Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Wrestlestache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I will never get over the segment where Scott Hall referred to Nash as "the big man" and himself as "the medium-size man"

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

MassRafTer posted:

Every party needs RULES, that is what makes it a party.

I read this in Andre Braugher’s voice.

I miss Andre Braugher :(

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’m on my phone so if someone wants to post some Magnum TA that’d be great, thanks

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Sandman from ECW posted:

I’m on my phone so if someone wants to post some Magnum TA that’d be great, thanks

you got it pal

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What did TA stand for?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What did TA stand for?

totally awesome

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Nice

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Magnum TA was a large, powerful, high-caliber teaching assistant. That's why they did the angle where he learns all the secrets of wrestling from Mr. Wrestling.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Well now I have conflicting explanations.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

The TA stands for Total Action. No word on how stoppable it is though. Really makes you wonder.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's also true. Most Magnums are single-action or double-action, but Magnum TA was total action so you didn't even have to pull the trigger,

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What did TA stand for?

The real answer is his name Terry Allen but I like Totally Awesome better.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Magnum T.A. was named that because "Magnum, P.I." was a popular TV show at the time, and both the lead and Terry Allen had hall of fame 'staches.

No one ever mentions Daffney's last name was Unger, which is why she wore a homemade shirt that said "Hunger for Unger" on Nitro once. She never used "Unger" outside WCW.

Also, every few years I randomly think of that time Daffney sat in on commentary, and when asked about the Mamalukes called them "the Marmadukes." That always makes me chuckle.

Last thing - did anyone else ever notice they tried to name the Crowbar/Son of Flair tag team as "the Badlanders"? I think they only used that name once. It was one of the few times I could even make out David Penzer's voice clearly.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Every once in a while I think of Daffney and get sad because she died and I'm like "Wtf, Daffney's dead? Why?" all over again.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Every once in a while I think of Daffney and get sad because she died and I'm like "Wtf, Daffney's dead? Why?" all over again.

it's bullshit for sure. This business has been terrible to a lot of women and I really wish it would get better. I like to think it is better but then you know WWE and it's horrible culture. I have no idea how women are treated in Japan or the indies or Mexico and Europe. Is it better there, worse?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Daffney was a ray of light in the pit of darkness that was the collapse of the WCW.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Animal-Mother posted:

Daffney was a ray of light in the pit of darkness that was the collapse of the WCW.

I really, really loved the Daffney/David/Crowbar trio as a teenager. They just felt like fun weirdos in a way nobody else in WCW did at that time.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Daffney was so drat good through WCW, TNA, SHIMMER, everything. Her suicide is one of those really awful wrestling tragedies that chipped off a part of me. I miss her.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Daffney was so drat good through WCW, TNA, SHIMMER, everything. Her suicide is one of those really awful wrestling tragedies that chipped off a part of me. I miss her.

its one of those things that I 100 percent blame on the business. I feel like if it wasn't so lovely to women then she'd still be here. I don't know that for sure obviously, but I don't think anything would ever convince me otherwise.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't know all the details but I'm quite happy to blame it on Dixie Carter specifically, or at least TNA. It's not wild speculation to say that fewer concussions and medical care would have made a huge difference.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

WCW Uncensored 1996 tonight. Join us in discord (if you haven't already): https://discord.gg/JvWGUKwx

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I clicked on that thing. Then what do I do?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

I clicked on that thing. Then what do I do?

Stream channel

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you. I joined and did a stupid thing and left. Have fun everyone.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thank you. I joined and did a stupid thing and left. Have fun everyone.

There's a Nitro every Monday night if you want to come watch and suffer. Hall and Nash are just a few months away.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Wrestling Club watched the Doomsday Cage Match and godamn that was the high water mark of the pre-nWo Hulkverse

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

TheSwizzler posted:

Wrestling Club watched the Doomsday Cage Match and godamn that was the high water mark of the pre-nWo Hulkverse

The alliance to end hulkamania? Or something else that I’m blanking on?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Nystral posted:

The alliance to end hulkamania? Or something else that I’m blanking on?

That's the one

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the final solution?
no too poltical
how about the Ultimate Soultion
good enough

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Suplex Liberace posted:

the final solution?
no too poltical
how about the Ultimate Soultion
good enough

He actually did start out as Final Solution somehow:

He was named The Final Solution, but following complaints from Jewish organizations to the Turner corporate offices, his character was renamed The Ultimate Solution.[5] WCW claimed they were unaware that The Final Solution was the name Adolf Hitler gave to his plan to destroy the Jews

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

He actually did start out as Final Solution somehow:

He was named The Final Solution, but following complaints from Jewish organizations to the Turner corporate offices, his character was renamed The Ultimate Solution.[5] WCW claimed they were unaware that The Final Solution was the name Adolf Hitler gave to his plan to destroy the Jews

Turner: We didn't even know Hogan was Jewish!!!

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
There's a very small possibility that they really did not know what the Final Solution was and that it wasn't a reference to Hitler's terrible plan.

I do not however extend that same possibility to when Vince Russo wanted to give Hardcore Holly a finisher name and came up with "Hollycaust" for it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yeah, one is a simple adjective+noun combination that people could feasibly come up with and use if they hadn't heard much about Nazi Germany. The other is a very specific pun for a word you wouldn't ever hear out of its context.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I don’t know if Pillman got his “fake” release before that cage match, but WCW was promoting that he was going to be in the cage. If he actually no showed for that match, he was the smartest man on the heel side.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The story I always heard was that Hogan really wanted Pillman in the match so he could leech off his heat but Pillman conveniently arranged to have surgery on that day. Don't know how true that is though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

"Boy, do I remember this," said Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio. "Brian Pillman on the phone with me almost every night trying to plot a way out of this thing because he was starting to get over and he knew Hogan wanted to leg drop him. As soon as he started getting a buzz, Hogan wanted to leg drop him. All of a sudden, they called him and they wanted him in this match.

"Brian had pops in his neck, and every couple of years, he needed to get surgery to get them removed. I guess I could say because he's dead now? it was elective surgery. He could do it at any time, and when he got the word that Hogan wanted him in this match to leg drop him, he went and had the surgery without telling anyone. Once he had the surgery, he couldn't do a match that quick."

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

"Boy, do I remember this," said Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio. "Brian Pillman on the phone with me almost every night trying to plot a way out of this thing because he was starting to get over and he knew Hogan wanted to leg drop him. As soon as he started getting a buzz, Hogan wanted to leg drop him. All of a sudden, they called him and they wanted him in this match.

"Brian had pops in his neck, and every couple of years, he needed to get surgery to get them removed. I guess I could say because he's dead now? it was elective surgery. He could do it at any time, and when he got the word that Hogan wanted him in this match to leg drop him, he went and had the surgery without telling anyone. Once he had the surgery, he couldn't do a match that quick."

Such a great story and I hope it’s all true. I also love the phrasing of “Hogan wanted to leg drop him”. Not pin him, not beat him, but specially leg drop him. The power of his leg drop probably would have knocked the polyps off for good, brother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hogan actually did the surgery by leg dropping him. The polyps just came right out. Dr. Hogan reviewed the biopsy and that's how the band Green Jelly got its name.