Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

gently caress we're in a lose/lose spot where everyone is rooting against us. If we're healthy and the players take it seriously we win but we've seen this story like a dozen times now and this feels more Houston '15 than Hawaii '07?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

What do you think of Lester so far?

Yeah it’s a nice change of pace from all the interchangeable NYD games in Florida against SEC opponents. Plus Cougs are way more fun than Cocks.

It's hard to evaluate the dude honestly. He got brought in so late in recruiting, his role was more "stop the bleeding" than recruiting. So right off the bat, he's more making due with Fleck's targets who also still want to play ball in Kzoo, rather than aim for some guys who fit his offensive scheme.

Then our QB-in-waiting leaves, strapping us with a guy who's taken effectively no snaps. Fun fact, it took until week 3 for him to lead the team in passing touchdowns. He was finally trending up and might have won us another game or two, but went down with a season ending injury right before our most brutal stretch, so then we start ANOTHER untested QB.

Finally, the Broncos have prided themselves on having a triple threat rushing attack the past couple years, but everyone but my fave got hurt and was inactive for like the past month. So teams know we can't effectively/consistently pass, and they know the rushing traits of our RB and that we're relying on him, so they stack the box.

So how do I rate Lester? gently caress, man, how the hell should I even know. I was intrigued when he kept it close against USC, dismayed at Sparty (who turned out to be decent, so that made it easier), and had my heart broke by CMU. I don't think it's his scheme or whatever that hosed things, I think it's just a lot of lovely factors happening basically simultaneously. I feel next year will be a truer gauge of what to expect, as QB play should be more consistent and he'll be able to target som recruits he actually wants

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl-schedule/

Here is a good list with payouts.

Citrus is the top paying non playoff pool bowl.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

gently caress we're in a lose/lose spot where everyone is rooting against us. If we're healthy and the players take it seriously we win but we've seen this story like a dozen times now and this feels more Houston '15 than Hawaii '07?

Hawaii ‘07 owned though because everybody was still getting used to the idea of “a good mid major team” and didn’t realize that 90 percent of the time they were paper tigers who crumpled against real competition. That led to everybody and Mark May picking Hawaii.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

The Glumslinger posted:

USC/Ohio State is gonna own, especially with everyone having time to heal up

Hope its an all time classic, and that Alabama gets shithoused worse than OSU last year.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I can’t decide who I want to win the Georgia vs. Oklahoma matchup. I hate both teams passionately.

I genuinely want either a nuke or a giant meteor to fall on the game.

I guess if I have to pick one, then my desire for Big 12 death would make me prefer a Georgia win. If nothing else, the Squidbillies episode after a Georgia national championship would be interesting.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
OTOH, TWO SEC teams losing in the playoff would make Finebaum must-see TV.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Hawaii ‘07 owned though because everybody was still getting used to the idea of “a good mid major team” and didn’t realize that 90 percent of the time they were paper tigers who crumpled against real competition. That led to everybody and Mark May picking Hawaii.

I don’t remember that many people picking them. That Hawaii team wasn’t very good and was just barely scraping by a really bad schedule in a way that mostly wasn’t true of the other mid major powers like the Boise, Utah, and TCU teams of that same period or UCF this year. Generally speaking the token mid major rep has done fine in these bowls, even if there are exceptions like that Hawaii team and NIU a few years ago that people like to harp on.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 4, 2017

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Armed Forces Bowl might be over in two hours with how much both teams run the ball

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Edward Mass posted:

OTOH, TWO SEC teams losing in the playoff would make Finebaum must-see TV.

So you want an Ohio State vs Oklahoma rematch?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

a neat cape posted:

The Armed Forces Bowl might be over in two hours with how much both teams run the ball

Plus low penalties.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So you want an Ohio State vs Oklahoma rematch?

Ohio State didn’t make the playoff :confused:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DEATH TO THE IMPOSTER WILD CAT

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

MourningView posted:

I don’t remember that many people picking them. That Hawaii team wasn’t very good and was just barely scraping by a really bad schedule in a way that mostly wasn’t true of the other mid major powers like the Boise, Utah, and TCU teams of that same period or UCF this year. Generally speaking the token mid major rep has done fine in these bowls, even if there are exceptions like that Hawaii team and NIU a few years ago that people like to harp on.

I remember people were still high off of the Utah victory from the year before and salivating at the thought of Hawaii's air raid offense going up against an SEC defense.

And then they took the field and realized the Georgia defenders were about three times bigger than Hawaii's offensive line.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jubs posted:

I remember people were still high off of the Utah victory from the year before and salivating at the thought of Hawaii's air raid offense going up against an SEC defense.

And then they took the field and realized the Georgia defenders were about three times bigger than Hawaii's offensive line.

Yeah and lovely people want to use it against mid majors when overall they do rather well most of the time

TheRico
Mar 1, 2007
UCF gonna beat Auburn y'all!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah and lovely people want to use it against mid majors when overall they do rather well most of the time

In BCS/NY6 games, mid-majors are 7-4

The four losses are Hawaii, NIU, WMU, and TCU...to Boise State.

Boise State has 3 wins, TCU 1, Utah 2, and Houston 1.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

8-4 with Blake Bortles and UCF over Baylor in the Fiesta in 2014.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

e - nm

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yeah like I said they do fairly well.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
And of the three losses where a Group of 5 was playing a Power 5 school, only Hawaii- Georgia really got out of hand. (And they hadn't played a defense with a pulse at any point that season.) I remember NIU-Florida State and Western Michigan-Wisconsin being for the most part decently competitive.

66% is more than respectable, especially when you consider the gulf in recruiting. There's probably something to the difference in motivation and all that, but the G5 schools certainly don't embarass themselves even when they lose. (Again, Hawaii aside.)

HypnoCabbage fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 11, 2017

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

HypnoCabbage posted:

8-4 with Blake Bortles and UCF over Baylor in the Fiesta in 2014.

Does that really count? The American was a BCS conference that year.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007

Korranus posted:

I had forgotten they still had their autobid that year, so I suppose not really. Sure feels like one in retrospect, though.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I was at Georgia Hawaii and it was a beautiful blood bath to watch in person

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Korranus posted:

Kinda but it was pretty clearly on the way out even then, they just had another year on the contract. It was mostly the old CUSA by that point. The only notable difference was that they had Louisville back then (and Rutgers, but losing them and adding Navy was probaby a net positive in terms of quality).

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

HypnoCabbage posted:

And of the three losses where a Group of 5 was playing a Power 5 school, only Hawaii- Georgia really got out of hand. (And they hadn't played a defense with a pulse at any point that season.) I remember NIU-Florida State and Western Michigan-Wisconsin being for the most part decently competitive.

66% is more than respectable, especially when you consider the gulf in recruiting. There's probably something to the difference in motivation and all that, but the G5 schools certainly don't embarass themselves even when they lose. (Again, Hawaii aside.)
NIU-FSU never felt that much in doubt but it was a fine game, as was WMU-Wisconsin. I don't think it's a matter of motivation, necessarily, as it is a matter of really good coaching.

It's very hard to go undefeated or finish with one loss! You're a pretty good football team if you can do that!

Also, yeah, forgot about Bort :rip:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Now I want to know what the Big East’s BCS record was after Miami and VT left.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Now I want to know what the Big East’s BCS record was after Miami and VT left.

WVU had some good teams in there but otherwise I think it was pretty rough. I’m still sad 04 Utah played a crappy Pitt auto bid team instead of someone with a pulse.

e: there was also a very weird orange bowl where Louisville beat Wake Forest lol

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 11, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Do coaches at new schools coach the new school in their bowl game? For instance, is Herm coaching ASU in the Sun Bowl?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

2007 Hawai'i was trash. We only remember the end result, but behold:

FCS team
Derek Dooley
2-10 team
FCS team
1-11 team
2-10 team
Team that almost dropped football
4-9 team
6-7 team
Behold! The lone good team! Who themselves had no good wins all year.
Tyrone Willingham

By galactical factors, the worst schedule and the worst team to ever make the BCS.

UCF is...much much better. I think Auburn should roll, though, but this is when we do the whole "Auburn never does what I think they'll do" routine

vikingstrike posted:

I was at Georgia Hawaii and it was a beautiful blood bath to watch in person

I hosted an all-day kegger and half the room was asleep by halftime. Dammit, that UGA team should've at least been in the Rose against USC, but no, gotta hold to tradition and put the Zooker in there, that's what America wants.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 11, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Do coaches at new schools coach the new school in their bowl game? For instance, is Herm coaching ASU in the Sun Bowl?

No. They need a lot more time to get their staff together and start recruiting.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mike_V posted:

It’s happened but it’s rare. Usually it’s an interim. I think graham is actually coaching the sun bowl which is super weird

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

D.N. Nation posted:

2007 Hawai'i was trash. We only remember the end result, but behold:

FCS team
Derek Dooley
2-10 team
FCS team
1-11 team
2-10 team
Team that almost dropped football
4-9 team
6-7 team
Behold! The lone good team! Who themselves had no good wins all year.
Tyrone Willingham

By galactical factors, the worst schedule and the worst team to ever make the BCS.

UCF is...much much better. I think Auburn should roll, though, but this is when we do the whole "Auburn never does what I think they'll do" routine

Yeah agreed. That Hawaii team was an obvious schedule fluke even at the time.

UCF is way better. The American now is a lot deeper than the WAC back then and they’re generally winning more convincingly outside of the the last two, both against legit good teams. I think they’d have a really good shot if Frost wasn’t leaving. Hard to say now though, you never know how that affects players

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
The way UCF reacted to Frost leaving is so strange to me. Like they're really happy for him that he moved on, wtf?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

the mean lunch lady posted:

The way UCF reacted to Frost leaving is so strange to me. Like they're really happy for him that he moved on, wtf?

At this point I think G5 fans have resigned themselves to good coaches leaving after two years.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

There are like two reasons why a fanbase is happy a good coach leaves a school: Going to the NFL, or going to their alma mater. Even then, I wouldn't characterize most fanbases reaction as happy as much as understanding and not straight up bitter.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

He handled it well and if you’re UCF can you really be mad? They had to know he wasn’t staying forever. He’s getting a big pay bump to take a P5 job in his home state at a school he played and won a national title* for. It’s pretty hard to blame him for that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not to mention he is coming back for the bowl game.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Pakled posted:

At this point I think G5 fans have resigned themselves to good coaches leaving after two years.

Yep, no chance to win a ring so at some point good coaches are going to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Pakled posted:

Solution is to do what SDSU did. Hire an old coach who had scandal in his past (Steve Fisher) or a coach so old he's not gonna leave (Rocky Long)

• Locked thread