Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
For those of you with a hankering for more of Magerold's fine accent, you can find it proudly displayed by Stephen Merchant in Portal 2 or in his collaborations with Ricky Gervais.

Alternatively, I recommend the film Hot Fuzz, filmed deep in the heart of my home county Somerset in south-west England, just as Vicas said. In Britain, this accent stereotypically marks the speaker as being rather stupid and probably married to their aunt.

EDIT: This is what passes for culture down Zummerzet way

Robert Deadford fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
Though not nearly as bad as Lost Izalith, Lethal Lava Land here is really a lazily designed area in my opinion. Unless I'm forgetting something, which is entirely possible, I consider it the creative low point of the game.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

It's got the thing that is always bad in DS games: platforming in a type of game that is actively hostile to the idea of platforming.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Milt Thompson posted:

For those of you with a hankering for more of Magerold's fine accent, you can find it proudly displayed by Stephen Merchant in Portal 2 or in his collaborations with Ricky Gervais.

Alternatively, I recommend the film Hot Fuzz, filmed deep in the heart of my home county Somerset in south-west England, just as Vicas said. In Britain, this accent stereotypically marks the speaker as being rather stupid and probably married to their aunt.

EDIT: This is what passes for culture down Zummerzet way

Combine Harvester is the best novelty song our country has ever produced :colbert:

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
I think you'll find Champion Dung Spreader by the same band is another classic. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Wurzels.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hot fuzz is ligit great (and has some great accents) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ng3fG1u4Xg

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Hot Fuzz is worth it just for the shot of Timothy Dalton grinning while a picture of him with the exact same expression is on the wall behind him.

Good episode despite the tech issues. I fuckin' lost it when Geop Joseph Joestared the gently caress outta there vs the NPC invader. Also on the subsequent attempt, the NPC chunks Geop for all but maybe 5% hp and then guard breaks, yet decided to roll away instead of going for the coup de grace. Intense :suspense:

This zone isn't too bad, but it seems like SotFS doubled the number of knights. They are hilariously weak to crushing weapons and can be stunned easily, but they also move very quickly and typically open with a lunging attack, so they were pretty annoying as a powerstance caestus build since I often ended up trading hits.

Due to the increased density, it's easy to get rushed by 3-4 because you were paying attention to ranged enemies. They are great for grinding souls though since either a mace or rapier with counter hits will two shot them, or they're easy to farm with just dark orb spam.

Edit: Their sweet hanzo steel DOES get explained by the DLC and possibly has some hints in items we've seen already, and this spoke of the world is probably the most fleshed out lore-wise.

Cory in the Blouse fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 28, 2018

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Dousing yourself with water from those water urns is the main way of surviving walking on those hot rocks. It gives insane fire resistance, much more than flash sweat although that one does help a bit too.

The water doesn't quite give you the same firewalking ability as the ring in the first game but it deifinitely lets you survive and makes stuff like opening treasure chests while on fire actually possible.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
All the Alonne knight armor should explain what is going on in terms of equipment.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Laputanmachine posted:

Dousing yourself with water from those water urns is the main way of surviving walking on those hot rocks. It gives insane fire resistance, much more than flash sweat although that one does help a bit too.

The water doesn't quite give you the same firewalking ability as the ring in the first game but it deifinitely lets you survive and makes stuff like opening treasure chests while on fire actually possible.

Just stack everything (Flash Sweat+Water Urns+Fire Ring+Armor with high fire restistance). You end up with 800+ resist. Pop some life gems and you can take arelaxed walk to the goodies.

Urks. I hate lava levels in Souls. The SotFS dlc one is the best in comparison.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
this video has a very king crimson feel to it

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

OutofSight posted:

Just stack everything (Flash Sweat+Water Urns+Fire Ring+Armor with high fire restistance). You end up with 800+ resist. Pop some life gems and you can take arelaxed walk to the goodies.

Urks. I hate lava levels in Souls. The SotFS dlc one is the best in comparison.

iirc some of those override each other, iirc at least one of those erases the water buff. because of course it does. (similarly, some of the items that increase item drops override one another). No the game doesn't tell you this, why should it?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

double nine posted:

iirc some of those override each other, iirc at least one of those erases the water buff. because of course it does. (similarly, some of the items that increase item drops override one another). No the game doesn't tell you this, why should it?

I am pretty sure the biggest effect (pyro+urn) is cumulative. If it matters i always roll through the urns then apply the pyromancy.

Otherwise you couldn't reach the 800+ resistance with that gear (special boss armor aside). I did this with quality builds without access to flash sweat and no natural fire resist and the difference (300 less resistance) is very noticable.
Maybe the ring effect cancels out? But we would have to ask "Tallgeese" for some in-depth numbers.

RBA Starblade posted:

If I recall correctly elemental defense is up to 1000 points of defense, which equals 100% reduction, and scales linearly. So 892 defense is 89.2% damage reduction. Physical works differently I think but I forget how.

Yes, this is correct. With my setup you would end up with 80%+ fire resistance. "Talking a walk through the lava" was not meant as a funny figure of speech, you can just walk without your hp being in much danger.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 28, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If I recall correctly elemental defense is up to 1000 points of defense, which equals 100% reduction, and scales linearly. So 892 defense is 89.2% damage reduction. Physical works differently I think but I forget how.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Cory in the Blouse posted:

This zone isn't too bad, but it seems like SotFS doubled the number of knights. They are hilariously weak to crushing weapons and can be stunned easily, but they also move very quickly and typically open with a lunging attack, so they were pretty annoying as a powerstance caestus build since I often ended up trading hits.

There aren't vary many more knights than vanilla ds2, they just increased the aggro distance to a ridiculous degree.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Mostly true. First off, there's a secret +100 defense/+10% reduction to all elemental and status resistances, so 900 is the effective cap for those. Second, elemental resistances are limited to 99% reduction (or 890 sheet defense) so you can't be fully immune while status resistances can go to 100%.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh thanks, I got it mostly right but forgot it doesn't top off and that base amount.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Afriscipio posted:

There aren't vary many more knights than vanilla ds2, they just increased the aggro distance to a ridiculous degree.

I feel like there used to be more knights outside near the bridge, they might have just moved them around rather than added more... I feel like the aggro distance for them was always pretty large here.

I have fond memories of this bridge and maxing out all my (non-bellbro) pvp covenants, halberd move sets work even better on a narrow bridge, and the sloped surface makes it easier to guide spells into the ground.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Afriscipio posted:

"Hmmm, what's through this door? Oh, 500 great arrows in my noggins. Awesome."

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think they did something even more sinister: they put a bunch of aggro triggers all over the place so that you activate enemies as you go through the next room, with some of them obviously active from the start. Then they placed the freshly-activated enemies in such spots and gave them a predetermined routing that they will keep coming from behind you seemingly out of nowhere because the room is quite convoluted. All this while ranged enemies pelt you. It's quite evil and kind of admirable in a way, but I also loving hate it and really dislike the new Iron Keep.

In Vanilla, you used to have more enemies in the first room, yeah. And no single guy on the bridge iirc. Scholar doesn't really do enemy spam, it puts some new miniboss-style encounters in and does populate Heide, but usually it just moves dudes around instead of putting new ones all over.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

bbbbrace urselvssssss

footage w__ __st in some plac__.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

So this area is what I believe the only time in Scholar where they actually made changes to a map itself. Instead of being on top of that little structure next to the lockstone fountain, the Zweihander chest used to be on the end of that ledge and there used to be a gap you had to jump over. For some reason they decided to get rid of the gap and move the chest.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Wow, I didn't know there were **ANY** map changes. Like I thought the idea was just to shake up enemy placements.

That's really strange.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That almost seems like the question of "Why would there be a gap here?" bugged someone juuuuust enough to make the effort.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Oh god the ending, I cringed so much :cry:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Kibayasu posted:

That almost seems like the question of "Why would there be a gap here?" bugged someone juuuuust enough to make the effort.

It's possible, sure, but I'm sure there's plenty of "why is it like this argh we should fix this" things in the game that annoyed the designers. There always are. Scholar not changing geometry is pretty deliberate, although they do move chests around in a couple of different places. Possible reasons:
- It's a versioning fuckup. Someone accidentally used an old version of the level geometry when doing enemy placement for either the original release or for Scholar, and it wasn't worth the effort to reconcile, redo QA, etc.
- It's a deliberate change to enable the melee guys to ambush you better, since the ambush doesn't really work otherwise.
- There was some specific bug associated with the gap and this is a fix. Something like players rarely falling through the floor with an unrecoverable bloodstain.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hottamn, it's been a while since I last looked at the index. That's a lot of puns, geop. A LOT of puns.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Try jumping through time.

Did the original game have this much dodging from enemies? I know they kind of wiggle a little and like to hide and block but their dedication to avoiding arrows looks like it got massively boosted in sotfs.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mailer posted:

Try jumping through time.

Did the original game have this much dodging from enemies? I know they kind of wiggle a little and like to hide and block but their dedication to avoiding arrows looks like it got massively boosted in sotfs.

I think that was just them getting really confused about trying to path their way to Geop.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The hanzo steel Geop got this session is one of the most powerful pvp weapons in the game. When they were releasing the DLCs one at a time for it they put a special white one in you could get instantly on a new character and it turned the Bell covenant into some real stupid (but fun!) times for a while.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The dreaded iframe/agility discussion popped up again in the latest episode. Here's my chart to simplify this insane mechanic.

DS1/DS3 communicate to the player that some rolls are better than others through animation changes. DS2 goes for total obfuscation.

Thankfully Geop's in a very healthy place, but some starting classes can go the whole game with an utter garbage roll.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745614

e: not that it's not a useful thing and that you're not a good person for putting it together, but, from, seriously?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What loving lunatic puts 116 levels into agility?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What loving lunatic puts 116 levels into agility?

Agility is the derived stat, from Adaptability and Attunement. It starts at 80+.

It's a bad and opaque system, but Geop is at the nice 99 agility breakpoint and doesn't have to care anymore.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It's a bad and opaque system, but I like the ability to level up different aspects of my character sheet more distinctly than I can in the other games. Partially decoupling how good at rolling you are from your equipload is an interesting and possibly unwise decision, but there's some fun to be had from pumping the poo poo out of Adaptability so that you get uniformly quicker/better at doing all your non-weapon actions. Once I figured it out (i.e. read a bunch on a wiki), it was nice to have a solution to my Dark Souls 1 problem of shouting "Chug FASTER" at my screen.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hook? Where is the hook?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if someone brought it up yet, but you folks were wondering about the missing Fire Keeper and whether you ran into her - I am not sure if this is explicitly confirmed anywhere so it might be just speculation, but I think you did, in the intro. She's the woman who sent (then-)Goonther to Drangleic.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure if someone brought it up yet, but you folks were wondering about the missing Fire Keeper and whether you ran into her - I am not sure if this is explicitly confirmed anywhere so it might be just speculation, but I think you did, in the intro. She's the woman who sent (then-)Goonther to Drangleic.

I've heard a different theory, but it only becomes spoiler-free at the endgame, so I'll post it then. In general though DS2 is the most obfuscated in the entire series to me, I still have no idea what 3/4ths of the plot is supposed to be about so I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh poo poo I forgot about this lp, is this still the original dark souls 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

No, this is SotFS; i.e. Better Dark Souls 2

Iron Keep is a really stupid design that is nonetheless kind of fun.

Smelter Demon tends to kick peoples' asses. But, his move timing is distinctly connected to his noises, and once you figured it out, you could farm souls for hours on end, interrupted only by the occasional sucker who actually gets baited by his crouch-explosion.

• Locked thread