Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, it slipped my mind but that ending was extremely satisfying, yes.

E: Also Suzuki/Honma is worth watching to see MiSu magic a legit good match out of Honma of all people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Hiromu got a decent match out of him last year. Honma really tries hard he's just completely busted. He's an interesting contrast with Jado who is equally busted but doesn't give a poo poo

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
SO WHAT,
I DON’T CARE

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Whelp that sure is an awful post match angle and I expected better from Gedo

I can see this killing business too given that a lot of New Japan's current fanbase are female fans and running a DV angle to get heat is not gonna do well

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

My favorite part of the thread today has been the people patting themselves on the back for not watching the show. Or maybe it's those chastising people for defending the angle when no one is doing that.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Lily Catts posted:

That's normal for WWE. I don't think I've ever seen a woman bump in NJPW ever. Even Miho Abe just gets terrorized, but never hit with anything.

Mima Shimoda tends to work as a heel manager for OKAMURA on the Fantasticamania tour and she takes a few bumps doing that. I think its mainly catches on the outside rather than being attacked by people which makes it different plus, well, she's Mima Shimoda; not exactly someone that can't stand up for themselves.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

My favorite part of the thread today subforum the past few years has been the people patting themselves on the back for not watching the show. Or maybe it's those chastising people for defending the angle when no one is doing that.

fixed

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I expected better from Gedo

lol why?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

IceAgeComing posted:

Mima Shimoda tends to work as a heel manager for OKAMURA on the Fantasticamania tour and she takes a few bumps doing that. I think its mainly catches on the outside rather than being attacked by people which makes it different plus, well, she's Mima Shimoda; not exactly someone that can't stand up for themselves.

It's normally stuff like this

https://twitter.com/GolazoDan/status/822596063597068292?s=19

I mean doesn't that logic apply to Bea too ? She is presented in her wrestling gear and with any titles she currently has. they make sure to differ her from the other valets although there has been plenty of weird poo poo directed at Miho by wrestlers like gooch that I found pretty uncomfortable.

If she hung around she was gonna get rainmakered or something at a big show.

Njpw isn't exactly great with women. Bea was actually a step in the right direction

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Believe it or not, Bea taking a cutter is still an improvement over the cameramen giving Maria Kanellis a free colonoscopy every time she was on screen

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Retcon the story so its EVIL giving Dick Togo a cutter.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Gedo jumped from territory style booking straight to Vince Russo era WCW

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Soooo...it turns out that when Ospreay slid into Will Cooling's DMs last year, it included claiming that Cooling's incredibly evenhanded coverage of the Pollyanna stuff nearly drove him to suicide in an attempt to manipulate the the coverage:
https://twitter.com/willcooling/status/1373701076889784323
Will C. showed me the screenshot; it's legit.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I think its very easy to make this a Will Ospreay problem. I am sure Ospreay and Bea both think this is all a good lark and they are enjoying the heat but Gedo is clearly running this strange meta angle where Ospreay is acting the way he is perceived in the West while Empire is kept extremely strong (I mean they don't act like NJPW heels, they lose all the time lol) for an eventual face turn in Japan. As soon as Ospreay landed in Japan for the G1 they have been working this angle.

It is far to say that NJPW has a problem with women and Ospreay is a part of that. I have long accepted that NJPW has a problem with women. As I said I was genuinely impressed with the way they presented Bea but that has been dumped down the toilet. I am not going to cancel because I frankly enjoy the show but I understand the promotions flaws with women.

I would not be surprised if this was simply the most vile thing they could think of to make Ospreay the heel against Ibushi with again the meta angle of Kota being the one to merge the titles. This could have been solved by having management say it was their idea or going with the heat and turning Kota heel rather than trying to get heat onto Ospreay

Because it seems to me they have not gone all in on making Ospreay a heel in Japan. He is acting like a prick sure but everyone in Nooj acts like a prick. He is still very flashy in ring.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 21, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Burn Down Canberra posted:

It is far to say that NJPW has a problem with women and Ospreay is a part of that. I have long accepted that NJPW has a problem with women. As I said I was genuinely impressed with the way they presented Bea but that has been dumped down the toilet.
Well, yeah, they just tried to sneak Scurll back in.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

davidbix posted:

Well, yeah, they just tried to sneak Scurll back in.

If it was the pre plague world they would have almost certainly flown him in for the BOSJ last year. I guess we can all be thankful they tried to bring him through strong and someone leaked it.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Burn Down Canberra posted:

If it was the pre plague world they would have almost certainly flown him in for the BOSJ last year. I guess we can all be thankful they tried to bring him through strong and someone leaked it.
If there was no pandemic, then BOSJ would have been over or close to it by the time #SpeakingOut happened, though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm kinda curious about the identity of the veteran wrestler. And how legitimately angry they were. Who it was and how respected they are could have an impact on Will's booking going into the future. "Yano seemed mildly upset and said, 'hey not cool guys' " is a different situation from "Hiroshi Tanahashi was livid and shaking." Which is a different situation than flipping either of those names, etc. What if the complaint came from Honma?

It was a fantastically stupid idea, and we'll see if it impacts anything about Will going forward.

Something else to keep in mind: O-Khan has done a lot of the Empire promos after matches, and has rapidly developed since his return from excursion. If backlash against Will ever becomes strong enough, establishing O-Khan as the leader of Empire would not even take much work. Hell, if you didn't see the formation of Empire, you would probably already perceive him as the leader and think it's weird Ospreay won the tournament. It would be trivially easy to replace Ospreay's storyline and card position, or at least easier than replacing his in ring talent.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

davidbix posted:

If there was no pandemic, then BOSJ would have been over or close to it by the time #SpeakingOut happened, though.

Well that's true but I just mean if they could have flown him over for a tour of Japan they would have

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

davidbix posted:

I wonder if AEW would of started the angle they hinted at on BTE with Marty if there was no Pandemic

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Got around to watching the finals and 3 matches dine and the highlight has definitely been the opener so far.

YOSHI-HASHI being pinned by Yujiro is funny though.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm kinda curious about the identity of the veteran wrestler. And how legitimately angry they were. Who it was and how respected they are could have an impact on Will's booking going into the future. "Yano seemed mildly upset and said, 'hey not cool guys' " is a different situation from "Hiroshi Tanahashi was livid and shaking." Which is a different situation than flipping either of those names, etc. What if the complaint came from Honma?

It was a fantastically stupid idea, and we'll see if it impacts anything about Will going forward.

Something else to keep in mind: O-Khan has done a lot of the Empire promos after matches, and has rapidly developed since his return from excursion. If backlash against Will ever becomes strong enough, establishing O-Khan as the leader of Empire would not even take much work. Hell, if you didn't see the formation of Empire, you would probably already perceive him as the leader and think it's weird Ospreay won the tournament. It would be trivially easy to replace Ospreay's storyline and card position, or at least easier than replacing his in ring talent.

Didn't Honma have domestic violence issues himself why would it come from him?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

davidbix posted:

Soooo...it turns out that when Ospreay slid into Will Cooling's DMs last year, it included claiming that Cooling's incredibly evenhanded coverage of the Pollyanna stuff nearly drove him to suicide in an attempt to manipulate the the coverage:
https://twitter.com/willcooling/status/1373701076889784323
Will C. showed me the screenshot; it's legit.

gently caress Ospreay. This leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. Sick of seeing all these defences of him just being a bit thick or whatever when he's clearly a manipulative piece of poo poo.

Eat My Fuc posted:

If I had beat my wife and got off consequence-free, I wouldn't want my company to televise something that had everyone debating domestic violence.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

gently caress Ospreay. This leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. Sick of seeing all these defences of him just being a bit thick or whatever when he's clearly a manipulative piece of poo poo.

If I had beat my wife and got off consequence-free, I wouldn't want my company to televise something that had everyone debating domestic violence.

This seems kind of Galaxy brain to me. I don’t think Honma cares.

The angle was stupid and it didn’t work. It probably would have gotten over for an American audience unfortunately but the silence of the crowd spoke volumes. I don’t think storyline wise it was done in good taste but I also don’t think a wrestler taking bumps is as disturbing as some here. Intergender wrestling can be really good, but like Suzuki beating the poo poo out of Asuka I can see where this angle crossed the line for many. I have also survived and bore witness to domestic abuse so I can be sensitive about it.

I just thought it was a weirdly written, flat angle though, it didn’t really hit me any other way. They’ll probably just drop it or have Bea cost Ospreay the match which would be very WWE but kind of cool in this case to me.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
If the two poles of opinion are unnecessary and offensive I lean more towards the former. The added context of Ospreay's rep just makes it worse though. My question is why? Ospreay was already over as a heel, it made no sense within the story of the match with Shingo, Ibushi has no reason to care about Bea, it's not like she's going to wrestle Ospreay for revenge in NJPW.....it just reminded me of poo poo they do in WWE for no other reason than HEEAATTT.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
The closest wwe angle was Randy Orton hitting Stacy Keibler with an RKO because he thought he needed to reignite his viscous side and strip weakness of a pure relationship to beat the undertaker.

This is not even slightly similar, why the gently caress?

Also, Will's side with the Pollyanna stuff was always that Bea didn't like her for reasons unrelated to that other guy and that's why he didn't want to be on shows with her, which is amazing that his excuse is still him being a lovely person.

Will, we want to like you, stop being a shithead.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Seams posted:

If the two poles of opinion are unnecessary and offensive I lean more towards the former. The added context of Ospreay's rep just makes it worse though. My question is why? Ospreay was already over as a heel, it made no sense within the story of the match with Shingo, Ibushi has no reason to care about Bea, it's not like she's going to wrestle Ospreay for revenge in NJPW.....it just reminded me of poo poo they do in WWE for no other reason than HEEAATTT.

I explained why I didnt like it earlier. I disagree with Eat My Fuc and think they will probably just use this to write Bea off. Maybe with the backlash they will have her get some revenge but it won't be at Sumo Hall because Stardom have a show the same night. I don't like a heel just doing stuff to get heat like this. Its lazy. The WWE angle it most reminded me of despite its comparisons with Orton/Keibler is Austin and HHH just clattering Lita with chair shots when Austin turned heel to get some heat on him. If I thought they were building towards something its one thing but if this is just to write Bea off and to dump some heat onto Will its lame.

But it doesn't really bother me on the level of offending me. Its just a poor attempt at heat that will go nowhere

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Eat My Fuc posted:

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Yeah, this was my point.

Context of who gets pissed off, how much it pisses them off, and why they are pissed off matters.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Wazzu posted:

The closest wwe angle was Randy Orton hitting Stacy Keibler with an RKO because he thought he needed to reignite his viscous side and strip weakness of a pure relationship to beat the undertaker.

This is not even slightly similar, why the gently caress?
actually it's pretty similar

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Well, this is another one for my "Gedo needs an extended break because he's running out of ideas" file.

Also have to say that by the standards of their previous matches this match was a bit of a disappointment. When it ramped up it was great but I really found the start excessively slow. (And to jump on my usual hobby horse, the match would've been elevated if Shingo ever got a pin with Made In Japan) It was still good but just, they've had amazing matches in the past.

I didn't watch the post match because it sounds at best horribly misjudged and stupid and counterproductive and I don't want have a take badly enough to watch.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Hand Liger the book Gedo

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

JOHN CENA posted:

actually it's pretty similar

No, because Randy and Stacy were faces, and Stacy never forgave him and didn't interact with him in storyline again after the betrayal.

A heel turning heel on his heel girlfriend who loves him being viscous and winning via cheating and will almost certainly be back with him soon, is very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

Wazzu posted:

No, because Randy and Stacy were faces, and Stacy never forgave him and didn't interact with him in storyline again after the betrayal.

A heel turning heel on his heel girlfriend who loves him being viscous and winning via cheating and will almost certainly be back with him soon, is very different.

i thought we thought she wasnt coming back tho