Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I just realized Mayweather is even more of a goddamn genius than I thought. After the last Mayweather Maidana fight, we swore we would never buy another Floyd fight, and I know my friends and I were not alone.

So he fights Paq, and of course everyone has to watch that one. Here, have another hundred sir!

Now I don't want to watch him again, but he is going for tying the 49-0 record and as a combo he claims it is his last fight, so he will probably get me again, that bastard. Ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ribsauce posted:

I just realized Mayweather is even more of a goddamn genius than I thought. After the last Mayweather Maidana fight, we swore we would never buy another Floyd fight, and I know my friends and I were not alone.

So he fights Paq, and of course everyone has to watch that one. Here, have another hundred sir!

Now I don't want to watch him again, but he is going for tying the 49-0 record and as a combo he claims it is his last fight, so he will probably get me again, that bastard. Ugh

And I don't think he'll stop there, either. He'll have a "comeback" to make it a big 5 and 0. He might get slower as he ages, but it's not like he's endured punishment in a grueling career; he can find a 50th fight. I just can't see someone so concerned with his legacy content with equaling Marciano's total.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ribsauce posted:

He's going to market the 49-0 as the "Retirement" fight, for extra buys, and then the 50-0 as the "Comeback/Record" fight, for extra buys.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I think everyone can agree that the most representative image of last night is

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

david carmichael posted:

Floyd isn't going to be brain damaged

Even if he was, it's not like he's going to lose the ability to read

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

fatherdog posted:

I think everyone can agree that the most representative image of last night is

Seeing the Burger king bouncing around behind the serious looking Mayweather and his security guards on the way into the ring gave me a chuckle also

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
uh ugh uhhhhhhhhhhhhh uuuughhu ughh pfftbbbbbsquanksquirt. ah.

In the end Tyson-Ali was pretty good if predictable.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
or is it Ali-Tyson

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
Ugh, is Bob Arum still alive? :(

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Andro posted:

Ugh, is Bob Arum still alive? :(

only on the outside

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

boxing is cool also good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The best thing to happen in a recent mayweather fight was his face when he heard it was a mixed decision against Alvarez and the sudden look of panic that boxing scoring was going to have him lose imo

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My biggest regret is that the "HITLER DID NOTHING WRONG" dude didn't make an appearance during Round 2 :(

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Having to explain the long rear end national anthem getting sung because commissioner sauruman is from mexico was a highlight also

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Someone earlier said that both fighters are shitheads, but I only know about mayweather and the wife-beating. What did Pacquiao do?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
he lost to Mayweather; he's poo poo. a poo poo human being.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
this was bad fight

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
Paulie is spot on.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2015/5/3/8538979/mayweather-vs-pacquiao-paulie-malignaggi-calls-pacquiao-performance

Btw, Paulie's podcast is pretty funny sometimes.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

midnightclimax posted:

Someone earlier said that both fighters are shitheads, but I only know about mayweather and the wife-beating. What did Pacquiao do?

He's not a self-parody of leftist politics, so he's very problematic.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

midnightclimax posted:

He's part of that Filipino cult church that is gaining a lot of political power.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

midnightclimax posted:

He's not going to be sponsored by Condom Depot any time soon.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's 2015 and people are still terrified to admit stuff they like sucks

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001

fatherdog posted:

Boxing fans: "Ha, 200 billion dollar fight! Who says boxing is dying!"
Casual fans: "That was really pretty boring and made me not want to watch boxing again if that's the best it has to offer."
Boxing fans: "gently caress off, casual."

Seriously, though. While all the casual fans who came out of the woodwork don't know how to score a fight, they are as good a judge of entertainment as anyone. Boxing failed to entertain the mass casual audience that showed up yesterday night, and boxing's stock drops again.

Not surprised, but I did hope that something dramatic would happen in a fight that was supposed to be all about legacies. It didn't. It was clear by the second round, but the casual fans didn't realize it till it was already over.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
the best thing in this thread is people comparing Floyd to the late 90s devils. the late 90s devils were top of the league in goals, but they have a reputation because they had an unbelievable defense. the teams they really should be bitching about are the 90s sabres and others who took clutch and grab to a new level

not only do people not know poo poo about boxing, they don't know poo poo about hockey, either

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 3, 2015

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Chris James 2 posted:

It's 2015 and people are still terrified to admit stuff they like sucks

i think most people are actually saying that they know it wasn't exciting and that unfortunately the best guy isn't usually the best guy to watch

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
So glad I dont live my life where my entertainment is only limited to flawless human beings whose political and religious leanings perfectly mirror my own

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
most people don't know poo poo about boxing

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Here is my reaction as a casual fan. By casual fan, I mean I like Rocky movies.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently Pacquiao was denied an anti-inflammatory shot before the fight because he didn't disclose the injury to the Nevada Athletic Commision and Bob Arum filed incorrect paperwork about it. Good job guys :bravo:

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

he's afraid of needles anyway

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crazy Ted posted:

Apparently Pacquiao was denied an anti-inflammatory shot before the fight because he didn't disclose the injury to the Nevada Athletic Commision and Bob Arum filed incorrect paperwork about it. Good job guys :bravo:

Classic Filipino excuses.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

the_american_dream posted:

So glad I dont live my life where my entertainment is only limited to flawless human beings whose political and religious leanings perfectly mirror my own

I'm pretty happy, entertained constantly, and still have $100 I didn't spend last night, so it's going pretty well actually :3:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm pretty happy, entertained constantly, and still have $100 I didn't spend last night, so it's going pretty well actually :3:

why are you in this thread then

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

all the greats are represented in this thread: rocky marciano, tommy morrison, uhhhh, mike tyson
TySone Smithers was a slave name.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dangersim posted:

why are you in this thread then

I'm a boxing fan and last I checked, this was a boxing thread for a boxing event (that also sucked)

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

The media storm around this fight has been hilarious. I just pray that boxing finds someone they can hype as having a chance at beating Mayweather. Then, all the people who swore off boxing forever after this fight would buy that matchup just to see Mayweather get what he "deserves". I also love that the general population cannot appreciate the concept of sport at all and need a pro wrestling style set-up of "this guy is a bad person, so I will watch to hope that he gets beat up".

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Stealth Tiger posted:

The media storm around this fight has been hilarious. I just pray that boxing finds someone they can hype as having a chance at beating Mayweather. Then, all the people who swore off boxing forever after this fight would buy that matchup just to see Mayweather get what he "deserves". I also love that the general population cannot appreciate the concept of sport at all and need a pro wrestling style set-up of "this guy is a bad person, so I will watch to hope that he gets beat up".

Unless he moves up to 160 (he won't) there isn't anyone with even a prayer.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dangersim posted:

Unless he moves up to 160 (he won't) there isn't anyone with even a prayer.

Golovkin?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Golovkin?

Khan said he's already been contacted by Mayweather for Floyd's next/last fight. Even if he has one more after that for #50, he's not going to risk 49-1 against Golovkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Golovkin?

Golovkin might have a chance if he could catch him but I could see Floyd beating him just like he beat Manny. Obiously Golovkin is much bigger and hits harder so it would be interesting. Andre Ward would have the best chance.

Edit: Actually has Ward ever fought middleweight or has he been 168 the whole time?

• Locked thread