Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hidalgo has also just been a general rear end in a top hat for a while. He was part of the first generation of Star Wars mega-nerds on the Internet who then got hired by Lucasfilm to run their emerging online side, and he then leveraged that into scorn for the exact type of gatekeeping fan he was who just didn't happen to luck into the break he got.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Expanse authors recently said that they couldn't use original planets for their Star Wars story because nobody would buy it if they didn't recognize something.

That's especially weird for the Expanse authors for two reasons:

1) The series they wrote for was meant to be entry-level standalone type stories for new readers to Star Wars.

2) The book they wrote was mainly set on original planets. So I'm not sure what they were talking about.

Actually looking it up, it seems like their novel has the distinction of being the final Legends continuity book released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/1324261587985731584?s=20

Here's the tweet, for reference. It made me wonder how stringent LFL is with authors doing their own thing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Okay, that makes more sense in that context.

I know that when Dark Horse had the comics license, they had a mandate that Tatooine could only be used in a comic if there was a pressing reason to set the story there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

At least part of the problem with Tatooine is that all of the settlements we see really are it. There's like 200,000 permanent residents on the whole planet and they're all in the same small part of the planet. The rest is virtually unexplored, inhospitable desert. It's like Wyoming, and there's only a few major towns you can use for works set there.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I don’t know if it was this thread who recommended Alphabet Squadron for my spare Audible credits, but my wife and I started it on a 3-hour drive today and I like it so far. Very much a combo of spy thriller and spaceship combat story that’s fairly well-written. I’m still in the “assembling the crew for the heist” beginning chapters but it’s fun.

Also, A-Wings! :neckbeard:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cross-Section posted:

https://twitter.com/DelReyStarWars/status/1294306234087215104?s=20

These books have been dope as hell, I'm hoping Freed comes through with a fitting finale.

I want Alphabet Squadron single-player/coop content for Squadrons badly and I;m not afraid to admit it. The author has obviously played hundreds of hours of X-Wing/TIE Fighter, you can follow all the space sequences as if you were flying the mission in one of the games. MORE MORE MOAR !!!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Evidently, since the Disney purchase, Alan Dean Foster hasn't been getting any royalties for the novelization : SFWA article

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hazo posted:

Also, A-Wings! :neckbeard:
gently caress A -WINGS
this post brought to you by x-tie ugly gang

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nice Die-Wing

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nice Die-Wing

:actually: The Die-wing was a TIE cockpit pod with Y-wing engines.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

fartknocker posted:

:actually: The Die-wing was a TIE cockpit pod with Y-wing engines.

Beside the point but I'm happy that I now know where that smiley is from because holy poo poo that game looks hilariously pretentious.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I have no idea what it’s from, I just couldn’t remember the code for :spergin: at the time :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
YIIK, the game about an insufferable postgrad who is poo poo to everyone he meets, has severe self loathing and is also apparently the most important being in the universe.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What game is this?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xenomrph posted:

What game is this?

A shitshow of pretentious writing and some incredibly poor taste co-opting of a real woman's disappearance and death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4xkGmjO26U

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Madurai posted:

Evidently, since the Disney purchase, Alan Dean Foster hasn't been getting any royalties for the novelization : SFWA article

Not going to lie, I read that as the Grievous committee at first.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I mean, I'm fully on his side, but I had to laugh at "I don’t think Unca Walt would approve of how you are currently treating me." Yeah, I'm sure Walt Disney would be really upset that his company was screwing over the talent.

Foster wrote the TFA novelization too, didn't he? As well as a few non-novelization Star Wars books. I wonder if those aren't mentioned just because they're not as well known, or they're covered by a different type of contract.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean, I'm fully on his side, but I had to laugh at "I don’t think Unca Walt would approve of how you are currently treating me." Yeah, I'm sure Walt Disney would be really upset that his company was screwing over the talent.

Foster wrote the TFA novelization too, didn't he? As well as a few non-novelization Star Wars books. I wonder if those aren't mentioned just because they're not as well known, or they're covered by a different type of contract.
For the TFA novelization at least, it's likely under a different contract since it would have been signed after Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm. The dispute seems to be re: stuff Foster wrote before the acquisition.

One thing that puzzles me is why this is only just now coming to light - Disney acquired LFL in like 2012 and presumably hasn't been paying Foster ever since; have they been stonewalling him for 8 years and I guess now he's finally said "enough is enough" and is going public about it? If so, he's got a lot more patience than I do, I'd have gotten all angry about it way before now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xenomrph posted:

For the TFA novelization at least, it's likely under a different contract since it would have been signed after Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm. The dispute seems to be re: stuff Foster wrote before the acquisition.

One thing that puzzles me is why this is only just now coming to light - Disney acquired LFL in like 2012 and presumably hasn't been paying Foster ever since; have they been stonewalling him for 8 years and I guess now he's finally said "enough is enough" and is going public about it? If so, he's got a lot more patience than I do, I'd have gotten all angry about it way before now.

Or we could be in the middle of a pandemic that is putting a financial squeeze on everyone and he's struggling to keep up with awful American medical bills for his wife's cancer treatments and he's decided that he needs to supplement his income with something he might otherwise have let slide.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or we could be in the middle of a pandemic that is putting a financial squeeze on everyone and he's struggling to keep up with awful American medical bills for his wife's cancer treatments and he's decided that he needs to supplement his income with something he might otherwise have let slide.
yeah I thought of that after I made my post.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've always been really fascinated by Alan Dean Foster's career as the king of writing movie novelizations. My dad had a ton of paperback movie novelizations for whatever reason, so I actually read his novelization of Alien before seeing the movie. Same with a lot of his Star Trek episode adaptations, and his The Dig novelization. I know some of his original novels from the 70s got a good reception, I need to get around to reading those at some point.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not to double post, but with the latest Mandalorian episode, I thought it was funny that after the first episode drew so much from Aftermath, this one simultaneously referenced and contradicted the Aftermath books (with the mention of Chandrila as the New Republic's current capitol still).

Also I feel like Moff Gideon's evil plan is to make Dark Troopers straight out of Dark Forces.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Not to double post, but with the latest Mandalorian episode, I thought it was funny that after the first episode drew so much from Aftermath, this one simultaneously referenced and contradicted the Aftermath books (with the mention of Chandrila as the New Republic's current capitol still).

Also I feel like Moff Gideon's evil plan is to make Dark Troopers straight out of Dark Forces.

Wait, what is the Republic capitol supposed to be during this period? Wookieepedia says Nakadia but doesn't Mando take place after the Battle of Jakku (and thus beyond the Aftermath books)?

Also those droid-looking things with Gideon are literally called Dark Troopers in the descriptive audio version of the episode

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 21, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

Wait, what is the Republic capitol supposed to be during this period? Wookieepedia says Nakadia but doesn't Mando take place after the Battle of Jakku (and thus beyond the Aftermath books)?

Also those droid-looking things with Gideon are literally called Dark Troopers in the descriptive audio version of the episode

I think the answer is who knows? The Aftermath books say the plan is the move the capital regularly, so I have no idea where it’s supposed to be 5 years after the Battle of Endor.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Haha. Awesome. I love it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
So there's a non-zero chance Kyle Katarn shows up now, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TL posted:

So there's a non-zero chance Kyle Katarn shows up now, right?

Sorry he died in Rogue One!!!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry he died in Rogue One!!!
If they use him in the Mandalorian I will totally forgive Rogue One for changing up the Death Star plans stuff.

I'm kidding, Rogue One was awesome.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The last sequence in Rogue One had like fifteen people passing the disk around, thereby canonizing the long-standing Star Wars tradition of everyone having something to do with stealing the Death Star plans.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
At some point, they have to do a movie or show about the second Death Star plans and finally add Manny Bothans to the new canon.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Cross-Section posted:

There's a throwaway line made by a protocol droid/teacher that it's Chandrila.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TL posted:

At some point, they have to do a movie or show about the second Death Star plans and finally add Manny Bothans to the new canon.

God if we got a Dash Rendar show I might pee a little. He’s already canon again, he gets a mention in one of the books.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hazo posted:

The last sequence in Rogue One had like fifteen people passing the disk around, thereby canonizing the long-standing Star Wars tradition of everyone having something to do with stealing the Death Star plans.

I would love it if, after so deftly avoiding Legends problem with the Death Star Plans, Disney does the same thing with the Second Death Star Plans and everyone and their mother stole it before giving it to the Bothans.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

At the very least it couldn't be a worse take than the "many Bothans" dying being a few crewmembers on a single ship.

It's funny how deeply "Bothans" and "Death Star plans" are in people's minds, I remember when the plot of Rogue One was announced, so many people were wondering who the Bothans would be played by.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

At the very least it couldn't be a worse take than the "many Bothans" dying being a few crewmembers on a single ship.

I thought it was that it was a squadron of Bothan starfighter pilots working with Luke, Dash Rendar, etc. who got exploded by a super special diamond-tipped Imperial missile that they only used once and never again :v:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 22, 2020

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
If/when they do explore the Bothans, I hope that they lean into the old EU's depiction of them as a group of self-interested opportunists. I always enjoyed Borsk Fey'lya because of that-he wasn't evil, really, but everything he did was in his own self-interest.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Buncha Bojack Horsemans up in this rebel alliance

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

????

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Runt owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

tribbledirigible posted:

There's a throwaway line made by a protocol droid/teacher that it's Chandrila.

if i remember correctly. they move the capital every year or so too keep another old republic stagnation from happening.

Chairman Capone posted:

i suspect thats only part of it. its clear he is collecting Force sensitives blood and Baby yodas blood had some much M count that it would have made it enough. i sorta suspect its gonna have some first order or maybe palpatine ties because moff fring seems like he has bigger plans than dark trooper program since he is super ISB agent man.