Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Part of me wonders why the Gorosei don't just take out any potential threats on their own like Big Mom and Kaido teaming up to take over the world. But I guess their strength wouldn't be enough to take them down, while Big Mom/Kaido couldn't actually kill them thus leading to a stalemate, rendering the whole thing pointless. I guess it's better for them to maintain the status quo unless they're forced to wipe out the world and start over again.
I think logistically speaking it made sense for the gorosei to maintain the pre-existing balance of power. Before Luffy showed up, the knowledge/skill necessary to significantly upset things was distributed across a bunch of different groups who were able to hold each other to a stalemate that didn’t threaten the positions at the top. Even as teleporting demons from hell, I don’t think it would have been feasible for them to rule absolutely across the entire Grand Line / Blue Sea, and going scorched-earth may also have risked awakening Nika (literally the first direct action the gorosei take in the story leads to him reappearing lol)

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

My guess is that, at the time, Shanks was as interested in maintaining the status quo just as much as the Gorosei are, except now he's decided to slam the "Find the One Piece" button to force a change in the world now that Luffy has achieved his Nika form which he, presumably, was betting on all this time.

Then again, a lot of people think the person Shanks was referring to in his meeting was Blackbeard when in fact I think it was Luffy. I think Shanks is playing 4D chess and intentionally baited the Gorosei into getting Luffy to achieve his Nika form. How Shanks knows all this I don't know.

Roger told Shanks about what he found at Laugh Tale. Given we know the One Piece was something left there by Joy Boy, I think it’s fair to assume Shanks knows a lot about Nika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There was also an implication that Doflamingo had dirt on the WG that he used to help maintain the stalemate that was important for his own plan

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Boar elder had a decent face when luffy baseballed the bombs back at the elders

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

Jimbei waited till Zoro had Lucci at 1HP then went for the killsteal

my agenda says lucci still had at least 50% hp left

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
loving lmfao at luffy having all his notable details blasted off him by the roar and then gingerly picking up his chest burn scar and eye scar and putting them back into place

gear 5 is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TGG posted:

Kaku is awesome.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

My guess is that, at the time, Shanks was as interested in maintaining the status quo just as much as the Gorosei are, except now he's decided to slam the "Find the One Piece" button to force a change in the world now that Luffy has achieved his Nika form which he, presumably, was betting on all this time.

Then again, a lot of people think the person Shanks was referring to in his meeting was Blackbeard when in fact I think it was Luffy. I think Shanks is playing 4D chess and intentionally baited the Gorosei into getting Luffy to achieve his Nika form. How Shanks knows all this I don't know.

No one knows who Shanks spoke about. It’s a great abuse of reader and fan knowledge leading to assumptions.

I find myself starting to agree that there are two Shanks in that if Garland is the moon, then there should be two parts of it. There’s the part of the moon we always see and the dark side of the moon no one sees.

Which was why it was shocking to the Gorosei that he came.

That meeting of Shanks and the Gorosei really sticks out as a self-fulfilling prophecy as well. Is it a throw away scene or not? Why are we so focused on this out of no where? It felt like we shouldn’t be seeing the scene at all, even the Gorosei are taken aback much like the reader. But we continually don’t notice Oda hiding everything in plain sight.

If Shanks spoke about Luffy then there’s the light side of the moon. If Shanks talked bout Blackbeard, the dark side. Or vice versa given that the light will concern itself with the dark, etc.

It just feels like Davy back. There’s something going on that is important but we are too busy being on a cruise we don’t notice and we forget to look back.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's plausible Shanks was just trying to convince the gorosei to take Blackbeard seriously as a threat, like he did with Whitebeard. The Pirate Emperors are effectively recognised as controlling independent nations that the WG doesn't mess with, so it seems possible he'd be allowed to parlay (as long as it doesn't become public

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 23, 2024

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I figured Shanks was talking about Buggy as that "certain pirate" and that's what got him recognized as an Emperor after all the Cross Guild poo poo started up.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
The CP9 cover arc had the entire team work odd jobs to pay for Lucci's medical bills for no apparent self-benefit, so of course he feels some sort of camaraderie. He also seems to respect Kaku the most out of the team.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

PuttyKnife posted:

No one knows who Shanks spoke about. It’s a great abuse of reader and fan knowledge leading to assumptions.

I find myself starting to agree that there are two Shanks in that if Garland is the moon, then there should be two parts of it. There’s the part of the moon we always see and the dark side of the moon no one sees.

Which was why it was shocking to the Gorosei that he came.

That meeting of Shanks and the Gorosei really sticks out as a self-fulfilling prophecy as well. Is it a throw away scene or not? Why are we so focused on this out of no where? It felt like we shouldn’t be seeing the scene at all, even the Gorosei are taken aback much like the reader. But we continually don’t notice Oda hiding everything in plain sight.

If Shanks spoke about Luffy then there’s the light side of the moon. If Shanks talked bout Blackbeard, the dark side. Or vice versa given that the light will concern itself with the dark, etc.

It just feels like Davy back. There’s something going on that is important but we are too busy being on a cruise we don’t notice and we forget to look back.

he just really wanted to share his theories about Gin and Axe Hand Morgann

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

hatty posted:

he just really wanted to share his theories about Gin and Axe Hand Morgann

That is big news for sure if true.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Me personally I’d never trust pigeon guy

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
ive always assumed the conversation was about blackbeard because i really like the idea that despite carrying old legacies consciously or otherwise, luffy and blackbeard represent unprecedented events in history, like they've each got the potential to accomplish feats their forebears believed in but failed at instead of literally just being joyboy and rocks going through exact motions. so shanks talking about blackbeard to the gorosei in the terms he does and to be willing to do so in the first place is exciting to me. i don't think shanks is on that 4d chess poo poo to such a convoluted degree as to be talking about luffy because it doesn't really gel with his character to me and in any other interpretation of it being luffy i don't think a shanks heel turn really fits the spirit of the story

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
it being about buggy would be great though

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
but like blackbeard scarring shanks and the weight shanks puts behind his warning to whitebeard have always made blackbeard feel like a really cool chaotic element for the world

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

BASEBALLER LUFFY

I'm still thinking about him

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i hope someone in the story gets really indignant about gear five's cartoon logic lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Violen posted:

i hope someone in the story gets really indignant about gear five's cartoon logic lol

And then Luffy makes them into the soyjak and him into the chad

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think that's really Gear 5's vibe

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
the only thing I don't like about Gear 5 is that we won't get any more Gear 4 forms

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

If you think about it, they’re all forms of gear one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They gotta announce the next movie so we can see big budget Gear 5

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there doesn't seem to be any way for luffy to make the elders stop being so immortal. but you know who does specialize in nullifying defenses? that's right, foxy.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mug crew reporting in

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Mug crew reporting in

let's see the arm

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ol’ baby arm Luffy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oda REALLY paying tribute to Toriyama :shobon:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Oda REALLY paying tribute to Toriyama :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KX3eyxonwY

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
best part of this chapter was the pig god gorosei being so confused and pissed off that dorry and broggy were there. “what quirk of destiny ties you together?! do you have any idea who that man is?!” lol the guy who ate the nika fruit shows up out of nowhere right when you try to have vegapunk killed. and then when you personally go to kill both of them the long lost giant warrior pirates captains show up???? do they even know each other?!?!?!?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it looks like the boar's tusks can turn into blades, and the spider's legs can turn into whips, and the horse's head can turn into a man holding a sword

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

scary ghost dog posted:

best part of this chapter was the pig god gorosei being so confused and pissed off that dorry and broggy were there. “what quirk of destiny ties you together?! do you have any idea who that man is?!” lol the guy who ate the nika fruit shows up out of nowhere right when you try to have vegapunk killed. and then when you personally go to kill both of them the long lost giant warrior pirates captains show up???? do they even know each other?!?!?!?

lol

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

So now we’re somehow at a point where an Emperor of the sea who’s very existence should be diametrically opposed to the world government can walk into its highest seat of power unannounced and that doesn’t implicate that person’s allegiance at all, regardless of the reason?

:allears:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

scary ghost dog posted:

The actual best part is

"Do you know who he is!?"

"Yeah he's our buddy!" :haw:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Electric Phantasm posted:

The actual best part is

"Do you know who he is!?"

"Yeah he's our buddy!" :haw:

The second best part is that "He's our friend" confused the Gorosei as much or more as them showing up out of nowhere.

Jiro posted:

I really hope he's joking about figuring out what the One Piece actually is..............

Personally I'm a fan of the idea that the ONE PIECE is just all the knowledge of the real history of the world, which Luffy will ignore. However there's a cardboard box in the corner with some shiny bits in it that Luffy will insist is the actual One Piece. Oda is just trying to figure out what to put in the box, and whether to have it be actually valuable like in Skypiea or have it all be Burger King Crowns and gold foil wrapped chocolate coins.

Nami: Oh my god, this changes everything
Luffy: [chocolate all over his face] I know! How did nobody know that gold was so delicious!?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imho the One Piece is going to be literally that; one piece of scarred, beaten up gold coin…from before the Void Century. There’s gonna be a horde of pirate booty too, but either because it looks rad as hell or because the Voice of All Things calls him to it, Luffy’s big find is gonna be one piece of ancient gold.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i figure that even though the one piece obviously isn't conventional treasure, there will still also be conventional treasure on laugh tale. a historical record, a weapon, a person, whatever. it'd be disappointing without some bling.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't think it'll be something like a trivial piece of treasure, didn't oda say it'd be something of substance when he denounced the "friends we made along the way" theory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I don't think Roger would lie about the treasure, so there is probably some his treasure chests and piles of gold there, but also some world shattering secrets.