Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Am I paranoid? I will check the water dish Hornet was in (still is in) for any specks. Checked over my white ball, and albinos, no signs of specks, but I know you don't always see them.

Sometimes mites can ride in on substrate, but it sounds like you may just be paranoid in this case.

Hornet was probably soaking due to being in shed, and your albino group is probably restless because we're at the start of breeding season.

Mine are all revving up right now. The boys want to visit the girls, and the girls want to eat rats 'til they burst, so they're all cruising way more often. My males sometimes lose interest in food when they're on the prowl.

I'd keep checking them periodically for mites just in case. Easiest to see them on the face, and in the foldy skin under their chin/jaw. But yeah, I think you're hopefully just being paranoid this time. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is it dangerous/bad/unhealthy for a beardie bruminating in their hideycave to move/handle/rouse them to clean the enclosure/ensure they aren't fukkin dead?

Should I leave sleeping dragons lie?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is it dangerous/bad/unhealthy for a beardie bruminating in their hideycave to move/handle/rouse them to clean the enclosure/ensure they aren't fukkin dead?

Should I leave sleeping dragons lie?
From what I've been reading about that in anticipation of maybe getting my own, there's no real problem with doing so. Brumination is basically a low-light "power saving mode" that beardies will go into around the winter. They can be roused out of it either by you or even just on their own because the environment changes ("wow, this is super warm out there, I must look!" is an example I saw) and it won't hurt them any. They may appear slugging and disinterested for a while, but that's just post-wakeup grogginess. They'll either go back to sleep soon enough or decide that they feel like sticking around for a bit longer.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I have a female white's tree frog and her vocal sac is very distended in a worrying way. She doesn't seem to be sluggish or particularly sick. A little light on appetite the last few weeks but will still eat. She is not vocal at all, I've only heard her squeak a few times over the past couple years, usually from being in the direct path of the mister. This has inflated up over just the last couple days as best I can tell. I handle her as little as possible, but I did pick her up to get a feel, doesn't seem swollen or fluid filled.

Any thoughts?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i was shitposting herp stuff in USpol and was told i should poo poo post here.

https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1332099814515990529

here is my new crested. he is under a year and mostly eats crickets and some powdered food.

here are some of my frogs.

https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1286068238829453312

https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1269428934954962944

https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1262631538111451136

two leopards. they tried having babies when i thought they were both girls. never hatched but it ok.

https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1223393758085099520

and here is goldie the skink. have had her for about 2 years now.

https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1265426502398685184

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Quite an assortment of very smug looking creatures there, Dapper Swindler

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Beautifully smug, as intended

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

MillennialVulcan posted:

I have a female white's tree frog and her vocal sac is very distended in a worrying way. She doesn't seem to be sluggish or particularly sick. A little light on appetite the last few weeks but will still eat. She is not vocal at all, I've only heard her squeak a few times over the past couple years, usually from being in the direct path of the mister. This has inflated up over just the last couple days as best I can tell. I handle her as little as possible, but I did pick her up to get a feel, doesn't seem swollen or fluid filled.

Any thoughts?

Can we get an update on froggy? Sorry for the lack of useful advice. I don't know much about frogs other than they're real cute :(

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

snake and bake posted:

Can we get an update on froggy? Sorry for the lack of useful advice. I don't know much about frogs other than they're real cute :(

She made it through and is back to normal! I ended up cleaning out her tank a bit, boiling a few of the decorations to hopefully kill any bacteria. Let her soak in purified water for a few hours each day over the weekend at recommendation of a herpetoligist I was introduced to.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

snake and bake posted:

snake and bake posted:

thanks. they are pretty healthy i think. where can i get like a GIANT terrium for tree frogs? i have a pretty big one and they are all eating good but id love to get a super sized tall/broud one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Really huge ones are generally custom built. I've been places that had some (like East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley, CA) but theirs were custom built for the shop to resell.

e. I guess it depends on where you live and how big you consider to be "really big"? If you can find a local glass place, you basically just need glass cut to size, a bunch of silicone, and depending on how big, possibly frames to hold the glass. You could also do polycarbonate or some other nonglass option, although that tends to be more expensive than glass at really big sizes, and the scratch/fogging problems that come with it, so I've only ever seen glass.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thanks. they are pretty healthy i think. where can i get like a GIANT terrium for tree frogs? i have a pretty big one and they are all eating good but id love to get a super sized tall/broud one.

Watch stuff like SerpaDesigns or Clint for some diy ideas. But yeah, most people will buy very big enclosures at specialty stores, online and via forums, or at expos.

Lots of sales happen through expos, either because you buy one of the floor models/inventory brought to sell direct or because you commission a cage from the person you met at the expo and then they send it to you.

You can also talk to and look at custom/large fish tank builders, their products are often easily adaptable/usable or they’re happy to make terraria instead of aquaria.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 2, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

Watch stuff like SerpaDesigns or Clint for some diy ideas. But yeah, most people will buy very big enclosures at specialty stores, online and via forums, or at expos.

Lots of sales happen through expos, either because you buy one of the floor models/inventory brought to sell direct or because you commission a cage from the person you met at the expo and then they send it to you.

You can also talk to and look at custom/large fish tank builders, their products are often easily adaptable/usable or they’re happy to make terraria instead of aquaria.

i have seen a few at a localish pet shop(the place where i got my skink.) i am thinking a super big exoterra will do.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 2, 2020

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I've had really good luck with Craigslist for big used enclosures at bargain bin prices. Granted, right now is not the time to do that and even when it's not pandemic times you need to really clean em to make sure it's safe for the critters.

Well worth the effort imo, it's just risky right now like everything else.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

MillennialVulcan posted:

She made it through and is back to normal! I ended up cleaning out her tank a bit, boiling a few of the decorations to hopefully kill any bacteria. Let her soak in purified water for a few hours each day over the weekend at recommendation of a herpetoligist I was introduced to.

Awesome! Really glad to hear that. I love white's, though I think it's more fun to call them dumpy frogs because they are so adorably dumpy :3:

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I got some money, and I want to get a better enclosure for my snake. He doesn’t like his current home, a glass cage, and I don’t either. Any suggestions on good snake enclosures? I’m about to pull the trigger on Dragon Haus FB-70 rack https://thedragonhaus.com/products/dragonhaus-fb70-rack?variant=37488997728439 because I need more snakes in my life because I’m a weirdo. It’s expensive, but about the best I’ve found. I tried doing a sterilite tub, but I found it too difficult to control humidity and temps.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The hoggy is a butt who has decided after weeks of eating pinkies he's now scared of them and just bluff strikes.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My hog hasn't eaten in weeks because she'd rather go hisspuff at her food instead. My understanding is that they go into a brumation phase for awhile in the winter, and yours may be doing the same. Just keep an eye on weight; mine has been fairly inactive so she hasn't lost much at all.

Looking at the calendar, my girl hasn't eaten since early November, and that's normal. She may not want to eat again for another couple of months. I attempt feeding periodically because I'm still learning about her individual needs, but she just puffs up and gets mad when I intrude.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 15, 2021

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Luminous Cow posted:

I got some money, and I want to get a better enclosure for my snake. He doesn’t like his current home, a glass cage, and I don’t either. Any suggestions on good snake enclosures? I’m about to pull the trigger on Dragon Haus FB-70 rack https://thedragonhaus.com/products/dragonhaus-fb70-rack?variant=37488997728439 because I need more snakes in my life because I’m a weirdo. It’s expensive, but about the best I’ve found. I tried doing a sterilite tub, but I found it too difficult to control humidity and temps.

What kind of snake is it? Do you plan on getting the same species or similar species for the other bins?

I like racks OK for babies, but prefer PVC cages for adults. It's more fun to just peer in and see if a rat was uneaten or if a snake shed than it is to pull open a drawer and have a hungry snake launch itself out of there. But yeah, racks are fine. I would just make sure whatever you want to keep in there has similar husbandry requirements to the snake you already have.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 15, 2021

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
okay, I'm kind of at a loss.

I got a corn snake from the local classified site, along with a 30 gallon tank, a hide, and an UTH. I've owned a corn snake before, so I thought I knew what I was doing. This snake is approximately 3 years old, if I recall correctly. He's shed 3 times since I've had him.

I replaced the UTH (which was very weak) with a proper heat lamp, on a 12-hour timer, added a second hide in the cooler end of the tank, and generally attempted to upgrade his living space.

Cupcake is a very good eater, taking F/T mice readily. And is also very, very aggressive. He's bitten me once already quite deep, when I was attempting to let him get to know my scent. And he's struck at the glass as I've walked by. He also gets very jumpy when I try to clean the tank, going into the striking pose whenever I try.

I suspect the previous owners hand fed him, and he associates hands with food. I've been feeding him with tongs, though. I thought maybe he was just hungry, and I'd misjudged the size of mice he'd need, so I've been feeding him two mice instead.

I'm honestly very nervous at this point about dealing with him. I'm willing to spend some money to give him a larger tank, change out the bedding from aspen to something more suitable, and generally improve his living space more, in an attempt to mellow him out. But at the end of the day, I'm wondering if rehoming him would be best.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Can you post a picture?

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Sure. Here's a fairly recent pic, before I put in the larger water dish:

This is the day I got him:

He didn't have any substrate in his tank when the previous owner brought him to me, so I put in just some basic aspen bedding.

Here's from about 5 minutes ago. He just shed last night. :)

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Beautiful snake! It's fairly common where I'm at for people to sell/ rehome the less amenable rat snakes as corn snake morphs. Friend got an Eastern rat like that, and was confused as to why it was so ornery.

I'll let some of the more experienced people way in but when I was younger I had a cornsnake that just wouldn't calm down. Keep working with it and hopefully it'll come around.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

What a big, beefy, beautiful corn :3:

Snakes strike for two reasons. It's important to make a distinction between "feeding response" and "defensive" behaviors.

It's possible that a snake will do both, and it sounds like yours might be. You can usually tell the difference based on the situation and their body language.

"Feeding response" strikes are enthusiastic and opportunistic strikes, usually triggered by motion with corns (or heat with some species, like ball pythons). Some snakes are just super eager feeders with a philosophy of "bite it first, find out if it's food second." It might be a quirk of their personality. It could be that they weren't handled often enough, and immediately associate human interaction with food time. They may have a history of malnourishment, or they may not be satisfied with their current diet.

Two ways to address this type of behavior:

1. Make sure they are being fed often enough, and given large enough prey. Sometimes appetite varies by season. I'm not a corn expert but I suspect that male corns, like male ball pythons, may cycle through phases where they (a) want to eat less, because they want to be lean and mean and ready to breed, or (b) want to eat more, to bulk up before the next winter/breeding season comes. Pay attention to his behavior for clues: is he very active, possibly "hunting" for food? Flicking his tongue a lot? Does he closely track your movements, not nervously, but alert and ready to bite?

2. You can try to break the association he may have between human contact and feeding. Put something that smells like you in the enclosure, like a piece of clothing or an old pillow case. Interact with him more often outside of feeding time. If he's too fiesty to handle, you can start by stroking him gently with a snake hook (or something else handy that won't hurt him to bite at, like a paper towel roll tube), to get him used to being touched. Give him something else to associate with feeding time - some people "tap train" their snakes by lightly knocking on the enclosure twice with the hook or tongs before every feeding. They'll come to learn that tap-tap = food.

Defensive striking is a bit different. You'll usually see signs of stress from the snake, such as puffing, heavy breathing, and defensive positioning where they bunch up and hold their head reared back for a strike. The snake is simply scared. It sounds like yours is getting defensive when you clean the tank, and maybe when you walk by it.

I'd advise offering him more security. Give him something to hide in, even something as simple as a cereal box, or clutter up his enclosure with more stuff (fake plants or wadded newspaper, whatever you have on hand as long as he won't get tangled in it). Paper over the walls, or drape a towel over half of the enclosure. Help him feel less exposed. When I had corns, they seemed to really enjoy a hide made out of a terracotta pot. I'd knock a bigger hole in the bottom and sand the edges smooth, then put it in the enclosure upside down.

Beyond offering him more of a feeling of safety, defensive behavior can only be eased with patience and familiarity. Don't inadvertantly reward defensive behavior by immediately backing off every time he acts out.

Corn snakes are usually pretty chill scalebros, so I think you have a good chance of getting him to calm down, if you decide to keep him :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is pine bedding still considered good practice? I honestly don’t know, I’m legit asking

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is pine bedding still considered good practice? I honestly don’t know, I’m legit asking

Pine and cedar beddings contain natural oils that are irritating or potentially toxic to many reptiles. Some people argue that kiln-dried pine shavings are safe, and maybe they are, but I prefer not to risk it.

Aspen (dry bedding for low humidity) or cypress (damp bedding for high humidity) are good choices. Other safe options: Carefresh (cellulose), Reptibark (fir bark), and various styles of coconut substrates like Reptichip/Ecoearth.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Cupcake has a large cork bark log he likes to hide in, there's some fake leaves to add a bit more cover, but I also feel his tank is too small.

Things I'm looking at changing:

- Getting a 40-gallon tank. I'm looking at this one -Thrive Easy-Clean 40 Gallon

- I was looking at the Zoo Med "Forest Floor" substrate instead of the aspen.

- The water dish is meant to sit in a corner, so I'll move it over that way, in the cool end of the tank.

- I think the hide/rock in the warm zone is too small.

- With a bigger tank, I can use this "tree branch" decor to give him something more to climb on.

I'm also going to up the size of the feeders I'm giving him. Right now, he's getting 2 adult mice every week. I think jumbos from the place I get them are a better choice for him.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

snake and bake posted:

Pine and cedar beddings contain natural oils that are irritating or potentially toxic to many reptiles. Some people argue that kiln-dried pine shavings are safe, and maybe they are, but I prefer not to risk it.

Aspen (dry bedding for low humidity) or cypress (damp bedding for high humidity) are good choices. Other safe options: Carefresh (cellulose), Reptibark (fir bark), and various styles of coconut substrates like Reptichip/Ecoearth.

What about substrate-free/hard substrate? Reptile carpet/paper towel/etc. I suppose it’s more species-dependent than anything

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I had a trio of corns; the male was overall chill, one female was chill, Hex was loving insane and would race along the cage to strike at me whenever I came into the room.

No idea why. I had her for years, and the only thing that broke her of this habit was a pair of leather work gloves. I started using them after she nailed me on the middle finger, wouldn't let go, and wrapped four feet of orange albino snake around my hand. And would not let for several minutes.

When I started with the gloves, she'd strike at them, and early on she did latch on. Eventually she learned that gloves = food, and no gloves = cage or water cleaning or whatever. No food.

Only once in a while did I ever have to wear said gloves and tap her on the side to get her to chill out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's a lovely color. Corn snakes aren't usually that kind of deep burnt orange, are they? And boy, yes, that's a big snek.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

That's a lovely color. Corn snakes aren't usually that kind of deep burnt orange, are they? And boy, yes, that's a big snek.

It looks to me like an Okeetee "morph" which is a locality corn snake - the population of corns in a part of South Carolina were caught and bred for that look. Bright orange with dark black around the saddles. Cupcake is a very handsome snake!

I had a super bitey corn back in the day and she was also orange albino/ anerythrystic like the one Cowslips had. She would rattle her tail which I found very cute and helpful for avoiding those bites.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 17, 2021

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I never had mine sexed but my crazy one was a ghost and the chill one was a snow.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

What about substrate-free/hard substrate? Reptile carpet/paper towel/etc. I suppose it’s more species-dependent than anything

Yeah, depends on the species but can be an option. Burrowing species like bedding, and sometimes it's hard to keep a humid enclosure without any damp bedding.

A lot of people use bedding just because it's more natural and looks more attractive. But there are downsides too. It can easily harbor bacteria and mold. There's also a risk of accidental ingestion. None of the beddings I recommended are toxic, but one time I had a corn snake choke on a sharp shard of aspen that got caught in her throat. (Luckily not too deep, I was able to extract it and she survived.)

Non-bedding options can work with a lot of species. It may not be as attractive, but it's safer and more sterile. Some use newspaper, brown kraft paper, or paper towels. Others use stone, tile, or something like that, which can work very well for baskers like beardies. There are "carpet" type mats for reptiles too, like astroturf but nicer.

I like to keep my ball python hatchlings on paper towels - I've found the Viva brand works best, because they don't saturate as easily as other brands. My adult balls are on unprinted newspaper, except for my breeding females, who get cypress so they have extra humidity and something to nest in.

I'm in a very humid area (FL coast) so humidity is not usually much of a concern for me, but ymmv. For instance I tried kraft paper, but it's so humid here that the paper never stayed flat, it would curl up almost immediately. So consider your own climate as well as the reptile's needs when choosing a substrate.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I will say that my balls have always been on bed-a-beast or similar products, and when I had to yank everything to treat for snake mites, they were all pretty pissy at being on dry paper towels.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
How is bed-a-beast different from eco earth?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Afaik they're both just coconut fiber.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

I will say that my balls have always been on bed-a-beast or similar products, and when I had to yank everything to treat for snake mites, they were all pretty pissy at being on dry paper towels.

Viva paper towels handle misting well. They don't dissolve and dry back out nicely, so they can be kept damp and misted repeatedly. I also toss in a clump of damp spagnum moss with the hatchlings to keep the humidity up for shedding, and it gives them something to hide in. Whereas my adults hate paper towels, but seem fine with the newspaper. I only mist them when I see they're close to shedding.

But yeah, if my area wasn't so super humid, I probably wouldn't be able to use newspaper and paper towels as my primary substrates. Sometimes it takes a bit of experimentation to figure out what works best for a particular setup.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

HungryMedusa posted:

What kind of snake is it? Do you plan on getting the same species or similar species for the other bins?

I like racks OK for babies, but prefer PVC cages for adults. It's more fun to just peer in and see if a rat was uneaten or if a snake shed than it is to pull open a drawer and have a hungry snake launch itself out of there. But yeah, racks are fine. I would just make sure whatever you want to keep in there has similar husbandry requirements to the snake you already have.

I hadn’t thought about that. I have a ball python, and I also want a hog nose. I got some heat lamps for my ball python and turned one of his hides into a humid hide and he seems much happier and is eating easier. I also wrapped 3 sides of the tank and most of the top is covered, so hopefully that helps as well. I’m looking at other tanks now.

Luminous Cow fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 18, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I recently learned about a type of Javanese snake that is barely known about (and certainly never discussed that I've seen it) called the Dragon Snake. It looks exactly like what that name would make you expect:

It's a terrible shame that they pretty much invariably die when placed in captivity, because man, just look at that. It's like a crocodile got freaky with a rat snake and it bred true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I recently learned about a type of Javanese snake that is barely known about (and certainly never discussed that I've seen it) called the Dragon Snake. It looks exactly like what that name would make you expect:

It's a terrible shame that they pretty much invariably die when placed in captivity, because man, just look at that. It's like a crocodile got freaky with a rat snake and it bred true.

oh word, you watch Clint on YouTube too?