Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
All this parrot tongue chat is the perfect excuse to post my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Au9CQEcC28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Veritas posted:

Also, he smells like watermelon.

Hmmm, so it's not just budgies.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

All this parrot tongue chat is the perfect excuse to post my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Au9CQEcC28
This bird and Marnie and Bowie make an IRN way too tempting someday when I'm ready for another bird

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Shark Sandwich posted:

the only hyacinth macaw I've met asked to pick it up so I did and it ripped two buttons off my coat before hopping back to its perch and asking for scritches

birds.txt :parrot:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Tendai posted:

This bird and Marnie and Bowie make an IRN way too tempting someday when I'm ready for another bird

I know! But every bird store employee I've ever spoken with says they are flighty and tempermental.

I'll have to solve the riddle myself, someday. Marnie is basically a living cartoon.

- Serra the cockatiel got a green toy that she has been destroying. I'm trying really hard to get a picture of her green beak. :3:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Not only was Nicky fine with my parents staying with her over our honeymoon, she was basically my dad's best friend. We got photos of her on his lap getting head rubs, which she was even willing to walk out into the living room on her own to get (also, she really wanted to get at a bag of chips in the living room, which helps there. She did not get any). She was a little grumpy at us when we got home for being gone so long, but that only lasted all of a half hour or so before everything was back to normal. Vest is off, she's stomping around getting head rubs and begging for bits of toast, all is well in the world.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

budgies.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

subpar anachronism posted:

.... The place seems really nice and has aviary time and fresh food and birdie baking every day ...

Please tell me that aviary time is a magazine or a TV channel by and for birds.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Not only was Nicky fine with my parents staying with her over our honeymoon, she was basically my dad's best friend. We got photos of her on his lap getting head rubs, which she was even willing to walk out into the living room on her own to get (also, she really wanted to get at a bag of chips in the living room, which helps there. She did not get any). She was a little grumpy at us when we got home for being gone so long, but that only lasted all of a half hour or so before everything was back to normal. Vest is off, she's stomping around getting head rubs and begging for bits of toast, all is well in the world.

I'm so glad! Hopefully she continues to be ok when you guys head out. I know plucking of that degree is so hard to get stopped. Yay Nicky!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Shirec posted:

I'm so glad! Hopefully she continues to be ok when you guys head out. I know plucking of that degree is so hard to get stopped. Yay Nicky!

We're already back now. Her issue wasn't so much plucking as it was that her skin got very dry this past winter and she drew blood scratching herself and panicked, injuring herself pretty badly. By now it's just a scar, and life is returned to normal.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm gonna crosspost from the selfie thread because I can't get over Charlie's excited face :allears:

he's seen me take selfies with Ama on my shoulder many times but this is the first time he's been included and he was so stoked. also it was hard to get the picture because having my face too close to either bird meant it would start getting kisses :downs: (Ama is the worse offender but not by much).

this is my life now.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

theHUNGERian posted:

Please tell me that aviary time is a magazine or a TV channel by and for birds.

https://twitter.com/ProBirdRights/status/879840865740480513?s=20

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm gonna crosspost from the selfie thread because I can't get over Charlie's excited face :allears:

he's seen me take selfies with Ama on my shoulder many times but this is the first time he's been included and he was so stoked. also it was hard to get the picture because having my face too close to either bird meant it would start getting kisses :downs: (Ama is the worse offender but not by much).

this is my life now.

Ah, so cute!! Ama just peeking out, and I totally know that Charlie face (my Nanday Kiwi makes those kind all the time)

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

We're already back now. Her issue wasn't so much plucking as it was that her skin got very dry this past winter and she drew blood scratching herself and panicked, injuring herself pretty badly. By now it's just a scar, and life is returned to normal.

Oh I meant future vacations, my bad for being unclear. I didn't even think of the dry skin problem.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

this is my life now.
Your life is adorable :3:

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

So precious... :h:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

this is my life now.

If I had a cool Ankh necklace, Serra would certainly steal it.

I'm proud of your birbs self control!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lol: the first night I allowed Charlie on my shoulder he promptly chewed through the silver cord it hangs on. I was quite cross but it's not like he knew any better and I should have been more aware of what his beak was up to, I'm used to Ama's tiny green cheek beak.

I replaced the cord and he has been very good about not eating my jewelry since then!

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Tito's beak is currently red and so are the feathers right below it, since he found the raspberries on the counter. He also likes sweet potatoes.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

this is my life now.

Charlie is SO STOKED he gets to participate :3:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I feel like if all the pellets I bought ended up inside a bird instead of on the floor, I'd buy only half as much. It's such a waste.

Meanwhile, Sera went through a phase last year where he'd only eat after dumping all his food on the floor of his cage so he could scratch around like a chicken. The dummy.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Really how are you serving those pellets? I feel like at most 20% go to waste here. I have a flat surface as "table" or "plate" next to the bowl, and a backsplash on the eating surface. Both birds have learned to crush the pellets against the surface, and it makes most of each pellet stay in place.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

green cheek beak.

this is my new band name

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I find giving a shallower amount of pellets (ie on a plate instead of a bowl or x quantity in a large bowl instead of the same amount in a smaller bowl) makes birb less likely to fling it everywhere, though some flinging still happens. The vet reckons it's a foraging behaviour and if you mix in stuff for them to dig through it cuts it down further. He recommends the paper pellet type cat litter mixed in slowly over a period of time, but other bird-safe but inedible things like shredded paper, safe gumnuts, large wooden beads, etc can be used for foraging.

Mine are too dopey to figure out even very simple foraging toys but they appreciate having stuff to dig through to find tasty pellets. I'm convinced that they try to bathe in their pellets though.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Interesting idea. Something to think about when I'm doing the new cage set up.

Package tracking is assuring me YEAH IT'LL BE HERE MONDAY while also showing it's still sitting in Ontario on the other side of the country, so we'll see.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I used to have big chunky pellets for Boop when I first got her and then spotted some little ones, because she would crunch into the middle of one and most of it would fly in opposite directions. Once she got over the tantrum of her food being a different colour, she can't get enough. I have very little problem with pellet mess as excess falls back into her food dish and it's so tasty, she'll scrape the dust off the bottom as it nears empty.

I think she's the only case of green cheek that doesn't want to throw her food around.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/AGEEGuc.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/DvZlXTr.mp4

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 10, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
HENLO Serra says a hi. It's Serra Sunday! She got a green toy this week. Can you tell?

Here is toy! (Perch made by my pops, excuse the mess, I'm moving and unable to work due to mah' legs. So Ebay time!)

WHAT IS?! WHAT IS?!

Ooooooh fluffy scritch time!

Now I just need to convince her that it's OK to ride on my walker. :3:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Has anyone ever heard of this? Person tweeting works with parrots and retweeted by bird life

https://twitter.com/JoannaBergerMSc/status/1005862752697675776

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I mean, I guess it's like those big metal balls you can get to keep your dog from eating so quickly they puke.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
My vet thinks marbles are good for mixing with food for foraging. It gives them something to focus their brain on and simulates foraging behaviour in the wild. If you have a brainy bird you can work them up to more complex foraging toys but paper pellets/marbles/shredded paper/shell grit mixed with food is a good first step.

Obviously you have to make sure you don't have a Really Dumb Bird who tries to eat a marble, realises it is inedible, then sits sadly in front of the bowl of food and marbles because obviously it is ALL inedible, guess I'll die now. When introducing new foraging toys or material you have to make sure you're weighing them and checking their crop frequently.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton and Galbedir, despite my efforts, are too dopey to figure out foraging toys more complex than a paper cup with a paper "lid" on full of sunnies. They get lots of origami boxes and balloons to chew open.

E: I got a little egg shaped foraging toy of clear plastic on a little axle that lets it spin around. Bird sees sunnies or fruit bits inside the egg, sees that sunnies come out when egg spins, sees it can make egg spin by bonking it, and hopefully puts that all together to figure out if they spin the egg they get sunnies. Galbedir can see the sunnies and knows that spinny egg makes sunnies come out. He's also figured it it's movable. He sits in front of it staring very hard at the egg and you can see the gears turning inside his tiny brain. He hasn't quite figured it out yet but he is using all his brain muscles to solve the conundrum.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 11, 2018

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The body language slays me :lol:

the lights come on and he's all WHOA! still can't believe that works. so weird

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Molting Mondays?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He even looks mildly impressed at the output

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Shirec posted:

Has anyone ever heard of this? Person tweeting works with parrots and retweeted by bird life

https://twitter.com/JoannaBergerMSc/status/1005862752697675776

It’s a common method, and you’ve probably seen birds do it even with food trays without marbles - in that case, it’s just the seeds they don’t prefer that they fling around to get to the good bits :sun:

Incidentally, adding stuff to sort through tends to reduce how much food is flung around as well, both because they’re typically heavier and also the increased stimulation/time taken to eat reduces boredom time.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Giving my bird the ability to pick up and toss something heavy enough to break a window sounds troubling.

Mostly because my birds are jackasses.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

Giving my bird the ability to pick up and toss something heavy enough to break a window sounds troubling.

Mostly because my all birds are jackasses.

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Bird crazies, I need your advice. I’ve gotten a job offer that will land me in either Houston or NYC. I don’t know anything about what it would be like to have parrots (Nanday and GCC) in that area.

Does anyone have any experience? I imagine it’s insanely hard to get roommates with parrots as well