Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Stickbug posted:

most breeders will ship too if you cannot find a good breeder locally.
fixed! Don't be so motivated to find someone close by. If there is an awesome breeder close by, that's just an added bonus. :)

And yes, it is totally awesome that you are taking this advice, most people get all "well what are you crazy? I already gave them money and I already love the puppy and it's so cwooot..."
You're doing an awesome thing by re-evaluating everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I received this e-mail from the breeder

quote:

Sir, I find your insinuation insulting to say the least. I've been a
recognized, reputable breeder for a number of years. My reputation within
the industry is impeccable. My first concern is, and always has been, the
welfare of my animal companions. My primary responsibility has always been
the betterment of my breed through responsible breeding and the placement of
my friends in loving, considerate homes. Through our initial communication
you had represented yourself to be a person that I could trust with one of
these precious little lives. Strictly as a convenience to you, I was
prepared to act contrary to one of my most strict rules and give you a puppy
much sooner than I normally do. Due to my consideration for you, you impugn
my integrity and question the importance of dogs in my life. My dogs Are my
life. I take my responsibility to them extremely seriously. As well, they
are also my business. I also take my business seriously. It is how I am able
to continue serving my breed as best I am able. In observance of contract
law, a deposit is paid as a surety to guarantee delivery. I upheld my end of
the contract. The puppy was available for you. As you have reneged on this,
there is no reason for me to repay the deposit. I consider this matter to be
closed. There is no further reason for you to contact me.
Linda

I find her logic somewhat flawed to say the least.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I like how she says it's ALSO HER BUSINESS. She makes lotsa money off those puppies.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

No kidding. What a bitch. I like how she says i"The Industry" not "the breed" or "the fancy." The fact that she thought letting a puppy go early was a favor to you is like, loving nuts. It would have caused you problems for that dog's whole life. I have a dog who was pretty clearly separated from his litter way too early and it's like having a dog with aspberger's. Not fun. If she was trying to be considerate to you she would have offered to keep the puppy as long as 11 or 12 weeks. What a cow. Congratulations for saving yourself from making a huge mistake.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Yeah, I think getting out of this was worth the $200. Yikes.

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

bigeaux, it's showtime, chah

Rated PG-34 posted:

I received this e-mail from the breeder
Do you have a signed contract? If so, what are its terms?

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
If she was really a big name in "The Fancy", it would certainly knock her down a few rungs in the hierarchy if 'the fancy' found out she was selling 6 week old puppies to people, wouldn't it?

Not that I'd mention such a thing to anyone. Okay I would but I don't have anyone to mention it to.

Rated, I love both Shelties and Corgis. :3 My advice is to look around your area for other Corgi people-a lot of towns have regular Corgi-owner meetups, it seems like. Talk to owners, hang out with the dogs, and see if you can handle the personality. Also the barking. Oh, the barking. Also check out the Corgi megathread.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

^^^ if he decided he can put up with a sheltie's mouth, he can put up with any amount of barking. Good god those dogs won't shut up. Even the debarked ones at shows. HUFF! HUFF! HUFF! HUFF! HUFF! HUFF! HUFF!

jbone posted:

Probably that the deposit is non-refundable.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

jbone posted:

In many US states, it is illegal to sell a pet under 8 weeks of age. Perhaps you could check on Canadian laws and make an idle threat?

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
I posted a while back about some coworkers that have a miniature Schnauzer puppy which they can't care for. I found out yesterday that the puppy was taken outside for a walk for the first time in more than two months. :( Then the owner said he was angry because the dog got muddy so he "washed him in a puddle." The dog is also beaten just about every day, so as you can see this situation is completely unacceptable.

I've been trying to help them rehome the dog but the first home fell through and now they're paranoid that any family they adopt the dog to will just eat him. That may happen, but personally I think being cared for and then humanely slaughtered would be a better fate than what he has now.

Anyway, I've found an animal shelter nearby that spays/neuters and then adopts out. I think this would be the best choice, especially since this is a small breed puppy. He ought to get snatched up quick. The problem is that the owners have become very defensive because of the criticism of their ownership. I would appreciate any good tips to help convince them this is the best idea, I'm planning on broaching the subject tonight.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Meow Cadet posted:

In many US states, it is illegal to sell a pet under 8 weeks of age. Perhaps you could check on Canadian laws and make an idle threat?

A quick Google search doesn't bring anything up.

jbone posted:

There's no contract, just a receipt, alas.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Tojai posted:

I posted a while back about some coworkers that have a miniature Schnauzer puppy which they can't care for. I found out yesterday that the puppy was taken outside for a walk for the first time in more than two months. :( Then the owner said he was angry because the dog got muddy so he "washed him in a puddle." The dog is also beaten just about every day, so as you can see this situation is completely unacceptable.

I've been trying to help them rehome the dog but the first home fell through and now they're paranoid that any family they adopt the dog to will just eat him. That may happen, but personally I think being cared for and then humanely slaughtered would be a better fate than what he has now.

Anyway, I've found an animal shelter nearby that spays/neuters and then adopts out. I think this would be the best choice, especially since this is a small breed puppy. He ought to get snatched up quick. The problem is that the owners have become very defensive because of the criticism of their ownership. I would appreciate any good tips to help convince them this is the best idea, I'm planning on broaching the subject tonight.

EAT him? Where the gently caress do you live? Please tell me it's somewhere where that's not a completely insane idea, because if it isn't, these people are delusional.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong

maplecheese posted:

EAT him? Where the gently caress do you live? Please tell me it's somewhere where that's not a completely insane idea, because if it isn't, these people are delusional.

drat, I forgot to mention that. I live in Korea, and it is acceptable here to eat dog (though a bit unusual). There's also a different attitude toward pet ownership over here so it's not like I can notify animal control about the conditions the dog lives in.

And to clarify further, the animal shelter I found is on a US military base and they adopt out to military families and personnel. So the dog wouldn't be going to some family that will continue to abuse him. Or eat him.

Not Impressed
Feb 11, 2005
You could tell I was no debutante.
Two unrelated questions - I'll put the easy one first:

1) What is the website of the company that sells cat trees at like 50% off retail, but you have to put it together yourself?

2) How risky is tooth cleaning for a cat? I'm worried about putting her under, but her breath stinks. And her teeth look filthy. What should I expect to pay?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Not Impressed posted:

Two unrelated questions - I'll put the easy one first:

1) What is the website of the company that sells cat trees at like 50% off retail, but you have to put it together yourself?

Armarkat?

maso
Jul 6, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

There's no contract, just a receipt, alas.
Not trying to rub it in but this should have set of blaring red lights with you too. But it's okay, again, you're doing the right thing. As long as you're starting over, what made you decide on a Sheltie in the first place? It seems since you asked about other breeds that you aren't all that sold on or attached to the idea. Might as well start all over! What is your family looking for in a dog?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
This isn't a question, more of an "I love my kittie :3:" moment that I had to share.

So last night I had a teensy nightmare, guys dressed all in black climbing through my window who were going to get me. Forced myself to woke up and had a bit of a "Well of course there's no one here but what if someone is?" feeling. Then I realied that Poko was on the bed beside my pillow, and I figured that since he's such a scaredy cat if anyone really was there he would be hiding under the bed. So I put my hand on his back, he started purring, and I dropped right back to sleep with no problems. Poko - Boogie Man Scarer Awayer Extraordinare!

Plus right now he's trying his damnedest to play with a toy but he just can't quite get a lock on its position so he's just kind of waving his paw ineffectively over the ball trying to get it to move. I'd toss it for him but the movement would freak him out and he'd run off and hide. He's so cute.

Not Impressed
Feb 11, 2005
You could tell I was no debutante.

exactduckwoman posted:

Armarkat?

Yes! That's it. Now I just have to find one that will fit the ruler of my house's needs.

I may try to re-carpet the shreaded bits of the current cat tree first.

thank you!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Shortymrbig posted:

The only room I know I can keep a hamster is in my room, but my room is also the oddest when it comes to temperatures for some reason.

They're desert creatures, so heat shouldn't be too much of a problem. If it gets too cold they can go into hibernation, but seriously, San Diego? You should be fine. Just give them some extra cozy bedding in winter, and open the window for that delightful sea breeze in the summer. :)

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

alucinor posted:

They're desert creatures, so heat shouldn't be too much of a problem. If it gets too cold they can go into hibernation, but seriously, San Diego? You should be fine. Just give them some extra cozy bedding in winter, and open the window for that delightful sea breeze in the summer. :)

That's the thing though. My room for what ever reason was built in some odd way. It's either due to my dark red walls and black carpet that trap heat and make my room stuffy or something.

Anyway, Once I get a new hard drive for my computer I'll be investing my money in hamster stuff. (The usual wheel , tubes, more wheels, ect ect)

Teddy bear hamsters p. much own.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
The hammie should be fine, but that rather sucks for you.

There's dozens of hams on petfinder, so don't overlook them. They're mostly north of you, but distances seem to mean nothing in CA - lots of these rescuers will drive HOURS out of their way to adopt, not to mention the wide-spread network of foster homes they often have.

Good luck!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

sucks to ur assmar posted:

Not trying to rub it in but this should have set of blaring red lights with you too. But it's okay, again, you're doing the right thing. As long as you're starting over, what made you decide on a Sheltie in the first place? It seems since you asked about other breeds that you aren't all that sold on or attached to the idea. Might as well start all over! What is your family looking for in a dog?

It wasn't easy letting go; I also had to explain to my family who were initially quite opposed to the decision. In retrospect, I should have been wary after she neglected to interview. Well, in retrospect, I should have done a lot of things.

Anyway, one reason I thought a sheltie or corgi would be appropriate is their daily exercise requirements would be realistic for our family (say two 15-20 minute walks a day). Their size also seems appropriate for our household, although we could probably accommodate a larger dog as we do have a moderately sized fenced yard. We also want a breed that is less stubborn as our previous Shiba Inu. Other factors are personal preferences of family members such us not much dog smell and perceived cuteness quotient.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Anyway, one reason I thought a sheltie or corgi would be appropriate is their daily exercise requirements would be realistic for our family (say two 15-20 minute walks a day).

Realistically the exercise requirements of shelties and corgis is MUCH higher than this. Especially until they are more than 2-3 years old.

Congrats on making a tough decision about the puppy. PI can be a little rough on people sometimes, but the folks here will be able to help you find a good, responsible breeder (and save you money and heartache in the long term). I'd suggest you go back to basics right now and let us offer you some suggestions for a breed, then help you pick a breeder, because it sounds like you may have gotten some incorrect information about the breeds you've been looking at.

It might be worth making a separate thread. Give us an overview of your family (hours at home, ability to exercise a dog, previous ownership experience) and what you are looking for in a dog and we can help you out.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

It wasn't easy letting go; I also had to explain to my family who were initially quite opposed to the decision. In retrospect, I should have been wary after she neglected to interview. Well, in retrospect, I should have done a lot of things.

Anyway, one reason I thought a sheltie or corgi would be appropriate is their daily exercise requirements would be realistic for our family (say two 15-20 minute walks a day). Their size also seems appropriate for our household, although we could probably accommodate a larger dog as we do have a moderately sized fenced yard. We also want a breed that is less stubborn as our previous Shiba Inu. Other factors are personal preferences of family members such us not much dog smell and perceived cuteness quotient.

Woah, woah, haha yeah, beaten but neither of those breeds are a good choice for you at all. I'd go ahead and make your own thread at this point, we'll help you decide on a more suitable breed and then help you find an excellent breeder or rescue dog.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ceridwen posted:

Realistically the exercise requirements of shelties and corgis is MUCH higher than this. Especially until they are more than 2-3 years old.

Congrats on making a tough decision about the puppy. PI can be a little rough on people sometimes, but the folks here will be able to help you find a good, responsible breeder (and save you money and heartache in the long term). I'd suggest you go back to basics right now and let us offer you some suggestions for a breed, then help you pick a breeder, because it sounds like you may have gotten some incorrect information about the breeds you've been looking at.

It might be worth making a separate thread. Give us an overview of your family (hours at home, ability to exercise a dog, previous ownership experience) and what you are looking for in a dog and we can help you out.

Right, I realize that younger dogs and particularly puppies require a lot exercise. I'm referring more to the long term, as my parents would be essentially taking over ownership and neither of them are particularly athletic (although I suppose it would do them both a world of good).

maso
Jul 6, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

Right, I realize that younger dogs and particularly puppies require a lot exercise. I'm referring more to the long term, as my parents would be essentially taking over ownership and neither of them are particularly athletic (although I suppose it would do them both a world of good).

...No, you don't understand. Shelties and Corgis are high energy dogs. Also woah because I didn't know you were a kid! Why are you going through the arrangements for what's essentially your parents' dog?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Rated PG-34 posted:

When my grandparents' neighbors first got a Sheltie puppy, the kids played with it all the time and wore it out, and it was a beautifully behaved dog. Fast forward three years and it's an adult dog who just gets shoved out in the backyard to entertain itself. It started jumping on people and barking constantly out of boredom. It wore a foot-deep trench in the backyard from running in circles. Everyone in the neighborhood hated it because of the barking, and the fact that it would get loose and run amok through the yards.

Realistically, you shouldn't get a dog for yourself or your parents that will require a significant lifestyle change, even if it would be "good for them" to have a dog with increased exercise requirements - the odds are good that rather than your parents becoming more active, they would just leave the dog to its own devices, like the Guptis did, and that dog will be miserable.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

Realistically, you shouldn't get a dog for yourself or your parents that will require a significant lifestyle change, even if it would be "good for them" to have a dog with increased exercise requirements - the odds are good that rather than your parents becoming more active, they would just leave the dog to its own devices, like the Guptis did, and that dog will be miserable.

Exactly. You should get a dog that fits your lifestyle, not the lifestyle you think you should be keeping. It's not fair to the dog and far too many people go this route and fail horribly.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

sucks to ur assmar posted:

...No, you don't understand. Shelties and Corgis are high energy dogs. Also woah because I didn't know you were a kid! Why are you going through the arrangements for what's essentially your parents' dog?

Because the alternative is letting my parents do the arrangements... Although I doubt they could botch it that much more than I already did. And yeah, I don't have any illusions that a dog could force any sort of lifestyle change.

I'm actually not really a kid; I'm just living in my parents home to save money throughout my graduate career. I'll probably be moving out in about a year and a half.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 28, 2009

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
Are there any good dog breed websites out there? Back around 2001 I loved dogbreedinfo.com, but now it's full of designer mutts, BYB classifieds, and a bunch of Cesar Milan BS. I've seriously been considering creating one of my own, one that goes more in depth about the breeds' temperament, ideal owner, exercise requirements, etc etc. A lot of what I've found is more about the history and physical characteristics, which is cool but doesn't do a lot for helping people choose the right breed for them.

If I went through with it, would anyone here be interested in helping? I mean, just contributing information for a breed you have experience with and what not. I have about a dozen or so dog breed books, plus access to the internet which means all of the breed club websites - but it'd be nice to get input from owners, too.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

Earlier tonight I noticed my kitten was limping around everywhere, not wanting to put her weight on one paw. Upon closer inspection I noticed she had dried blood on the top of her paw and next to the pad underneath, leading me to believe that either something went through her paw or bit it. Even though she hated me for it, I made sure there was nothing actually in the wound, it just looks like a little dried blood on the top and bottom. I don't think she really weighs enough to have stepped on something and have it go through her paw, leading me to believe that a) One of my housemate's rats bit her, or b) my other cat either bit her or landed a really good swipe at her paw and somehow got a claw through it.

While she is limping around, the wound doesn't look particularly nasty, and she's still running around and attacking my other cat at every opportunity she gets.

Should I be that worried? Money is really tight these days and I don't feel like bringing her to the vet's only to have them say "She's fine, there's nothing we can really do about that" (I can't imagine what they *could* do).

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alucinor posted:

The hammie should be fine, but that rather sucks for you.

There's dozens of hams on petfinder, so don't overlook them. They're mostly north of you, but distances seem to mean nothing in CA - lots of these rescuers will drive HOURS out of their way to adopt, not to mention the wide-spread network of foster homes they often have.

Good luck!

Ran out of money this week ha, but I get to ask a few more questions.

What would be the difference between say a hamster from petfinder to a hamster bought at pet-co? Or a local pet store?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Before I make my own thread, I just want to clear up some possible misconceptions I may have. Do Shelties and Corgis have about the same level as energy/exercise level as Shiba Inu? That's suggested by most of the dog breed selector/matrix information sites that I've browsed.

Another breed that we've considered is Samoyeds. We recently visited a breeder nearby (http://www.crisandi.com/), met with the dogs, and fell in love their temperaments. The breeder appears to be reputable, although I'm not sure about what signs to look for. They had a lot of crate-trained dogs, a backyard obstacle course, and all-in-all they seemed very knowledgeable about the breed. In any case, I believe that Samoyeds have much higher exercise requirements than Shiba Inu, and may have to be ruled out.

Edit: another breeder I've been in contact with is Rough Dimaond Samoyeds, and it seems like she employs good practices.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 28, 2009

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Shortymrbig posted:

Ran out of money this week ha, but I get to ask a few more questions.

What would be the difference between say a hamster from petfinder to a hamster bought at pet-co? Or a local pet store?

A hamster from PETCO would have been from a facility where they are mass bred along with rats, guinea pigs, mice, birds, fish, etc. They will not have received much handling when they are young besides verifying that they have four legs and two eyes, so they probably aren't going to be very friendly. The possiblity of them having a respriratory infection is very high.

A hamster from a local pet store probably won't be much better, but it depends on the quality of the place. The lovely pet stores that sell puppies and kittens will probably have bred the hamsters themselves in their basement. If they sell someone a female hamster who happens to be pregnant, they'll usually offer to take the babies back if the customers complains, then sell them. A higher quality local store will probably also buy hamsters that don't come from the best sources, a local family or a smaller mass breeding facility, but they'd be handled a little bit better so they'd probably be somewhat friendlier and they might be a little better bred.

A hamster from petfinder will probably have come from one of these two sources, but someone's kids got bored of it/it kept biting/they didn't have time for it anymore. Or someone's hamster had an accidental litter and they gave the babies to a humane society or something. But if you adopt them, you're not supporting the lovely breeding practices that come from pet stores.

The best bred hamster overall would come from a breeder who knows what they're doing, doesn't breed too often or have too many litters, so they have the time to interact with the babies and get them used to people. They'll be breeding for healthy hamsters and probably specific traits, not just because they think baby hamsters would be like, SO cute. I will be the first to admit I don't know too much about quality hamster breeding facilities though, like how to find one. Maybe someone else could help if you're interested.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
My dobie has a wound on his chin that he won't let heal. Whenever it scabs over, he ends up banging it into something, or washing it away in his water bowl. It keeps opening up and bleeding and I'm afraid it's going to get infected if it's not already.

I've tried neosporin and liquid bandaid, but nothing is working. Is there anything else I can do to speed up the healing process? The only other idea I've had is to get one of those plastic rings for his head to see if that keeps it protected long enough, but I don't want to do that to him if I don't have to.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tse1618 posted:

A hamster from PETCO would have been from a facility where they are mass bred along with rats, guinea pigs, mice, birds, fish, etc. They will not have received much handling when they are young besides verifying that they have four legs and two eyes, so they probably aren't going to be very friendly. The possiblity of them having a respriratory infection is very high.

A hamster from a local pet store probably won't be much better, but it depends on the quality of the place. The lovely pet stores that sell puppies and kittens will probably have bred the hamsters themselves in their basement. If they sell someone a female hamster who happens to be pregnant, they'll usually offer to take the babies back if the customers complains, then sell them. A higher quality local store will probably also buy hamsters that don't come from the best sources, a local family or a smaller mass breeding facility, but they'd be handled a little bit better so they'd probably be somewhat friendlier and they might be a little better bred.

A hamster from petfinder will probably have come from one of these two sources, but someone's kids got bored of it/it kept biting/they didn't have time for it anymore. Or someone's hamster had an accidental litter and they gave the babies to a humane society or something. But if you adopt them, you're not supporting the lovely breeding practices that come from pet stores.

The best bred hamster overall would come from a breeder who knows what they're doing, doesn't breed too often or have too many litters, so they have the time to interact with the babies and get them used to people. They'll be breeding for healthy hamsters and probably specific traits, not just because they think baby hamsters would be like, SO cute. I will be the first to admit I don't know too much about quality hamster breeding facilities though, like how to find one. Maybe someone else could help if you're interested.

So either way I'm probably getting one of the many produced hamsters? Unless I find an actual breeder, but I honestly never heard of say a official licensed breeder of hamsters.

I might go to my local pet shop and ask where they got theirs. I suppose if they say "oh, we accidentally put this girl in a male cage yesterday :v:" I'd be inclined to buy one since it wasn't really forced.

I just want a hamster! CUZ dey R so CUTE! (and because I want to get him a ball to run around in :buddy: then lose him under my bed for 5 minutes)

I just like hamsters haha

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I like to take a walk around my neighborhood on a regular basis, but I continually run into the problem of un-leashed dogs. In my ~2 mile loop that I walk, I have encountered 6 different dogs that were not on a leash at various times.

They will usually follow closely behind me barking loudly for a while, and one has even followed me all the way home, but I haven't been bitten or felt like I was threatened. Sometimes they will be outside alone, and sometimes there will be a kid outside who halfheartedly calls the dog's name, but doesn't stop what he's doing.

My concern is that they will follow me too far and get lost, or follow me all the way back to the main road, where there is a lot of traffic. What is the protocol I should use to make them stop being interested in me and go home? I usually just ignore them, don't even look at them, and keep my pace. It's just a hassle to have to cut my walk short to avoid houses that don't follow the leash laws.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Shortymrbig posted:

I might go to my local pet shop and ask where they got theirs. I suppose if they say "oh, we accidentally put this girl in a male cage yesterday :v:" I'd be inclined to buy one since it wasn't really forced.

But you're still supporting the irresponsible treatment and breeding of animals. You'd be better off finding one on Petfinder or from a shelter. It'll be around the same cost to adopt or possibly even free.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Paco de Suave posted:

Earlier tonight I noticed my kitten was limping around everywhere, not wanting to put her weight on one paw. Upon closer inspection I noticed she had dried blood on the top of her paw and next to the pad underneath, leading me to believe that either something went through her paw or bit it. Even though she hated me for it, I made sure there was nothing actually in the wound, it just looks like a little dried blood on the top and bottom. I don't think she really weighs enough to have stepped on something and have it go through her paw, leading me to believe that a) One of my housemate's rats bit her, or b) my other cat either bit her or landed a really good swipe at her paw and somehow got a claw through it.

While she is limping around, the wound doesn't look particularly nasty, and she's still running around and attacking my other cat at every opportunity she gets.

Should I be that worried? Money is really tight these days and I don't feel like bringing her to the vet's only to have them say "She's fine, there's nothing we can really do about that" (I can't imagine what they *could* do).

I would just keep an eye on it for any infection and clean it twice a day. If you start to notice redness or swelling, I would call the vet and ask about putting her on an antibiotic which is usually pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Serella posted:

But you're still supporting the irresponsible treatment and breeding of animals. You'd be better off finding one on Petfinder or from a shelter. It'll be around the same cost to adopt or possibly even free.

Good god drat news!

Oddly enough as I was hanging out with my girlfriend one of her buddies stopped by. SO we went along to her house and what do you know? He mother runs adoption for caged critters! All which have been SPAYED and neutered. Can you believe my luck?

Not only did she tell me how store bought hamsters didn't live as long due to some sort of infection (sorry I forgot which one exactly) but also how that they sometimes sell pregnant and un-SPAYED/neutered ones.

Sweeeeeeeeet.

She lives about a mile away which is even better and has a return policy :O in case I move away or I can no longer take care of a hammie.

Next Friday :c00lbert: Teddy bear hamster time.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 1, 2009