Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra the cockatiel refuses to bite anyone with any force. But she is discovering that my pushover father it terrified of being bitten. I've more than once walked into the living room to find her perched on his knee, hissing at his finger while he says, "Step UP! STEP UP! Come on...UP!"

It's pretty funny to see your father get bossed around by the living embodiment of a cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

Serra the cockatiel refuses to bite anyone with any force. But she is discovering that my pushover father it terrified of being bitten. I've more than once walked into the living room to find her perched on his knee, hissing at his finger while he says, "Step UP! STEP UP! Come on...UP!"

It's pretty funny to see your father get bossed around by the living embodiment of a cartoon.

My dad’s female cockatiel was like this. She was incapable of or refused to do any damage, so her indignant squawks, posturing, and bashing her face against fingers were funny instead of threatening.

It didn’t stop my mom from being terrified of her. The bird was harmless, so it was like someone getting bullied by a stuffed animal.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7oKbU8Zq_c

If only they were always this polite.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The post-bath Senegal

so noble

:qq: "WHY?"

Mizuti posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7oKbU8Zq_c

If only they were always this polite.

When he tries to offer a finger to one around the three minute mark, you can see the wheels turning over whether it should bite him.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

My dad’s female cockatiel was like this. She was incapable of or refused to do any damage, so her indignant squawks, posturing, and bashing her face against fingers were funny instead of threatening.

It didn’t stop my mom from being terrified of her. The bird was harmless, so it was like someone getting bullied by a stuffed animal.

My Sera is a big flirt and loves any new person he meets (with the exception of my old roommate who he hated). A while back my mom came over to drop some things off, and he kept flying to her shoulder to sing to her. Mom was terrified and trying to cower from a tiny bird on her shoulder, and I was laughing too hard to be much help, I admit.

Meanwhile, Ozzy has evidently decided he likes the new cage so much he is never coming out again. Well. Okay.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
His owner's voice annoys me but goddamn Buttons is a national treasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DtOZB2vPs8

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

My Sera is a big flirt and loves any new person he meets (with the exception of my old roommate who he hated). A while back my mom came over to drop some things off, and he kept flying to her shoulder to sing to her. Mom was terrified and trying to cower from a tiny bird on her shoulder, and I was laughing too hard to be much help, I admit.

Meanwhile, Ozzy has evidently decided he likes the new cage so much he is never coming out again. Well. Okay.

This has been a baffling thing to me as well! My father, the animal hater, is more terrified of them than hateful. But sweetheart Wandy the old passed cockatiel I had would fly across a room to get to him! She would actually hiss at me when I tried to take her back! Normally she would hiss at people trying to take her from me!

Bird don't smell worth a god drat. Do they recognise facial features?! Hell if I know.

All three birds had a group night fright last night. That was...fun.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tendai posted:

His owner's voice annoys me but goddamn Buttons is a national treasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DtOZB2vPs8

i am having one of those weird cultural clash moments watching this

i have never used a salad spinner in my life (or even seen one) and who cuts up their salad?! just shovel the leaves into your face like a giraffe its loving great

a cracker?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

GoldStandardConure posted:

i am having one of those weird cultural clash moments watching this

i have never used a salad spinner in my life (or even seen one) and who cuts up their salad?! just shovel the leaves into your face like a giraffe its loving great

a cracker?

In the US most salads (in restaurants) use salad mix, which always comes chopped up. Even if it isn't, guests at a restaurant normally expect it with anything but spinach.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Did somebody say spinach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCBINTkT57I

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You're not supposed to just fill a kiddie pool with it and roll around? poo poo, I've been doing this all wrong

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I have never, and will never, eat a salad. :colbert:

No, I'm not overweight. I was raised by an evangelical fundamentalist mother who literally believed salt and pepper were tools of the devil. OHHHH how I wish I was joking.

Anyways, most salads ordered in restaurants are hysterically simple and I don't understand why people would pay fifteen bucks for them, outside of being vegetarian. Even then, there are more savoury options.

Like Corb -

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Indian cuisine does some impressive vegetarian food, doesn't necessarily have to be spicy but it sure will be flavorful. If I had to give up meat for whatever reason I'd probably be fine. Dairy on the other hand, you can pry the cheese out of my cold dead hands.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

redgubbinz posted:

Indian cuisine does some impressive vegetarian food, doesn't necessarily have to be spicy but it sure will be flavorful. If I had to give up meat for whatever reason I'd probably be fine. Dairy on the other hand, you can pry the cheese out of my cold dead hands.

Gordon Ramsay, one of the three holy deities I follow, crowned a veggie restaurant in the UK as the runner up to best place in England. He loathes veggie food. But Jesus Christ I've gotta go there next time I visit.

For me, it's meat. I try to avoid eating chicken because I think eggs make more sense than two cooked breasts, but I pretty comfortable with cows and pigs being eaten. They live well up until the end.

But Christ on a crutch I'm not thinking of America Farms as a shining example of humane treatment of livestock.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Captain Log posted:

Gordon Ramsay, one of the three holy deities I follow, crowned a veggie restaurant in the UK as the runner up to best place in England. He loathes veggie food. But Jesus Christ I've gotta go there next time I visit.

Who are the other 2?

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
Took another weekend trip to visit the bird today. We got the DNA test done and it's a young male. :allears: After some house debate, his name is Dr. Brad Kepler, Ancient Aliens Astronaut Theorist.

This is only our second visit but it's amazing how different he is. He's super chatty and active, interested in actual solid foods, and is ultra pissed about his first wing clip. We've asked the staff to help us acclimate him to the harness early and took him outside to explore for the first time. He's a champ.

Please excuse my fluffy dandelion hair. Its only saving grace is how much he likes to play in it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dr Kepler is a very handsome young man :kimchi:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

he is perfect

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Beelerzebub posted:

Who are the other 2?

James Spader, Gordon Ramsay, and Hunter S. Thompson.

I've had nicknames related to all three and I greatly enjoy their work.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's one hell of a threesome

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Edit: I find it funny because it reminds me of the Emu war wiki entry.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 18, 2018

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Captain Log posted:

two cooked breasts
i have been summoned

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

this broken hill posted:

i have been summoned

wouldn't they be baked?

:birddrugs:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
It's Serra Sunday...and it's her hatchday!

Here, have some chew toys for treats. Cool, turn them into a perch. You have big balls. Bird-a-flague activate!

HI!

Birthday Cake Time!

:3:

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

GoldStandardConure posted:

wouldn't they be baked?

:birddrugs:
not at the moment :(

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I'm $1600 down and no closer to figuring out what is wrong with Crouton gently caress my life gently caress everything I'm just going to rehome her and kill myself

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
crows no :( :sympathy:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

It's Serra Sunday...and it's her hatchday!

Here, have some chew toys for treats. Cool, turn them into a perch. You have big balls. Bird-a-flague activate!

HI!

Birthday Cake Time!

:3:

Happy hatchday Serra! That is a very smug tiel face :kimchi:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I have eaten too much food and whined at my friend who came over and decided to not kill myself today

Crouton has been murdering the bottle brushes I borrowed from uni. I'm not sure how much nectar there would be in them but she enjoyed pulling the fronds off to weave into the Big Ball Of Sticks and to line an empty capsicum bowl.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Is it normal for a bird to not care about or like other birds? Tito doesn't like my brother's 'tiel, like at all. Doesn't even want to be near her.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Veritas posted:

Is it normal for a bird to not care about or like other birds? Tito doesn't like my brother's 'tiel, like at all. Doesn't even want to be near her.

It's almost like the bird doesn't like a screaming car alarm warking near it.

Birds like things and they don't like things. My Senegal loved mini tomatoes but not huge tomato slices .

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I have eaten too much food and whined at my friend who came over and decided to not kill myself today

Crouton has been murdering the bottle brushes I borrowed from uni. I'm not sure how much nectar there would be in them but she enjoyed pulling the fronds off to weave into the Big Ball Of Sticks and to line an empty capsicum bowl.

Don't kill yourself! PM me if you need to vent by phone or text, I'm game!

Also, doing Serra's first one year checkup at home I've discovered something...

I've created a fat little bird.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Goodness. I always think of cockatiels being so little, didn't realize average adult weight was a good chunk more than my teeny gcc.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton is in bird hospital for bird surgery. Getting wedge biopsies. I will pick her up the evening of the day after tomorrow. Galbedir is beeping frantically and clanging doors looking for his friend :smith:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Crouton is in bird hospital for bird surgery. Getting wedge biopsies. I will pick her up the evening of the day after tomorrow. Galbedir is beeping frantically and clanging doors looking for his friend :smith:

Good luck Crouton!

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
I got a question. I'm probably getting a green cheek conure in autumn (I'm super stoked!). However, I also have a ton of houseplants, at least half of them are sort of poisonous (googled around when I got my finches). Do the plants have to go out of my living room once the conure is in house?
My finches are flying freely when I'm at home and that's working fine. They're not interested in the plants at all (they're mostly scared of the plants for some reason???). How do conures deal with stuff they shouldn't be eating?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

How do conures deal with stuff they shouldn't be eating?

by trying to eat it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

How do conures deal with stuff they shouldn't be eating?
By eating it, almost dying, and costing you $700

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Pig the budgie now lives in my shirt if i'm standing up. If i'm sitting down it's the worst thing ever and he must escape immediately.

I've found out the lady 4 doors down feeds the birds about 1000 times as much as I do, so instead of a piece of apple she's tossing out a bucket or two of seed every aftrenoon. Ducks, rosellas, galahs, magpies, and currawongs, along with the few misc natives. The currawongs are moving in now, there might even be more of them than the corellas, likely seasonal but maybe they've just muscled out the food source. No corellas come near the houses anymore. A weird afternoon if you don't see 200+ currawongs lining the gutters having a drink and just generally complaining. This mostly drives the budgie insane. Also me, as evidenced by my posting.

I'm going to start stockpiling water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Halloween Jack posted:

By eating it, almost dying, and costing you $700

Hmm!! :S