Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The move is to dive backwards or sideways, John Woo movie style, while shooting the missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

John Woo Bonus for shooting and blowing it's head off as you're leaping backward through the air when it's charging at you.

edit: holy poo poo lol

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Archimago posted:

What neuromancy spell did he use to get him to stand still for that long?

I’m not sure why it stopped short, but running perpendicular to it usually makes it turn to line up a charge, which is why I dove to the side.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Zwabu posted:

The move is to dive backwards or sideways, John Woo movie style, while shooting the missile.

the real move is to stand your ground and get crushed by the corpse

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Twice today this game has not only crashed, but shut down my PS5 and put it into console storage recovery mode. Awesome.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Devlan Mud posted:

Twice today this game has not only crashed, but shut down my PS5 and put it into console storage recovery mode. Awesome.

I played a set last night where every player in the party crashed at least once at some point through the three mission campaign. One player was legit unable to rejoin the lobby even after like 5-10 mins of retrying. Game is still incredible but the jank can be comically bad.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Grimnarsson posted:

Goddamn had an experience of a real traitor! They joined just as we were leaving and then we had to legitimately fight them. And they were very much equipped to fight other helldivers! And get this, his name was something, I don't recall the first part but like "bob_the_traitor", it was definitely starting with "B". At that point reinforcing is pretty risky so thankfully I just got him just as he was diving into his shield bubble after he killed the other two. And then back at the destroyer he says "imma gonna get you another time" and saluted. It felt pretty sporting at that time but only because I just by the skin of my teeth managed to deny them his victory.

Extracting is toxic and you deserved this
:goonsay:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The flame thrower mission made me realize how much it just melts chargers. It's beautiful :allears:.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i maintain that the flamethrower should be able to close bug holes by shooting directly into one point blank, and also when you do that, fire should shoot out of the two nearest bug holes as well.

i always take it on destroy hatcheries missions because roasting the eggs with it is just so goddamn atmospheric

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I feel like I’m doing something wrong with the flame thrower on chargers, they take like a whole tank to go down and I have to dodge a couple times. Am I just spoiled by EAT headshots and this counts as “fast”? I don’t have the fire ship upgrade yet.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I feel like I’m doing something wrong with the flame thrower on chargers, they take like a whole tank to go down and I have to dodge a couple times. Am I just spoiled by EAT headshots and this counts as “fast”? I don’t have the fire ship upgrade yet.

You want to use the flamethrower on a single charger leg, not on the head or body

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Focus on one leg. Focusing on the head doesn't work for unclear reasons since they have the same armor and durability.

Actually now that I think about it the fact that it ignores the removable leg armor is probably technically a bug, since the flamethrower only has AP3. Certainly a good bug though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 19, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Chargers die instantly when their head is exploded or a leg is destroyed. Focus your fire on one leg and it'll die in about half a tank.

They also bleed out and die about 5 seconds after you rip their butt open with explosives, or after their side gets torn apart by a drop pod landing on them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Seen a few keep trucking along with their side opened, I’m assuming some other weapon finished yours off by hitting their squishy guts

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Phenotype posted:

Man, I really gotta go back and play all the weapons they've buffed over the last few months. I found a random flamethrower on a bug 7 last night, and since I didn't have a support weapon besides EATs, I tried it out for a bit. Holy poo poo bro! It deals with armored bugs and chargers without any fancy positioning or penetration weapons, and it actually kills stuff fast enough that you don't feel like they're just tanking the fire and biting you anyway. Also the fire effect looks fuckin gorgeous on a 4080s, which is a nice plus too.

Sick to my stomach that I bought the level 4 upgrade that lowers the spread of barrages the other day, I'm still like 80 rare samples short of buying the 25% fire damage upgrade which is like holy poo poo it gets even better?

Yeah i was playing with a flamethrower and it's excellent, particularly now you have a few seconds to dive if you accidentally catch fire.

I also really like the rapid fire smg (steeled veterans?), on burst mode it does work.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sebmojo posted:

I also really like the rapid fire smg (steeled veterans?)

Knight SMG is from the Super Citizen pack

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
oooough god I hate people confidently spreading misinformation

no, weapons do not have "unlisted crit spot multipliers like AMR", they just have higher damage to durable parts

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

LazyMaybe posted:

oooough god I hate people confidently spreading misinformation

no, weapons do not have "unlisted crit spot multipliers like AMR", they just have higher damage to durable parts

I'm familiar with this but how does it explain the way the laser cannon kills tank/turret vents faster than anything else in the game? It has very little durable damage so those parts are clearly not Durable, so why don't other weapons with higher dps kill them even faster than the laser cannon

I'm guessing there's a lot about damage calculations that even the people doing all the testing don't understand, because it's all based on assumptions being made based on observable ttk

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 19, 2024

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm familiar with this but how does it explain the way the laser cannon kills tank/turret vents faster than anything else in the game? It has very little durable damage so those parts are clearly not Durable, so why don't other weapons with higher dps kill them even faster than the laser cannon

I'm guessing there's a lot about damage calculations that even the people doing all the testing don't understand, because it's all based on assumptions being made based on observable ttk

The gently caress are you talking about it has "very little durability damage"? It does 200 durable damage a second, with damage ticks applied every millisecond. Autocannon has 260 + 150 durable damage per shot, while AMR has 135 per shot. AC and AMR can absolutely dumpster vents faster than the Laser Cannon, and I have killed a turret vent in less than a second when I'm at point blank range, it's just the recoil means you're effectively having roughly the same DPS given you have to wait for the reticle to settle enough if you're not humping your target.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 19, 2024

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I think I can count on one hand the number of chargers I’ve seen killed by shooting the Butt. It’s just not practical unless your entire team has somehow taken no anti armor support weapons or stratagems. If all four of you are really wrangling chargers with auto cannons, impacts, and grenade launchers you’re in for a real poo poo time when a Bile Titan shows up.

Had a toxic pubbie for the first time in a long while! Three person level 7 bug mission. We’re absolutely chilling, doing some objectives, closing stuff. I split off to blow up a Heavy Nest. It’s taking me a little longer than I expected as I realize I mistakenly brought Stun grenades.

Host jumps on comms “S3 regroup with the team. I will kick you. You have 10 seconds until I kick.”

I’m surprised so I respond comms “uhh okay sure I’ll head over to you guys. Wait a second. No gently caress off dude.” And I quit. Does he think we’re in some real military and I give a gently caress? My 10 samples and 12 minutes of my time is worth taking orders from a basement dwelling Starship trooper? I requeued instantly and got into a normal squad.

They had popped SOS and never got a 4th so I hope their reinforcement was bugged and they struggled to defeat it with 2.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I'm familiar with this but how does it explain the way the laser cannon kills tank/turret vents faster than anything else in the game? It has very little durable damage so those parts are clearly not Durable,
Cannon turret vents have 100% durability value

And laser cannon has a very high ratio of durable damage to normal damage.
350 normal/200 durable, so durable damage is over half what its normal damage is. It does significantly more durable damage in one second than an AMR shot does.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Watched someone throw a rail strike onto the Pelican after it landed and only the first guy on was extracted immediately. Confirmed when it takes enough damage it glitches like that.
Also finally unlocked the arc damage upgrade :hellyeah:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
by the way if you haven't been paying attention to helldivers.io and want to stare into the angry face of god, here's the part stats for bile titans

there's enough about this that still no one understands to make it borderline useless. for instance, I don't think anyone knows how exactly any of these stats translate to "you can kill a bile titan by shooting its abdomen with AP4 weapons once the sack is popped". perhaps the spot where the sac used to be simply counts as having 1 less armor value?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 19, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sagebrush posted:

i maintain that the flamethrower should be able to close bug holes by shooting directly into one point blank, and also when you do that, fire should shoot out of the two nearest bug holes as well.

i always take it on destroy hatcheries missions because roasting the eggs with it is just so goddamn atmospheric

I love the Laser Cannon for bursting eggs from afar. I imagine it's the same pleasure those freaks who like to pop people's pimples must get.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

LazyMaybe posted:

by the way if you haven't been paying attention to helldivers.io and want to stare into the angry face of god, here's the part stats for bile titans

there's enough about this that still no one understands to make it borderline useless. for instance, I don't think anyone knows how exactly any of these stats translate to "you can kill a bile titan by shooting its abdomen with AP4 weapons once the sack is popped". perhaps the spot where the sac used to be simply counts as having 1 less armor value?

I'm pretty sure it's this. The 0 armor "UnkXXXX" bits at the bottom are the belly and underbutt sacks; they have a health value and can be destroyed. The inner_body and inner_torso bits are -1 health and can't be further destroyed, but all damage goes directly to the main HP pool, so they're probably the sections exposed once the sacks are popped - or perhaps the 0 armor inner_torso represents the exposed parts once the upper armor is broken?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

LazyMaybe posted:

Cannon turret vents have 100% durability value

And laser cannon has a very high ratio of durable damage to normal damage.
350 normal/200 durable, so durable damage is over half what its normal damage is. It does significantly more durable damage in one second than an AMR shot does.
That's definitely the wrong turret entry (look at the weapon) but the right one isn't too much different. Armor 6 front, armor 3 back, and 750 hp.

I admit I feel like the laser cannon destroys a turret in less than 3.75s but I've never timed it. That math does fit the 1 quasar shot + 1 AC shot it takes so my subjective memory is probably just wrong.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 19, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sindai posted:

That's definitely the wrong turret entry (look at the weapon) but the right one isn't too much different. Armor 6 front, armor 3 back, and 750 hp.
You're absolutely right and I wasn't paying attention when I pasted it. Which is obvious because of course AP3 goes through the vent.

Olesh posted:

I'm pretty sure it's this. The 0 armor "UnkXXXX" bits at the bottom are the belly and underbutt sacks; they have a health value and can be destroyed. The inner_body and inner_torso bits are -1 health and can't be further destroyed, but all damage goes directly to the main HP pool, so they're probably the sections exposed once the sacks are popped - or perhaps the 0 armor inner_torso represents the exposed parts once the upper armor is broken?
You're likely right about this, too. 4 armor, 100% durable, and transferring 100% of damage to main HP pool would explain the (pretty bad)breakpoints on killing a titan via shooting the abdomen with AP4 weapons, and it does seem like the upper body becomes more vulnerable when cracked open(likely why I have finished them with grenade launcher shots after hitting them with strats before).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sindai posted:

I admit I feel like the laser cannon destroys a turret in less than 3.75s but I've never timed it. That math does fit the 1 quasar shot + 1 AC shot it takes so my subjective memory is probably just wrong.

It destroys them in slightly under 3 seconds which doesn't match the math:

https://i.imgur.com/Gxwv6fF.mp4

The beam appears 1.66 seconds into the video:

Turret is fully destroyed (barrel disappeared) 4.54 seconds into the video:

E: fwiw I'm not claiming it does have bonus weak point damage or whatever like previously believed but the laser cannon ttk doesn't really match what the prevailing math shows for it, so it seems like there's more to damage calculation/application than just what the math shows. Or there's just some kind of quirk with the laser cannon and/or cannon turret (though it's like this for tanks as well - maybe they take a spike of damage when they light on fire? I've seen them survive indefinitely while burning so I know it's at least not a DoT)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 19, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

It destroys them in slightly under 3 seconds which doesn't match the math:

https://i.imgur.com/Gxwv6fF.mp4

The beam appears 1.66 seconds into the video:

Turret is fully destroyed (barrel disappeared) 4.54 seconds into the video:

Here's my recording, timecode included. Measuring per frame at 60 fps:
https://i.imgur.com/jJNwYQ1.mp4
3 seconds and 49 frames, aka 3.82 seconds to kill.
So, slightly slower than the expected 3.75 seconds. This may be due to the actual tickrate of the laser, it's probably not doing damage on every single game tick, based on how slowly it leave damage decals on devastators when you sweep it across their torso. To kill in exactly 3.75s it would need to be doing damage every 1/60th of a second, which is likely not a practical implementation.

My video is solo, under controlled conditions where I know there is nothing else that could have damaged the turret.
Your video is from 28 minutes into a 4 player game where any of those other 3 players could have done damage to that turret beforehand.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 19, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm 100% sure no one touched that turret before I did because I ran halfway across the map from my team and slowly snuck around behind it to capture the video :v:

Though for what it's worth the turrets die before the explosion animation plays, not when the explosion animation plays. In my video there's a difference of .17 seconds between the death of the turret and the start of the explosion, which would make your kill about 3.65 seconds.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 19, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the in game mission timer is down to the milliseconds or whatever just use that it's easier

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Though for what it's worth the turrets die before the explosion animation plays, not when the explosion animation plays. In my video there's a difference of .17 seconds between the death of the turret and the start of the explosion, which would make your kill about 3.65 seconds.
No, it's 3.82 seconds per that recording.
The cutoff point for my timing was not the explosion, it was the first frame the model changed, right here:

turn off the TV posted:

the in game mission timer is down to the milliseconds or whatever just use that it's easier
That's an excellent point, and likely more accurate than frame counting in a recording.
So here's another recording of a different turret kill, this time measuring by ingame timer:
https://i.imgur.com/PatF09N.mp4
Exactly 3.75 seconds, just as the damage values suggest.

So...

I'm 100% sure no one touched that turret before I did because I ran halfway across the map from my team and slowly snuck around behind it to capture the video :v:
If you want accurate data, please get a recording where you are in a solo game without other factors that could damage the turret like meteor strikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i accidentally took heavy armor on a bug mission and boy that was a loving mistake. i might as well have been standing still

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

So that adjudicator, the tier 1 detonation AR. Crap? Seems a bit crap.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Heavy armor is arguably only useful on bot missions sicne you can expect to receive substantial chip damage from random fire, but now that they've mostly removed instakill rockets it's not even a great option for them despite buffed headshot resistance. Mobility is just way too valuable.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

sebmojo posted:

So that adjudicator, the tier 1 detonation AR. Crap? Seems a bit crap.

It's... okay. It's not great. It's not the worst AR though at least

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dark souls has a fat roll. Helldivers should have a fat dive.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

For the laser cannon discussion, remember it can set things on fire, likely it gets a tick or two of fire damage off on the turret once you hold it and that's why its under 4 seconds to kill.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

sushibandit posted:

Heavy armor is arguably only useful on bot missions sicne you can expect to receive substantial chip damage from random fire, but now that they've mostly removed instakill rockets it's not even a great option for them despite buffed headshot resistance. Mobility is just way too valuable.

You still die to a rocket headshot even in heavy explosive resist armor. Heavy armor is *okay* against bots but I'd rather just use medium armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They really need to give heavy armor some buff that isn't just damage resist against explosions. Give it some functionality like being able to fully brace weapons for pinpoint accuracy or gaining immunity to knockdown when standing still. Turn yourself into a deployable turret.