Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm going to be disappointed if the Bills don't roll out some trick plays this year
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7370397426693246251

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The media game is now being played, with articles being released that show Tua was offered a contract that had an AAV starting with 4 and he wants one starting with a 5.

If Goff is getting 50+ million, you gotta pay Tua $50+ million. We're stuck.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Yeah it sucks. I already know 80% of TFF disagrees but I personally wouldn’t do it.

Dude has finished one season and gets worse as the season goes on every year. I’m like his biggest fan too!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

What is the better alternative? Draft the 5th best prospect next year? Trade away all your draft assets for the next 3 seasons to get someone with a real chance? Let the whole team go to poo poo for a year or two? Spend even more on a free agent QB who's either worse or on the edge of retirement?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I genuinely hate to say it but from a leverage and safety of the franchise standpoint, you let him play out that 5th year option. He hasn't answered all the questions just yet, and I simply can't support locking up 210+ million guaranteed to a guy Im genuinely worried about injuring himself every game.

Not to mention his level of play varies wildly from unstoppable all pro to "what the gently caress is that throw where are you even looking" interception

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I can’t imagine he plays well enough to raise his price tag

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

sirtommygunn posted:

What is the better alternative? Draft the 5th best prospect next year? Trade away all your draft assets for the next 3 seasons to get someone with a real chance? Let the whole team go to poo poo for a year or two? Spend even more on a free agent QB who's either worse or on the edge of retirement?

I have no idea what options will be available but I’d rather the team go to poo poo for a year or two than potentially 5.

t a s t e posted:

Also this.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

t a s t e posted:

Exactly. It’s a no lose situation for Miami to let him play it out tbh

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

t a s t e posted:

His price will go up just by virtue of another calendar year going by.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

you sign him now because you're going to have to pay him regardless and you look like cheap assholes if you try to do a wait and see approach (and you have to pay him more)

quarterbacks cost $50 million a year now, that's how it goes. franchise hitched their wagon to him when they fired flores

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Part of me wonders if they're going to do that. You've got this year of Tyreek and Ramsey, and they passed on doling out any lengthy contracts this offseason. Could be an incredibly easy teardown if they don't succeed this year.

Though how you'd let Grier be the guy to administer that I don't know

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

fsif posted:

And if he has a great healthy year, boom he's proven worth the basic increase.

lol to "the team will look cheap!"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fsif posted:

Yeah but so does the cap. I think the logic that if his price skyrockets it's probably because he balled the gently caress out makes sense. That said I do think you should probably bust out the checkbook and extend him. Do you really want to copy the last 4 years of New England Patriots football. "I will simply find another, better franchise QB" always sounds easier when you already have a QB. I mean, you just hit on one, how hard could it be? Then you go back out in the dating pool and it's a bunch of Zach Wilson and Mac Jones and Mitch Trubisky rear end losers but it's too late to turn back.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Ignore any non dolphin fan posting, they all just want to poo poo post “LOL YOURE PAYING HIM WHAT?” Any time he struggles

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

TheBizzness posted:

Ignore any non dolphin fan posting, they all just want to poo poo post “LOL YOURE PAYING HIM WHAT?” Any time he struggles

drat got me

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Amy Pole Her posted:

And if he has a great healthy year, boom he's proven worth the basic increase.

lol to "the team will look cheap!"

the team will look cheap is bad when trying to attract free agents. that's how you become the bengals

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Yeah but so does the cap. I think the logic that if his price skyrockets it's probably because he balled the gently caress out makes sense. That said I do think you should probably bust out the checkbook and extend him. Do you really want to copy the last 4 years of New England Patriots football. "I will simply find another, better franchise QB" always sounds easier when you already have a QB. I mean, you just hit on one, how hard could it be? Then you go back out in the dating pool and it's a bunch of Zach Wilson and Mac Jones and Mitch Trubisky rear end losers but it's too late to turn back.

I think average QB salary as percentage of cap has continued to grow YOY as well, but I don't know that for sure and it seems like the kind of thing Kalli will come along and crunch the numbers for within 36 hours or so.

But I don't know what new information the Dolphins are hoping to find with one more season. I think we have a good bead on who Tua is as a player. He's a starter and a top 12 guy that has brilliant games but is highly dependent on a system being tailored to his strengths. You can do worse.

Durr Kommissar
Jan 25, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

the team will look cheap is bad when trying to attract free agents. that's how you become the bengals

I’m a Florida hater, but it’s Miami dude. A lot of free agents aren’t gonna shy away from signing there, regardless of the ownership taking the wait and see approach with a frequently injured QB.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if you can get Tua to sign an extension this offseason for a flat 50 AAV it's a great deal. if he plays hardball you offer up to what the Lions gave Goff; beyond that, you have the option and two tags to figure things out

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

yes

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Declan MacManus posted:

Nothing they've done or have been doing would scare any free agent.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40115297/new-york-jets-win-super-bowl-2024-season-aaron-rodgers

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

What would scare off free agents is letting Tua walk, whiffing on his replacement, and totally sucking rear end. New England is radioactive right now to free agents. Like we had a massive bag of cash to spend and the best we could do was KJ Osborn and Antonio Gibson lmao.

Option + tag seems like a valid strategy if they really don’t want to commit. Straight up throwing him back and trying again is not imo

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

even if the dolphins don't win a single game they'll still won't scare off free agents because its miami and they have nice facilities and no taxes and the coach let's them play xbox

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you don't think Tua is the guy, then don't sign him. There's no, oh we only paid him $45m per, it's a great deal, that's Daniel Jones logic.

Let him play it out. If he has a good year and shows he's worth a contract, who cares if it's $8m more per if he actually is the guy.

If he isn't the guy, then you're basically hoping you can draft and build a perfect team to maybe pray your way through the playoffs. Super low odds regardless. Might as well trust in your coaching to go find his Brock Purdy.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

another upside of not paying Tua is someone else will pay him $50m and it'll probably be funny. imagine the broncos doing that.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Option + tag seems like a valid strategy if they really don’t want to commit. Straight up throwing him back and trying again is not imo
Who is suggesting anything but this

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

TheBizzness posted:

Yeah it sucks. I already know 80% of TFF disagrees but I personally wouldn’t do it.

Dude has finished one season and gets worse as the season goes on every year. I’m like his biggest fan too!

I took this post to mean just cut bait and start over. If Mr. The Bizzness meant option + tag but not a long term deal then never mind!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Docjowles posted:

I took this post to mean just cut bait and start over. If Mr. The Bizzness meant option + tag but not a long term deal then never mind!

Yeah sorry, I didn’t mean just dump him, but play it out.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The only thing this division's made me learn is whatever decision is chosen will ultimately prove to be the wrong one unless it's literally only for Tom Brady exclusively

So either they'll pay him and still not win a playoff game, or let him walk and he'll go on to only win playoff games

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

The only thing this division's made me learn is whatever decision is chosen will ultimately prove to be the wrong one unless it's literally only for Tom Brady exclusively

So either they'll pay him and still not win a playoff game, or let him walk and he'll go on to only win playoff games

yeah pretty much

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

If they’re paying $55m per next year to some QB, I think the Dolphins would prefer to give it to Dak.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

If they’re paying $55m per next year to some QB, I think the Dolphins would prefer to give it to Dak.

This might be weird coming from me but I don't think Dak is all that much better than Tua.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

TheBizzness posted:

Yeah sorry, I didn’t mean just dump him, but play it out.

Welp disregard my posts then (as usual). Thought there was a faction arguing for wading back into the draft/free agent pool on the logic that if you don't have a top 3 QB you don't have a QB.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

paying Dak would be even stupider than paying Tua

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
lol at dak trying to consistently get the ball out in under 2 seconds

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

mcmagic posted:

This might be weird coming from me but I don't think Dak is all that much better than Tua.

They kind of have the same problem despite being vastly different QBs.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Don’t pay him poo poo until he can prove that it’s possible for him to have the game on the line and not take a sack or throw a pick.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

nachos posted:

lol at dak trying to consistently get the ball out in under 2 seconds

Before this off-season I would have said McDaniel could scheme an offense around whoever is at QB but now that Grier has built an offense that is "oops all speedsters" I think they're required to resign Tua or find someone with his exact skillset and only one of those is realistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

If you don't think Tua is the guy, then don't sign him. There's no, oh we only paid him $45m per, it's a great deal, that's Daniel Jones logic.

Let him play it out. If he has a good year and shows he's worth a contract, who cares if it's $8m more per if he actually is the guy.

If he isn't the guy, then you're basically hoping you can draft and build a perfect team to maybe pray your way through the playoffs. Super low odds regardless. Might as well trust in your coaching to go find his Brock Purdy.

The thing I don't understand is why the Dolphins don't already know if he's their guy or not. They should loving know by now.