Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
So Moka the Quaker: almost three months now since I adopted him and he is about the opposite of what I’ve known of Quakers: he’s super tame, never bites (except a tiny peck once when he was in a weird mood exploring my bedroom not wanting to be bothered), doesn’t really screech, is not cage aggressive at all. It’s a delight to spend time with him. Oh and he’s a huge glutton.

There’s just one thing I’ve noticed: he... uh... doesn’t fly. The one time he did it was because I had left him one minute too long in another room and decided to panick fly like Dumbo in the most clumsy way possible on my shoulder.

It was adorable. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyBIFeqMokY

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

budgies on fingerboards is one of my favorite video subgenres.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Hey guys, you know what we haven't had in a while? A bird shop safari.

First up is Mango, who poofs upon even the suspicion of scritches.

Officially unnamed, Snowy is the chillest ringneck I've ever met, until the camera comes out. Then she's the spazziest.

Mystery is a recent addition to the shop. She's sweet and curious, and was found in a parking lot. All attempts to find her original owner failed, so now she's looking for new ones.

Mutzili? Mituzi? Muziti? Something like that. Her cage had to be padlocked, because she's figured out everything else. I love her little squeaky croaky voice.

My main girl, Lovey. Super sweet, a little shy, was used for breeding before coming here. Not actually for sale at the moment, but the shop owner wants to socialize her a bunch before making a final decision. She makes laser gun noises for scritches. :kimchi:

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 3, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/adamcbest/status/959228482298445824

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Suntan Boy posted:

Mutzili? Mituzi? Muziti? Something like that. Her cage had to be padlocked, because she's figured out everything else. I love her little squeaky croaky voice.

So many pins. I want to scritch.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

You win this thread.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Tuesday was Nugget's bird-day. :3: She's been adventuring with our party 10 years, across 5 states, multiple moves and jobs, and basically our entire adult lives. She is the best forever and I hope she lives a freakishly long and happy life with us :toot:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Let's play "spot the parrot."

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you pretend he's squished right up against the door frame he becomes the world's tiniest grey.

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bewq6iKh_Az/

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Jose Oquendo posted:

It actually made me jump when I spotted him.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

quote="nielsm" post="480941719"]
So many pins. I want to scritch.
[/quote]

I wanted to so bad. But, you know, padlock.

Jose Oquendo posted:

That took an embarrassing account of time. In my defense, I almost exclusively browse the forums from the app anymore.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Finally home tomorrow (though super late) after about a month and a half, looking forward to facing the wrath of three tiny furious little parrots :kimchi:

I wonder how Inko will react mostly, after a month of flying wildly after my partner, will he come to me too? Will we be able to pick up where we left off, where he was stepping up on to my bare wrist? Or will he have regressed and hold a grudge?

Ohtori usually bites me for a while while demanding scritches, and Steve is usually super happy up in my face singing and whistling to me for 5-10 minutes before business as usual. Inko I don't know really though, especially since we were making progress before Christmas and he seemed to be getting closer to us

(I've also got a new piercing so wondering if they're going to go for that or not)

Pip pip pip posted:

Tuesday was Nugget's bird-day. :3: She's been adventuring with our party 10 years, across 5 states, multiple moves and jobs, and basically our entire adult lives. She is the best forever and I hope she lives a freakishly long and happy life with us :toot:

Happy birdday little Nugget!!

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Disconcerting discovery recently. Preface, we lost our tag due to eye surgery but she was in really bad shape from it. Now the wife notices something odd about little girls/Gingers (the female of the two disabled tags we have) right eye. There appears to be a largish dark grey object protruding through her iris. She otherwise uses the eye pretty well, appears to be in no discomfort (she's not messing with it etc.), and she's probably had this for a while now (it's hard to notice unless you look in her eye at the right angles in the sun).

Just concerned. I'll probably bring it up at the vet to get their take.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
hmm, been experimenting with letting my finches out of their cage to stretch their wings a bit. Works out for a while, then they freak out and forget how to get back in the cage. Flying in circles in the living room, stopping in random potted plants while tooting to each other. Got them to jump onto my finger several times, but they flew off again whenever I got close to the cage.Took me two hours to get them back in today haha... At least they got some exercise I guess...

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Nice. Food lures might work.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

https://twitter.com/ItsABirbThing/status/960615003484315648

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

No touch! Only scritch!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

is this loss?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton shoved Galbedir off the cupboard :negative: He immediately started squeaking pitifully and dashed back up to feed her while she grumped and grumbled. What a terrible girlfriend.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just taking a little dump.

You can see Putni's beautiful iris color here :3:

Edit: Also here's Putni grabbing onto a cob of millet, Pion doesn't know to do that.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 6, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/FwbMRsF.mp4

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

/
HE WAS IN THE loving AIR

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

DID YOU GUYS loving SEE THAT???

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
At my local petshop there's this blue ringneck parrot (I think). He's been there for more than a year and he looks like poo poo :/ He's never looked particularly healthy or happy, but lately he's been looking really, really sad. He's constantly puffed up and shivering, he's got some sort of crust around his nostrils and his colors seem to be fading. He's supposed to be blue, but currently he looks grey. I've never heard him make a sound and he seems scared when people get close to his aviary cage.

Finally asked the people working there what the deal was. I've been thinking he might be an old bird a previous owner had dropped off or something, but apparently he's a young bird. They've recently taken him to the vet, but apart from cleaning up his beak a bit the vet couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. They also got another ringneck to keep him company (he's been alone in there for like a year or something ://). That apparently helped a little, but I can't really say that I've seen a difference. The other parrot looks way better, but his feathers are also a bit ruffled.

I don't know a whole lot about parrots, but to me it looks like he's super stressed out and depressed. I've never seen anyone try to talk to him or socialize with him - apart from the occasional screaming toddlers that stroll past the bird section of the store from time to time...

It pains (and infuriates) me to see him every time I visit the store. Lately I've begun toying with the idea of buying and rescuing him. I loving bet I could make his life a lot better, with better food, better care and a more relaxing atmosphere... I honestly don't think I have the room for a bigass aviary, or the time, or the knowhow and so on and so on... but jeez I want to do something for him.

Bad phone photo:

Truck Stop Daddy fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 7, 2018

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If that is a he, he is very young, he doesn't have his ring yet

that's really sad :(

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

underage at the vape shop posted:

If that is a he, he is very young, he doesn't have his ring yet

that's really sad :(

Could be a she tbh, I don't know the gender. Probably a tad older than a year old if i understood the shop dude right.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

That is a colour they come in, so s/he could really be that colour rather than blue.

Regarding vet being stumped, it's unlikely they took it to an avian or exotics vet with bird experience (though you could ask).

Purely randomly guessing, but if the other bird isn't sick, they're not plucking, and they've got that big cage with toys to play with, then maybe it's diet related. Especially if it's only being fed a seed mix with the odd one or two fresh foods sometimes like a lot of stores tend to. I think vitamin A deficiency would affect beak etc like that, though can't double check right now.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

Battle Pigeon posted:

That is a colour they come in, so s/he could really be that colour rather than blue.

Regarding vet being stumped, it's unlikely they took it to an avian or exotics vet with bird experience (though you could ask).

Purely randomly guessing, but if the other bird isn't sick, they're not plucking, and they've got that big cage with toys to play with, then maybe it's diet related. Especially if it's only being fed a seed mix with the odd one or two fresh foods sometimes like a lot of stores tend to. I think vitamin A deficiency would affect beak etc like that, though can't double check right now.
They're feeding them pellets from nutribird I think, unsure if they get much fresh foods at all. His aviary is big and it got toys in it, but he's just completely stationary. Barely moves around on his perch even. He is supposed to have the same blue hue as in the pic, but he's lost all sheen. His feathers look very dull. They most definitely didn't take it to an avian/exotic animals vet, because the nearest one is 700km away :/

The other bird was introduced in the aviary just a few weeks back. They don't seem to interact much though, the dude in the shop was unsure if they got along...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/hrg0YuA.gifv

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
The cutest predator

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

motgerfucker is NOT doing that with fingats, that's a severe no no for birds of prey

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I’m a blue eyed ginger, what was the question?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

I’m a blue eyed ginger, what was the question?

how do you not explode on contact with sunlight?

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Just saw an article in Scientific American about the illegal exotic pet trade and man...seeing images of cockatoos stuffed into literal 2-liter bottles and budgies smushed into strawberry packages 7 at a time...not a good way to start the day.

Give your birdies some love tonight, guys.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Look at those gluttons :kimchi:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGM05jV-lEI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Greys have this slight ungainliness to them sometimes in my mind, like they're both smart and awkward (so basically more human than we know).

Also,

https://i.imgur.com/eZXShU0.gifv