Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

where are you getting your numbers from? worldbank shows only 61% of japanese go to post-secondary with 90 female to 100 male ratio. that's 55% of women bro, if I'm reading that right

Ah, I get it. My bad.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

where are you getting your numbers from? worldbank shows only 61% of japanese go to post-secondary with 90 female to 100 male ratio. that's 55% of women bro, if I'm reading that right

I was looking at the spreadsheets on the Japanese educational ministry. Anyway it doesn't super matter whether it's 55 or 49 or whatever.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

that's cool I was just genuinely curious about the statistics because statistics is cool, but let's stop posting about math

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I thought her lamentations were more about the lack of progress the band made in her years there. She might have had high hopes of competing only to find that two years later, it's the same as it ever was.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Having a status quo is probably better than having your overall band deteriorate over the years as the people who gave a poo poo graduated leaving you behind with a bunch of people that are just there for an easy grade.

Yeah, I'm pretty bitter about concert band.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Neeksy posted:

I thought her lamentations were more about the lack of progress the band made in her years there. She might have had high hopes of competing only to find that two years later, it's the same as it ever was.

I could see that. It makes her vote into more of a "let's just acknowledge what's been going on all along" sort of affair. I like that interpretation of her much better.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I know that feeling. My junior and high school Years were spent in a smallish community, and my school only had like ~300 students. By the time i was in grade 11, the band across all 3 grades only had about 14-18 people who would show up regularly, and they were god awful compared to the summer camp cadet marching bands I was in for a few years. It was painful and I quit playing for a few years because of that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Adiós, amigos!

Has there been any mention of how many episodes this is going to run? The pace seems pretty relaxed for just a one cour show.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Adiós, amigos!

Has there been any mention of how many episodes this is going to run? The pace seems pretty relaxed for just a one cour show.

Looks like 12. That's all that's been scheduled.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well this show is depressing.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

I did not expect an anime to capture the highschool concert band experience so accurately.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Music teacher best character

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

pandaK posted:

Music teacher best character

Asuka is the best character. :colbert:

I'm still amazed at how impressively good this show is so far. Unlike BBB or Ore Monogatari, there's nothing spectacular about this show, but it's just so drat solid that there's pretty much nothing bad I can say about it except that maybe some people won't really care about it because it's not their thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

This is probably the most depressing thing KyoAni's done yet. I expected cute girls playing in concert band having fun, not a drama about concert band politics.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like that there's actually some drama and it's not just K-on with brass, like I was expecting.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

This is probably the most depressing thing KyoAni's done yet. I expected cute girls playing in concert band having fun, not a drama about concert band politics.

i haven't actually seen it, but i was under the impression kanon and clannad were the most melodramatic depressing type of anime imaginable

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Shukaro posted:

I did not expect an anime to capture the highschool concert band experience so accurately.

The casual band geek innuendo is hilariously accurate

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Davincie posted:

i haven't actually seen it, but i was under the impression kanon and clannad were the most melodramatic depressing type of anime imaginable

Yeah but they ended with magic powered by love and friendship solves everything so they end up hopeful and optimistic. Air's the only one that doesn't fit that formula where it still ends up being pretty bittersweet despite how magic improved things by a fair margin. I still like Kyoto's Key stuff though even if it does end up relying on Deus Ex Machina a lot.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Davincie posted:

I suppose you can make the case that those shows take things to such extremes of 'sad girls dying of plot cancer in the rain' that it isn't affecting any more. Meanwhile something as grounded as 'all your dreams are crumbling into dust because your classmates can't be bothered' hits much closer to home.

I feel like a pattern is emerging these days: anime adapted from novels (not light novels) are actually good. Well, Eccentric Family, Shinsekai Yori, and Tatami Galaxy fit the pattern anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, that was some spectacular cinematography. Shows adapted from novels are often good, but this series's strengths aren't just from the source material.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, that was some spectacular cinematography. Shows adapted from novels are often good, but this series's strengths aren't just from the source material.

Yeah that whole bit was a really well directed scene in a show full of good direction.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Is the director or someone involved with Hyouka running this? They have similar visual and directorial styles going on here.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Going by wikipedia, the staffs seem completely different.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Its KyoAni, anyone doing anything on one of their shows has probably worked on nearly all their other shows as long as they were working there at the time. In this case the series director of Euphonium didn't work on Hyouka at all, though.

But yeah, just look at any KyoAni staff member's credits lists and it becomes pretty clear why there are a lot of crossover traits among their key directors and animators:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=9087
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=39705
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=76915

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

aers posted:

Its KyoAni, anyone doing anything on one of their shows has probably worked on nearly all their other shows as long as they were working there at the time. In this case the series director of Euphonium didn't work on Hyouka at all, though.

But yeah, just look at any KyoAni staff member's credits lists and it becomes pretty clear why there are a lot of crossover traits among their key directors and animators:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=9087
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=39705
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=76915

The director for this one is the same one who's done Chuunibyou, Haruhi, Nichijou, Kanon and Clannad. Tatsuya Ishihara

Just for reference with this episode, the episode director also storyboarded it and has mostly done Key Animation for a bunch of KyoAni series.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good episode.

I honestly can't imagine a high school band of any size - or really any group of, say, 20+ teenagers - functioning without proper direction. That teacher is way too laissez-faire. "You're bad. Fix that within a week. Bye!" I guess it's the difference between a club and a class. Why are these lazy kids in band if they aren't getting a grade/PE credit for it, anyway?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Man, I didn't think my high school band was anything special, but this show makes me feel super grateful towards our band director for not letting us be anywhere near as poo poo as this club.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Their band desperately needs to either purge the bad members or realize that they're ok with being poo poo and just have fun.

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I honestly can't imagine a high school band of any size - or really any group of, say, 20+ teenagers - functioning without proper direction. That teacher is way too laissez-faire. "You're bad. Fix that within a week. Bye!" I guess it's the difference between a club and a class. Why are these lazy kids in band if they aren't getting a grade/PE credit for it, anyway?

Over here in Australia concert band is strictly co-curricular but you still get those people that just don't care/don't want to work, especially if the conductor isn't strict enough. The really lazy ones tend to drop out early, but a lot stay for the social aspect/peer or parent pressure. There are also a lot of cases where people do like music but are just a bit too lazy to put enough effort into it.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

"You're bad. Fix that within a week. Bye!"

This was my director except childish temper tantrums and screaming instead of "Bye"

it rapidly sped up the "stop giving a poo poo" process

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Maybe someone can answer this (maybe it's a cultural thing): do high school students (in Japan) who are relatively serious about music not buy their own instruments and practice at home? Pretty much my entire high school band had access to instruments to take home, if they didn't outright own their instrument. Just being somewhat serious about music, it makes sense to have an instrument to practice on. It could be a cultural thing though? Maybe?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Refried Hero posted:

Maybe someone can answer this (maybe it's a cultural thing): do high school students (in Japan) who are relatively serious about music not buy their own instruments and practice at home? Pretty much my entire high school band had access to instruments to take home, if they didn't outright own their instrument. Just being somewhat serious about music, it makes sense to have an instrument to practice on. It could be a cultural thing though? Maybe?

Well, we saw... what's-her-name main character euph girl take hers home, so apparently it's an option.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Refried Hero posted:

I imagine that it's a money thing? Not that we ever seem to see any poorer high schools in (this kind of / most) anime...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Refried Hero posted:

It's dependent on whether or not you can afford the instruments. Basically no one in my high school owned their instruments, they practiced at school if they wanted to

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

they're extremely pandering and hokey and the ending to both is terrible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Good episode.

I think it was intended as a reality check. They said they wanted to aim for nationals, and he drove home just how huge an attitude change this would require and then went 'still interested?'.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
I wonder if they're going to try and get back the 2nd years that quit previously?
Although they'd probably just see the horn section dicking around again instead of practising and storm off with a "See! Nothing's changed!" to be fair.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
*leers at the people who were in our highschool's horn section, who were never able to play them correctly till the bitter end*

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Shukaro posted:

*leers at the people who were in our highschool's horn section, who were never able to play them correctly till the bitter end*

not an emptyquote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The sexy band teacher is cool

• Locked thread