Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me, if you've seen TTGL but not Diebuster, you should fix that because the prototype show is superior to the final one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szhyYu9reXA&t=45s

It's the best.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nono is going to come back someday, the writer said so...

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

the OP theme for Diebuster is really loving catchy

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

the OP theme for Diebuster is really loving catchy

Yeah Groovin Magic is real cool too.

Diebuster is great in general, I'd probably put it as my favorite giant robot anything.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tsuki posted:

I'd like to watch something with giant robots. I've seen Gunbuster, the first few episodes of Turn A, and some of Gundam Wing when it was on US TV.

I usually watch comedy/slice of life, shoujo, and Jojo.

Since I don't wanna recommend the same shows each time someone asks about a mecha thing, in addition to the Diebuster rec I'm gonna suggest...Shin Mazinger. If you watch it be sure to grab the blu-ray rips since the tv version cut a bunch of stuff, and there's enough new content in the blu-rays that it's definitely the way to go.

Sharkopath posted:

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me, if you've seen TTGL but not Diebuster, you should fix that because the prototype show is superior to the final one.

I'll drink to that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dUYAHOdcfw

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Diebuster is great and the ending made me cry.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Srice posted:

Since I don't wanna recommend the same shows each time someone asks about a mecha thing, in addition to the Diebuster rec I'm gonna suggest...Shin Mazinger. If you watch it be sure to grab the blu-ray rips since the tv version cut a bunch of stuff, and there's enough new content in the blu-rays that it's definitely the way to go.

I'll drink to that.

What about Gigantor

tsuki
Aug 30, 2005
Lipstick Apathy
I'll watch Diebuster to start. Thanks! :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone name me something to watch, I'll watch anything as long as I haven't already seen it.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Someone name me something to watch, I'll watch anything as long as I haven't already seen it.

k-on

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Done.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La7Drjku-Y8

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress that brings back memories.

Never try watching the original version the music is bad. :(

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'm watching Tokyo Ghoul this month. Thanks.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
The opening theme is really good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yui sleeps with her guitar, just like that time Hendrix probably did.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

did you know the k-on girls are named after members of legendary band p-model? the singer of which, susume hirasawa, you might know from his work on satoshi kon features such as paranoia agent and millenium actress. well now you do

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

What about Gigantor

People in this thread should give more really old anime a try imo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

GorfZaplen posted:

If you haven't yet, your assignment is to read Black Jack

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Watched Anohana episodes 3-6. I feel like this could make a good movie.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I just finished volume one. My favorite story so far was the one with the painter who got caught in a nuclear test.

e: Sabagebu is really fun so far, but it's already the sort of show I watch. I'm still going to finish it, but it wasn't really a challenge.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

GorfZaplen posted:

Old animation is a challenge to me. Too slow.

Smoking Crow posted:

I have read Black Jack though. Badass.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Osamu Tezuka was a pretty cool dude, and everyone should watch or read some chunk of his work at some point.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Watched Anohana episodes 3-6. I feel like this could make a good movie.

There is a followup movie. The show ended in a really silly way which is why I didn't like it much, but it starts off really neat.

I'm not sure what I would ask for, since I'll watch pretty much anything that's quality viewing and even so-bad-it's-good nonsense, but I don't want to ask for a bad show because, well, it's bad.

I guess recommend me some neat old pre-2000's classic, since I generally can't stand old-school art styles. I've already watched some well known 90's shows like Utena and Bebop.

And don't say LOGH. I get to it. Eventually. Maybe.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 8, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Space Adventure Cobra and Big O are both good anime with great style

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

my favorite black jack story is the one where it is revealed that only through divine intervention can other surgeons operate at the level of doctor black jack. actually its not my favorite but it was definitely a really amusing one.

my true favorites are the romance themed ones. probably has something to do with me being able to relate to the characters in those stories since I too love black jack.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ViggyNash posted:

There is a followup movie. The show ended in a really silly way which is why I didn't like it much, but it starts off really neat.

I'm not sure what I would ask for, since I'll watch pretty much anything that's quality viewing and even so-bad-it's-good nonsense, but I don't want to ask for a bad show because, well, it's bad.

I guess recommend me some neat old pre-2000's classic, since I generally can't stand old-school art styles. I've already watched some well known 90's shows like Utena and Bebop.

And don't say LOGH. I get to it. Eventually. Maybe.

Dirty Pair

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

outlaw star

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

outlaw star

Outlaw Star is so cool, go with this one. It's an incredibly artistic low key space story and it totally blew my mind when I watched it for the first time.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Allarion posted:

Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

This guy knows what's up. Watch the tv series, avoid the ovas.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Outlaw Star is so cool, go with this one. It's an incredibly artistic low key space story and it totally blew my mind when I watched it for the first time.
outlaw star is a lot of things but 'low key' isn't one of them. there's an episode where they fight a psychic cactus.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

So I finished episodes 4-6 of Toradora, which just kinda meandered. Taiga blew a chance with Yusaku previously in a totally expected way, then things took a detour to introduce Ami and go through an arc to make her sympathetic. I kinda question the necessity of a third love interest for Ryuuji, but whatever. They each have some quality to like I suppose, even if I'm not ready to welcome Ami yet. Also came across a Yatterman reference in the sub, which makes me worry about missing other stuff by watching the dub.
Minori is still the show's biggest highlight though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpMsrAP3RHo

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
so I'd like to use this month to watch some classic tatsunoko, where should I start?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I don't think I've watched a single sports anime unless you count Ping Pong or gambling stuff like Kaiji and Akagi.

Hit me. Preferably something less than a million episodes.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Try One Outs, it's got gambling AND sports.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't think I've watched a single sports anime unless you count Ping Pong or gambling stuff like Kaiji and Akagi.

chi
haya
furu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

ashita no joe is mandatory viewing (or reading)

• Locked thread