Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Back on the plot bit, the traitor is obvious but there's also a herring there, since Sigmund is rather brash and you don't get to play as him until now so I had him pegged as the potential traitor.

The Armorslayer on Cedric is a good bit of attention to detail regardless. His pathos is also pretty clear, as is Beatrice's 'WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?' bit. His '...' reply is ok, although I'd debate on having him say 'Beatrice...' for a bit more 'oh crap you're the one person I didn't want to see this' implications.

As for the enemy side, there's further cementation of the archetypes of Torvald, Grigori and Pietro, all without Grigori even being there. Grigori's the smart dude who actually looks beyond the war, Torvald's a man of action who finds acts of state tedious but does them anyway because he is all in on being King, and Pietro

I'm expecting Lorelei to get a bit more fleshing out or else she's going to fall into the Selena/Brunnya trap of the mainline games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Quite the explosive ending to what I can only assume is the first act of the game. Props to the writers thus far. The characters seem much more interesting to me than what Fire Emblem has been up to lately. It might be the dialogue style, but it also might be just because we can't yet hide everything into support conversations yet. The very small comedic hints throughout most of the opening chapters also help.

Granted, now that our main antagonist has taken the stage, I think the only thing he missed for his throne speech was the ceremonial bag of kittens to strangle. That's pretty par for the course, Fire Emblem-wise. Even in the latest game where they wanted the option of the player siding with the evil empire, they could only really manage that because Edelgard outsourced things to Kitten Stranglers LLC.

For what it's worth, I think the traitor being playable in that side chapter is a pretty good deflect. But the only thing I'd worry about is that it might make wanting to revenge against Cedric more interesting/appealing than what is probably going to be the main plot of going against Torvald. (That's at least the headspace I'm in right now.)

vilk
Dec 21, 2019

Alxprit posted:

Wrong who's, if you hadn't caught that, dev people.

Meanwhile, i completely missed it :downs:

vilk
Dec 21, 2019
8. The End, Again

This is not a regular chapter,

and doesn't have the usual gameplay in it,

so just sit back and enjoy the talkyheads.

I'm afraid not. I've gathered some supplies from the nearby villages, but still no news about the war.
Cassandra was right, Luzern is proving to be quite... isolated.

Too isolated. We're going stir crazy here.

Maybe you should speak to them. Ease their minds a little.

Hasn't helped so far, but I guess I can try.

It might do you some good too, you know. You've done nothing but train and pace about since we got here. That axe has nearly lost its edge by now.

Sigh... right. I'll let you know when I'm done.

We do still have a map of sorts.

I'll be right here till then.

It just doesn't have a single red unit on it.

All right! Let's get to work.

Getting to work is made somewhat easier by the fact that Judith has seemingly eaten 5 pairs of boots and is suddenly incredibly loving fast.

Don't tell me it's going away for the next proper chapter, I prefer being able to dream ok

A wealthy and respectable merchant. Her deal-making skills are legendary.

We also have Paula on the map in all her NPC glory. Those are certainly stats, I'll give her that!

But it's not just her; most of our crew are hanging around the area, so let's go bother the rest of them.

Lily hasn't been getting to do much lately. Which is a crime.

Really. And nobody caught him?

Nobody. The merchant was fuming, of course, but after a few drinks, he forgot about the whole thing. Okay, your turn!

Hmmm... There was this time me and my dad saw a whale off the shore in Pesici.

No way, a whale! In Orexia?

I know. We couldn't believe it at first. But there it was, waving its tail out of the sea as clear as day. And when it jumped like that... I'll never get over how big it was.

Oh, hi Judith.Melanie and I were just exchanging stories of our travels.

I see.Then you must have told her about the time you and Nick went to the mainland, right?

You went to Varisten? What was it like? Did they wear weird clothes there? How many languages did you hear over there?

Well, I was seasick for most of it. I just stayed at an inn while Uncle Nick did things in town. Honestly, it was... just like Athania, but different. If you've seen one port town, you've seen them all.

True enough, I guess
But oh, how I'd love to visit some day. I hear they have griffins. Griffins!

As a matter of fact, they do. I've read a lot of books about the Commonwealth. Just saying.

And the capital city alone is the size of Orexia!

That seems a little exaggerated.

Actually, Enceleda is considered its own city-state within the Commonwealth. In addition to being its capital.

How would you even rule a city that size?

No idea, but I'm glad I don't have to!

I think my father went there once. When we get back to Falnor you can ask him about it.

...Judy?
Are we ever gonna get home again?

Maybe not for a while yet...

Well that was nice.

June and Selia are up next.

Ugh. Doesn't Cassandra have a castellain to do this? How did I get stuck running inventory again?

I dunno. Seems okay, last I saw. Why don't you ask Martin? He's the one they posted there.

Milady, that is not an attitude befitting our current situation. The Emperor depends on us.

Uh huh, and there's also supplies to organize. Why don't you do your guard duty thing and let me be?

Were you not in Richter's personal guard? What were you even doing in Thessalon?

...This? Every castle needs someone to manage all the garbage. Otherwise important stuff gets lost in the day to day shuffle.

Oh. You were his seneschal then? That's still an important role. I used to maintain the stables back on mother's estate, before... Well, I suppose that's all in the past now.

Why? Those stables are still there. Soon as this war's over, you'll be hauling manure again in no time.

Not if Calamos isn't there when I go home.
...If I go home.

Your mother's in Calamos, right?

With Lady Vera, yes. Last I heard at least, but there's been nary a word since we came up the mountains.

I'd met Lady Meredith once. Soft spoken, but she knew how to make people listen and how to get things done. I have the utmost faith she's out there making life hell for the Nicaeans as we speak. Trust me, Calamos will still be there.

How are you so confident all the time?

Two mugs of ale in the afternoon. Works like a charm.

...Truly?

She kind of does, yes.

Sup Bea?

You never liked the Emperor, yes... but murder? How could you have sunk so low? How could you do this to us?

Do you need someone to talk to?

Gha! Paula?!
What, come to accuse me of treason too? Or to laugh at my plight? The noble Lady Beatrice brought low by her sinful father. Or maybe you're here to tell me--

Beatrice, who's been accusing you of treason?
Whose fingers do I need to break?

Do I need to push someone into the moat after dark? I can round up four horses and some rope if you'd--

Ah! N-no no no, that's quite all right. It's just... some of Cassandra's men have been whispering behind my back. That I knew what my father was planning. That I helped him do it. I can't even go in to town anymore, everyone I talk to... they hate me.

Sweetie, I know you had nothing to do with this mess. You know you had nothing to do with it. You've done nothing wrong, but lashing out just makes you look suspicious.

But how do I make them see that? The only people who were in that room were Richter and me. Sigmund didn't show up until Theodor was already...

I'll speak to Richter. He'll vouch for you. And as for Sigmund, I'll see if I can get him to inform the troops. You've never wavered in your loyalty to Richter, and that's what matters now. Remember that. If anyone starts giving you grief, you come to me, and I'll sort them out. Got it?

...Thank you, Paula.

no matter what I have to face, even if it's Father himself!

I hope you get a boss conversation at least.

I mean, assuming King Jerkbag doesn't shiv him or something. I honestly half expected a "you have outlived your usefulness" scene there, not gonna lie.

Benchwarmer, Rowan, what have you got for me?

What's wrong, sis? Itchin' for a fight again?

No, I...I just want to go home. Ma and Pa must be worried sick about us.

They'd be worried even if we was standin' right in front of 'em. Ain't safe anywhere right now.

Huh?

Ain't this what ya signed us up for? Protectin' the realm and all that? Sounds like we're right where we need ta be.

Oh yeah?
Well fine job we've done of it so far. We shoulda stayed home and helped out ol' Rorik with the townsfolk. At least we'd have been with Ma an' Pa then.

And if we han't been at Thessalon? Who woulda shouted out to Judith when that arrow almost took 'er out?

That coulda been... Lily, maybe?

And that group of bandits? Who was in there, flailin' like a windmill takin' em all out?

(Spoiler, it was not Clover :ssh:)

Or when Paula's horse slipped its shoe on the way up the mountain here? Ain't none of these city folk or high lords coulda helped with that.

Heh, couldn't help but notice everyone's armor was all patched up lately, too. Wonder who mighta done that.

Not what I'd call my greatest 'complishment... But everyone does feel better with a shield that got no holes in it, now don't they?

Yeah, I get ya. We ain't the most important folks in this bunch, but... We got our roles.

Yup.
And speakin' of which, someone clogged the privies again.

Oh, glad to hear ya volunteerin' fer that.

Clover doesn't have the str for the job anyway so sorry about that Rowan.

Angus and Kate!

I guess Mikhail was on the level. But where do we go from here...?

Gkh!
Uh... Yes, of course! I was merely... listening to the whispers of the wind. They bring portents of the--

I was nae born yesterday, Kate. Yer hidin' somethin'. Have been fer a while nah. I ain't gonna be the one tae rat ye out, but people are startin' to get suspicious.

W-Whatever do you mean? I have nothing to hide.
Here, look in my pockets. See? Nothing.
Oh wait, no, there's some lockpicks. Should probably find a better place for those.
And this I borrowed from Paula...
without her knowing it-- don't tell her--

Would ye listen to yerself for a wee second? Lass, ye need to come clean to whatever yer schemin'. We're all in the same boat 'ere. If ye have summat that can help us...

...I can't. I was told to keep quiet about why I'm here.

Judith and Richter put their trust in ye. Maybe ye should return the favor, ya think? Or do there summat else to it, mmh?
...Yer not workin' for Nicaea now, are ye, lassie?

What?! No! Don't be absurd. What kind of Darbosi would that make...

Right, fine. I ain't gonna force ye. We never even had this chat. But think about what yer silence may cost us. If we go down, we all go down together.

It isn't that far to the border from here, is it?

:catstare: So help me gently caress, Kate, before you try anything I would like to remind you that Rowan doubles you and has triangle advantage...

Cassandra and Jeigan Mark II!

I see. Good.
I take it that there's no news though.

Uh, yes. How could you tell?

Because it would have been the first thing you told me otherwise.
Moreover, I know how remote we are out here. News only gets here the hard way.

Indeed. The trip up the mountains was treacherous enough when we knew the terrain. I cannot imagine how much worse it's become since the winter set in.

At least this works to our favor. Nicaea won't be coming up here while the weather holds.

But they will eventually.
Luzern might not be anything to look at above ground, but the lion's share of Athania's gold and iron resources are in these mountains. Once Torvald has Calamos, he's coming here.

Can't we fend them off from here? We have the high ground, and our food stores are well stocked...

For now. But that won't last... The Luzern winter is extremely harsh. The land and lakes freeze over, and with Nicaea in the Crownlands, there's no wagons coming in from the coast anymore to restock us.

I had no idea we were stretched so thin. I'm starting to regret asking the local villages for supplies. I can't imagine how dire things must be for them too.

Perish such thoughts, girl. They are duty-bound to serve their Duchess and their Emperor.

I share your concern, Judith. With the army here, we're supplied for about a month, maybe two if we push it. We're on borrowed time already; a siege would be the end of us.

So what do we do?

That is the question, isn't it?
Don't worry, Sigmund and I will come up with something.

Indeed. Thank you for your report, Judith. Now leave the rest to us.

What do you make of her, Sigmund? She could make for a good officer, at least.

You give her too much credit. She was just lucky that they never ran into the bulk of the Nicaean forces. She did... adequately by His Grace till now, but this is another matter entirely.

Perhaps.
Still, she has potential...

You better not Roy Promote™ Judith, Awful Emblem team :mad:

I apparently didn't cap talking to Rose but she's in the top right room by herself.

For not setting me on fire, despite her best efforts.
For only deafening me in one ear...
No, no, too much.
Agh. How would Mother word this?
(For outstanding practical application of curriculum subject matter. For patience under pressure...)
Would 'creativity' be too glib, perhaps? It's not inaccurate though... That poor bandit...
(...As such, I believe Fia has surpassed the expectations of her remedial coursework, and should be promoted to...)

Fia herself, naturally, is nowhere to be found. You can tell by how not on fire everything is.

Right then, we've only got one group left and... wait, didn't you used to be a lot more... green? I mean it's understandable if you're feeling blue and

The Emperor of Athania in exile. Crafty and determined, but impatient.

hey look stats! Well, Fia's definitely edging closer and closer to that spot next to Clover on the bench...

Richter's Militia class is different from Judith's; it reads The Emperor of Athania, forced to fight for himself. Uses light magic.

And indeed, Richter appears to have picked up a custom brave light tome! ...which somewhat oddly, despite the description claiming it's for Richter only, does not appear to be a Prf weapon. I'm sure that'll be fixed by the time we actually get to play with it... although it'd be kind of fun if it wasn't, too.

Let's see if we can learn something more.

Rgh! Easy for you to say. With Sigmund pounding rules of law and governing into my head every day, my mind is close to bursting.

Richter, if you want to learn magic, you have to take this seriously. Normally, you would have to start training in your youth, but we're long past that now.
...And time is growing short.

I am. I have tried my damnedest to focus, but I CAN'T.
...Father. I-I can't stop thinking about him, even if I wanted to. Every night, I see him dying in my dreams. Every night, I see Cedric stab him. And I can't do anything to stop him.

I understand. That anger and fear, it's natural. But if you don't let go of it, you'll never be able to grasp even the basics of magic, much less master it. Rise above your pain, Richter.

Bah. That's easy to say if you've been studying scrolls in a cloister since you were twelve!

Perhaps.
But I wasn't.
If I had made the time when I was younger, maybe, but in truth I started when I was about your age as well. It took me several years to master even the simplest healing spells.

I don't have that long! Nicaea could be at the gates any day! I'd be better served learning the sword from Sigmund at this rate!

And that is why you must relax. The more you can ease into your training, the simpler it will become.
You've shown remarkable progress already, and a natural aptitude for magic. I couldn't conjure a single spark until three months in. My teachers were ready to give up on me.

...Really?

It was 28 years ago. I had reached a... turning point in my life as well. Orexia never refuses a student, but that doesn't mean they won't let them go either.

Well, I'm glad that they didn't. You've been invaluable, father. It's clear to me now why Judith trusts you so much. I'm sorry for my earlier outburst.

Think nothing of it.
Now, let's try that again.

Right.

That's everybody we can find, so I think we're

that, yes, thank you paula

Yeah, I think I'm finished here.

---

A little, I guess? Seems like everyone just wants to go home, and I can't blame them.

The thought has crossed my mind too. But reality seems to be pulling us in the opposite direction...

For right now, maybe. But we're going to turn this around. Somehow. I won't let them down.

Hmm, ready to run headfirst into hell and beat it back all by yourself?
Ahh. Your father was just as ambitious when he was your age.

Is that so... You think Dad is okay out there? He put on a brave face, but he was still sick when we left Falnor.

Hahaha. If you think that a small thing like a fever would keep him down, you don't know Rorik that well.

Dad used to be a mercenary, right? I know he's a good fighter, but...

Not just good, dear. He was the best. Probably still is. It wouldn't be the first time he had to fend off an army with only a few villagers at his back.

...What do you mean?

He wasn't really one to relive the past much, was he?
Well, I suppose now's as good a time as any. You see, back when I was a traveling merchant, I met a young man in Darbos...

---

Did you find something scandalous in the Prince's bedroom? Or did Grigori just fall down the stairs and he needs help getting off his fragile old duff?

No, Majesty, I come with a gift. We've captured one of the leaders of the southern resistance.

Oh lovely, some doddering farmer found the courage to swing his pitchfork at one of our footmen.

He killed fifty of our men.
In an hour.
On his own.

On second thought, he sounds wonderful. Are we hiring, by chance?

I still fail to see how this is worthy of my attention... But I trust your judgment, Lorelei. Bring him in.

Rorik the Blood Eagle. In Athania, of all places. By Epirro's axe...
My apologies, Lorelei. This IS worthy of my attention.
So this is where you washed up, is it, old man?

You actually look like you're happy to see me. Guess I didn't kill enough of your goons out there. You're just like your dad, eh Torvy?

Silence!

Mhm. Thank you, Lorelei. You really have brought me a valuable gift indeed.
To think that Adrian's dog would have...settled down.
Take him to the dungeon for now. I'll figure out what to do with him...in due time.

Gasp! Not Buff Dad!

This was just getting interesting, you jerks!

Oh well, let's see the outro while we're at it.

Random map!

The devs wanted me to pass along a message to all of you who made it to the end. Ahem...
"It's been a while since the last demo, and it may not look like much has changed since then, but we've been hard at work getting Act 1 finished up. The feedback we got from the last demo was helpful in re-shaping the early chapters. Work on Act 2 has already begun and hopefully will go quicker, this time around thanks to what we've learned from Act 1. Thanks again for playing and we'll see you again soon in the Act 2 demo coming next year. Maybe.

Richter hatches a new plan!
Beatrice reaches her breaking point!
Judith makes a costly error!
As Torvald tightens his hold on Myrina, our heroes seek new allies in distant lands. Desperation and hope propel them forward, but are they simply walking into Grigori's grand trap?

Mom, what are you doing?

It's called Marketing, Judith. This kind of thing is literally half my job. You gotta give people the exciting hook so that they'll come back for more!

...Some people are too hard to please.

Heh, if you two say so.
Thanks for playing the demo! We'll see you again in the future!

Well you loving better after all this buildup!

You too, random map!

And then we died. :saddowns:

anyway yeah so that was the latest as of december 2019 if you are somehow reading this in the future Awful Emblem demo! For more information on the game, there's a thread on FE Universe where you can also find the latest download if you want to play it yourself.

And that's all I've got. The end! At least for the time being.

vilk fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 26, 2019

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Nicu! Thanks for showing off the hack

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
As always I'm supremely excited for where the AE crew goes forward.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

vilk posted:

8. The End, Again
:words:

That was fantastic, vilk. Thank you so much for doing this. Though you missed showing off Paula's stats* now that she's on a map where she doesn't automatically disappear at the start of gameplay:

:eng101:

vilk
Dec 21, 2019
:tipshat:

I completely forgot to even check those, but I edited it into the update! :byoscience:

edit: Oh and also, if you could update the op with the last two updates, that'd be great!

vilk fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 26, 2019

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks for playing our hack again Vilk! I have some final thoughts to close things out:

- The intermission map got completely redone after the demo shipped, because I didn't have time to recolor a tileset beforehand. It now looks like this:

- Richter's "Militia" class was supposed to be changed to "Emperor" but I forgot to set it to update the class table to point to his new class name before making the demo. In vanilla FE8, Eirika and Ephraim both share the same class name of "Lord" so the game points both classes to the same name. Judith and Richter have two different class names, so we needed two different name pointers, meaning I had to find space for Richter's somewhere else in all the text.
- Richter's Lumen tome should be a Prf, considering I set it up like the Reginlief was (Richter replaces Ephraim's character ID for obviously reasons). We'll have to investigate it once he's playable.

We're well on our way to working on Act 2. We're able to re-use a number of maps from previous versions of the hack for upcoming chapters, so I just need to update them for FE8's engine. Chapter 9's map is brand new to this version of the plot, and I just finished building it a couple of days ago. The writing team is currently encoding all the supports we've written, since supports will be unlocked and available next time. There's a lot of work still to be done, so I don't have a timeframe on when to expect the next demo.

Thanks for playing our hack, and I hope everyone enjoyed it!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

vilk posted:

:tipshat:

I completely forgot to even check those, but I edited it into the update! :byoscience:

edit: Oh and also, if you could update the op with the last two updates, that'd be great!

Done and done.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there a map of the continent somewhere? I think there was

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is there a map of the continent somewhere? I think there was

It's been updated a bit since the last demo, but here it is:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

nine-gear crow posted:

Please stop reminding me I'm a fool for actually including world map interludes between chapters because the eventing for those was designed by a howler monkey.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The intermission was probably the biggest thing we were unsure about in the whole hack so far. We're already a bit wordy and the intermission being basically "gently caress it here's *all* the words, skip em if you really want" felt a little self-indulgent. I mean, we think they're good words and you should read them, but we're a bit biased. :v:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

nine-gear crow posted:

The Nicaean/Athan border is all mountains with a lake in the middle. How did Nicea move an invasion force? Sail down the lake and march through Orexia?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

to me it looks like Nicaea marched from their capital to their port, then sailed all the way to Falnor? That is where they first see the insurgents no?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Nicaean/Athan border is all mountains with a lake in the middle. How did Nicea move an invasion force? Sail down the lake and march through Orexia?

There's a line in the earlier chapters about them coming up through Orexia, yes. That's going to be expanded on greatly in Act 2.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
For what it's worth, I thought the interlude was pretty cute. It's a neat way to do what Fire Emblem 9 would do with pre-chapter convoys, which eventually led to the better version of the support system, albeit under the constraints of the older engine. That stuff was "optional" as well, but achieved the same ends overall.

I suppose if you wanted to preserve things in a purely "gameplay" sense, it would be wise to have a shop available on the map. Just a single one. Then it would be more or less the same as 29xE/31xH in FE7, albeit paired down for it being in the relative earlygame. That would make it worthwhile as a matter of pure gameplay, if only by a technicality; thus reducing the appearance of self-indulgence. However, since this is based on FE8, it is a bit offset by the fact that most of the Battle Preparations screens have both types of shops available there too. I don't know much about FE hacking, but if the scripting for how Rennac and Farnia join is still there somewhere, it might be possible to have the map include some talkable green-team NPCs on the map acting as vendors for single items to go into Act 2 with. That might be a way to make it seem less redundant, but it would depend on what would be appealing for the future maps as to how they'd factor into the strategy of the game.

The only thing I can think of that might but off the table is if a pair of boots is one of the possible items, as getting it within this time window might or might not have an effect on Judith's temporary buff to her movement range. Given the level-ups Vilk got for key characters this time around, maybe you put a Juna Fruit on offer. :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Artix posted:

The intermission was probably the biggest thing we were unsure about in the whole hack so far. We're already a bit wordy and the intermission being basically "gently caress it here's *all* the words, skip em if you really want" felt a little self-indulgent. I mean, we think they're good words and you should read them, but we're a bit biased. :v:

Pairing the characters off so you can do multiple things at once with the dialogue, giving gobs of move to the one you're controlling on a small map and giving the player the option to skip all of it immediately is pretty much the ideal of this sort of thing.

IMO Judith could have potentially chimed in on a few things. Kate's the main one, to further establish the line of how much the characters know of that convo compared to the player (IE a thoughtful '...' as she listens in but remains silent, or a 'hey Angus, what'cha doin?' 'i though' i heard some whispers on the wind but it was jus' a bloody draft abou' the place.') As it stands you've got a good ratio of 'she joins in on the conversation' and 'she politely eavesdrops on the conversation.'

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My favorite thing about Fire Emblem is the implication that everyone just rides their horses, pegasus' (pegasi?), and dragons inside any and all buildings

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Liked the intermission, I loved the pre-mission conversations in FE9 and these looked like the same vein.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

IMO Judith could have potentially chimed in on a few things. Kate's the main one, to further establish the line of how much the characters know of that convo compared to the player (IE a thoughtful '...' as she listens in but remains silent, or a 'hey Angus, what'cha doin?' 'i though' i heard some whispers on the wind but it was jus' a bloody draft abou' the place.') As it stands you've got a good ratio of 'she joins in on the conversation' and 'she politely eavesdrops on the conversation.'

We mulled this idea over and the general consensus was that if she appeared in too many of them she was going to be obtrusive because the Intermission is all about letting the non-Judith/Richter characters have a moment to shine. And her popping in for just a single line kind of undermined that idea, so we stuck to the notion of “Is Judith in this scene, yes or no?” And held firm to that. The only one that breaks that pattern is the Rose scene because it’s Rose on her own for 99% of it and flipping back and forth between verbal and non-verbal lines so we just had Judith pop in to round out the scene.

Kate/Agnus is paid off almost immediately in Chapter 9, so it will make a little more sense why Judith doesn’t butt in when the next demo is released and you go right from INT 1 to CH9.

Really the only ones Judith is in are the two scenes that establish the general state of affairs. Sigmund/Cassandra shows how Judith is fitting in, or trying to fit in in this new power dynamic as Cassandra has stepped up and is basically running the show while Richter’s off recovering from his various Chapter 8-induced traumas. (As signified by having Cassandra on the throne in the map instead of Richter). While Melanie/Lily helps reinforce the general feeling that nobody really wants to be here, they all want to go home and they have an up hill fight ahead of them.

Early Act 2 is going to be a bit of a tug of war on the “Who’s really in charge here?” front between Judith, Richter, Cassandra and Sigmund.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

We mulled this idea over and the general consensus was that if she appeared in too many of them she was going to be obtrusive because the Intermission is all about letting the non-Judith/Richter characters have a moment to shine. And her popping in for just a single line kind of undermined that idea, so we stuck to the notion of “Is Judith in this scene, yes or no?” And held firm to that. The only one that breaks that pattern is the Rose scene because it’s Rose on her own for 99% of it and flipping back and forth between verbal and non-verbal lines so we just had Judith pop in to round out the scene.

That makes sense and it's a limitation of doing things this way, using units on the map and thus implying that Judith is privy (actively or passively) to what's going on because you moved her right next to them :v:

vilk
Dec 21, 2019

FPzero posted:

- The intermission map got completely redone after the demo shipped, because I didn't have time to recolor a tileset beforehand.

That works better since some of it took place outdoors. Looks nice, too.

quote:

- Richter's Lumen tome should be a Prf, considering I set it up like the Reginlief was (Richter replaces Ephraim's character ID for obviously reasons). We'll have to investigate it once he's playable.

I know the prf doesn't show up with higher weapon rank requirements, like the shamshir, but the tome doesn't seem to have any reqs at all. It's very weird.

:waycool:

Artix posted:

I think it works well. It's perfectly skippable if you don't care/have already seen it, and it's nice to avoid the "i am a playable character in Fire Emblem, let me join and never speak again because you might have got me killed at some point" syndrome. I wouldn't mind seeing more like it later on. The only issue is Bea talking to someone she's not even next to, which seems a bit odd. Maybe if you stuck her closer to Paula to start with?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Maiden Quest is a FE7 romhack made by Cedar, the same person who made Matthew's Nightmare. Based on his blurb:

Cedar posted:

Fire Emblem:Maiden Quest will be a hack centered around Sain's seemingly hopeless quest to get married.
This was pretty much 100% Ezra's idea, but I thought it would be fun to do/start it myself.

This hack will include:
  • Ten chapters
  • Some custom maps
  • Custom edited events
  • Custom "Caelin-world map" prologues to chapters
  • Female enemy units
  • New written script and convos full of lulz
  • A few custom battle animations, but nothing fancy. I'm no spriter after all. If YOU are a spriter, however, see text below
  • Possibly one or two non-custom mug splices, but most of the portraits I'll be using will be copy-pasta taken from FE6-8 games.

I'd explain more, but I haven't actually played this game yet. Thus, this will be a blind LP. That said, I'm going to assume that you are familiar with FE7 and its mechanics.

Prologue. Sain's Quest Begins
Chapter 1. The Girls Strike Back
Chapter 2. A Reunion Gone Wrong
Battle
Post-Battle
Chapter 3. Treasure Hunt
Battle
Chapter 4. Sain to the Rescue
Battle

Emily Route (Serious :geno:)
Chapter 4. Battle
Post-Battle
Chapter 5. A Recruit from Delwin

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 23, 2020

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Persons attempting to take this hack seriously will be shot. Persons attempting to find logic in it will be lynched. Persons attempting to start wars over pairing will be stabbed. Repeatedly. With a fruit knife. BY ORDER OF CEDAR NYX. That being said... Let's get started, shall we?

Ah, nothing like a good ol'fashioned death threat.

Set your name, gender, and birth month. The wind affinity (March or May) is recommended.

The recommendation is purely because Sain has a wind affinity. I don't know if the tactician bonus still applies here, but March seems appropriate.

As I lay dying... I see many things. I see the future... Oh... Why? Why...is this not now...? Neither Bramimond nor I...will be...here...to help a land...in need...
What...do you see?
.............. Exactly...three years from now...

*The sad music changes into cricket sounds*

:cawg:

........... ...L-Lord Athos? You... Y-You're joking, right?

How could I ever remain cooped inside on a day like this? A little wandering now and then does wonders for my spirit... And I meet so many lovely ladies along the way! Don't worry! Kent's got everything under control. Lyn's safe in his care... I'm not THAT reckless! But--Ah! Do my eyes deceive me? There, at the far side of town... Glorious visions of heaven on earth! Quick! I must ride forth to exalt this wonderfully exquisite beauty!

Mm-hmm. In fact, the first three will be arriving shortly. There'll be one for each of us. Pretty neat, huh?
Wow, that's totally awesome!
Emily, you're the best! But... Aren't pegasi like super expensive?
Don't worry about it. Money's not really an issue. My father is the mayor after all.
Heehee! Yeah, that's right. I almost forgot! By the way, Em... We should totally have a party this week! The last one was such a let down.
I know, right? That "lords and castles" theme really didn't work out. All the guys who dressed up as knights were so dumb. They had like no manners.
Don't you ever wish that one day, a real knight would ride by and...sweep you off your feet?
I know, right? That would be soooo romantic.

Be careful what you wish for.

Pfft. Oh come on. Nellie, Shana. Snap out of it you two. That's just silly.
But, Emmy! Be honest! I mean, real knights are soooo brave and noble-
And charming!
Even you couldn't resist being courted by a man like that. Heehee.
Yeah, I totally agree- Ohmigosh! Shana! Emmy! Do you see what I see?!
What is it, Nellie? Why are you squealing like that?
Ohmigosh! It's... It's a knight! A real knight at the north gates of town!
What? Like no way!
Like, yes way. There he is! See, see!
Wow! He's riding towards us. He's kinda cute, heehee. We should totally go talk to him.
Yeah, he might even ask me out-
What! You? Seriously? He'll ask me out.
Not if I get to him first! See ya, Shana! *runs off*
Nellie! No fair! Wait up for me! *runs off*
........ Sigh... Well, isn't this pathetic? Look at them. Tripping over themselves to just meet some armored guy on a horse. I don't care how cute he is... All men are such pigs. Ugh.

Ahh! Bless my heart! Behold, an angel calls to me!
Angel?
Oh! Dearest maiden, I can hardly speak in your presence! The melodious sound of your voice takes my very breath away!
Wow...
No, my sweet. It is I who is awed by your splendor. May I ask you your name, oh beautious one?
N-Nellie... I'm Nellie.
Nellie... Such a lovely name! In all my life, my eyes have never beheld such beauty as yours! I am Sain, your humble servant, knight to the House of Caelin!
Wow... I don't know what to say.
Then do not speak, love. Please draw closer... Allow this humble knight to kiss your fair hand.
*Moves closer* O-Of course, sir knight! And... If I may be as bold to ask... C-Could you lift me up on your steed?
Milady! You are far too kind! You grant me the deepest desires of my heart! Come let me buy you a drink as well!
Yes! Oh yes! Take me away, Sir Sain! Take me away!

Could it be? Could Sain actually found his woman? :aaa:

Notice how Sain is currently "rescuing" Nellie.

Shana, look at me! Ohmigosh! Sir Sain is going to buy me a drink!
Shana? Ahh... Might that be your name, oh lovely one?
What?!
Yes, sir knight. Surely you think I'm beautiful.
Beautiful? No, no... That is too weak a word! Your eyes shine as brightly as the stars, milady.

:cripes:

B-But... But you said...
Ah! Nellie? W-Why do you look so...disheartened?
You said I was most beautiful!
But you are, darling--
But she's less pretty than me. Isn't that right, Sir Sain.
Tell her, Sir Sain. Tell her who you think is the most fair!
Uh...well...I...I think both of you are...so lovely... How could I choose between you? I... I love you both!

:bang:

Y-You...you can't mean...
Eeek! He's a player!
Eeek!

Notice how Sain no longer "rescues" Nellie.

But you're just like all the other guys in the village!
You pig!
No, wait! Please-
Eeeeek!
Get away from us!

B-Blast, now I've done it... I must redeem myself of this blunder! Fair maidens, allow your Sain to woo you back to his side! Give this humble knight a second chance, I beg of you!

Once this reaches zero, they will promptly flee, diesappearing from the map.

That certainly is a mission objective. Let's take a look at our main character's stats.

This is normally the part where I'd explain what each stat means, but I also don't know that. Good thing Cedar changed the Help texts :v:

Mus Muscle. Units with manly 6-packs have extra high levels of this. (80%)
Cun Cunning. Cuz better street-smarts and common sense improves hit%. (60%)
Wit Wit. The unit's ability to make awesome rebuttals. (35%)
Chm Charm. This sometimes gets the unit out of trouble. (40%)
Inv Invincibility level. Human tank much? (20%)
Res Resilience. The unit's ability to put up with magic, insults, and jerks. (20%)
Skirt Chaser A skirt chaser. 'Nuff said.

These stats work exactly the same way as vanilla. They're purely here for flavor, which I really appreciate :effortless:

Those numbers at the end are the growth rates, by the way. They're exactly the same as his FE7 growth rates.

Club pass Allows access to specialty drinks and items at the pub.

At least we know exactly what the vulnerary does.

Sain also has C in swords and A in lances, which means jack poo poo for us right now.

Mag ARGGGG, MAGIC! ARRRGGG! It screws with your mind!
Nellie A friend of Emily's. A bit sensative and naive.

I'm glad Cedar decided to reskin the stats :allears:

Icy Glare hits Sain's res of 0, which would be more worrying if Nellie's stats is any good.

Shana A friend of Emily's. Stout-hearted, but dreamy at times.

Shanna is 2 whole res higher than Nellie. Which doesn't matter because Sain's Woo since it's a physical attack that...hits...res...

...Huh. I guess it does matter after all. It won't be enough to make a differnece, but still.

Emily Head of the girl's club. Not very fond of men.

Emily is the boss here, and she has higher stats than the others.

By the way, you might've noticed the store on the northwest.

Love Potion A love potion that stuns anyone who smells it.

It's a Mine. No, I'm not going to do the mine glitch.

As you expected from those stats, Shana is no match for Sain.

Hmphm. Are you really a knight of Caelin? Y-You should be ashamed of yourself! I mean, hitting on me and Nellie at the same time? Where's your sense of knightly honor? Seriously?
But, Shana, I--
Hey! Read my lips... I'm not interested! Now leave me be!

AHHHH! Stop it, knight! Just leave me alone!
No, Shana! W-Why are you running away? Shana!!

Next up is Nellie, who is even more susceptible to Sain's...persistence than Shana.

Worth noting that Nellie's and Shana's AI are set to flee from Sain.

Nellie, my angel! Please, give me another chance!
You hurt me, Sir Sain... I thought you really loved me. B-But...but...
Nellie, please don't cry! Seeing those tears... Ah! It rends my very heart!
You... Y-You... No... You're lying...! S-Stop it! Stop following me! Go chase after Shana instead!

Well about that... :sweatdrop:

Unneccesarily Cool Critical: a Fire Emblem LP Tradition.

Eeeeek! I-I can't stand it anymore! I'm going home!
Wait! Nellie! P-Please don't go!

Turns out there's another shop here. We don't have any money, but it can't hurt to take a look.

Fun fact: We can't enter this shop if we don't have the Club Pass.

Beer Magically brewed beer that cures poison.
Whisky A strong brew that can be used as fuel for torches.
Fancy Ale Magical ale that boosts Res. Grows weaker each turn.
Red Wine A magical red wine that restores all HP.
White Wine Magical white wine that blesses the unit that drinks it.

Antitoxin, torch, pure water, elixir and Afa's drops respectively. There's one more item, but...

"Small" fortune :raise:

Most of the houses are closed, but the building next to the pub can be visited.

...Hmm. I guess no one's home.

I said it can be visited, not that it'll yield anything :v:

That leaves us with only Emily. She is actually pretty dangerous, but she won't move.

We can talk to her.

Ah! Marvelous! Wonderful!
Hmm?
Your hair, dear maiden. It shines as brightly as the morning sun!
What the...?
Oh goddess of the dawn, might you grant this lowly knight the pleasure of knowing your name?
...It's Emily.
Emily! I am Sain! Sain of the Caelin Knights! Ahh, what a sublime delight to be by your side, fair Emily!
Please come closer! Don't be shy!
.....Ha, I knew it! You're just as bad as the rest.
Ahh...
Please, leave me alone. I'm not interested. *leaves*
No, wait! Emily, darling...please!

I said we can talk to Emily, not that it'll actually affect anything :j:

Since Emily can kill us in 2 hits (if we don't heal), it's better to let her engage first.

You hurt them! You know how heart-broken they must feel right now?
Ahhh! I--
Enough. Please just leave. Get out of here. You're annoying.

The battle is enough to give us an amazing level. That's a good sign of things to come :allears:

This is risky, but it's only turn 4.

UGHHH! I had enough of you! I'm leaving.
Ahhh... W-Wait! Please! What did I do wrong...?

Defeating Emily gives us enough EXP for our second level. It's meh.

In the previously empty building...

So disappointing...
Well, at least you two learned your lesson. As long as that knight never returns, we'll be all right.
Yeah... I hope... He never comes back.
But I... still don't believe ALL knights are like that. There's got to be a charming, handsome knight out there...
Yeah... That Sain must have been faking or something. I just hope, one day, a true knight will come...
I know, right? That would be totally wonderful.
Heehee!
Sigh... You two never learn.

Death Dialogue posted:

Ahhh... W-Why do these ladies stare at me so coldly? Am I...really a nuisence? [sic] But I... I...

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 19, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

1234567890num posted:

Maiden Quest is a FE7 romhack made by Cedar, the same person who made Matthew's Nightmare. Based on his blurb:

Well, this seems very...unusual so far. Credit goes to Cedar for creativity as well, as I don't think I ever expected anything like this to exist.

Bookmarking this!

1234567890num posted:

*The sad music changes into cricket sounds*

:golfclap:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Ohmigosh!

Man, this thing must be old by now. Well, Matthew's Nightmare was a masterpiece of ridiculous troll levels, so i'm expecting this to be good. First chapter's promising so far! Here's hoping every chapter involves Sain almost getting a date and then loving it up in the most Sain manner possible.

...and yeah, this bit was good, too.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Sain is just so poetic. Those girls just couldn't even.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Ohmigosh!

Man, this thing must be old by now. Well, Matthew's Nightmare was a masterpiece of ridiculous troll levels, so i'm expecting this to be good. First chapter's promising so far! Here's hoping every chapter involves Sain almost getting a date and then loving it up in the most Sain manner possible.

...and yeah, this bit was good, too.

Yeah, it's like an old Ragefest hack. Ragefest is (was? I dunno) a hacking contest run by Markyjoe where people would make infuriating hacks for him to play. It... wasn't great, but it sure exists.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

located just south of the castle. He has frequented the town every day since his last visit two months ago.

Two months!? :psyduck:

Headed by the daughter of Delwin's mayor, Emily, they decide to launch a surprise attack on Sain.

Knight Commander Kent is sent to investigate the matter. Sain is blissfully ignorant of all this as he rides into town, his head filled with grand fantasies of love...and marriage.

The village is a complete, utter mess because of this silly knight of yours. YOu want to see the angry letters? the people are not happy about this! You must stop this now. Or our town will cease to pay its taxes, you hear?
I understand, sir. I apologize for the inconveniences this has caused you and your citizens.
Yes, yes. Just please solve this, quickly. I'm a busy man, you know. I can't be tangled up with any additional problems. Especially trivial affairs like these. Ah! There's still much paperwork to do... Excuse me, but I must retire upstairs. You deal with the problems your knight caused. I wash my hands of the matter.
Of course, sir. I will address this problem at once.

*The mayor leaves*

...... ...Sain.

The village girls here are too beautiful, too fair! How could I live on without basking in the glow of their radiant faces! Please! Come to me, my angels! Your noble knight, Sain, has returned! I bring you a sonnet inspired by your beauty, sung from the deepest depths of my heart!

:confuoot:

Eeep! It's him!

Nellie was the girl shown in the picture above.

*Nellie runs into this house*

I see... Thank you, Nellie. Tell the others to ready their weapons. We strike today.

...Weapons? :ohdear:

Right! *leaves*
..... Okay, girls. Let's move out. We've all trained hard for this day... Now it's finally time to teach that pig a lesson!

Silence! I've heard enough of your flattery, oaf!
Ah!
You are not welcome here. You never were. Now leave this village and never return. Or we women will deal with you ourselves! That's all I have to say to you.

*Emily flies away*

Ladies! Take your places! We've endured Sain's vexing tongue long enough! Drive him back! Knock him out! Let's rid Delwin of this lout!

:ohdear:

Woah... The ladies... They all have weapons! Yet, even in their rage... They are just as lovely-- Nay... far lovelier than ever before! Behold the burning passion that dances in their eyes! Like brilliant celestrial [sic] orbs of light, they shine with such splendid beauty! I cannot help but stand here speechlessly in awe as they draw closer...and closer! Come, my dearest angels! Smite me. I care not! Just please do not sent me away from your sights!

NOTE: Cutscenes and dialogue text will give useful hints for gameplay. Skip them at your own risk.

And with that, we're thrown into battle! Our objective is to defeat Emily (the boss).

I don't know why the poem have 8 Wt, but Sain's con is high enough to negate all of them. 5 uses is still very limiting, though.

Emily has gotten a significant upgrade. So has Shana and Nellie, but I won't bother showing their stats :effort:

What's interesting is that she uses the male aid formula while Shana and Nellie uses the female formula. It doesn't matter, but it's interesting nonetheless.

She also has gained some actual weapons :confuoot:

First order of business: Recruiting Kent.

Kent?!
...Sain.
W-What are you doing here?
I would ask you the same question myself... However, I came here to address...a very peculiar issue.
Huh? What issue?
I just spoke with the town's mayor. He claims a certain Caelin knight has been stirring up a great deal of trouble in his town by...pestering the village women.
P-Pestering, you say?
The mayor appealed to Caelin directly urging us to keep our men in check, though I have a good idea of who this troublesome knight is.
...Ulp. Y-You can't mean...
Yes, Sain. We're leaving.
But Kent... You don't understand! The lovely ladies... They're after me! They have weapons, Kent!

Pictured: Kent internally going :sigh:

Sain, this time you've truly gone too far! Perhaps, if I talk to them, they will allow us to leave.

The villagers, the right mage, and both Myrmidons are all new :ohdear:

No, that's fine. I'm just glad you all came. To be honest, I... Tsk. I hate to admit this. But... I've got the feeling that taking out this knight won't be so easy... At this point, we could use all the help we can get.
Heehee. Oh, is that so? Then you're in luck! We've improved our magic a lot, Emmy! Just like you asked!

You know the sprite is from FE6 based on the open mouth.

Sooooo... Should we, like, charge and attack him now?
No. Not now. Wait. Wait until he comes close. Then, rush him all at once! If you mages attack together, he'll have nowhere to hide. And he'll fall easy prey.
Oooh. Emmy, you're sooo smart! That plan's like totally legit!

I guess that 20 Cunning isn't just for show.

Mm. Just wait for my command.
Heehee. Yes, ma'am!

Well, that was worrying. But good thing we just get Kent!

...Who has very underwhelming damage :flaccid:

Oh. That's why :ms:. He'll get 3 EXP from a kill, so that damage won't improve anytime soon.

At least he's still tanky enough to take 0 damage from literally EVERYTHING except Light Rune Love Potion.

So we move on to the enemy phase, where Nellie and Shana attacks Kent.

Another perv! Eeep! Why can't you "knights" just leave us alone?!
Hey! Knight in red armor... You're with HIM, aren't you? Ugh...and I thought one "knight" was bad enough.

A total of 0 damage is dealt in these battles. How exciting.

Shana has one less Chm (not Cha) but two more Res, just enough for us to deal 0 damage against her.

Just like the dialogue implied, Kent can talk to the Pegasus Knights (named characters).

My apologies, ma'am... But would you allow me to speak?
Wha-what? Um... o-okay.
I am Kent, Knight Commander of the Caelin. I sincerely apologize for the recent actions of my comrade, Sain... I'm afraid he has no restraint when it comes to women..... If you could lower your weapons and allow me to escort him out of town, that would be much appreciated.
Oh... O-Of course, Sir Kent. Thank you. Thank you so much! I-I won't stand in your way. I'm leaving this fight right now!

Sain vs Nellie posted:

Nellie, my angel! Ahh... You appear quite flustered this morn...
Eeeeep! Stay away! You're gross! I... This is for all the girls in the village! Hiiya!
Ahh! W-Wait! Nellie!

This "defeats" Nellie, which lets Sain kill that Cavalier. That puts Sain in range of the myrmidon and archer shown in the picture.

:sweatdrop:

Sain can kill the myrmidons in one hit and the others in one round, but more Mus and Wit are always appreciated.

Sain can handle the physical enemies here (not counting Killer weapons), but those mages can be dangerous. That Res will definitely come in handy.

M-Must you point that lance at me, my sweet?
Sain... You should have never come back! Leave now or die!
Ahh!

I don't know why Shana targets Sain when Sain JUST gained the ability to deal one damage to her. I guess it's because she can actually damage him back? :shrug:

Getting critted twice and hit by both Shana and another Myrmidon is enough to kill Sain, but everything works out in the end :v:

Yeah, all of that happened in one turn.

Ma'am, please! If I could only have a word--
No! Listen, dude. I don't want none of your empty flattery. I've had enough from your friend, Sain!
I'm sorry... Sain is certainly a nuisance at times, I must admit... Please accept my sincerest apologies for his actions.
Wait, you... You aren't like him at all, are you?
No, not at all. Most people believe us to be polar opposites, actually... Please, allow me to escort Sain out of town. I assure you he will not be allowed to bother you again.
R-Right... That would be...very nice... Oh! Um, sir knight?
Yes, ma'am?
What-- May I ask you your name, sir knight?
Ah, forgive me for not introducing myself. I am Kent, Commander of the Caelin Knights.
C-Commander? Ahhh...
My apologies, ma'am, but I must be off. Sain appears to be...getting himself into trouble. Again. Sigh... *leaves*
....... Oooh wow... WOW. Could it really be...a real knight?! Ohmigosh! He's like sooo handsome. Like wow... I-I don't think I can fight anymore...

This "defeats" Shana. That archer is the only enemy left who's not near Emily, so we'll just take care of her real quick.

And to think that all their lovely eyes are affixed upon me! Oh! It makes my heart swoon with happiness! Come, dearest maidens! I await you-! *Cough* *Cough* Ah! What's...this? My throat is parched? I'm losing my voice?! B-Blast! How am I to confess my feelings of love without my voice?! This will never do... I-I must fix this! But how...? ........ Oh, I know! I'll just swing by the local tavern! A quick drink will surely clear everything up! Ha hah! Brilliant idea, Sain! Just brilliant!

Reinforcements started coming in, but they're really nothing to write home about.

Here, take this!

Got a Goddess icon.

There's another house north of this one. I parked Kent there after talking to Shana, but I completely forgot to actually visit it :doh:

That missed house posted:

Oh my! You look so tired! Please take this. Take it easy out there, okay?

Got a Vulnerary.

I'm not missing much.

The mages are the most threatening enemies here. They hit for 1/4 of Sain's HP, which is important when we only have 2 units.

The sappy poem can kill them in one hit, but you know, 5 uses...

I don't think Flame is in vanilla FE7. Oh, and before I forget...

Town Girl A village girl who tinks Sain's like totally annoying.

I'm giving the Goddess Icon to Sain, but that's not the important bit. The important bit is that I parked Sain in the pub I was going to visit next turn, only to forget actually visiting it :doh:

At least I didn't forget to visit the house north and west of this place.

All of them've been swingin' swords around for weeks... It's completely ridiculous! It's not like they're gonna march off to war anytime soon! Heck, you know what I think? They should get back into the kitchen where they belong! You seem like a reasonable young sport. Take this gold. I'm payin' you to get the women back in their homes. Do this old man a favor, hmm?

Got 1000 gold.

gently caress you :argh:

Welp.

Your friend's tryin' to woo a lady, eh? Give him this. It's my new love potion. A little whiff of this, and those lassies will fall head over heels. Heeheehee.

Got a Love Potion.

This is the house north of Emily. I'm still not going to use the Mine :colbert:

For some reason, there's thieves using assassin's sprites as reinforcements :shrug:

These levels aren't spectacular, but they're definitely good. Those Res will be especially useful shortly.

Anyway, by "close enough", apparently it means just left of where Kent is right now.

C'mon, girls! Let's catch them off guard! CHARGE!

At this point, all the villagers turn into mages. One of them have Fire and two others have Thunder while the rest have Flame.

If you're wondering: No, we can't kill those villagers before they turn to mages. The villagers have 19 Res, which is reduced to 5 when they "promote".

One Mus short... :(

They're more likely to go after Kent (who does 0 damage against them), I'm not going to take any chances.

While Sain kills the mages, Kent visits the final house.

you should give her one of my super awesome talismans! They're all beautiful, yes? Well, I made them myself! Go ahead. Take one for free!

Well, there's that point of Mus! ...That I got when there's only one left :saddowns:

Got a Talisman.

Would've been useful to have before this :mad:

None of these three will move, but Sain's chances against Emily isn't great.

Kent doesn't fare any better either. He can still talk to her, at least.

Hmm? Who are you?
Yes, allow me to introduce myself. I am Kent, Knight Commander of Caelin. I sincerely apologize for the actions of my comrade, Sain... I'm afraid he has no restraint when it comes to women.
Pfft. No kidding. Now tell me something new. What are you doing here, knight?
I am here to escort Sain out of town. Please ask your women to stand down so we might leave in peace. I assure you Sain will not cause any more trouble...
...No. I'm afraid I can't let him leave. Not yet... Not until he gets what he deserves.
Stand aside, knight. You seem reasonable enough. Why get involved in this pig's affairs? Once we're done with Sain, you can haul his body home. But if you dare interfere... I will cut you down also! I... I'm not afraid!
...You are the mayor's daughter, are you not? He described you as an innocent child...incapable of any malice. Does he know you are out here, fighting now?
......Hmphm! Don't you dare bring my father into this!

Welp. Guess we better get started killing Emily's assistants. While Kent go to the pub for my plan.

Unfortunately, that means Sain is in range for Emily's javelin.

W-Why...do you wish to drive me away?
Sain... You had your chance. If you refuse to leave, I will defeat you!
Ahhh, Darling! Y-You need not aim your lance... Your words alone have pierced my heart and soul! They will remain with me, forever branded in my memory!
Your voice, so strong, yet filled with flowing grace... The voice of a goddess! Even your harshest words are music to my ears, my love!
....... Enough. You-You... You...upset me! Ugh! Take this!

Kent vs Emily posted:

Anyone who sides with that Sain...is my enemy!

Well, that's the worst. Give him this fancy ale. It will cheer him up for a little while...

Got a Fancy Ale.

I got the reward anyway. Fancy Ale are reskinned Pure Water, which would've been very useful with all those mages... :saddowns:

Anyway, my plan. Since I don't think we're visiting this town again, I think we can sell the Club Pass.

We then buy the White Wine (Afa's Drops) to give to Sain. I don't know how useful this will be, but more growth rates can't hurt, right?

After that, all that's left is Emily.

This'll be a pain in the...hang on...

...Huh. I guess talking to Kent lowers her stats. Guess this won't be as bad as I thought.

You think hiding behind that tree will save you from my lance?! Ugh... You COWARD! I hate cowards like you!
Ahh! No, Emily! Please! I wasn't-- W-Wait! My love! Where are you going?
To a place where you cannot hide! Come face me if you have the nerve!

It would've been interesting if Emily can be instantly just by using the forest tile, but alas...

Uhhhg! I can't believe this! That Sain doesn't know when to give up! Pull back, girls! This man isn't worth the trouble... We'll just let my father take care of him... Retreat!

White Wine isn't making a good first impression :(

Thanks for helping me out there, Kent! I owe you one.
Please don't mention it... But, Sain, how many times must I remind you NOT to bother every woman you see?
You know the answer, Kent. I just can't help myself! How can I keep silent when every lady I meet is so...unspeakably beautiful!
You're hopeless. We should both be back at the castle by now. We were to help Lady Lyndis prepare for--
Ah! The reunion! H-How could I have forgotten?! All the lovely ladies from Lord Eliwood's campaign will be there!
Perhaps if you were less preoccupied with chasing women, and more focused on your duties, you would have remembered.
Pah, nevermind that. Kent! We must ride, quickly, to our fair Lyndis's side!
Yes, I concur--
Oh, Fiora, Rebecca, Serra, Priscilla! Has it really been one year?
Isadora, Florina, Louise, Ninian! It feels...more like an eternity since I saw them last! Farina, Nino, Vaida, Karla! I can't wait to see all their lovely faces once more!
Sain... I doubt all the womem you met from the war will come--
Oh, but they must! Hurry, Kent! Lyndis is waiting! We mustn't tarry! *leaves*
Yes, of course.

I'm sure this reunion will go well.

Death Dialogue posted:

Ahh... I-- I'm so...happy...
Ha...! He's lost consciousness. We did it, ladies! Nice work. Now... Time to teach this pig a lesson he'll never forget! Shave his head and dump him in the forest. Write "IDIOT" on his forehead. Do whatever it takes... I don't want to see his face in Delwin. Ever again! Is that clear?

Sain. My apologies, but I must withdraw... Lady Lyndis... She...
Ha! Say no more! Return to her side, Kent! Leave the rest to me!

Kent's death dialogue can be seen by using the Love Potion. Him dying won't cause a Game Over.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 19, 2020

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I find Low Stakes Emblem oddly charming. Sain works well as a pesky but harmless character. Although, it might have been funnier if you were playing as the villagers trying to drive him off...

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

preparations for the reunion. They earnestly look forward to meeting their companions from the war against Nergal one year ago, as well as to exchange recent news of Lycia's slow but steady recovery... Unfortunately, Sain has his own plans.

Soft, golden hair... Sapphire blue eyes... Surely, an angel descended from heaven! Such a divine creature could not be of this world! I must give this priestess of light a welcome befitting of all her loveliness and grace!

Hoo boy...

Hm? Who's there?

Your beauty has captivated me from afar! But up close... Oh! It smites my very heart!
But I--
Nay, please! No need to be modest, my dear! Your eyes--
H-Hold! That's enough. Sir Sain, was it?
Yes, that's right! It is I, your gallant knight, Sain!
Well, Sain... I'm afraid you are mistaken. I am no maiden. I am Lucius, a monk in the service of St. Elimine.
Wait... A mon--monk?! WHAT?! Then, you... Y-You are a...man? Surely, you jest!
No. I do not.
Oh... I... Er... Aaaahh... Hah... W-Well...then... Uh... P-Pardon me! *leaves*
...... What an odd fellow.

It's not immediately obvious, but we're out of the flashback now.

If anything like that ever happened again, I...I don't...
Sain!
W-Who-?

Hahaha. Did I startle you?
I-I didn't even hear you coming down the stairs!
Hahaha!
No really... You shouldn't creep up on people like that!
Sorry, it's a habit. A hidden archer is a safe archer! And a more effective one at that.
Pah. Just admit it, Wil. You're jealous of us real knights! We charge right into the center of the action, catching the eye of every lady happening to look our way! All the while, you sit in some bushes with your bow, all lonely and forgotten.

Remember when archers are basically just worse mages? :v:

Hey! To each his own. I'm happy being an archer, thank you very much! Besides, I didn't come down here for a debate. Lyn told me to find you and bring you to the main hall.
Ah, is that so?
What are you doing down here in the cellar anyway? Don't you know everyone's gonna be arriving soon, for the reunion?
Hah! Of course, silly! That's why I'm getting the wine! Every great party must have good wine!
Sure, but... Maybe you should let the serving maids take care of that?

We'll take it from here!
Oooh! Athera! Your smile is as charming and radiant as always!
Heehee.
You know, I've taken up singing lately. Please, allow this lowly knight to serenade you with his humble vo--
Uh. Sain... Come on. We should go! *leaves*
Oh. Yes, of course... Fare thee well, sweet Athera! Stay beautiful!
Sain!
I'm coming! *leaves*
Heehee. What a silly man.

Goodbye, the only woman who doesn't mind Sain's antics :wave:

:toot:

Sain and Will emerged from the stairs pictured.

Huh?
Might I have a quick word with you please? You see, one of my comrades wants to improve in his marksmanship.
Huh. Is that so...
Would you mind giving him some advice? He'd really appreciated [sic] it!
Well, sure! You can go ahead, Sain. Tell Lady Lyndis and Kent I'll be there in a jiffy.
Got it! I'm off!

Thank you. It's almost mid-day. Everyone should be arriving soon...

Ah, that anxious look...were you waiting for me?
Yes, but wher--
Never fret, my dear! Your loyal knight, Sain, will ever stand by your side!
Yeah, Sain, I know... But where's Wil?
He'll be joining us shortly, of course!
Lady Lyndis! The guests are beginning to arrive!
The guests?! Oooh! I can't wait!
Sain, please try to restrain yourself. I believe Lady Lyndis should be the first to welcome our guests... It would be improper if you rushed out to greet anyone just yet.
Ah. Well, I suppose...you're right...

Ostia! Oh, at last I will see Serra and Florina again! ...And Lord Hector, Oswin, and Matthew as well! Come, Lady Lyndis! Come, Kent! Let's give them all a flourishing welcome!

Permission to speak, sirs?
Yes, what is it?
There is something I must show you both, sirs. If you would follow me...
Yes, of course.
Ahhh...but the--
Sain.
Yeah, I know, I know. I'm coming with you!
Milady, you need not wait on us. Please go and greet our guests. We will join you as soon as this matter is settled.
Right. Thank you, Kent.

*The men leaves while Lyn goes to the front*

Florina! *hugs her* It's so good to see you again! How's Ostia?
Oh, it's nice... Everyone's been so kind to me. But I still missed you so much!

But you obviously wouldn't forget me!
Of course not, Serra. And Matthew, I'm glad you could make it too. But where is--?
Lord Hector? He couldn't make it. The young master's got his hands full preparing to succeed his brother as the next marquess. To tell the truth, I don't think I've seen him more busy in his life!
I see. That's too bad.

Lady Lyn, it is an honor to meet you again!

Ninian, , Nino, Lowen, Harken, Isadora! It's wonderful to see you too! But Eliwood...
Lord Eliwood is busy preparing for the ceremony of ascension.
He asked us to escort Lady Ninian here in his place.

apologizes for his absence and wishes everyone the best. He really wanted to come, to see everyone's faces again...
And he will, soon enough. We'll all see him at his ceremony of ascension, right?
Ah, yes. He would be so pleased if everyone came!

Well met, Lady Lyn.

Well met, Lady Lyn. It certainly has been a while since our last gathering...

Yes, it's so nice to see all of you here! But I'm curious... Where is Lord Pent?
Pent went on a personal expedition... He said he found something interesting written in Athos's final works that he wanted to investigate. He hasn't come back, but I'm sure he's faring just fine.

Sir Rath and Sir Guy of Sacae! And--

She said she'd be here! Karla? KARLA!
Sir! Hold! Who are y-?
Bah! Old man! You're getting in my way! *Pushes the servant away*
Ooof!
KARLA?!

Seems like we still have several people unaccounted for, but oh well.

Well met!

So... How've you been?

How's your husband?

Karla! KARLA! Rrr. Where is that woman?!

.png[/img]Hmm... Where could he be?

And here he comes.

Truly, it has been too long since I last basked in your lovliness!
.png[/img]Oh. Hello, Sain... Actually...I'm looking for--

.png[/img]Wil! Where were you? You promised you'd come back home to Pharae!

I'm pretty sure it's Pherae, not Pharae.

It's been far too long!
Oh. Sain. ...We meet again.
But of course! It must be fate! Clearly, it is our destiny to be--
Excuse me, but where is Kent?

It's been a while since we saw each other last. I am glad to see you well.
Yes, it has been...quite a while.

I love how the other characters are also moving around :allears:

Oh. Hello, Sir Sain.
Oooh! Is that a smile I see? To behold your face so alight with joy...! How dazzling! Marvelous!
Pray, tell me what is the source of this splendid happiness?!
Sir Sain, I just got engaged to my lord Erk.
W-What?! I-I mean, that's wonderful! Ah, what happy news! Congratulations to the both of you!
Thank you, Sain. As you said, I am...so very happy.
Erk, you are a lucky man!
Yes, I know.
Uh... Well, then! I must be off!

As shameless as Sain is, at least he's above breaking up relationships.

Oh. Hello, Sain. Have you met my husband, Harken?
Yes, I've met-- H-Husband?!
Hahaha. You seem surprised.
In a couple months, we're going to celebrate our first aniversary! [sic]
Ahh...
Is something the matter, Sain? You look a bit pale...
No. No, it's nothing! I am happy...for the both of you!

has it truly been a year since I saw you last? It feels like it's been centuries!
Ah! Hello, Sain... Uh, how are you?
I feel great! Nay! More than great! To be able to speak with you once more is such a delight! And you, my dear? How are you feeling this fine afternoon?
I'm...nervous.
Nervous? Ah, alas! Pray, tell me what is troubling you, so that I might ease your nerves!
Well...uh. You see... It's just... Soon, H-Hecor and I... We're, uh, getting married.

I'd put a trigger warning for shipping, but Cedar already did that back when we start the game :v:

Gwwaahhh!
Is...something wrong?
Oh. No, no! It's just...I'm in shock! To think that the Florina I met two and a half years ago would get married!
Yes... T-That's what everyone says.
Lord H-Hector, huh? Are you...happy with him?
Mmhm... I am.
Ah. Then... I-I am happy for you as well! Congratulations!
Thank you, Sain...

Huh?
Hey you! Have you seen Karla?
Alas, I have not! Why do you ask?
Bah! Its because I got this shiny new ring for her!
!!!
I want to ask her to marry me! But she's not here. Gwrraaah! No! She must be here somewhere! KARLA?! *leaves*
Ahh... Even Bartre...?! I feel so... ...... Blast! This calls for desperate measures! Surely, there's someone who returns my affection! There must be someone out there for-!

W-Woah! Farina! Could it be...!
Oh. It's you... Where's Kent? It's not like I want to talk to him or anything... He's not my type, you know?
Yes, I must agree! Perhaps you should stay with me instead!
Uh, no. Sorry, Sain. But you are DEFINITELY not my type. See ya.
No wait! Farina! Please don't go! I--
Wha-? HEY! Don't touch me! *smacks Sain*

He's awake! Ready the arms!

Hello, Sain... You're annoying.
: All of us have been waiting for this day...
Now we're finally going to get rid of you!
W-What did you say?!
You heard right! We made all the men leave the castle, so we could deal with you ourselves!
Wait... H-Hold on! Where did they go?

We have the finest selection of spirits in all of Lycia! Our fancy ale is beyond compare! Our blue wine is imported straight from Etruria-- The best in all Elibe! Come, have a drink! Be merry here, friend!

I've nev'r been bwested in a dwrinking competishion in my rife! Bwring it, frwend!
......Done.
Twenty shots, and both still going strong...
Dang... They must be inhuman...
Bwaahaha! Dis is no'hing! I wan a rweal challwenge! Where's dat whisky?! Gimme dat! *glugg glugg*
No wait! Bartre, not the whole bottle!
......Idiot.
Ooooh... I dun't fweel... *collapses*
Bartre? Bartre?! What the...he actually passed out?!
Heh heh. You know what that means... Raven wins by default. Fork over the gold.
Awh man. But I thought Bartre would win for sure! It's only because he chugged that entire bottle--
Too bad. We agreed the first one to pass out loses. A bet's a bet, you know...
Blast...
So who's up this time? Hey, Wil. How about you go against Rath here.

I don't know, man. Something tells me that silent types can hold their liquour.
Oh yeah... What about Kent over there? Just a couple forced drinks down his throat, and he's--

:allears:

Yeah...
Priceless.

Does it really matter? They won't be returning any time soon. Luckily for you, we still need to discuss the details of your punishment...
P-Punishment?!
That's right. You're going to pay for your womanizing ways!
But--!
Savor what little time you have. We'll be back for you once we've made our decision.
Good bye, Sain!
No, wait! Ahhhh!

*Lyn and Serra leave the room*

Got it!

*The women split up*

T-This isn't right! I...I've got to get out of here! But how...? That's it! The cellar! There was a door key down there last time I checked. I should fetch that. Fast!

Welp. Tune in next update, where we fight every single female members of our army.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 25, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That sure went in a direction there. I didn't expect everyone to turn against Sain, geez.

Also you have a rebecca and a villager9 instead of head sprites.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

It's like Dishonored where you expect a betrayal or two but don't expect EVERYONE to turn against you.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

All right, time to beat up flirt to our former allies.

Serenade is our ranged attack. It's going to be much more useful than our Sappy Poem, especially considering it has thrice as many uses.

There's a door in our way and we can't reach anyone, so let's do what Sain said and visit the cellar.

Hmm. Here's some wine and ale... But no door key... Huh. That's strange. I could have sworn I saw a door key just a moment ago! ...Maybe I should just try opening the door without one. It could be unlocked!

At least we got 2 Red Wines and a Fancy Ale to replace our Vulneraries. All of them are going to be very helpful.

And yes, the door IS unlocked. For some reason. :bravo:

Oh, what do you know! The door's unlocked! Perhaps all the other doors and chests are unlocked as well!
EEEEK!
Oh no! Sain opened the door! Quick, Florina! Go warn the others! I'll deal with Sain!

Florina? What's wrong?
It's Sain! He's escaped! He actually OPENED the door!
WHAAT?!
No! IMPOSSIBLE!
Ladies, hear me! Now is not the time to panic! Our mission is to stop Sain, and eliminate him! Lyn, Florina, Priscilla. Guard the castle entrance, make sure he doesn't escape! Everyone else, follow me!
Except me... I'll guard the treasure!

*Everyone move to their battle positions*

*ALMOST everyone*

What is it, Serra?
I got a new warp staff! Check this out!

Oh no, I'm having Matthew's Nightmare flashback!!! :stonk:

...Is what I would say if I actually played Matthew's Nightmare

We, the maid servants of Castle Caelin, are here to help get rid of Sain! Though we cannot wield any weapons, we can still demoralize him with our icy stares! Does this please you, milady?
Yes, thank you. We could use all the help we can get.

Lucius?! You came back!
My apologies, Lady Lyndis. The pub...everyone's gone mad...had I stayed any longer... Blessed Elimine, I fear to think of what might have ensued.
But if I may ask... Why are your weapons drawn? Has there been an attack?
Lady Lyn... It's fine. You can tell him.
...Well. To be completely honest, Lucius, we're disposing of Sain.
P-Pardon?
We women just don't want to deal with him any more. He's such a nuissence... [sic] Besides, the world would be better off with one less womanizer on the loose...wouldn't you agree?
Well...yes. I suppose so.
Then, please join us. We'd appreciate your aid.

Poor Lucius. Away from one insanity and into another :smith:

And with that, it's time for the Enemy Phase.

This chapter reuses a map from Vanilla FE7. To summarize the battle positions:
  • Throne room: Serra, Ninian, Isadora
  • Near cellar: Nino, Fiora
  • "Prison": Rebecca, Louise
  • Front gate: Lyn, Florina, Priscilla, Lucius
  • Treasure room: Farina
There's no dancer enemy AI in this game (unlike FE5/FEH), so Ninian is effectively just a stronger Maid. She even has a (useless) Nini's Grace.

W-Whoah! Rebecca, my love! I--
Enough! I've had enough of you and your silly lies!
L-Lies? Ahh...my love! W-When did I ever lie to you? Surely--
You're unbelievable! Don't you remember that one day you gave me flowers, and said I was the sweetest girl in all Elibe?
Ah, yes, of course! I remember that day as if it were yesterday! And I meant every word I said, my darling!
Oh, is that right? That same day, I caught you reciting poetry to Fiora... Surely you remember that as well...
Ah! I... I d-don't recall--
Sain, you shameless pig! You're going down!

Yes, Rebecca has a ballista. It only deals 3 damage, though.

You hurt Rebecca's feelings! And annoyed Lyn! How could you be so mean!
B-But Nino, my darl--
Stop trying to sweet-talk me! I'm already taken!
What? You too?! B-By who?!

Nino deals 10 damage, which is a big deal.

Ah... I-I have a bad feeling about this. Maybe I should shut the door...just to be safe!

This isn't entirely accurate. To open/close the door, we just have to do an action in next to it. Any action will do.

Also, to make sure you're paying attention, you shouldn't open the upper right chest... However, the upper left chest contains something useful.

...Yeah, we REALLY don't want to mess with Jaffar.

We drink the Fancy Ale, equip Serenade, and close the door. This'll let us at least plink at Nino.

Ahh... E-Enough... I-I...can't fight anymore.

This was totally planned :smug:

Serenade (and Sappy Poem) uses the same animation as Woo :effort:

Jaffar?!
Nino.
Ah... You came all the way out here for me? But I thought it wasn't safe--
...I promised to always remain by your side. I intend to keep that promise.
Oh... Jaffar... Thank you! I'm done here, so let's go home!

*Jaffar leaves*

But wait, there's more! I did say we're fighting every single female.

Hm? Oh, it's you. ...Vaida, was it?
Hmph! Insolent girl! You promised we'd fight after the war, but you disappeared! You know how infurated [sic] that made me?!
Oh. I'm sorry...
Shut up! Now that you're here, I'll tear you to shreads! Draw your blade, cur! I've been waiting a whole year for this!

Cedar probably meant "shreds" there, but apparently shreads is considered by some to be an actual word. The more you know...

...As you wish.

We'll let them do their thing for a while.

With Jaffar gone, we can safely open the door and let the ladies come to us.

Ah...dearest Serra! I...I don't understand! W-Why do you say so?
Well... Not only do you flirt with every girl you see... But also...your hair...is...just...gross! And that color... Eww. It completely clashes with my gorgeous pink hair! If we got married, Saint Elimine forbid-- My children would have puke-colored hair! And that's...not...going to happen! Ever!

Yeah...that's kind of a bad match.

Unless you were a rich noble, which you aren't so... Stay away from meeeee!
Ahhh...

Serra (and Ninian) has Icy Glare but no animation. Guess Cedar only bothered making its animation for the villager/maid class.

Serra, just like in actual FE7, has poo poo magic. Sain only takes one damage from her :cawg:

Meanwhile...

You got lucky, wench! This time, I will hit! I will stab my lance deep into your heart!

We'll let them work this out themselves, while we work things out with Serra.

Ooh! Why me? This is SO annoying!

Serra dying creates a space for Ninian to attack Sain.

Sain. I...I will never forgive you.
N-Never forgive me? F-For what?
Have you so quickly forgotten? Nils told me he traveled with you two years ago... You dragged him along everywhere you went just to draw attention from the women around you...
Ah...
And you taught him all your womanizing ways! Sometimes, I'm afraid to imagine what Nils is doing beyond the dragon's gate... What if he is courting every woman he meets...?
B-But...! That is a good thing, is it not?
No, Sain... You shattered his innocence. I will never forgive you for that!
Ahhh!

Ninian deals 7 damage (I forgot if Fancy Ale is still in effect here), but Sain one-shots her.

Ah... I'm sorry... I can...stand no more...of this... Lord Eliwood...

We heal up to prepare for the maids and Isadora on Enemy Phase.

Oh yeah, the maids. There are plenty of them (and more through reinforcements) and they deal 3 damage each. They give no EXP, but a pure water is enough to completely neutralize them for several turns. Good thing I gave Sain that Talisman last chapter.

You... It's about time we got rid of you. You are a shame to all the knights of Lycia!
Ah... S-Shame?! B-But... I am a true knight of Caelin! I serve my land and my liege with all the passion and loyalty of my heart! Surely, I am the perfect model of a Lycian knight!
No, Sain. You are far from it. Your conduct around women is completely unacceptable, both on and off the battlefield. You are an idiot and a scoundrel. Nothing more.
Ah... What cruel jest is this... Dame Isadora, I beg of you--
Enough words. Come! Ready your lance if you have one. Let us spar now... For the last time!

Isadora decides to wield a Steel Axe since it deals the most damage (8), but her poo poo con causes her to get doubled. Sain came so close to one-rounding her...

harken... Where are you? I... I can't stand this scoundrel...

Isadora is a promoted enemy, so she gives a lot of EXP. That said, I'm not really impressed with White Wine right now...

Anyway, after defeating Isadora, we FINALLY get out of our starting room. And straight into Fiora's range.

On my honor as an Illian knight, I will defeat you!
Ulp! Fiora, oh lovely one! W-Why must you do this? What have I done to deserve such cruel treatment? I...I am so confused!
It is because your behavior is simply unacceptable! You know nothing of self-restraint... You endanger and bring shame to everyone around you... It deeply disturbs me that a fool like you could even become a knight in the first place! Kent is superior to you in every way!
N-No... It's not true!

Fiora deals the same amount of damage as Isadora. I don't know if this is because Fiora is good or because Isadora is poo poo. (It's probably the latter :ssh: )

We do one-round her, though.

No...I cannot...take any more of this. Florina... Farina... I am sorry...

With all enemies on this side of the castle gone, we can grab the treasure in the upper left room.

...or maybe not.

What are YOU doing in the women's sitting room!
The wha--?
This room is restricted to ladies only, you perv! But you knew that, didn't you?
!?!
Ahhhhhh! Help, help! There's a perv in the woman's [sic] siting room! *flees*
Ahh! No, w-wait! Milady! Oh...I'm so confused...! This... Since when was this the ladies' sitting room?

:iiam:

This looks threatening, but nothing a bottle of Fancy Ale can't handle. Now to see what's inside the chest...

Oh... :sweatdrop:

It gives us a useless item. Great.

OR it could give us FOUR useless items. Amazing :troll:

Good thing I made a savestate before opening that chest. The other chest just contains a Red Wine.

Oh yeah, these two are still duking it out.

Hm?
You're holding back!
Grrr! How dare you understimate [sic] my power! You will suffer for this!

And that's the last round of combat between them. I'm pretty sure these are scripted.

As we move on to the lower part of the castle, more reinforcements appear. This time they're not maids.

I've always wanted to give that lout a piece of my mind. At last, that time has come! Ladies! Charge! Let us show him the true fury of the Caelin knights!
Ah! Those weapons... Those ladies actually want to kill me! I must hide! Quickly!

I'm pretty sure this is triggered when we're close enough to the left door. We just have to go through it to flee these reinforcements.

And we do want to flee, because we're NOT going to go up against a Horseslayer.

Lily A captain of the Caelin Knights. NOT fond of her subcommander.

And we DEFINITELY don't want to go against Lily.

...Yeah. Make sure to close the door and not get in range of that sage.

At least we got another level from killing the cavaliers on the other side of the castle :toot:

We're using our final shot of Fancy Ale for this. I never used them in any actual FE game, so using them liberally here feels kind of weird.

Y-You... You wish to slay me as well?!
Sain... At first I thought you were merely a strange man... But then, I hard you had plotted to kill Pent...to have me.
No! Never! T-That... That's not true!
Even if that is so... I've been told all the grievances you caused other women in our army... You toy with their hearts like it's your right... I will not let you continue to do this with impunity!

Louise deal 11 damage, which actually makes her the most threatening enemy around (that we can deal with). She's also somehow durable enough not to die in one round.

Forgive me, ladies. I'm afraid I cannot take much more of this... I'm sorry.

She's also promoted, which means she gives a lot of EXP.

...I could've sworn that EVERYONE was promoted when we met them earlier :thunk:

Uhf... That's it! I can't take it anymore.

We also finally get rid of Rebecca. She has a Longbow, which is why we couldn't just Serenade her.

The chest in the room contains yet another Red Wine, by the way.

A lot more reinforcements came in, but they're nothing we can't deal with.

And that's Mus capped :toot:

Lyn is tied in power with Louise due to Mani Katti's effective damage and Wind Sword targeting Res.

Also, for some reason the description for Wind Sword is glitched. Opening it causes a visual glitch somewhere else (around Lyn's sprite in this case).

That's all reinforcements dealt with, so all that's left are the named characters (and Lily's group).

None of these 4 people move, so let's begin Wooing them.

Soft, golden hair... Sapphire blue eyes... Surely, an angel descended from heaven!
Dearest angel! Your beauty captivated me from afar! But up close... Oh! It smites my very heart!

Sain one-shots Lucius, just like the combat forecast said.

Ugh. H-Hold! That's enough. Sain, have you so quickly forgotten who I am?
Ah, my dearest! Have we met? What a cad I am! To forget such a face as lovely as yours, I--
My name is Lucius.
Oh, Luci--Lucius! Ahhhh, No! NO! N-NOT AGAIN! W-What have I done!?! How did I not--?! his... This is...

And then Sain dies of shame. Guess Lucius is the one who one-shots Sain after all. This takes the "Lucius is a trap" meme to a whole new level

Change of plans, then. Guess we'll go after Farina and the treasure room first.

soldier: No, ma'am. We lost him.
Blast! Killing scum isn't worth this much trouble. I'm leaving. Ladies, retreat!

That takes care of Lily and her gang. Guess she's too stupid to open a door

Oh. Hello, Sain. I guess this is the end for you.
No, please! Spare me, lovely Farina! I'll do anything!
Anything, huh? Well...If you pay me 20,000 gold, I'll consider helping you escape.

"Consider" being the keyword here.

Ah... I don't have that much money.
Hmph. In that case, prepare to die, scum.
Ah!

We barely even scrounged up 5k last chapter. How are we supposed to get anywhere close to 20k?

...:fuckoff:

Bah... Why am I not getting paid to do this... I'm leaving...

The left chest contains even more Red Wine. The right, however...

I have a bad feeling for next chapter... :ohdear:

Eeeek! Stay away!
B-But... Florina! I thought I didn't scare you anymore!
T-That's...not t-true. I...I just...c-couldn't get away... Y-You keep c-cornering me... and s-smiling...like that... I...I could...n-never get any peace...k-knowing you w-were...

:stonk:

Ah... But I--
Eeep! Stay b-back! P-Please... J-Just leave me alone!

Sain crits Florina.

Eeep! I-I'm so sorry, Lyn... I...I c-can't stay here any longer...

White Wine!!!

Like I said, attacking Florina puts us in Wind Sword range.

Have I ever failed in my duties to you? Surely, I have remained a trustworthy knight!
Yes... I cannot deny your worth as a knight. However, your obsession with ladies has always been an embarrassment to me.
Ahhh... But--
As the wind blows one way and then the other, so you are with women. You must be the most fickle man I've ever met. It disgusts me... That is why you must die today!
No, wait! Lady Lyndis! P-Please, I can explain!

I just remembered that this screen exists. I am not a fast FE player :sweatdrop:

Wind Sword (1-range) is more dangerous than Mani Katti (by 1 Atk). I don't know if Mani Katti is too weak, Sain's Res is too low, or his Inv is too high.

Ugh. This is too much. I can't take this anymore. I will leave...for now. But by Mother Earth and Father Sky, I will be back, Sain. And it will be my blade that strikes you down! I swear it.

P-Princess Priscilla! Not you as well!
I-I'm sorry, Sain. But I must... Your actions have scarred the hearts of innocents... I have...no choice but to oppose you. I'm sorry...

Priscilla only has a Psychic (that she never uses). Guess she's just too pure to go against Sain.

No...No more... Raymond, my brother... My lord Erk... Where...are you?
Lady Priscilla! Is something wrong? You look quite flustered.
Lucius... I'm sorry. I cannot remain here any longer. Would you take me to lord Erk and my brother? I wish to be by their sides.
...Oh. But Priscilla, they--
I care not where they are. Please...take me to them...
....... Very well, milady. Follow me.

Sorry, Lucius :sadwave:

Well, only two more people left.

What a sublime delight to see you both again!
Grr! What was that noise?! It ruined my concentration! That knight... I will lob off his head!

...Make that four people.

You look even more dazzling than when I last saw you!
Hm?
The way you stand there...so gallantly in the midday light... Why, you have the graceful bearings of a true princess!
...I'm sorry, knight. But...what was your name again?
It is Sain, my dear! That's S-A-I-N! Sain, brave knight of Caelin!
I see...
Oh lovely Karla... Might I ask you a question? Pray, answer me truly!
Yes. What is it?
Do you...love Bartre?
Bartre? Yes...I do. I wish to marry him.
Ah! B-But why? Bartre... He is a rough and wild man! Methinks a lovely princess like yourself should marry someone...more worthy of your affection. Perhaps, this knight would make an acceptable suitor?
Sain...I'm sorry. But Bartre is a better man than you could ever be.

:owned:

Whaaa!?! Karla, surely you jest!
I do not. I will defend the honor of my future husband... Prepare yourself, Sain.

Vaida actually gets a special boss music.

Grrah! It's YOU! How dare you interrupt your our duel! Craven fool! Now you'll pay! I'll skewer my lance through your head, and feed your bloody scraps to Umbriel!
Ahhhh!

You two stopped duelling 30 turns ago!

Well, that duel reduced Vaida and Karla's HP, so they're easy to kill.

Ugh! How infuriating! Squashing this bug isn't worth the trouble! Umbriel, we're leaving! I can't stand it any longer!

Hm. I got...distracted. Bartre... I must find him.

Aaand that's everyone. Good job, Sain! :confuoot:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Those pairings are all wrong :rant: i'm going to sue

(except Nino and Jaffar. That can stay.)

Oh my god. This is the dumbest hack :allears:

And of course Serra has the best priorities.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

vilkacis posted:

Those pairings are all wrong :rant: i'm going to sue

Seriously. Who would put Bartre with Karla?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
epic.... love a good joke about traps.... hate to respect trans people

e: anyone here a gamer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lucius isn't trans? Hes just an effeminate looking dude. This is intsys, if he were biologically female they'd have him wearing thigh high boots in his concept art