Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Bellmaker posted:

Any chance of getting ~that part~ as a separate video?

I am going to upload it separately so I don't know people can link to it and stuff.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I guess there is nothing left to try out besides throwing money at bosses.

I've not been checking the damage for Coin Toss and I'm unaware of how much damage it does although with all the money I have where else could it go?

FeyerbrandX posted:

Good episode. Made me feel like some activities would improve my mood.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

That editing was LP master tier. God drat dude

Bellmaker posted:

This may be my favorite update of all time :swoon:

Thanks! I put a lot of effort into ~that part~ so it's nice that people like it!

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, I had a lot of fun playing this. Very few fights felt "cheap" *cough*Nemesis*cough* as opposed to requiring a different strategy. It still kinda has the problem of the game being extremely breakable thanks to materia, and magic still not being very good compared to normal attacks in the late game, but it's not nearly as bad as vanilla. Like my team for most of the game was Cid with maxed DEX, STR, and Luck with 4x cut and a Fury Band on for permanent berserk, Cloud and Barret on healing and status duty with Cloud occasionally casting a Break or something. There was hardly ever a reason to change from that setup with Cid smashing bad guys into paste for 20-40K per turn and the other 2 just making sure he didn't die for a few turns. Positive statuses are still horribly overpowered and negative statuses are still mostly worthless (except for Slow, which afaik every single enemy is susceptible to.) Summons are still pretty useless, too, excluding the master summon. All of the bonus stuff was really cool though. I kinda want to play again in the future in arrange mode and see what's different.

Do you mind spoilers for things you already covered? You were really close to getting the Amalgam fight, but you weren't quite right about what was going on.

I was focused on Cloud being magic so I didn't notice the curve for physical damage overpowering magic as quickly as I should have. In these final acts of New Threat, I now see how powerful physical attacks are. Now magic can keep up in some cases. But the thing about Quadcasting and W-Magic is that those spell animations take so long.

Spoilers for things already covered? Yeah go ahead! Of course!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DoubleCakes posted:

I was focused on Cloud being magic so I didn't notice the curve for physical damage overpowering magic as quickly as I should have. In these final acts of New Threat, I now see how powerful physical attacks are. Now magic can keep up in some cases. But the thing about Quadcasting and W-Magic is that those spell animations take so long.

Spoilers for things already covered? Yeah go ahead! Of course!

Yeah, Magic is a lot better than in vanilla, that's for sure. You got it right though, it's just so slow. You can do a steady 20k damage every turn with quad magic but someone with 4x cut and Masamune can do double that and in 1/4 the time. You can get W-Magic plus 4x cast and do some respectable damage but the 4x wears out quickly and you're going to wait until the heat death of the universe to actually cast a spell 8 times.

I guess what I'm saying is 4x cut is extremely broken and should probably be locked in the end game. Once I found a good AP grinding spot and got it to 4x, a lot of the challenge was gone. Especially when I realized how good berserk can be.

As far as Amalgam, you were really close to getting how it works. It seems to rotate between being immune to physical and magic based on what you hit it with last. If you punch it, it becomes immune to attacks until you hit it with magic, and vice versa. I don't remember if I figured out if non-damaging spells like status magic count, but I don't think they do. If you hit it with the type it's immune to, it absorbs it and gets bigger. I imagine that's why the other characters were added. They add some randomness to the fight to make it a little more difficult even if you do figure out the gimmick. They also add to the difficulty in another way: if it gets hit with the wrong attack too many times and it gets too big, it's a game over. So you're kind of on a timer to kill it before your allies kill you. I think you were actually pretty close to that at the end of the fight.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 80--
Episode 80: Somewhere Else III finishes off the Dark Cave with a rather troublesome boss and follows up with a few other interesting activities!

Also, I uploaded the Bustin' part as a separate video HERE!

suicidesteve posted:

As far as Amalgam, you were really close to getting how it works. It seems to rotate between being immune to physical and magic based on what you hit it with last. If you punch it, it becomes immune to attacks until you hit it with magic, and vice versa. I don't remember if I figured out if non-damaging spells like status magic count, but I don't think they do. If you hit it with the type it's immune to, it absorbs it and gets bigger. I imagine that's why the other characters were added. They add some randomness to the fight to make it a little more difficult even if you do figure out the gimmick. They also add to the difficulty in another way: if it gets hit with the wrong attack too many times and it gets too big, it's a game over. So you're kind of on a timer to kill it before your allies kill you. I think you were actually pretty close to that at the end of the fight.

A similar thing happened with that Cactuar fight in the Blue(?) Materia Cave where I beat it just as my time was running out and I had no idea. I thought it was shifting elemental weaknesses like a lot of Final Fantasy bosses like Spherimorph from FFX.

As for Berserk, I don't use it so much in this Let's Play and I regret that already now that I'm watching other people's videos of fighting New Threat bosses and how much damage Berserk'd heroes do.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Hard to believe the Omega fight was so hard the first time, only to see Shinryu do a martydom nuke that still does almost full damage to a maxed out party.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 81--
Episode 81: Viridian Terror begins the last stretch of Final Fantasy VII: New Threat. First off, we take on the very difficult Viridian Weapon fight which replaces Ruby Weapon. This episode has some framerate issues. It's a problem with recording. They're on and off for the rest of the Let's Play and although I tried to fix them, they pop up every once in awhile.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Hard to believe the Omega fight was so hard the first time, only to see Shinryu do a martydom nuke that still does almost full damage to a maxed out party.
I was surprised with how easy Shinryu X Omega was on revisit. Yes I'm way more powerful than I was back before retaking Midgar but it's still surprising. I have a feeling how easy this rematch was has to do with putting Stop on Omega.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was ready to skip this one since it was Ruby, but this version is enjoyable.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I PMed you about something spoilery-ish I didn't want to post here.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 82--
Episode 82: Carmine Nightmare features the fight against Carmine Weapon, New Threat's version of Emerald Weapon. This guy's tricky, but arguably easier than Viridian.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I was ready to skip this one since it was Ruby, but this version is enjoyable.

The New Threat versions of these two superbosses feel more challenging but at the same time less daunting. In the original Emerald Weapon had 1,000,000 HP but in this one it's quarter that, so it feels like an actual fight instead of rigging my party members so they do 1,000,000 damage with KOTR or spamming limits.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I bet Slash-All would have been useful. Maybe even Flash.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Is there ever a point where Vincent's limit breaks don't suck rear end?

I am also curious why Cid is suddenly doing like no damage at all, when he was melting people's faces a couple videos ago. I presume some combination of equipment and materia changes is the cause.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think his ultimate is nerfed to make up for the drain effect.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

KieranWalker posted:

I am also curious why Cid is suddenly doing like no damage at all, when he was melting people's faces a couple videos ago. I presume some combination of equipment and materia changes is the cause.
Only during certain arena fights with a ghost ship.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 83--
Episode 83: Pantheon Collapse picks up the pace where I fight three late-game bosses and we travel further down Victory Road. There's some frame rate issues, in fact I refought a certain boss because it was so bad, but most of the footage is acceptable.

We're almost done New Threat! Before this week's end we will be done this playthrough.

KieranWalker posted:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think his ultimate is nerfed to make up for the drain effect.

That's what I assumed, thing is Cid's nerfed Ultimate Weapon turns him from an uber physical fighter to a survivor/MP battery.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I watch all your videos at double speed, so slowdown isn't an issue.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 28, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

I watch all your videos are double speed, so slowdown isn't an issue.

I watch almost everything at 150% speed, only way to get so much content in a day.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

This is one of the few things I don't watch at 125%. I can't do that to the music in this game. Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are the other 2 games I can't watch at anything but 100%.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 84--
Episode 84: The Ultraboss features our final fight against Nemesis, the imported boss from Final Fantasy X. It has all the best moves. It has incredible stats. Can I finish off this fiend and complete New Threat?

E͞҉̡pisode 8̝͙̭4̲̤̤̜̻8͓̱͍̱͕5ͅ-------̸̡̰̰͖͔͓-̴̶͍̠̘͚͉̕-̵͖̦͎̥̪̤ͅ-̘̪̞-̷̪͚̟̭͚̯̫̬ͅ
Episode 8̝͙̭4̲̤̤̜̻8͓̱͍̱͕5ͅ:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
When most bosses bust your balls, none stand out as anything special.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DoubleCakes posted:

--Episode 84--
Episode 84: The Ultraboss features our final fight against Nemesis, the imported boss from Final Fantasy X. It has all the best moves. It has incredible stats. Can I finish off this fiend and complete New Threat?

Fun fact: Nemesis can be turned into a frog. It barely matters but it does do occasional physical attacks that don't absolutely murder you anymore.

Funner fact: Nemesis is the only fight in the whole mod where I used a ribbon. Not being able to haste your team was too high of a price for me. In the ten or so times I fought it, it was like 90% to use Ultra Spark on turn 0 which is an instant wipe if you're not protected.

DoubleCakes posted:

E͞҉̡pisode 8̝͙̭4̲̤̤̜̻8͓̱͍̱͕5ͅ-------̸̡̰̰͖͔͓-̴̶͍̠̘͚͉̕-̵͖̦͎̥̪̤ͅ-̘̪̞-̷̪͚̟̭͚̯̫̬ͅ
Episode 8̝͙̭4̲̤̤̜̻8͓̱͍̱͕5ͅ:

Also fun fact: Ozma is the only boss in this whole mod that I really had to cheese to beat, even after looking up how to fight it. I protected against its statuses and death and it's still pretty much impossible to live if it decides to use Meteor twice in a row. Like, your only way to win is if the character that lives has Life 2 + all. And even then you're back to having 1 person alive and hoping they have Life all and its next counter isn't too bad. I don't think we saw Doomsday in any of your fights, did we? That's another move that you're probably just not going to survive. I couldn't figure out how to protect against it and it REALLY hurts. It was a really cool idea for a fight but I just didn't think it was particularly fun because of how random it was. I ended up doing exactly what you did. Great Gospel, blitz it with damage while its counterattacks don't work. It has mercifully low life.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Scalding Coffee posted:

When most bosses bust your balls, none stand out as anything special.

This is true. Once I hit my stride and got a system down, the rest of the pantheon fell.

suicidesteve posted:

Fun fact: Nemesis can be turned into a frog. It barely matters but it does do occasional physical attacks that don't absolutely murder you anymore.

Kind of regret not doing that then. Oh well :goleft:

Also, I will make one final epilogue video and then I've finished this Let's Play!

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Do Hero Medal and do anything?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

Do Hero Medal and do anything?

Checking into that currently. It might unlock a special final boss, in which that case I'm not done just yet!

Also everyone: If you have been watching this Let's Play and have some thoughts, don't be shy about telling me. I want to know what everyone thought of this Let's Play.

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012
It's interesting to see the differences between versions 1.5 and 1.4 of New Threat and also the play styles between you and the person I watched for version 1.4 .

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

I like the extra mile you put in with the editing.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DoubleCakes posted:

Checking into that currently. It might unlock a special final boss, in which that case I'm not done just yet!

I don't know if this is true (I kinda hope it is because I'd like a reason to boot the game back up. If it is, you should use the " " item you got from Ozma on it. For comedic value.

DoubleCakes posted:

Also everyone: If you have been watching this Let's Play and have some thoughts, don't be shy about telling me. I want to know what everyone thought of this Let's Play.

As far as the LP goes, I loved the editing and your willingness to experiment (if you've read any of my posts, you know my strategy was haste, slow, wall, regen, berserk, heal as necessary. It was nice to see how other things worked out.) I think treating it as a display of what's new/different and assuming we've already played the game was a good ides. I can't imagine many people will have this as their first FF7 experience. The "this item was X, this monster did Y in vanilla" popups were a cool way of comparing the games. Your knowledge of vanilla FF7 translated pretty well to the mod but without making it too easy/boring. I also really liked that you showed the failed fights and your thought process when making changes and trying them again.

I only had a few complaints, and they were all so minor that I didn't care enough to comment at the time. As far as things that aren't game specific, the Cloud voice was pretty annoying as someone else said, and the frame rate issues in later videos were slightly annoying. For game specific things, you never really showed how absurdly good Haste is (it's SO good and it doesn't wear off,) and imo you relied on resist/ribbons too much. I think my biggest complaint is that you made a lot of characters kind of middle of the line, ok at everything without being good at anything, and it led to some drawn out fights because your damage output was so low. It's hard to blame you when that's exactly what everyone does in vanilla, though. To your credit, you did start showing off other builds towards the end. Tank Barret and face-smashing Tifa were a nice change of pace. It makes me wonder if the game would be doable with unusual builds of each character. It'd be funny to see Aeristh hitting with an umbrella for 40k, if nothing else.

Anyway, don't let my minor nitpicks make you think I didn't like it. Overall it was good.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

SilverFire posted:

It's interesting to see the differences between versions 1.5 and 1.4 of New Threat and also the play styles between you and the person I watched for version 1.4 .
Playing this mod and learning about how v1.4 handled things was pretty cool and I mentioned it as much as I can. All I had was hearsay, no personal experience. But hopefully people knowledgeable with 1.4 could compare my experience.

suicidesteve posted:

I don't know if this is true (I kinda hope it is because I'd like a reason to boot the game back up. If it is, you should use the " " item you got from Ozma on it. For comedic value.
I'm not sure yet but I've been testing the ???? " " item. If it does something it'll be in the epilogue video.

suicidesteve posted:

As far as the LP goes, I loved the editing and your willingness to experiment (if you've read any of my posts, you know my strategy was haste, slow, wall, regen, berserk, heal as necessary. It was nice to see how other things worked out.) I think treating it as a display of what's new/different and assuming we've already played the game was a good ides. I can't imagine many people will have this as their first FF7 experience. The "this item was X, this monster did Y in vanilla" popups were a cool way of comparing the games. Your knowledge of vanilla FF7 translated pretty well to the mod but without making it too easy/boring. I also really liked that you showed the failed fights and your thought process when making changes and trying them again.
That's something that I eventually brought into the LP. Early in the LP I would skip over any failed attempts at a boss and only show the victorious round of a fight. But the "story" of the LP includes my failures and struggling and revising my strategies so that I eventually overcome obstacles so I started including them.

suicidesteve posted:

I only had a few complaints, and they were all so minor that I didn't care enough to comment at the time. As far as things that aren't game specific, the Cloud voice was pretty annoying as someone else said, and the frame rate issues in later videos were slightly annoying. For game specific things, you never really showed how absurdly good Haste is (it's SO good and it doesn't wear off,) and imo you relied on resist/ribbons too much.
I was using Haste quite a bit. In fact it was only up until I started using Wall+Resist that I didn't use Haste all the time.

suicidesteve posted:

I think my biggest complaint is that you made a lot of characters kind of middle of the line, ok at everything without being good at anything, and it led to some drawn out fights because your damage output was so low. It's hard to blame you when that's exactly what everyone does in vanilla, though.
I recognize that's a problem. I wanted some hybrid characters to diversify my roster but unfortunately that kind of character doesn't perform well in NT. I mean that's true in 99% of games; the jack-of-all-trades isn't useful compared to more specialized hero. I'm at least proud that I made Cait Sith into a very strange build and he ended up being very useful.

suicidesteve posted:

To your credit, you did start showing off other builds towards the end. Tank Barret and face-smashing Tifa were a nice change of pace. It makes me wonder if the game would be doable with unusual builds of each character. It'd be funny to see Aeristh hitting with an umbrella for 40k, if nothing else.
I was thinking of that, but those kinds of strange builds are best left to people who are really familiar with NT. This was my first playthrough. I can imagine how hard it is to do something weird like that especially since NT is still being updated.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--EPILOGUE--
Episode 86: EPILOGUE finishes off this Let's Play. Can you believe I clocked this thing just under a year? I go through my thoughts on this hack, Final Fantasy VII, and this Let's Play. I get into some life stuff and talk a bit about how I would do Let's Plays in the future. I provide commentary on many different episodes of my LP; quick commentary, mind. At the end I announce the game I'm Let's Playing next (I'm not 100% certain on that one, to be honest).

Again, thanks for watching! It's been a great time.

FIN

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Congratulations on finishing the LP! I'm glad to hear that you learned so much from it both technically and personally. I don't think that there were any of your jokes that fell flat for me, at least not in any way that stopped me from enjoying the videos....hell, I'll even go on record as saying that I liked the Cloud voice.

The busting bit was worth all the work you put into it, if it wasn't perfect I couldn't tell.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

This was a pretty solid experience all around.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I can definitely agree when you mention a joke is forgivable if its fast.

That's probably why I dislike Family Guy, where either jokes go on too long or they beat it to death

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

RudeCat posted:

Congratulations on finishing the LP! I'm glad to hear that you learned so much from it both technically and personally. I don't think that there were any of your jokes that fell flat for me, at least not in any way that stopped me from enjoying the videos....hell, I'll even go on record as saying that I liked the Cloud voice.

The busting bit was worth all the work you put into it, if it wasn't perfect I couldn't tell.

This was a pretty solid experience all around.

Thanks! I think I have a pretty good sense of humour so even if there are aspects of certains gags that are annoying, there's a competence to them. I like the Cloud voice because the other half of that joke is the weird headcanon I developed around Cloud character like the kind of music he listens to and his weed intake, which peaked at the beginning of Episode 45.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Yeah I can definitely agree when you mention a joke is forgivable if its fast.

That's probably why I dislike Family Guy, where either jokes go on too long or they beat it to death

If you ask me, Family Guy is what you want to avoid if you want to be actually funny. Thing about those epic long family guy gags is that they're not that funny in the first place. With a lot of my gags they can be annoying but even that Pokerap joke was only ten seconds or so. Or the little singing I did later in that episode was only one bar. Bustin on the other hand is four minutes but I was super confident in that one.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DoubleCakes posted:

I recognize that's a problem. I wanted some hybrid characters to diversify my roster but unfortunately that kind of character doesn't perform well in NT. I mean that's true in 99% of games; the jack-of-all-trades isn't useful compared to more specialized hero. I'm at least proud that I made Cait Sith into a very strange build and he ended up being very useful.

Cait Sith as an evasive tank with cover was pretty cool. I kinda stole the idea for Barret. That was one of my favorite things about this mod; you can come up with some pretty unique setups that you can't make in vanilla.

DoubleCakes posted:

I was thinking of that, but those kinds of strange builds are best left to people who are really familiar with NT. This was my first playthrough. I can imagine how hard it is to do something weird like that especially since NT is still being updated.

I might try it some time in the future when I feel like playing through this again. Maybe if/when the next version comes out. I'll probably have 2 or 3 goofy characters so I don't completely screw the game if it ends up being a massive failure like I expect it to.

RudeCat posted:

:yeah:

There's very little I've seen that has made me stare dumbfounded for 4 minutes. This was one of those things. Even with the warning from the thread that something was up, it really got me. It was absolutely fantastic.

A lot of the other bits that you brought up in the video were great too. The weapon rap definitely got a big LOL out of me. The Ozma video was a really nice idea even if we did have to miss out on Kuja's music that the creator somehow added into the fight. It was worth it for the atmosphere though imo.

As far as the blank item, I think it puts a boss into a permanent stun a la The Turks, and also inflicts a life drain status. Basically a free win button for one boss.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

also I just want you to know that I have the Bustin video bookmarked now and that the cloud voice was funny. that's all

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

suicidesteve posted:

Cait Sith as an evasive tank with cover was pretty cool. I kinda stole the idea for Barret. That was one of my favorite things about this mod; you can come up with some pretty unique setups that you can't make in vanilla.

I might try it some time in the future when I feel like playing through this again. Maybe if/when the next version comes out. I'll probably have 2 or 3 goofy characters so I don't completely screw the game if it ends up being a massive failure like I expect it to.
I think that's the saving grace of my playthrough is that in the end Barret and Tifa were competent enough to plow through the final battles.

suicidesteve posted:

:yeah:

There's very little I've seen that has made me stare dumbfounded for 4 minutes. This was one of those things. Even with the warning from the thread that something was up, it really got me. It was absolutely fantastic.
That's the effect I was going for and again I didn't want to foreshadow or lead into it in any way. It just had to appear.

suicidesteve posted:

A lot of the other bits that you brought up in the video were great too. The weapon rap definitely got a big LOL out of me. The Ozma video was a really nice idea even if we did have to miss out on Kuja's music that the creator somehow added into the fight. It was worth it for the atmosphere though imo.
Okay, that's good. I wasn't sure if the effect of the Ozma video would land because not everyone is familiar with creepypasta and that kind of meta might be lost on everyone. I think I segued into it too subtly with my paranoid ramblings at the end of Episode 84.

suicidesteve posted:

As far as the blank item, I think it puts a boss into a permanent stun a la The Turks, and also inflicts a life drain status. Basically a free win button for one boss.
Okay, that makes sense. I'll update the episode description on YouTube to explain that.

also I just want you to know that I have the Bustin video bookmarked now and that the cloud voice was funny. that's all
:)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Thanks again for this LP; I was able to get to replay one of my favorite RPGs with a semi-fresh look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Thanks again for this LP; I was able to get to replay one of my favorite RPGs with a semi-fresh look.

Thanks! I'm not super familiar with FF7 like I am with FF6 games so the later half of FF7 still has that mysterious fog to it where it could throw somethings at me and I wouldn't know if it was vanilla or not, but I know enough that New Threat is very special and helps out FF7 in big ways.