Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I didn't need necessarily hate it, but The Untouchables is really over-rated. Or at least, I remember it being so last time I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Detective No. 27 posted:

It takes 26 minutes before Toshiro Mifune shows up in The Hidden Fortress. Not saying the preceding time was bad, but he dominates as soon as he shows up.

Hidden Fortress annoyed me because it didn't commit to its gimmick. I thought it was supposed to be a samurai story told from the point of view of two unimportant peasants, but there were a bunch of scenes where they weren't even present.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Samovar posted:

I didn't need necessarily hate it, but The Untouchables is really over-rated. Or at least, I remember it being so last time I saw it.

It's alright. There are some really good scenes but it's still probably the worst De Palma I've seen.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Huh, I rank The Untouchables higher than, say Snake Eyes or 8mm. I will say he performances in The Untouchables are a little over the top though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Huh, I rank The Untouchables higher than, say Snake Eyes or 8mm. I will say he performances in The Untouchables are a little over the top though.

De Palma didn't make 8mm, that was Schumacher iirc

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Well poo poo, you're right. Still, I think there are worse De Palma movies than The Untouchables.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't seen any of his 60s stuff and very little of his 21st century output Maybe the real stinkers are in those eras.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I haven't seen any of his 60s stuff and very little of his 21st century output Maybe the real stinkers are in those eras.

His 60s stuff rules, though I've only seen Greetings and Hi, Mom! since they were posted here on the forums semi recently. But they rule.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
De Palma is never bad.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

got any sevens posted:

Now I'm curious what awesome movies have terrible first 30 minutes.

I very nearly turned eternal sunshine of the spotless mind off. Turns out it's a pretty good film.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Looper loving sucks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mandrel posted:

Looper loving sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuUqpZgHiEE

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

The first 30 minutes of every Taken movie are total rubbish.

The "story" in the first Raid movie is rubbish.

Basically the answer every time will be action movies, assuming you like the rest of it.

In the first twenty minutes of the Raid, you do get Uwais railing on a punching bag, the execution scene, lots of terrific shots of rainy Jakarta, and the beginning of the the film's titular Raid.

I do also get the other side of this argument, where the first twenty minutes may feel underwhelming without the payoff later on. However, think there is a tendency for every great movie to have at least one thing in the first ten, twenty minutes that makes you sit up and go 'holy poo poo.'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first chunk of 28 Weeks Later is pretty bad, at least in comparison to the rest of the film, and it's right around 30-40 minutes as I recall.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

The first chunk of 28 Weeks Later is pretty bad, at least in comparison to the rest of the film, and it's right around 30-40 minutes as I recall.

Really? I remember when I went to see it, I thought it was the first half or so that was stellar and the back half that was just alright.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The tone changes, not the quality, so I can see someone preferring the opening. It has been a really long time since I've watched it, despite really enjoying it at the time.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

precision posted:

It opens with the incredible sequence of Robert Carlyle escaping the infected and abandoning his wife so you're crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Really? I remember when I went to see it, I thought it was the first half or so that was stellar and the back half that was just alright.

Yeah, I normally don't pick on plot holes, but having the woman with a deadly, civilization-wrecking plague kept in an unlocked room with no guard was a bit too much to swallow.

• Locked thread