Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Randalor posted:

So if I was interesting in getting an Elegoo Mars 2, something like these would be worth picking up as well?

Also, is the Elegoo Mars 2 a good budget resin printer? Looking around online it seems to have good reviews and seems a good "entry level" printer. I just want something I can print out minis for tabletop games and small craft related stuff for my wife.

I'd just get the Mars 2 pro which has a built-in air flow system. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F7L945C/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_R39JAREQDEMNG2GFZ6RR

Depending on how much you spend time in the area, and how open it is, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're going to be watching TV next to it, then maybe. A lot of the resin these days don't even smell very much. The IPA is a lot stronger TBQH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I have a buddy who has a Mars 2 pro and I was really impressed with it. Thinking of getting one myself, actually.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

I'd just get the Mars 2 pro which has a built-in air flow system. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F7L945C/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_R39JAREQDEMNG2GFZ6RR

Depending on how much you spend time in the area, and how open it is, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're going to be watching TV next to it, then maybe. A lot of the resin these days don't even smell very much. The IPA is a lot stronger TBQH.

The resin smell is one factor, but I think the real unknown risks are in the gasses given off during curing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

It's a good printer. If your worried about fumes grab a decent air purifier and set it up in a seperate space from where you hang out

Doctor Zero posted:

My Ender 3 is set up in my dad's old workshop in the basement, and I was going to make room for the resin printer there as well. Usually I'm only in there to check on the printers, or if I need to quickly grab something. The room itself has pegboard walls, so it's not exactly a sealed space even when the door is closed.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I got CF-PEEK printed in my basement :woop:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Does anyone have experience with a good Matte Black PLA? I've been using Hatchbox's black, but the shininess is getting old.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Randalor posted:

I'm thinking about getting a resin printer, but I don't have any vent system in the area I'm thinking of installing it at the moment. Should I try to tie it in to the ductwork in the basement that vents to the outside but goes through a heat recovery system, or should I just get some dryer vent tubing, and make an insert to put into the basement window whenever I plan on using the resin printer?

I've been using Elegoo Eco resin in my den without any filters or external ventilation and I can't smell it unless I'm right in front of it. It is a large room with a lot of natural ventilation though, so ymmv.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Bondematt posted:

Does anyone have experience with a good Matte Black PLA? I've been using Hatchbox's black, but the shininess is getting old.

Overture matte PLA is pretty dope.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Bondematt posted:

Have you tried some different temperature profiles? I've gotten some differences in finish, especially in black, by varying the temperature a few degrees in either direction. Typically, it's hotter = shinier, but ymmv.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I'm madly in love with my Sonic Mini 4k. It's looking like I'm going to have a pretty big chunk of disposable income from some contract work and was thinking of getting a larger format resin machine. The Sonic Mighty has an 8k upgrade right? Any good competition or superior machines out there?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

insta posted:

Neat, thanks. Just ordered a roll

AlexDeGruven posted:

Have you tried some different temperature profiles? I've gotten some differences in finish, especially in black, by varying the temperature a few degrees in either direction. Typically, it's hotter = shinier, but ymmv.

I have. I print at about 190 and it looks duller than 220, but still pretty shiny.

Edit: Now watch me hate matte looking prints by the end of this roll.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 10, 2021

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

insta posted:

Impressive! What printer and build surface did you use? I played with the unfilled PEEK but had major warping issues. I would expect the cf fill to help with that quite a bit.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

insta posted:

Voron buddy!

Did mine on an enclosed ender 3 in abs+

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Moochewmoo posted:

So I'm madly in love with my Sonic Mini 4k. It's looking like I'm going to have a pretty big chunk of disposable income from some contract work and was thinking of getting a larger format resin machine. The Sonic Mighty has an 8k upgrade right? Any good competition or superior machines out there?

The mighty is an 8k machine, I think. It's also the cheapest to overall size comparison. Still pricy but not horrible. About a grand cheaper than the phenom xl with shipping I think. Should start shipping in August or September?

Downside is they are using the chitubox encoded board, but honestly that doesn't bug me as much as some people cause I pretty much only used chitu as a slicer anyway.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

ZincBoy posted:

Impressive! What printer and build surface did you use? I played with the unfilled PEEK but had major warping issues. I would expect the cf fill to help with that quite a bit.

Carbon Fiber + VisionMiner goo on a Funmat HT

CF helps, but the machine is kinda built to do it.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

Voron buddy!

Did mine on an enclosed ender 3 in abs+

it's for some guys on the discord, i dunno why they wanted to convert lots of money into little parts but hey

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Randalor posted:

I'm thinking about getting a resin printer, but I don't have any vent system in the area I'm thinking of installing it at the moment. Should I try to tie it in to the ductwork in the basement that vents to the outside but goes through a heat recovery system, or should I just get some dryer vent tubing, and make an insert to put into the basement window whenever I plan on using the resin printer?

You don't *need* ventilation, probably, but honestly it's 100% worth doing if you can reasonably do so, especially an extraction-style vent that just yeets everything outdoors. I know the fumes from some resins in summer heat get bad enough that I almost shuttered my printer earlier this summer, and I'm still planning on doing a fairly intense recirculating air filter grafted onto the side of an improved, more air-tight enclosure than the stock Mars Pro comes with. And that printer comes stock with improved enclosure gaskets and improved air filtration, too- doesn't always cut it, especially if this is in your living area. The once-through filtration of the 'improved' Elegoo printers doesn't really do poo poo, ime, for a single carbon filter to do much it needs to recirculate continuously to compensate for the meagre scrubbing ability with a single pass. Also note that I have no windows in the room the printer is in so it's on the not-ideal end of the spectrum.
It's probably ok, but if you don't have to gently caress around with a constant VOC-emitting device in your home, that's ideal. Even if the smell doesn't bother you, the peace-of-mind factor re: long-term health outcomes is always worth it.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 10, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

insta posted:

It is! I just discovered this myself. What are your settings, though? I've been using the middle of the temp ranges, but the models seem to be a lot less sturdy than other PLA.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

insta posted:

Carbon Fiber + VisionMiner goo on a Funmat HT

CF helps, but the machine is kinda built to do it.

Ah, that explains it. I came to the conclusion that a heated build chamber would be needed. The Funmat HT looks to be a good solution. We bought one at work but I haven’t been able to play with it yet due to covid.

How do you find it as a printer?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Over on r/3dprinting someone posted about his project of making the lightest buttplug ever. Why you might ask? He's going on a long bike trip and needs to save weight. But for some reason needs to have sextoys on the trip. :psypop:

Also, I'm currently/finally rebuilding my Voron 2 and am stuck because I forgot to order 4x1 Molex male connectors. :argh:

And dear god are FEP insulated cables expensive as gently caress (it's a similar formulation to PTFE). I paid 90€ for the wiring of that thing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Over on r/3dprinting someone posted about his project of making the lightest buttplug ever. Why you might ask? He's going on a long bike trip and needs to save weight. But for some reason needs to have sextoys on the trip. :psypop:

Also, I'm currently/finally rebuilding my Voron 2 and am stuck because I forgot to order 4x1 Molex male connectors. :argh:

And dear god are FEP insulated cables expensive as gently caress (it's a similar formulation to PTFE). I paid 90€ for the wiring of that thing.

I don't think there are body safe filaments, and even if, I wouldn't want the flared base to do layer separation.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

ZincBoy posted:

Ah, that explains it. I came to the conclusion that a heated build chamber would be needed. The Funmat HT looks to be a good solution. We bought one at work but I haven’t been able to play with it yet due to covid.

How do you find it as a printer?

It is not as capable as it says on the box.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

I don't think there are body safe filaments, and even if, I wouldn't want the flared base to do layer separation.
Apparently there's an epoxied carbon tube in there to prevent that.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Combat Pretzel posted:

SEKCobra posted:

"catastrophic buttplug failure while solo biking the remote appalachian trail" sure is... definitely some sort of mad mibs, just not sure which

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I mean here's to the guy trying to cut down on weight for a cycle trip though. Dudes got his priorities and knows what he wants

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 11, 2021

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Can you link to the thread? I have to read this train wreck and I can't seem to find the magic keywords in the search box. I have a friend that works in the emergency department, and she's forever regaling me of stories of people and the weird poo poo they do for sexual pleasure, that she's often having to sort out after the moment.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

On the topic of 3d printed sex toys, here’s a guide on how to do it quickly and safely!

https://www.billieruben.info/post/3d-printing-sex-toys-a-quick-easy-and-safe-method

She also has a 3d printed sex toy discord that’s pretty rad.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

that subscription fee for chitubox pro is still extremely lol for sth for hobbyists. i can’t see them sticking with that forever, i just doubt they’ll get the subscription numbers they’re probably hoping for.

Oof, USD$169 per year per device/operating system.. That's pretty steep

Deviant posted:

What do people think of water washable resins? Babysitting this huge container of IPA is a chore.

I love them - I switched to using them exclusively. Having a gigantic tub of IPA sucked, esp when I upgraded the giant version of the Anycubic wash/cure station

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

snail posted:

Can you link to the thread? I have to read this train wreck and I can't seem to find the magic keywords in the search box. I have a friend that works in the emergency department, and she's forever regaling me of stories of people and the weird poo poo they do for sexual pleasure, that she's often having to sort out after the moment.
https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/oi5w6u/3d_printed_carbon_fibre_reinforced_ultralight/

Relevant posts:

quote:

Need to lose the grams bike packing. An alloy equivalent plug is 160grams FFS. This iteration 2. Ill get it sub 18g.

quote:

On a multi day bike packing trip you dont want to have to carry amy excess weight. Or leave the toys at home. This is the lightest buttplug you can get. A regular alloy plug is 8× heavier for reference.

One might think he's trolling, like some people think in that thread, but he posted this to r/bicycletouring and r/bicyclecirclejerk, too, and seems generally a rider according to his post history. So YMMV.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gonna save up for one of the biocompatible Stratasys printers to 3D print ultralight sex toys

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Tbh i see no reason why you couldn’t make an ultralight sex toy- the catch is that you’re gonna need to use the standard body-safe materials and manufacturing methods to make the final toy, p much no matter how you slice it. use the printer to make your master or to directly print molds, cast the toy from RTV silicone, same as ever.
i’m imagining something like a mostly-hollow silicone toy, an outer shell supported by internal ribs/trusses with mostly air in the toy’s internal volume, if you used a stiffer silicone than is typical with solid toys you could probably get comparable firmness, with an intriguing opportunity for anisotropic stiffness/firmness created by different internal rib configurations… if you cast the shell and internal truss segments as separate and combined them upon assembly, casting would be enormously simplified down to conventional solid toy-tier complexity…

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Combat Pretzel posted:

quote:

Need to lose the grams bike packing. An alloy equivalent plug is 160grams FFS. This iteration 2. Ill get it sub 18g.

quote:

On a multi day bike packing trip you dont want to have to carry amy excess weight. Or leave the toys at home. This is the lightest buttplug you can get. A regular alloy plug is 8× heavier for reference.

That's literally a half cup of water in weight. If they're dragging dozens of them around sure, but one?

I wonder if that plural in the quote is actually plural.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Whips out my collapsible aluminum camping vibrator

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

snail posted:

That's literally a half cup of water in weight. If they're dragging dozens of them around sure, but one?

ultralight gear people are weird, this is comparatively normal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

snail posted:

some of these backpack camping people will do stuff like cut off the handle of their toothbrush, only bring the head and a little stub, to save 10 grams.

if he's gonna bring a buttplug, it had drat well better be a hollow titanium spaceframe

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

snail posted:

Reading the thread, the author does mention plural at one point.

I mean, parts I print generally have excellent layer adhesion, cracking on face edges well before coming apart between layers, but one commenter at least had it spot on.

quote:

I would not trust this with my butt

I agree with another person that this should become a standard measure of layer adhesion strength.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

snail posted:

Reading the thread, the author does mention plural at one point.

I mean, parts I print generally have excellent layer adhesion, cracking on face edges well before coming apart between layers, but one commenter at least had it spot on.

I agree with another person that this should become a standard measure of layer adhesion strength.

The BTI: Butt Trust Index

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I'm sure it's merely so he doesn't have to go to the bathroom on long treks.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't think that works the way you think it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I don't miss those 65oz of bowels as carbon fiber 3d printed nanotubes drain my stoma into the wind.