Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He does a pretty good takedown on the 'validity' of cryptozoology and why it's considered a pseudoscience about 5 min in

Yeah ten minutes in and that was a very good break down on why cryptozoology is BS and why it's pseudoscience and not science.

Good arguments well made.

Was sad seeing Tasmanian Tigers being included in cryptozoology. They only went extinct 100 years ago and Tasmania is like half thick forest so there's still a chance!!!

But yeah probably accurate, alas. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

EasilyConfused posted:

There's a lot going on in this image.

that nessie is related to this bigfoot and heuvelmans was on the right track about a superseal

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dr_rat posted:

Yeah ten minutes in and that was a very good break down on why cryptozoology is BS and why it's pseudoscience and not science.

Good arguments well made.

The whole video is pretty good, he circles back to dunking on the validity of cryptozoology at the end

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

that nessie is related to this bigfoot and heuvelmans was on the right track about a superseal

Wanna give that bigfoot some pats, and maybe a raw fish or two

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The whole video is pretty good, he circles back to dunking on the validity of cryptozoology at the end
Yep, finished it off and indeed the rest was just as good as the start, then started watching his other ones on dinosaurs in films. There's like five. He really likes dinosaur movies apparently. Which sure why not, Dinosaurs are awesome.

His one on Colonialism & The Lost World is probably the best of the ones I've watched so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyczktZVbzA

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Here's a youtube video about dinosaur cryptids (mostly Mokele-mbembe) which have appeared in films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62daivlrxLU

He does a pretty good takedown on the 'validity' of cryptozoology and why it's considered a pseudoscience about 5 min in

He does a run down of quite a few of the many many films about Nessie but skips a few of them such as the 1985 German film Nessie, das verrückteste Monster der Welt because he couldn't find a subtitled version.

There's a copy on Youtube but the auto-generated subtitles are loving awful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AZqwwp8ElA

EasilyConfused posted:

There's a lot going on in this image.

Come for the animatronic Nessie, stay for the post-punk/new wave singer for some reason on the left, or for THE GHOST OF NESSIE :ghost:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Just scanned and uploaded this Bigfoot primer for younger readers by pop-sci titan Daniel Cohen: https://archive.org/details/bigfoot-by-daniel-cohen

I can nitpick a couple bits like the "Native Bigfoot" chapter which describes the wendigo as just a big monster, but otherwise it's a solid intro to Bigfoot and Cohen details all the competing theories from ape to alien to hoax to ultraterrestrial. Lots of maps, illustrations, and interesting vintage Bigfoot/UFO cases:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It’s still so funny that that is the general conception of Mothman given the actual eyewitness descriptions.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Even by cryptid standards mothman myhology always came across as really weird to me. From memory a gaint morhman thing appeared a few times to warn people a bridge was goung to collapse... um, okay.

Did mothman just never appear again as he realized his lovely job at warning people just didn't work at all? Or i mean moths have pretty short lives, so did he metamorphosis from caterpillarman spend his very shot life trying to warn people, failed, then promptly died.

Feel like that would of made the better movie.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I respect the Mothman because he does something other than being a wild animal and doing wild animal poo poo. But I respect the Jersey Devil most of all because he has a backstory

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's not Jersey Devil's fault he's a monster. His mother cursed him before he was even born

I can fix him

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

dr_rat posted:

Even by cryptid standards mothman myhology always came across as really weird to me. From memory a gaint morhman thing appeared a few times to warn people a bridge was goung to collapse... um, okay.

Did mothman just never appear again as he realized his lovely job at warning people just didn't work at all? Or i mean moths have pretty short lives, so did he metamorphosis from caterpillarman spend his very shot life trying to warn people, failed, then promptly died.

OG Mothman isn't even very mothy, he's like a giant bird/angel ... thing

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

With a quarter in his buttcrack.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Cryptid Factor posted some "exclusive" Loch Ness footage, they got the full photo set of the weird "bin bag" lumps that made headlines a few months ago and used the EXIF data to cobble them all together in real time

Full segment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6gAwA-w0C4

Just the footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT5VBaiQF5w

It still doesn't look like anything to me? :shrug: It certainly doesn't look like any identifiable creature so it's absolutely useless in 'proving' the Loch Ness Monster either way. It's not enough for cryptologists to take extremely vague photographic evidence and argue "But you can't prove that it's not the creature!!", it could easily be something completely mundane.

Here's my post from last September about it:

That Loch Ness Monster hunt last weekend was a washout but it did prompt someone to share these photos she took back in 2018 but had been afraid to share because she feared public ridicule

:effort:

Those photos suck but the Daily Mail still ran them on their front page, must've been a reeeally slow news day

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-image-cam.html

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Mar 20, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Cryptid Factor posted some "exclusive" Loch Ness footage, they got the full photo set of the weird "bin bag" lumps...

At the end of the day isn't rubbish the true monster.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Just scanned and uploaded this Bigfoot primer for younger readers by pop-sci titan Daniel Cohen: https://archive.org/details/bigfoot-by-daniel-cohen

"Please, no pictures."

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

dr_rat posted:

he didn’t even really do that in west virginia. the mothman was basically just a weird monster that people saw and got chased by. mothman sightings coincided with a wave of ufo reports in the region at the same time, and reported sightings in both instances petered out around the same time as the silver bridge collapse. john keel plays a game of connecting dots in his book to craft a dramatic narrative out of it all, in the way that ufologists typically do, but to an outsider looking in, there’s not any real reason to connect any of these events or phenomena except that john keel (and gray barker and whoever else) says so.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kor posted:

he didn’t even really do that in west virginia. the mothman was basically just a weird monster that people saw and got chased by. mothman sightings coincided with a wave of ufo reports in the region at the same time, and reported sightings in both instances petered out around the same time as the silver bridge collapse. john keel plays a game of connecting dots in his book to craft a dramatic narrative out of it all, in the way that ufologists typically do, but to an outsider looking in, there’s not any real reason to connect any of these events or phenomena except that john keel (and gray barker and whoever else) says so.

I'm pretty sure in most of the cases they're just drunk, tired and young rural idiots seeing owls.

On another note, Kate Middleton seems to have become a cryptid.

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1770214291066552761

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the only real connection between Mothman and the bridge collapse was timing, after the bridge collapsed people had much more serious concerns than Mothman so the sightings stopped around that time. From what I understand Point Pleasant is/was a small enough area that the bridge collapse effected almost everyone, you most likely either knew someone who died or you knew someone who knew someone.

Gotta admit it's a great story though, just because of all the weird poo poo that was stitched onto it. You can really have a lot of fun with that stuff if you want to, there's a lot of untapped movie potential there with the Men in Black, Indrid Cold, etc etc

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There’s one point in the book where Keel hypothesizes that Mothman is just a guy in a jet pack flying around.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

There’s one point in the book where Keel hypothesizes that Mothman is just a guy in a jet pack flying around.

I mean you say just a guy in a jet pack. I feel like someone randomly and repeatedly flying around West Virginian in a jet pack in the 1960's would still be a loving weird thing to be happening.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The theory that Mothman is just a sandhill crane would be more plausible if sandhill cranes were capable of tucking a quarter into their asscrack.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

McGavin posted:

The theory that Mothman is just a sandhill crane would be more plausible if sandhill cranes were capable of tucking a quarter into their asscrack.

be the change you wish to see in the world

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

Gotta admit it's a great story though, just because of all the weird poo poo that was stitched onto it. You can really have a lot of fun with that stuff if you want to, there's a lot of untapped movie potential there with the Men in Black, Indrid Cold, etc etc

I like the gere movie well enough, but a period piece mini series would be great.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Kor posted:

it's funny how stuff becomes "canon" for cryptids/ufos on such a flimsy basis. sometimes it's as simple as just one specific illustration getting reused until it becomes the look for a specific creature.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

keel has a lot of faults and i am still very very mad at him and his books, but he absolutely knows how to string that kind of narrative along and keep a reader engaged. you can get through mothman prophecies in an afternoon or a day, easy, he's just got that kind of verve going on, it is like the perfect lazy summer day read imo. and yeah he piles so much into mothman prophecies that it would be a fantastic well to go to for a limited series or more focused x-files-ish procedural.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

it's funny how stuff becomes "canon" for cryptids/ufos on such a flimsy basis. sometimes it's as simple as just one specific illustration getting reused until it becomes the look for a specific creature.

yeah kinda. there's also a lot of like, community lore and consensus building in a lot of cases, like how the internet ran with slender man or goatman or all those creepypasta characters and over time that "canon" very often became something different from its origins. in mothman's case specifically, keel's book is (for better or worse) so fundamental to ufology and cryptozoology and is/was popular enough to end up with a hollywood adaptation. he basically got to tell his gussied up, highly dramatized version of events and have it become the bible on the matter. a lot of cryptids and i guess what you might call like, modern folklore just don't attain that kind of cultural cachet or have somebody do a whole book on them that so dominates the landscape. since then, point pleasant has drummed up mothman into a piece of local culture and a minor tourist attraction, it's nearly just a genuine piece of americana at this point. it's a treatment that similar things like the flatwoods monster or spring-heel jack just haven't gotten or are incapable of getting. and the way keel tells it, mothman ends up hitting this nice center point between a bunch of different flavors of high strangeness that mean anybody with even a cursory interest in any one of those topics is gonna come across it if they haven't heard of it before.

Kor has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Mar 21, 2024

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
mighty morphin' mothman mythos

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Flying saucers' literally comes from a misquote of a sighting of UFOs that did not resemble saucers at all.

El Chupacabra is literally the creature from Species.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
That’s what the Men in Black Eyed Children want you to believe. I pity your ignorance…

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I just read through the GBS UFO thread over the past couple of weeks and it's loving hilarious how absurdly credulous a lot of posters were in the first hundred pages or so. Someone mentioned that the CSPAM thread is even more packed with true believers but reading that would require me to to intentionally click on a CSPAM link and no thanks m

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol, yeah... I tried jumping into the GBS one while that House UFO panel was going on last year, but it was way too openly accepting of all those claims. Like, I want to believe too, but I'm gonna need a whole lot more follow up before I even get close to that. Not just "he's under oath, every implication is true!!!"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

chupacabrussy

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

POST THE GRAPH!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Amphigory posted:

POST THE GRAPH!

graph! graph! graph!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

graph! graph! graph!

Oh hey, my old man told me how someone in his rural Minnesota hometown reported encountering those little tin can robot aliens in the 60s!

Apparently he was sort of the town drunk, so people didn't take his stories about aliens that are essentially ambulatory beer cans all that seriously.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I love the little guys from the 1954 Cennina UFO landing and their natty capes, those tiny assholes were such trend setters

"Hey lady, those are some real nice flowers! Be a real shame if someone ...... took them to space!"

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

graph! graph! graph!

Oh come on, the one in the bottom left is obviously Captain Pike in his space wheelchair.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

graph! graph! graph!

Hey, that's really cool, thanks

But I was thinking of the one that plots chupacabra sightings against the release date of the Species movie. Which I now can't find anywhere :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Seems 1954-55 was peak weird rear end aliens, although 1977-78 was pretty cool as well.

Aliens today just seem so dull. Earth needs to start a better marketing campaign so we can attract a more interesting class of aliens again.