Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't like it when wrestlers only do a move so it can be countered. If someone's going to bend over for a back body drop so they can be kicked in the face or DDT'd or whatever, they gotta at least sometimes do the actual move.

That specifically is a huge pet peeve of mine, but I couldn't figure out how to phrase it. It doesn't help that back body drops usually go by fast enough that I never internalize that the other guy needs to bend over to do it. I know the person bending over is going for that, but I never see it in the counter and think "he's starting a back body drop", I just think they're setting up for the stock counter spot.

Also, an honorable mention to signature moves that only exist to be countered in a variety of ways. They tend to grow on me so I'm not fully hating them, but it's still weird. Looking at you, Lethal Injection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's why the BBD counter is particularly bad; they don't bend over! When someone's actually going to do a back body drop, they squat down so they can lift their opponent. When they're setting up to get kicked in the face, they bend 90 at the waist with their legs and back straight. They usually do this right as their opponent is hitting the ropes, so it never takes you by surprise. At least the powerbomb counter setup actually looks like a powerbomb.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Was the hard counter a powerbomb?

Stacked to death.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Was the hard counter a powerbomb?

Kidman.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't like it when wrestlers only do a move so it can be countered. If someone's going to bend over for a back body drop so they can be kicked in the face or DDT'd or whatever, they gotta at least sometimes do the actual move.

gently caress you for reminding me that he exists.

Whiffed powerslam :hmmyes:

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

They had sheets of what they couldn't say but a lot more freedom to kind of do whatever they wanted because WWE didn't pay as much attention.
The most famous example is probably that they had no idea that "El Patron" had become Alberto's nickname to Spanish-speaking viewers and thus that he could go wherever he wanted with what was effectively his WWE name when they fired him.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

It's even worse when a wrestler's signature move involves mind controlling their opponent to do a move that isn't in their moveset just so it can be countered like the old Kidman powerbomb reversal or Owen Hart enziguri.

Putting themselves into position to be tripped to the ropes for a 619 was the egregious one to me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At least you can actually put someone in that position, but it's very weird when someone accidentally does it to themselves.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

This always drove me crazy

Who the hell is ever gonna put themself in that position? Whyyy???

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The swerve stomp works basically the same way and the setup for that is insanely goofy roughly half the time 😵‍💫:ssh:

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

post hole digger posted:

The swerve stomp works basically the same way and the setup for that is insanely goofy roughly half the time 😵‍💫:ssh:

Samoa Joe rolling across half the ring to set up the one he kicked out of before Swerve won the belt

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Sandman from ECW posted:

This always drove me crazy

Who the hell is ever gonna put themself in that position? Whyyy???

yeah, the setup for the stomp takes way too long almost every time, it's really impractical to leave someone dangling then climb and position and jump

I think you'd need a window of like 3 seconds tops of a wrestler hanging on before it enters silly town and gets worse by the moment

at least the Swerve one has them sitting on the mat, but it still fails on ring positioning a lot

Swerve really needs a consistent setup move that stuns them while in the seated position to make the whole thing easier to sell

e; I really like to handwave a lot of this stuff with the old rule of the Irish Whip making no sense either, but it's tough when it's more recently innovated moves and you haven't just internalized them enough to protect your suspension of disbelief. I bet someone who was a little kid watching the Alberto stomps has a way easier time just accepting them nowadays

The337th fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 9, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I kind of wish Swerve would move to the House Call and Big Pressure/JML Driver as his main finishing sequence.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Anyone have any pet peeves from a particular wrestler that annoys you? I have noticed rewatching older shows that Bradshaw always starts getting up at about 2.75 into a pin when he wins a match. I notice it every time now and I can't believe he never got corrected by someone.

once you see Penta or Swerve double slap the backs of their thighs on the arm snap move, or Cole slap his on the last shot Boom~!, you can't un-see it.

also the arm snap (& the finger snap for that matter) that announcers sell as legitimate. Like, why are we not stopping the match if his arm just got broken? It just breaks the illusion.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

StupidSexyMothman posted:

once you see Penta or Swerve double slap the backs of their thighs on the arm snap move, or Cole slap his on the last shot Boom~!, you can't un-see it.

also the arm snap (& the finger snap for that matter) that announcers sell as legitimate. Like, why are we not stopping the match if his arm just got broken? It just breaks the illusion.

To add to this, another thing that drives me crazy is when people do the death-sell and no one comes to check on them. Like, you have a person in/near your ring who is completely motionless/unconscious and apparently no one cares? Seems like something people should care about.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

StupidSexyMothman posted:

the arm snap was better in lucha underground because if penta did that poo poo in a regular match the match was over, someone's arm was kayfabe broken, and penta didn't care if he won or lost because he was just here for the violence.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nea posted:

the arm snap was better in lucha underground because if penta did that poo poo in a regular match the match was over, someone's arm was kayfabe broken, and penta didn't care if he won or lost because he was just here for the violence.

That makes it worse because that is very goofy, it's better now as just a move.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

MassRafTer posted:

That makes it worse because that is very goofy, it's better now as just a move.

sometimes goofy things are good.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
goofy on Lucha Underground????

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Cody no-selling the Sacrifice was a massive blow to Pentagon's aura in AEW because you had to watch him in TNA to know it was no longer an arm break, and obviously most people did not.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Cody no-selling the Sacrifice was a massive blow to Pentagon's aura in AEW because you had to watch him in TNA to know it was no longer an arm break, and obviously most people did not.

Most people did not watch Lucha Underground, more people were probably watching TNA at that point.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

yeah if I had watched zero Lucha Underground, like most people, I'd just see Penta doing that and go "ouch, nasty hyperextension there"

as someone who did watch a season of LU, I just went "oh yeah, it's obviously not an arm break now"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm glad I watched Lucha Underground. Otherwise I would have missed out on Mil Muertes, Man of a Thousand Deaths, and his Shang Tsung throne overlooking the ring.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I'm glad I watched Lucha Underground. Otherwise I would have missed out on Mil Muertes, Man of a Thousand Deaths, and his Shang Tsung throne overlooking the ring.

GRAVE

CONSEQUENCES

poo poo was so good. Having that kind of brutal casket match with the pomp and circumstance they added, in a small studio, made it awesome.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Vampiro being the master of Penta was also great.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

fez_machine posted:

goofy on Lucha Underground????

*Penta snaps Goofy's arm*

"Yaaaaaaa-hoo-hoo-hoo-hooey!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Remember when Huey and Dewie pushed Louie in the cage to be devoured by Pluto? :smith:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

post hole digger posted:

Yeah and it’s not great. It needs to be a more situational super move, ironically much more like the cinder block version that everyone lines to talk about

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What's your favorite non wrestling segments for shows? I have a soft spot in my heart for Babyface after being disgraced hunts down the heels or traps them in ridiculous traps. Like Stone Cold used to do and I think Kurt Angle did once or twice.

Baby faces looking for approval from the crowd before doing something, like hitting somebody with a chair. Hogan is a master of this

Heels turning face by having a moral code. So refusing to take part in a beat down or running in to save a babyface. Booker T had a really great version of this in 2004 where he was expected to betray his team of RVD and Mysterio to JBL. Instead Booker just kicks JBLs rear end and it ruled.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Remember when Huey and Dewie pushed Louie in the cage to be devoured by Pluto? :smith:

Cane Dewie.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sick sons of bitches

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If we're still doing pet peeves, it's annoying when opponents crawl halfway across the ring to set themselves up in the corner for a hip attack. If you're wrestling against Mariah May or Toni Storm, that's the last place you should voluntarily choose to be! It's even worse when they signal for the hip attack before the opponent's even there. I like both Mariah May and Toni Storm despite that though.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 10, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If Rob Van Dam offers you his seat, don't take him up on it!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

If we're still doing pet peeves, it's annoying when opponents crawl halfway across the ring to set themselves up in the corner for a hip attack. If you're wrestling against Mariah May or Toni Storm, that's the last place you should voluntarily choose to be!

if i was a wrestler i would be desperately flailing around to avoid getting my rear end beat.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

If we're still doing pet peeves, it's annoying when opponents crawl halfway across the ring to set themselves up in the corner for a hip attack. If you're wrestling against Mariah May or Toni Storm, that's the last place you should voluntarily choose to be! It's even worse when they signal for the hip attack before the opponent's even there. I like both Mariah May and Toni Storm despite that though.

Harley’s timing wasn’t the greatest, but she’s still pretty green. I don’t hate it nearly as much as the stomp setups, as “being in the corner” is pretty common as is “crawling to the ropes to get up”

Nobody ever sits up facing the corner for anything except getting stomped

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Captain Foo posted:

Nobody ever sits up facing the corner for anything except getting stomped

This was my original take (likely bad) about the 619 - the only time you see someone laying across the middle rope like that is to set that up.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

i thought of another pet peeve: white trunks. always look like diapers. never looks good. wear literally any other color!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

akiyama made em work

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I hate hockey punches and machine gun chops. Awful strikes that immediately take me out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wrestler goes for a pin

1-2-kick out

"That was a three!" No it wasn't, get on with it, you weenie.