plan and committed opponent and couldn't work through it. The Dees looked disinterested for most of the game and everything was off the back foot.

Ben Brown lost just about every contested marking situation he was in, and the amount of soccers off the deck by Melbourne players was a bit embarrassing given it was perfect conditions for playing footy.

West Coast spanked the Dees around the midfield and that just dictated terms for most of the game.

Also, MacDonald is taller and heavier than Waterman and yet got comprehensively beaten in contested marking all game long, which was pretty disappointing.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
We have to be the most unconvincing team to be sitting second on the ladder at this stage in the season in a long time. Besides a short burst in the 3rd quarter where we blew Norf away it was incredibly uninspiring football.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
OK now that is a premo stat.

https://x.com/sirswampthing/status/1792179401183940803

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Melbourne's drafting won us a flag, now our list management is robbing us of the chance at another.

Grundy was a massive mistake and a distraction all last year.

Harmes, Hunt, Jordon, Bedford all left and are now regular first 22 players at their new clubs. They would be getting a game for us right now.

Billings, Schache, Fullarton, Hunter came to the club but are all crabs giving us nothing.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Windmill Hut posted:

Melbourne's drafting won us a flag, now our list management is robbing us of the chance at another.

Harmes, Hunt, Jordon, Bedford all left and are now regular first 22 players at their new clubs. They would be getting a game for us right now.

Billings, Schache, Fullarton, Hunter came to the club but are all crabs giving us nothing.

Agree with this except for Harmes and Hunt. They were fringe players at best. I also reckon we try much harder to hold onto at least one of Harmes or Jordon had we known Brayshaw would retire.

Starving Bedford of opportunities a massive mistake.

Hunter and Billings are absolute trash. Schache I don’t even know what to say. I’ve heard the club rates what he does in intraclub and VFL but we lost a final by two points with him as the unactivated sub while Gawn played through a broken toe so they clearly aren’t that confident in him.

Honestly I think we’ve taken a game plan that put us in winning positions for two finals last year and decided to completely gently caress it up for some reason. Maybe the loss of Yze in the coaching box is even bigger than we thought. This is the kind of change I was expecting to see when Gawn and May are clearly on the decline, not sure why we’ve decided we can do better than capitalising on some of the best structural players we’ve seen in decades and brought that change forward in favour of…gently caress knows.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also reid > judd

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Looking forward to reid coming to carlton

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

gabensraum posted:

Looking forward to reid coming to carlton

Just need another drug scandal to blow the WCE up again

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/as-tigers-season-turns-to-nightmare-rioli-awaits-dreamtime-clash-20240520-p5jf21.html

quote:

Sydney midfielder Luke Parker has been sent straight to the VFL tribunal after he felled Frankston ruckman Josh Smith on Friday night in an incident that left Smith in hospital.

It means Parker could face a penalty of five matches or more for the bump, which resulted in facial fractures and surgery for Smith.

You'd hope it's a fair bit more than 5 for an off the ball head high bump that sent a bloke to hospital with facial fractures

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The parallels to Judd are pretty apt, just dudes who rolled on to the scene somehow fully formed and ready to dominate.

I think we played Judd in one WAFL game at 18yo and he kicked a bag and had like 20 tackles, went straight into AFL and never looked back. Bloke was ridiculous. Being in those crowds then and now it's the same feeling with Reid, every touch you get amped hoping it could be something special and most of the time it is. Some of the time it's like nothing you've ever seen before.

I would expect the exact same Judd trajectory with Reid. He's at a team that wins a premiership or two every decade. He'll tick that off, grab a brownlow, probably even be captain like Judd and then he can do whatever he likes. You've already done everything in the game, cash in a stupid contract so you can go and become a legend back in your home state while getting vic media dicksucked for life. Or hell, stay and keep filling that trophy cabinet.

If it works out half as well as it did for the Eagles as it did last time i'll be over the moon. We picked up a pair of future 200 game players, one of which will be an AFL legend ( speaking about Masten of course). The thought of getting to watch another 15 years of this guy playing for my team though... phwoa, gently caress thats some good poo poo.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
You just broke a totally unrelated memory somehow: in 1989 I had the full set of Stimerol footy cards and about 300 swaps, and I swear 100 of the swaps were Chris Mainwaring. Every pack would have one with his blond mop running down the field. The packs seemed to have other Eagles and Bears disproportionately, too. I have wondered whether the shop I bought them from in NW Tassie just had a big set of boxes that were sent to non-vic states, or if the VFL was trying to promote their expansion sides.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Shame, he looks so much better in black and red

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Windmill Hut posted:

Also just a reminder we got robbed from getting Mac Andrew as well. He'd be a handy addition at the moment given the dearth of talented young talls on the list.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/as-tigers-season-turns-to-nightmare-rioli-awaits-dreamtime-clash-20240520-p5jf21.html

You'd hope it's a fair bit more than 5 for an off the ball head high bump that sent a bloke to hospital with facial fractures

I don't understand how he could get less than Webster, which was 7 weeks.

snaeksikn posted:

Also just a reminder we got robbed from getting Mac Andrew as well. He'd be a handy addition at the moment given the dearth of talented young talls on the list.

We'll bottom out just in time for Tasmania to steal all the talented kids too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Windmill Hut posted:

I don't understand how he could get less than Webster, which was 7 weeks.

We'll bottom out just in time for Tasmania to steal all the talented kids too.

Andrew Gaff’s 8 week suspension for belting a bloke is probably the benchmark.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

Andrew Gaff’s 8 week suspension for belting a bloke is probably the benchmark.

I’d like to think gaff would get more if he did it today (depending on how many registered NFPs he was the director of)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

In news surprising nobody, Taryn Thomas is an umrepentant oval office.

[Url
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tarryn-thomas-charged-over-alleged-harassment-20240521-p5jffv.html

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ormond to broady is a fair hike for a court appearance too, sucked in idiot

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Waiting for Brad Scott to recruit him to his leadership program

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

He's a good man who just made one small mistake, he deserves a second chance

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Zippy Fish! Zippy Fish!!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

6 weeks for Parker seems light on

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

quote:

“And for them girls I abuse I would do again,” Thomas wrote to the woman.

“After what they did to me if you do me wrong I will let you have it.”

oh my loving god

edit: the reasoning for why the tribunal came down to 6 weeks pretty much comes down to Josh Smith not having any chance of impacting the contest and therefore had no reason to expect to get cleaned up like that. Which is fair enough, if you take someone out like that and put them on the shelf for 8+ weeks then it looks significantly worse for it to not be part of the contest.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 21, 2024

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I'm still half sure a club is going to pick him up. The brainworms are fuckin real as evidenced by Scott.

Also Zippy Fish is an absolute jet player, a niece of mine plays for the Sharks so catch a few games. Going to go very well in the AFLW.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Zippy is a gun.

At least with Tarryn Thomas he's made his feelings extremely clear. "I would do it again" makes it pretty explicit whether he is repentant or not.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zippy Fish is an absolute top tier name.

EDIT: I just found out her real name is Zipporah but gently caress that. Zippy Fish.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
There's some great names going around in the women's junior scene at the moment. One of the top SA female talents in the draft is Piper Window.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

cmndstab posted:

There's some great names going around in the women's junior scene at the moment. One of the top SA female talents in the draft is Piper Window.

Nice

Zipporah is pretty good too

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Nice

Zipporah is pretty good too

Oh whoops, Piper went last year. Getting my drafts mixed up!

Still.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So Parker out to after round 17. Does a couple more weeks in VFL. But say by Round 20 Swans have lost a few games and have Port, Collingwood and Essendon in a row to determine finals positions. Do you put him back in all else equal?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Probably depends on their injury situation. If they have a healthy list he probably gets a farewell game and that’s about it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I appreciate the media trying to do its bit by calling it a monster ban before getting to the number, which is not in any way monster

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I appreciate the media trying to do its bit by calling it a monster ban before getting to the number, which is not in any way monster

Its one of the cute furry family friendly monsters from sesame street

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Please read the greatest single piece of AFL statistical analysis ever created: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-23/afl-mullet-count-data-analysis/103850072

quote:

Love it or hate it, the mullet has returned. The controversial “business in the front, party in the back” hairstyle made a comeback during COVID. And it hasn’t gone away.

They’re everywhere from primary schools to law firms and, of course, in sports. Aussie rules has a long, voluminous history of mullets dating back to the 80s — from the formidable mane of Hawthorn’s Gary Ayres to the notorious blond mop of the Swan’s Warwick Capper.

We arrive at a much different mullet landscape in 2024, and it continues to raise eyebrows.

Are we seeing a throwback to the footy stars of the past or is today’s generation making the mullet their own? Does it secretly make for a better player?

The ABC analysed the headshots and hairstyles of all AFL players in the 2024 season in search of some answers.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

Please read the greatest single piece of AFL statistical analysis ever created: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-23/afl-mullet-count-data-analysis/103850072

Was coming here to post this. Absolutely outstanding stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

When the useless stats page gives it a shoutout, you know its gonna be good