Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is Sharp Practice still the best musket era large skirmish game out there? I thought about trying Shakos and Bayonets but that's like $100 after buying the main rules, the supplement, the cards, the tokens, etc...

Just sucks that i can't find good Austria Hungary lists for SP2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I bought a seascape battlemat for use with Man O War, but I couldn't resist placing my 1/2400 tumbling dice ships on there - it's massively more appealing the vibrancy dialled right up then playing on the grey vinyl tablecloth I'd had before:

It's made me realise that even playing solo the window-dressing of a game can be just as important as the rules themselves to keep one engaged and stimulated. Too often I focus on mechanics and rules, to the exclusion of all else.

I think I'm going to build myself up some stylised scenery for shoals, outcroppings, etc. which are likely to be completely ahistoric - but if it keeps me excited while playing the game then frankly I consider that a win.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Southern Heel posted:

It's made me realise that even playing solo the window-dressing of a game can be just as important as the rules themselves to keep one engaged and stimulated. Too often I focus on mechanics and rules, to the exclusion of all else.

I'm really glad I realised this myself. If the game looks entertaining, I find I get so much more out of it than otherwise.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Endman posted:

I'm really glad I realised this myself. If the game looks entertaining, I find I get so much more out of it than otherwise.

I know, right?

By comparison this is a game of Grand Fleets I put on from way back and the visuals do nothing to draw me into the game:

The expected scale of Grand Fleets is 2" to 1000yds, or about 1:20,000 - so ships should be about the size of a grain of rice based on figures for gun ranges and speed. I felt I was making a big enough compromise with them being 10x their actual size, but I'm starting to think that if I'm willing to compromise by that amount already, then them being 1/1800 or 1/1200 will yield so much more presence and visual interest on the table - so why not?

I'm really just starting to learn the lessons of what really drew me into the miniatures and games in the 1990's, which appears to be bright colours and patterns, vibrant scenery and a degree of fun in the rules.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Count Thrashula posted:

Is Sharp Practice still the best musket era large skirmish game out there? I thought about trying Shakos and Bayonets but that's like $100 after buying the main rules, the supplement, the cards, the tokens, etc...

Just sucks that i can't find good Austria Hungary lists for SP2.
I think SP2 is fantastic, and the buy in is pretty low. Heck, you can use an ordinary deck of playing cards if you want.

As for Austria Hungary lists, have you looked on the TFL Forums? I know it's a topic that has been discussed at length. Or is there a particular time frame you're looking? I avoid Napoleonics like the plague because my understanding is that armies of that era changed uniform codes, organization, and equipment roughly every 7.5 minutes, but I am moderately certain that someone somewhere has what you're looking for.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
To be fair, if it's austria-hungary it's way after the napoleonic era.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

spectralent posted:

To be fair, if it's austria-hungary it's way after the napoleonic era.

Touche, was looking at WW1 rules when I was posting about Sharp Practice :negative:

Yeah, I saw the fan created lists on the forums, it's just a shame that TFL only put out official lists for Peninsular French and Brits (and allies), considering how SP is considered the gold standard Napoleonic skirmish game. Oh well, c'est la vie.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Army lists kinda bug me in Sharp Practice. I really like how they work in CoC and O Group, where you get a paper strength platoon/battalion and then buy support assets to even it out. But that kind of order of battle doesn't really work at the scale and time period, so you get either a few very limited starting points or it's just open season to build whatever. Additionally units are a lot more complex so it's harder to homebrew new units, and since it covers such a wide time period and variety of conflict you end up with massive disparities in points values

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I've made my own SP2 lists an it was honestly not that super hard, but it helps if you have a few games under your belt. There's a calculator for unit points, and usually you get a ballpark number that makes sense and then you want to fudge it up or down a point or two because it's badly balanced. I.e. some stats and traits are just hugely more powerful, but that's not accounted for, so you'll need to do some internal balancing. But men with muskets are men with muskets largely, so it's not a lot harder than making CoC lists.

In our lists we also rebalanced cavalry vs infantry, as cavalry RAW are not worth the points.

But wholly agree that lardies missed out clinching the napoleonics large skirmish market. If they had put out a less anglocentric rulebook and then followed it up with good official army lists that covered most of the main campaigns, it'd be a go-to ruleset. Now it requires a certain DIY mindset that not all wargamers enjoy. It also requires both players to play to the period and not go hog wild gamey. I mean, if I put out a whole force of skirmishing voltigeurs, or someone got mostly artillery and bunkered up, it'd be an pretty tedious game.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 15, 2024

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of Sharp Practice, I've gotten my full SP French army printed out (minus two voltigeurs that I need to re-print because the poms broke, whoops). Magnetic sabot bases designed and printed by me.

Piano Minis make some incredible stuff, I'd put these models up against any store bought plastic. Now to paint the buggers. And print out some Austrians.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Looking real good!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Those sculpts are miles ahead any other 3d printed stuff I have seen. Nice

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Austrians for SP are done!

I guess I should start painting...

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Is anyone going to Enfilade! In Tacoma, WA this weekend? I’ll be helping my dad run a “double blind” Fireball Forward game

quote:

Arracourt, Sep 22,1944; 111th PzBrig at Juvelize; 8:00AM

After the three days of heavy fighting at Arracourt, CCA of 4th Armored is pulled back for rest and refit on the main highway near Lezey, overlooked by the small hilltop village of Juvelize. The 25th Cavalry Sq. (mech) is screening CCA and takes the full brunt of 111th Pz Brig's attack towards Juvelize to cut the highway during the heavy early morning fog.

Double Blind scare quoted because it’ll be on one table, we are just having the players plot movement on “aerial reconnaissance” photos (overhead pictures my dad took of the table during playtests) due to the heavy fog present during the engagement. Models only get put down when units are spotted with a roll, shoot, or get within 3” of each other (extremely short range for 15mm WW2). He said the playtests went very well so I’m hoping it’ll be fun to run and mysteriously tell the american defenders about all the tank noises they are hearing.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Count Thrashula posted:

Austrians for SP are done!

I guess I should start painting...

Looking good. At least Austrians have white uniforms!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fellis posted:

Is anyone going to Enfilade! In Tacoma, WA this weekend? I’ll be helping my dad run a “double blind” Fireball Forward game

Double Blind scare quoted because it’ll be on one table, we are just having the players plot movement on “aerial reconnaissance” photos (overhead pictures my dad took of the table during playtests) due to the heavy fog present during the engagement. Models only get put down when units are spotted with a roll, shoot, or get within 3” of each other (extremely short range for 15mm WW2). He said the playtests went very well so I’m hoping it’ll be fun to run and mysteriously tell the american defenders about all the tank noises they are hearing.
That sounds like a really fun way to run a game. Make sure to post some pictures.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I won't spam this thread with EVERY group of dudes I paint, but I finished the first unit of Frenchies, and I'm just so amazed by these 3d prints.

Edit--oh god I put the poms in the wrong order back into the sabot base

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 21, 2024

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

I won't spam this thread with EVERY group of dudes I paint, but I finished the first unit of Frenchies, and I'm just so amazed by these 3d prints.

Edit--oh god I put the poms in the wrong order back into the sabot base

Wow, looks great - especially for 3D prints! That's an excellent paint job IMO, so I for one wouldn't mind seeing the photo spam :D

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Count Thrashula posted:

I won't spam this thread with EVERY group of dudes I paint,

Maybe you should, those look great.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Wow, looks great - especially for 3D prints! That's an excellent paint job IMO, so I for one wouldn't mind seeing the photo spam :D

Cessna posted:

Maybe you should, those look great.

yep. i dont think anyone here would be upset

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Can confirm, always love pics of historical minis

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

spectralent posted:

Has anyone tried Disposable Heroes, here? I've been informed if I liked CoC I'll like that.

Once at a con, used to run a Vietnam game. Yeah, it had a lot in common with CoC, but I think the version I was playing had more than a little homebrew and some scripted scenario bits, so take that opinion with a grain of salt. It's definitely a game I'd play again, if only to see how much was the GM and how much was the game itself.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Count Thrashula posted:

I won't spam this thread with EVERY group of dudes I paint,
:justpost:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Slyphic posted:

Once at a con, used to run a Vietnam game. Yeah, it had a lot in common with CoC, but I think the version I was playing had more than a little homebrew and some scripted scenario bits, so take that opinion with a grain of salt. It's definitely a game I'd play again, if only to see how much was the GM and how much was the game itself.

Yeah - someone described it as the best in-print vietnam game. Which, it seems to actually be WW2, but I assume there's a supplement or something.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ilor posted:

armies of that era changed uniform codes, organization, and equipment roughly every 7.5 minutes

yeah, it rules

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If I wanted to build my Napoleonic armies around a battle that involved a good variety of German/Rhenish allies, what would be the best battle as an example of that? Leipzig looks obvious, but almost TOO much variety (I don't have Italians or Swedes, for example)

Maybe Wagram for a balance of different nations and also an interesting battle?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

If I wanted to build my Napoleonic armies around a battle that involved a good variety of German/Rhenish allies, what would be the best battle as an example of that? Leipzig looks obvious, but almost TOO much variety (I don't have Italians or Swedes, for example)

Maybe Wagram for a balance of different nations and also an interesting battle?

Wagram is probably the best example imo, yeah

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Count Thrashula posted:

You could do "4th Coalition" and thus cover:

Prussia, Russia, Saxony, (and, yes, Sweden, and more) vs. France (Holland, Saxony, Poland, Switzerland, Confed. or the Rhine and more)

Which gives you the battles of Jena/Auerstedt, Eylau, Friedland, and a LOT of other smaller battles and sieges.

Fifth Coalition - Wagram (and Aspern-Essling, and more) is also good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there anything obviously wrong with this Kickstarter for French and Russian Napoleonic STLs?

I really like the sculpts, but figure I'd check with the pros before going in.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

moths posted:

Is there anything obviously wrong with this Kickstarter for French and Russian Napoleonic STLs?

Asked basically the same thing and got a response from our resident expert:

lilljonas posted:

Button counter twitch in my eye. They do look quick to paint though, which is a plus.

E: the French army looks, IMHO, much better suited for a 1813/14 campaign than Russia. There are some smaller issues that will not upset anyone but a very dyed in the wool French collector, but the uniforms are the "Bardin" 1812 regulation uniforms that were not worn by the troops marching into Russia. The differences, especially in the jacket design, is quite noticable.

As a generic, later 1st Empire army that doesn't take ages to paint? Probably a good option! As a Campaigne de Russie army? An unfortunate label.

I'm still backing it, just using the Russians and will fill in with my own pre-1812 Frenchies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ah! Ok excellent, I'll back as well thanks!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Asked basically the same thing and got a response from our resident expert:

I'm still backing it, just using the Russians and will fill in with my own pre-1812 Frenchies.

Yeah honestly the main talking point against it is that Piano Wargames exists::

https://pianowargames.de

Piano makes specifically pre-bardin uniforms, which is ironically more suitable for going into Russia. But they are more detailed and ”realistic” proportions. I think these new ones look easy to paint. I think they look more ”off”, historically speaking. Piano looks *chef’s kiss* when it comes to accuracy and aesthetics imho. I haven’t checked but I think they are also more expensive, and the range might not cover quite as many options for French yet (probably partly because more effort is going into each separate sculpt).

I’d probably, without owning any minis pf either, sum it up as war bear looking like a wargamer’s option, and Piano looking like a painter/collector’s option.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 22, 2024

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

moths posted:

I have at most MINOR nitpicks, and I only really know the Russians. The belts and buttons look a bit big/thick, but that can't be helped and won't be noticeable. Overall they look quite good!

- - -

Edit: The Russian infantry are wearing winter gaiters. If you use these, paint them black; too often they're painted white, because Russian summer uniforms had long white pants that came down over the top of the shoes. These have the gaiters correct:

And these are just fine if you're doing Leipzig.

Edit 2: The green in that pic is too bright; it should be much darker - Tolstoy describes the green as almost black.

Edit 3: Those models from Piano Wargames are gorgeous; I really need a 3d printer. I already have more Wargames Foundry Russians than I will ever paint, but those are beautiful.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 22, 2024

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Funny enough, they literally just now added more stretch goals to add 1809 uniforms to both the French and Russians

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Count Thrashula posted:

Funny enough, they literally just now added more stretch goals to add 1809 uniforms to both the French and Russians

Yeah, the Russians in the kickstarter now are clearly 1812 or later, they've got kiver, etc.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Well it was also the main complaint in their comment section that they got the wrong uniforms. Good for them for fixing it. :)

And yes if I had a 3D printer I’d print a small württemberg force from Piano to go with my french.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I wonder if they were initially just doing the two armies, saw an opportunity to bundle them together, and didn't consider the timeline.

Cessna posted:

Edit: The Russian infantry are wearing winter gaiters. If you use these, paint them black; too often they're painted white, because Russian summer uniforms had long white pants that came down over the top of the shoes. These have the gaiters correct:

And these are just fine if you're doing Leipzig.

Edit 2: The green in that pic is too bright; it should be much darker - Tolstoy describes the green as almost black.

Edit 3: Those models from Piano Wargames are gorgeous; I really need a 3d printer. I already have more Wargames Foundry Russians than I will ever paint, but those are beautiful.

I'm quoting this so I can find it later, thanks!

Are you in the US? I might be able to hook you up with prints sometime.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Piano Wargames’ miniatures look very proportionately similar to the latest Perry plastic and metal Napoleonic kits (earlier models are slightly chunkier in that classic way), so there’s some useful crossover there if you want to add parts of their extensive range to your army.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah for what it's worth, the pictures I've posted recently are all Piano minis. I've spent WAY more than I should on their files because they're incredible. Like easily on par with Perry sculpts which is incredibly rare for STL sculptors. You either get overly complicated nonsense or overly simplified easy to print stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

I wonder if they were initially just doing the two armies, saw an opportunity to bundle them together, and didn't consider the timeline.

I'm quoting this so I can find it later, thanks!

Are you in the US? I might be able to hook you up with prints sometime.

Honestly it's a really simple mistake to make, especially as the Bardin regulation uniform was introduced in 1812 and is sometimes referred to as "the 1812 uniform". It was just not widely implemented until 1813, and the forces marching into Russia was doing that in Summer of 1812, wearing the old uniforms.

"Oh this box of Perry infantry says '1812-1815' and we're doing the invasion of Russia in 1812. Perfect!"
-lilljonas back when he first got into Napoleonics.

So been there, done that.

I'm in Sweden, otherwise I might have taken you up on that offer. :) I have way too many unpainted minis on my shelves for it to be a realistic project any time soon though.