Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Barao was a big crazy upset but I don't know if that and Mike Easton and Joe Soto are enough to really make you FOTY material. Story of the year, upset of the year or whatever else sure. But there's soooooooo many other people who had a big year, they just didn't take a belt off of a Nova Uniao marquee name on short notice. Very impressive and I wouldn't cry if he was nominated but I'd cry if he won.

Edit: And imho if you get taken into the 5th round by a guy who was at Tachi Palace Fights literally a few weeks before, that should be a minus for your FOTY case not a plus.
Edit2: If DomCruz continued to not exist I would hella watch a rematch between him and Dodson

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
ah yes my ufo experiences and lost time have nothing to do with all my concussions that i am always complaining about, in fact hershel walker, a man who has never had any issues with head trauma, experiences the same thing

who is neil magny

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Barao was a big crazy upset but I don't know if that and Mike Easton and Joe Soto are enough to really make you FOTY material.

If this gets you FOTY then just give it to the loving bathtub.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Make it two for one and include the bathtub that can stand the trauma of Ben Rothwell after a day of workouts.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

John Romero posted:

ah yes my ufo experiences and lost time have nothing to do with all my concussions that i am always complaining about, in fact hershel walker, a man who has never had any issues with head trauma, experiences the same thing

who is neil magny

2014's fighter of the year

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Sacrebleu! When I went to bed it was 10 and now it is 7! What kind of sorcery is this?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Bluedeanie posted:

If Hunt wins his shot, does he steal Fighter of the Year from TJ Dillashaw (or does Neil Magny still have a chance to steal that title in December)?

It's less that Neil Magny is fighter of the year 2014, and more that 2014 is year of the fighter Neil Magny

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
if hunt wins a loving title then "of the year" is much too narrow in scope

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

DoombatINC posted:

It's less that Neil Magny is fighter of the year 2014, and more that 2014 is year of the fighter Neil Magny

World philosophers just crossed out "this too shall pass" and scribbled this in as the most truth you can stuff into a single sentence.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

This.

Has to be Cerrone imo

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I remember a guy in a bar insisting that Shogun should have been fighter of the year in 2011

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

John Romero posted:

who is neil magny

Get aout

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
cain's going to be the new shogun and in a few years he'll get tapped by shawn jordan

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Oddly enough the person I always compare cain to is prime shogun (pride era)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Anderson "The Spider" Silva - "A promoter called to ask what to use as my nickname and it was the first thing I saw in my hut"

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson - "I asked a gypsy with a crystal ball to look into my future and select a nickname based off of their vision"

Andersons nickname was literally" spiderman" because he likes spider man. He was already the joke, no chaeling necessary. They changed it to the spider in the UFC to distract from his mj like voice and dance moves.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I always assumed that it was an "8 limbs" thing.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Andersons nickname was literally" spiderman" because he likes spider man. He was already the joke, no chaeling necessary. They changed it to the spider in the UFC to distract from his mj like voice and dance moves.

I really think the UFC should have done more to play up the fact that the best fighter in the world was literally an 8 year old.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

cain's going to be the new shogun and in a few years he'll get decisioned by Soa Palelei

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Wife: Don't go after this guy! I know how angry you get... you're all hot.

Me: No (flexing science gloves) I'm doing this... In Cold Blood.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Rusty Hobby Lob vs Danny Castillo at UFC 182

Ok, that's probably going to feature Danny getting suplexed a whole bunch, so I'm Down For That

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
all alpha males must die

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

that fight was announced forever ago, unless it got moved? gently caress u danny castillo get dropped on you head

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

If Hunt wins his shot, does he steal Fighter of the Year from TJ Dillashaw (or does Neil Magny still have a chance to steal that title in December)?

I'll lose my mind if hunt wins so let's not focus on that but neil magny should get best win streak or some other award, not fighter of the year

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mewse posted:

I'll lose my mind if hunt wins so let's not focus on that but neil magny should get best win streak or some other award, not fighter of the year

Even if he goes 6-0? To be honest I'm kinda torn on it, too. When he was at 3-0 and 4-0 it was funny because the fights were so bad. He hasn't fought anyone good, but 5-0 (let alone 6-0) in a year is :stare: no matter who you're fighting. Even accepting that sixth fight is pretty impressive because it shows what kind of shape he was in leaving the cage, too. Everything about Neil Magny says fighter of the year, except Neil Magny himself.

Who are the other candidates? And what are the basic criteria for a "Fighter of the Year"? I guess it would be activity, performance, and level of competition. Popularity should be added too, I guess. Magny only has one of the three cinched.

-Cerrone is 4-0 against higher-level competition, 5-0 over the last 12 months, but he has (pretty much) done that once before. -TJ produced some pretty impressive performances at the top of his division, but he doesn't get those sweet PPV buys like Neil Magny.
-Rousey only fought twice, but her toughest-available opponents lasted a combined 1:22, and she seems to make money for the UFC 'n stuff.

Ronda Rousey will probably get named Fighter of the Year even though she hasn't fought since February or whatever.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'm reading an article on how fighters got their nicknames...

Johny Hendricks explains the origin of his nickname and why his name Johny is spelled with one “n” and his nickname “Bigg Rigg” is spelled with two g’s : " My real name is John, and in middle school, I just added the y because everybody’s name was John. But by the time I wanted to change it back to John, everyone in the wrestling world already knew me as Johny. The nickname came because I drive an F350; I pulled up to go to practice one day and a guy said, ‘That looks like a big rig.’ And beforehand Marc Laimon, my jiu-jitsu coach, said I hit like a Mack truck, so the nickname was born. (on the double g’s) I was playing World of Warcraft and big rig was already taken so I did bigg rigg and it worked. That’s how we got the spelling."

Donald Cerrone on how he got the nickname "Cowboy" : "I wear boots and a hat”

Also Showeather has got to be the most retarded name ever.

tj whattaburger

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Alliance To End Alpha Male Mania.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

coconono posted:

The Alliance To End Alpha Male Mania.

This should be the thread title for the Cruz vs. Dillashaw card.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
norman parke vs jorge masvidal and uriah hall vs costas philippou added to boston card, going to this poo poo

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

lmao 2 squash matches from joe silva (pbuh)

edit: why hasn't Masvidal ever fought Josh Thomson? That seems like it'd be a hell of a fight.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

edit: why hasn't Masvidal ever fought Josh Thomson? That seems like it'd be a hell of a fight.

Considering the ratio of time Thomson spends injured to non-injured, it's statistically unusual for anyone to have fought Josh Thomson.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
in the last 7 years josh thomson has fought 8 non-gilberts melendez

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

I can't figure out how either of these is really a squash match at all.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Norman Parke and Uriah Hall aren't very good, Masvidal and Phillippou have favorable styles here.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
How is Costa's style favorable in that match up, he's a dude who likes to stand and punch and kick versus Hall, a man who when not afflicted by Dummy Brain, is very good at punch and kick

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
if you were planning on betting on uncle creepy or picking him in brazil, might be a bad idea

https://sqor.com/posts/f9a30069-5e4a-4788-b5a7-bc24d256a9fb

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Uriah Hall has Brandon Vera levels of tentativeness in a fight and also has horrible fight IQ.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

if you were planning on betting on uncle creepy or picking him in brazil, might be a bad idea

https://sqor.com/posts/f9a30069-5e4a-4788-b5a7-bc24d256a9fb

I assume this IV was prescribed by Yoshizo Machida, M.D.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

Uriah Hall has Brandon Vera levels of tentativeness in a fight and also has horrible fight IQ.

Costa had to cheat horribly to barely win the first time they fought. He's no takedown threat at all and has pretty limited striking. I'd call it a pretty even matchup, given that Hall isn't a bad striker when he can bring himself to fight.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

UFC NOV: Short notice fight for hiking up shorts champion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Hall v Philippou a squash match? What the gently caress. Maybe Philippou should be the favorite but not too sure about even that.

• Locked thread