Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Suplex Liberace posted:

just take your shirt off wherever you are and try for your self op

Broke my elbows, thanks a lot!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

How does someone like RUSH appear to just full on murder his opponents with strikes? Especially the forearms and Bulls Horns?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I think for guys like RUSH they actually do end up hitting harder than your usual worked strikes. That's why the matches between Fuminori Abe and Takuya Nomura are so good cause their best friends and show their love for each other by really laying in their strikes. Sometimes folks will take issue with people working too stiff and won't want to work with them.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
Mick Foley tells a story in his first book about a similar question he had about Terry Funk and how his punches looked so real. He found out in a match when Terry punched him in the face for real.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

As it happens the body is both extremely fragile and resilient!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Toni Storm’s rear end has to be in this category as well

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Broke my elbows, thanks a lot!!

what kinda stack of dimes do you have for shoulders

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Quid posted:

Mick Foley tells a story in his first book about a similar question he had about Terry Funk and how his punches looked so real. He found out in a match when Terry punched him in the face for real.

Technically the forehead, which is the secret to the sauce.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Suplex Liberace posted:

what kinda stack of dimes do you have for shoulders

My shoulders are like basketballs and so powerful that when I used them to smash my elbows together it turned them into a fine powder. Shoulders are feeling great, I’m learning to live without elbows.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
everything Ganso said is true. an utterly magnificent beast, that one

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I've always had a vivid memory of this one Terry Funk match in WCW where he just swings for the fences on some dude with a haymaker, the other guy falls on his rear end away from it with this look of "Holy poo poo that would have killed me". No clue what the actual match was

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

I've always had a vivid memory of this one Terry Funk match in WCW where he just swings for the fences on some dude with a haymaker, the other guy falls on his rear end away from it with this look of "Holy poo poo that would have killed me". No clue what the actual match was

was it the one with the horse

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

My shoulders are like basketballs and so powerful that when I used them to smash my elbows together it turned them into a fine powder. Shoulders are feeling great, I’m learning to live without elbows.

drat well im sorry here you go as apologies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyyx9P-YzqQ

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

If you just hit somebody in the head as hard you can multiple times won't you break their face and/or your hand?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

If you just hit somebody in the head as hard you can multiple times won't you break their face and/or your hand?

i would bet terry had his fist loose when he was punching people which helps a touch

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

one thing they do teach you at wrestling training when throwing punches is that you don't throw them haymaker style and if you are gona do a straight punch, open your hand up.

they can still hurt that way but they won't do much damage.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm not a pro-wrestler, but I've done boxing/kickboxing, if you avoid the eyes, nose, chin, and jaw that will protect your opponent's most breakable surfaces, if your opponent sways with it rather than just trying to resist the punch that will bleed a lot of force as well which also helps you not break your hand. I've played with throwing worked punches just for giggles on a bag and you can make a pretty convincing looking soft hit if you just try to restrain yourself on the follow through and pull back before the hit touches. No idea if that's how wrestlers are trained, but :shrug:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Suplex Liberace posted:

drat well im sorry here you go as apologies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyyx9P-YzqQ

I am healed!

I love Sid so much. Survivor Series 96 is an all-timer.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's so weird watching Hogan take a powerbomb. What's the most dangerous move he ever took?

Similar question, are there other notable examples of egomaniacs taking movesxthat require a great amount of cooperation?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

It's so weird watching Hogan take a powerbomb. What's the most dangerous move he ever took?

Similar question, are there other notable examples of egomaniacs taking movesxthat require a great amount of cooperation?

Shawn Michaels basically fights from under his entire career and took a whole bunch of wild rear end bumps from sid and taker.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Toni Storm’s rear end has to be in this category as well

I talked to Toni Storm in the locker room before our match. I told her "Hey Timeless. For your finish, I want you to hit me with your rear end as hard as you possibly can."
-"But dahling. Why would I ever deliver such a strrrrike?"
-"Because your real rear end can't be any worse than your worked rear end"

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Shawn Michaels basically fights from under his entire career and took a whole bunch of wild rear end bumps from sid and taker.

His first title defense at IYH Good Friends, Better Enemies has the big caveat that he's working with his best buddy Nash, but drat if that isn't still one of the all-time greatest rear end-kickings.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You know when one guy hits the ropes and the other guy immediately hits the perpendicular ones to intercept him? Do we know who invented or even popularized it?

I always think of it as a New Japan thing, but today I saw a match on youtube in Wales in the early 90s and Regal and Dave Taylor do it, and that was a surprise to me.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

You know when one guy hits the ropes and the other guy immediately hits the perpendicular ones to intercept him? Do we know who invented or even popularized it?

I always think of it as a New Japan thing, but today I saw a match on youtube in Wales in the early 90s and Regal and Dave Taylor do it, and that was a surprise to me.

I for sure have seen that spot in black and white. I feel like I saw that spot in that French Wrestling match from the 50s that involved launch pads. And I've certainly seen that in lucha in Mexico.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The337th posted:

e; I really like to handwave a lot of this stuff with the old rule of the Irish Whip making no sense either, but it's tough when it's more recently innovated moves and you haven't just internalized them enough to protect your suspension of disbelief.
I feel like you can rationalize a lot of this stuff if you occasionally show the alternative. I seem to remember Jake Roberts was in a match where his opponent was working the leg, so when he got whipped he just flopped. (I know nerds tend to overrate *~psychology~* but that kind of thing does work for me.) Maybe sometimes a guy should actually get short-arm clotheslined or take a seionage off the whip, to show what happens when you don't run the ropes.

And I feel like even though people think of WWF in the 80s as cartoon wrestling, it had an internal logic that held together, partly because at that point guys weren't really distinguishing themselves by bringing a whole arsenal of unique moves. Like, if guys did more planchas and axehandles off the top rope, a Flying Nothing wouldn't register as a Flying Nothing.

Defenestrategy posted:

That does put his complaints about Vader working too stiff in perspective.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Eh.... maybe? It should be contextualized that Shawn can make anyone he wants to look like a million dollars(Taker/Shelton), by the same token he was not above spiking the tires of someone who he didnt want to help or didnt want to work with even if it made the match lovely.(Hogan)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel like you can rationalize a lot of this stuff if you occasionally show the alternative. I seem to remember Jake Roberts was in a match where his opponent was working the leg, so when he got whipped he just flopped. (I know nerds tend to overrate *~psychology~* but that kind of thing does work for me.) Maybe sometimes a guy should actually get short-arm clotheslined or take a seionage off the whip, to show what happens when you don't run the ropes.

And I feel like even though people think of WWF in the 80s as cartoon wrestling, it had an internal logic that held together, partly because at that point guys weren't really distinguishing themselves by bringing a whole arsenal of unique moves. Like, if guys did more planchas and axehandles off the top rope, a Flying Nothing wouldn't register as a Flying Nothing.

I think most flying nothings could be fixed by making them appear to be axehandles and the booth selling them as countered axehandles

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Anyway, I think I have a fun one: Who are the guys said to have "presence" or the It Factor who aren't good on the mic, at least not on purpose? The ones who immediately come to mind are Warrior, Sid, and Goldberg.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Anyway, I think I have a fun one: Who are the guys said to have "presence" or the It Factor who aren't good on the mic, at least not on purpose? The ones who immediately come to mind are Warrior, Sid, and Goldberg.

Jade Cargill. Mercedes Mone.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Young Brock, Undertaker

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have zero doubt that the aura would not have continued if he actually wrestled but I will absolutely go to bat for Trench being the first person to show up on screen who made me do a double-take and say "wow" in years

And plus he is technically undefeated!!!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

warrior ruled wtf there was no better coked up promos.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jade is pretty good on the mic even if she only has one note.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I still laugh every time I think about "what happened to you?? I don't care"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Jade is pretty good on the mic even if she only has one note.

Ill forever be of the opinion she is at best mid on the mic, and all the good jade promos are stricktly because smart mark and stokely are the number one and two heel mouth pieces

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

over the last 70 years of wrestling there has been maybe 25 wrestlers who are good at promos. In a sense that you want to hear them talk for more than 1 minute.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Defenestrategy posted:

Ill forever be of the opinion she is at best mid on the mic, and all the good jade promos are stricktly because smart mark and stokely are the number one and two heel mouth pieces

I really don’t know how she can promo in WWE without having “Cut the poo poo, Tony.” to lean on.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My problem with Jade is that they give her this arrogant super star gimmick in AEW and has the mannerisms but when she talks I dont believe her for a second. Which I dunno good for her for not being able to act like an arrogant pos, but thats kinda what you need in a heel.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Defenestrategy posted:

My problem with Jade is that they give her this arrogant super star gimmick in AEW and has the mannerisms but when she talks I dont believe her for a second. Which I dunno good for her for not being able to act like an arrogant pos, but thats kinda what you need in a heel.

I had no problem believing her, they just didn't give her anything to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

How's she doing in the big pond anyway