Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I had some cotton yarn and a crochet hook laying around, got a copy of the Stitch and Bitch book, and tried to give it a shot. I picked up knitting fine on my own, but I just can't seem to get the chain stitch right — either it's way too big to see the "anatomy" of the stitch or too tight to get the hook in. I don't know where I'd get bigger cotton yarn, and I have no idea what else I should try. I'm using a 5.0 mm hook, which the yarn label suggested, but should I go even bigger to try and get inside the stitch a little easier?

(I considered a local class, but the price is just... too expensive for me to justify something I just kind of wanna pick up the basics on.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

E4C85D38 posted:

I had some cotton yarn and a crochet hook laying around, got a copy of the Stitch and Bitch book, and tried to give it a shot. I picked up knitting fine on my own, but I just can't seem to get the chain stitch right — either it's way too big to see the "anatomy" of the stitch or too tight to get the hook in. I don't know where I'd get bigger cotton yarn, and I have no idea what else I should try. I'm using a 5.0 mm hook, which the yarn label suggested, but should I go even bigger to try and get inside the stitch a little easier?

(I considered a local class, but the price is just... too expensive for me to justify something I just kind of wanna pick up the basics on.)

You're probably making the stitches too tight. Loosen up your tension and make sure that if your crochet hook has a tapered throat, make your stitches past it (otherwise they'll be too tight). 5mm is plenty big enough for worsted weight yarn, so beyond that, it's just practice making chains. Go ahead and crochet into them even if you're not sure, it'll help you get familiar with the anatomy of the stitch. It almost doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you're consistent.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I've also found that cotton yarn has less stretch and therefore is less forgiving to new crocheters who are still learning proper tension. I'd recommend you try messing around with a cheapo acrylic yarn and see if things are a bit easier to learn.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Acrylic helped a lot, thank you. I think I've got the basics down enough to do a steek if I needed to, which is always a useful skill to have in the back of a toolbox.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
Not mine, but a wonderful idea for a couch blanket:

[timg]https://imgur.com/gallery/UTM4DTL[/timg]

pepsigloworm fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 9, 2018

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

pepsigloworm posted:

OOh that's pretty. I think that's the same wavy pattern that I was talking about being really good for beginners and everything alike because it just comes out DARN even in every row and smooth at the edges, except this version is done with the front loops and back loops (probably front then back, so there are two rows of the same depth and then the opposite) to make the highs and lows.

I'm late to the party on this one, but I agree with everyone else. Cotton is much harder for me to work than acrylic because there is no stretch. There are tons of awesome acrylics out there and you shouldn't feel like poo poo for not using 100% wool pulled out of rescued sheep's eyebrows by displaced refuges making double the living wage. You can make some professional looking stuff with acrylic and bonus - it goes right in the washer and dryer no problem.

I'm no master at all haha! But i think I would have gotten pretty frustrated if I had tried only cotton at the beginning. I had some partial silk and I was so disappointed at how scratchy and unpleasant it was to work with.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pepsigloworm posted:

Ono

Quick count of how many people on Facebook asked me to make that for them based on 1 photo from Pinterest last year: 3

I don't even crochet anymore, it's too hard on my hands. I pretty much only knit now.

Princess Tutu
Aug 17, 2013
Over the past few months, I taught myself to crochet, and now I’m completely addicted.

For my birthday, my husband is getting me yarn. Lots and lots of yarn. I’m planning to make cute amigurumi toys for my daughter, but I’m wondering what yarns to get. Obviously soft and cuddly yarns for soft and cuddly things, but, for example, I’m going to make her a tea set. Would it be smarter to use cotton for that, to make it a bit sturdier? Or would acrylic get the job done?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Latest progress shots of my Mandala Madness:

This thing is HUGE. It's sitting on my queen size bed in those photos, and it's starting to hang over the edges. I still have about 5 more color sections to go, and some of these rounds are taking multiple hours to complete. :gonk:

On the upside, it's very warm, and the weight is very comforting. Too bad the weather is finally starting to warm up now..

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I just started the second part of Mandala Madness!

I... may stop before the end, this is going to take a lot of yarn

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Killingyouguy! posted:

I just started the second part of Mandala Madness!

I... may stop before the end, this is going to take a lot of yarn

Good luck! It's a fun pattern to work on, but very technically challenging. There are a few rounds that require carrying two colors at once, and I almost ragequit on one of them. Glad I stuck with it though, because this thing is gorgeous. Couldn't possibly tell you how much yarn it's taken because I had about half of the colors in my stash already, in varying amounts, but it is a LOT. I have 21 colors going on for mine; seven "main" colors and three shades of each.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Bees on Wheat posted:

Good luck! It's a fun pattern to work on, but very technically challenging. There are a few rounds that require carrying two colors at once, and I almost ragequit on one of them. Glad I stuck with it though, because this thing is gorgeous. Couldn't possibly tell you how much yarn it's taken because I had about half of the colors in my stash already, in varying amounts, but it is a LOT. I have 21 colors going on for mine; seven "main" colors and three shades of each.

What type of yarn did you use?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Ms. Happiness posted:

What type of yarn did you use?

Just whatever acrylic was in my stash, really. Lots of Super Saver, some even more generic-looking stuff from Michaels, and a couple One Pound skeins I bought to make up the other colors. There's some really ancient orange yarn in there that a friend gave me a few years ago. The label says (c)1980. :monocle:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I spent a very silly amount of money on a bunch of printed books, because I'm old AF and I like to squint at things while I'm working. :downs:

On the other hand, I have an imagination and I can remember the jist of something past a 10 year-old-brain so i'm hoping to transform a lot of these techniques into awesome stuff without being a plagiarist.

One of the most further-useful patterns that I have done is the basketweave one from "Mandalas to Crochet" by Haafnar Linnsenn. I now understand how the combination of front loop, back loop, front post and back loop, can make a really cool heavy texture. I think I'll make a purse out of two of these rounds.

thoughts?

I can only have so much total volume of yarn at one time, but I think I've ruined myself with Cotton. Its VERY EXPENSIVE. ouch

I also made this single-size blanket of an absolute shitload of half-doubles and puff stitches, but now I'm completely flummoxed about how to finish all 4 edges. 2 are obvious, but the HD side edges that go from bright yellow to tomato red to leafy green have me in a tizzy. I don't know if there is any color that would look "OK"up the sides of Half-doubles, and because of the simple geometric usefulness of the blanket in general, I don't want anything fussy around the edge. A LITTLE fussy would be okay, because it's charming, but it's already like an 18 ball x$5.00 blanket. (all Catania)

I would be absolutely indebted to anyone who could figure out how to at least clean up the edges and make a small border. It wouldn't suffer from being a few inches wider but NOT LONGER, though as well, since it's like 4 or 5 inches minus a single bed wide, but completely long enough.

HELP! lol

and I made this butterfly [from a book but If you know what book I mean, don't do it, because it's a pretty hardcore waste of $20

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Aww drat, that bug looks like one of my old Glo Friends toys. This one, specifically. I kinda want to try making one now. :shobon:

As for the blanket.. my suggestion would just be finishing all of the edges in the same color and try not to overthink too much. Pick up stitches and single crochet along the edges you want to clean up, then you can add a border. I think something like 1 row of hdc, 1 row of puff stitches, 1 row hdc, and finished with 1 row sc would be nice, but you can go as simple or complex as you like.

Either way, I admire your patience for being able to finish something like that. I hate making puffs and popcorns and things like that. I'm more of a fans and shells kinda gal.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
What about bordering it in white? You could do a border that's scalloped shell stitches on the long sides to look like clouds, and just a sc stitch on the short edges so you're not adding much more length

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I tried to make a sloth using this pattern as a base for the body. It's slothness is a bit arguable but I'm tired of looking at it so oh well, heh.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I think it looks very SLothy! The general gist comes over just right! You're nearly there! I wanna say that the body is too long, but it's supposed to be long, right? and also I have figured out my problem with a lot of amiguriugmi-type designs is that I crochet tightly, which has NO IMPACT on width but the height is all hosed up, so all my heads are derpy short and any legs and arms that are (6dc in ring), double that, continue for 12 rounds, end up like stumpy little arms etc. and I always have to do way more rounds to make appropriate sized limbs.

For my red-orange-yellow-green blanket with the 5 gazillion stitches, I don't think I can border it in real white or even off-white because it will look so off the general colors. Honestly, I don't know if there is any color that can be single-crocheted (a little wonky, obviously) into the side borders but that won't be a wrong color anyways. My elderly dog just peed on it last night anyways (because I layed it out to keep trying to gauge the total effect), so I had to throw it in the wash without a border and I'm going to see how it comes out looking.....

This lady I know asked me if I could teach her to crochet. She's a bit older and I was like - I only learned about 8 months ago, and I learned from a book and some youtube videos to sort out the stuff that was extremely visual, but I can try? She wanted to give me money, but I would feel really embarrassed that I'd probably be bad at it, But I'm also a cool person and if I could teach someone that wasn't quite as adept at youtube and not QUITE as quick to pick things up, that would be awesome, but I'm also scared that I'd be a poor teacher.

QUICK READ: Crocheting Tightly does not effect width, but you make a lot of stuff shorter. (this was randomly hard for me to figure out)

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah the pattern I based it on is called Tall Fox so it is intentionally long, but in retrospect yes a weird choice to use as a sloth, haha. The thing took me three months not because it was technically difficult but because I also crochet amigurumi very tight and my hand just cramps up after a certain amount of time. I made a lovely test doll to see how much yarn and roughly how big it would be, but it's easily several inches taller due to the difference of gauge.

I bet you'd be a fine teacher! Learning to knit and crochet is so visual that just having someone there to be like "yes like that" or "no, try this way" alone probably be a huge help. I also learned from books/videos and haven't really taught anyone (maybe my aunt kinda, but she'd crocheted before and just needed a reminder) but I personally feel like it would have been helpful to have someone to ask "no seriously, is this how it's supposed to look."

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

tudabee posted:

Yeah the pattern I based it on is called Tall Fox so it is intentionally long, but in retrospect yes a weird choice to use as a sloth, haha. The thing took me three months not because it was technically difficult but because I also crochet amigurumi very tight and my hand just cramps up after a certain amount of time. I made a lovely test doll to see how much yarn and roughly how big it would be, but it's easily several inches taller due to the difference of gauge.

I bet you'd be a fine teacher! Learning to knit and crochet is so visual that just having someone there to be like "yes like that" or "no, try this way" alone probably be a huge help. I also learned from books/videos and haven't really taught anyone (maybe my aunt kinda, but she'd crocheted before and just needed a reminder) but I personally feel like it would have been helpful to have someone to ask "no seriously, is this how it's supposed to look."

I'm 39 years old, and the other day, my girlfriend asked me "does your hand cramp up after all this??" and I thought, no, not once ever. I don't understand why it would? I don't have a job and sometimes I will do crochet for 8-10 hours in a single day. I am curious if you use the "knife-hold" or the "pencil-hold" because it seems to me that a lot of old ladies get hand-cramps and they do the knife hold which looks infuriating to me, and the pencil-hold like I do, which just comes as naturally as writing. I always had really good hand-writing, so doing anything like I'm writing with a pen, uses no weird muscles or causes any strain. My dad got carpal tunnel around 45 so I've been worried, but despite my 20+ years of typing for a living and this new hobby, I haven't been uncomfortable for a single second. Everyone is different, but it makes me wonder if you're working too hard or twisting or pulling on SOMETHING. I'm sure I'm not spectacular and this is probably a real thing, I just don't entirely get it so I just wanna make sure.

Thanks for your support on the teaching thing. I probably would have learned a bit faster if I had some in-person, 3-d lessons as well. Especially what is a FRICKING STITCH. What is a STITCH? Well, there is a V on top and then a bottom part.. But it's kind of confusing... It took me about 3 months of trying to figure out what the hell is a STITCH to "get it" from books.

How do you crochet into the chain you just made? Well, you can try to grab both parts of the top, like a regular stitch, or you can just grab one, and it will make no DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER, (do this always!!) or you can crochet into the "butt" but why?. Here is what it looks like: etc....

All that youtube and books and putting it together on my own took a while! Probably save some money too if someone can give you the low-down on the types of yarn available locally and what they look like when you try to make a scarf or a handbag, etc.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

DoggPickle posted:

Thanks for your support on the teaching thing. I probably would have learned a bit faster if I had some in-person, 3-d lessons as well. Especially what is a FRICKING STITCH. What is a STITCH? Well, there is a V on top and then a bottom part.. But it's kind of confusing... It took me about 3 months of trying to figure out what the hell is a STITCH to "get it" from books.

How do you crochet into the chain you just made? Well, you can try to grab both parts of the top, like a regular stitch, or you can just grab one, and it will make no DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER, (do this always!!) or you can crochet into the "butt" but why?. Here is what it looks like: etc....

Crocheting into the chain is literally the worst thing ever, and the sole reason why 99% of my projects are worked in the round. It's also why I do foundation single crochet (fsc) as much as humanly possible when working in rows. I've found that fsc is also stretchier compared to a foundation chain, which is really nice if you're making a really wide project like a blanket.

Seconding WHAT THE gently caress IS A STITCH because for the longest time I could not accurately count my stitches. I also discovered I had been crocheting through the back loop (tbl) only for a while because nobody really showed me what to do. One of my friends tried, but she didn't really explain anything and she works so quickly it was impossible to see what she was doing, so I was more confused than ever after that.

Now I feel like the master of needlessly complicated stitches, and my queue is full of insanely intricate afghans and things. :shobon:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

I'm 39 years old, and the other day, my girlfriend asked me "does your hand cramp up after all this??" and I thought, no, not once ever. I don't understand why it would? I don't have a job and sometimes I will do crochet for 8-10 hours in a single day. I am curious if you use the "knife-hold" or the "pencil-hold" because it seems to me that a lot of old ladies get hand-cramps and they do the knife hold which looks infuriating to me, and the pencil-hold like I do, which just comes as naturally as writing. I always had really good hand-writing, so doing anything like I'm writing with a pen, uses no weird muscles or causes any strain. My dad got carpal tunnel around 45 so I've been worried, but despite my 20+ years of typing for a living and this new hobby, I haven't been uncomfortable for a single second. Everyone is different, but it makes me wonder if you're working too hard or twisting or pulling on SOMETHING. I'm sure I'm not spectacular and this is probably a real thing, I just don't entirely get it so I just wanna make sure.

I crochet with a knife hold in my right hand usually, but my cramping is always in my left hand. I've tried switching to holding both yarn and hook in my right hand, but it didn't help much so I think it's either that I have a death grip on the project itself or my hand sucks (I had carpal tunnel and subsequent surgery as a teenager) or both. I'll have to try doing a looser project and pay more attention to my hands, and I'll probably try the pencil grip too, just because that does sound more comfortable.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Anyone doing the Ubuntu CAL?

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

DreamingofRoses posted:

I don't know what that means? LOL
I really do appreciate all the people replying to me even though I pop in every 6 months or so and go "LOOKWatICANDO" haha. Its so lame, but I'm proud. I taught myself in less than a year, and I'm pretty good!! That should be inspirational. mebbe?

I just want to say that yall are great and encouraging and for all the newbies out there, I would totally recommend:

1.Get a book and be a good kid and just read it and try
2.Do that 100 times
3. Look up the main things on the internet if they still aren't catching..books are so poorly written
4. Crochet is so awesome, try to mix up stitches.. its so easy!! It won't always add up, but you can fudge poo poo here and there and nobody can tell :black101:

I have this one book that says Crochet is SO EASY compared to knitting. I tried knitting once and it was irritating not only because of it's blandness but because of the total work size! Knitting looks so much like it takes two hands to begin with, but overall is boring and lame.

You can crochet in lines, in squares, in circles, in pyramids, in SPHERES, in loving cubes! You can come back later and just start crocheting off of what was there before in a new direction! It's the 3D knitting if knitting wasn't LAME. :downs:

I had no pattern, and I made a spice-jar cozy for my girlfriend for both her salt and mix-pepper "ball" jars to go camping so they wouldn't clink together in the car, and bonus I added hanging bits so they can hang right by the fire. I made meself a purse which ended up looking a LITTLE bit granny, but over the few weeks I used it, I added a little bit for my lighter to go in, and a pocket for my cell phone and also a particularly strong tab at the bottom for my keys to to latch onto so I never lose my keys unless someone punches me in the face and steals my whole purse.

I made some hanging small baskets (more flat than baskets) that hang from the headrests in my car. Like on my passenger side, over my dog's house, I made a small hanging thing that just holds my pack of cigarettes and a lighter so that I'm not blindly right-hand searching for them on the passenger seat when I drive.

I only wish there was anything I could do to mount my phone where I could see it. ARRGGH. I don't have anywhere to mount my phone! I have decided that it cannot be remedied with yarn lol

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

tudabee posted:

I crochet with a knife hold in my right hand usually, but my cramping is always in my left hand. I've tried switching to holding both yarn and hook in my right hand, but it didn't help much so I think it's either that I have a death grip on the project itself or my hand sucks (I had carpal tunnel and subsequent surgery as a teenager) or both. I'll have to try doing a looser project and pay more attention to my hands, and I'll probably try the pencil grip too, just because that does sound more comfortable.
Hmm this is weird. I only have the 1 year practice so I'm like the lovely chiropractor of actual medicine, but yarn-hand cramping seems like maybe wanting to go too fast?? or a death grip on the yarn? I think maybe because nobody ever taught me and yelled at me, I just do what is very comfortable.. (and how could love be wrong) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsCdP-Q_HXI

I am lazy and I tend to sit on the left side of my couch, so the ball that I am using is very weakly shoved between my left hip and the arm of the couch. (dog allowing) I have been getting a lot of "steps" on my fitbit on my left hand that I know i don't deserve because I tend to let it roll for the few rolls that it will easily roll there, and then do a bit of a spin/yank that is giving me a step from the "yank" haha

Okay, I just spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out how I actually hold the yarn in my left hand so don't make fun of me.

I think it goes over my first finger like Im making a gun, but I only really hold the part coming up with my pinky finger. I was looking at it, and all the fingers are there, but only my pinky is really grabbing anything. Then I thought, OMG how are you death gripping the work with your right-hand? The first couple stiches, you CAN'T really grab it, and then after that, it should be like a chillaxed, OH YAY I can hold this now, so Its a lot easier to make stitches, but you shouldn't be grabbing it so much as just YAY I can kinda hold it so its a bit more taut,.

If you're left handed, you're devil spawn, so since I'm a loving angel made of unicorn hair, I can't help. =D (my da grew up in an orphanage and they made him learn to write right handed in the 1950's, so all this poo poo makes me laugh really hard because growing up he made me get very good handwriting because it was ridiculous if I couldn't do better than he did with his wrong hand LOL. life is weird!)

*edited because even though it was the POINT of the thing, I still hosed up a left/right)

DoggPickle fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 13, 2018

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

DoggPickle posted:

I don't know what that means? LOL

It’s awesome that you’re really getting into crocheting and having a lot of fun with it! Beware the yarn horde.

A CAL means crochet-a-long, where a person develops a pattern (usually for a blanket) and releases the pattern to the community week by week and everyone follows along. Ubuntu is the name of the pattern which is a CAL that just started this week. Here’s the Ravelry link

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

DreamingofRoses posted:

drat, I didn't know this was a thing but that blanket looks awesome

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

DreamingofRoses posted:

It’s awesome that you’re really getting into crocheting and having a lot of fun with it! Beware the yarn horde.

A CAL means crochet-a-long, where a person develops a pattern (usually for a blanket) and releases the pattern to the community week by week and everyone follows along. Ubuntu is the name of the pattern which is a CAL that just started this week. Here’s the Ravelry link

Oh okay. I think I saw one of those. It was a "seaside wave" blanket or something? It's very pretty and that one is how I learned to do a very clever wave pattern in D.C.

I have really disliked the website ravelry so far, because on the occasion that I find something interesting, it generally has a paid pattern or less bad, a very terrible pattern that is a bad PDF or just really yucky instructions? There's also a weird emphasis on particular yarns?

One of the general things that has been hitting me about all crochet, no matter how modern, is the bizarre over-use of abbreviations to the point that it gets really Silly and stupid!! Charts are the boss. I wish I had a program where i could make them.

. Of course I can read your key and see that SS is slip-stitch, and CH3 is chain 3, and BPDC is back-post double crochet and SK is skip etc. but can't you just say.." For this round, do two double crochets around the back post of the big Triple stitch, and then chain 3 and slip stitch into the very obvious 2 chain space from the previous round. Basically you will be adding such and such for next round" TADA! Clear and precise and still doesn't even use up a whole line of text.

But instead, It's like they are writing in a newspaper from 1898 where they have to pay for every letter and they're working on the world's longest and dorkiest License plate.

SS 2 SK 2 BPDC4 SK2 JUMP CH4 OFF FPTC42 A ROOF 1mrRd HlfDbC LOLS Wpstch arnd in cl. 4.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

DoggPickle posted:

I have really disliked the website ravelry so far, because on the occasion that I find something interesting, it generally has a paid pattern or less bad, a very terrible pattern that is a bad PDF or just really yucky instructions? There's also a weird emphasis on particular yarns?

Yarn type/weight is important because it affects your pattern gauge and what size hook you’ll use. If you don’t take that into account the stuff you make will warp.

DoggPickle posted:

One of the general things that has been hitting me about all crochet, no matter how modern, is the bizarre over-use of abbreviations to the point that it gets really Silly and stupid!! Charts are the boss. I wish I had a program where i could make them.

Wait until you get to the really complicated patterns.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

DoggPickle posted:

SS 2 SK 2 BPDC4 SK2 JUMP CH4 OFF FPTC42 A ROOF 1mrRd HlfDbC LOLS Wpstch arnd in cl. 4.

You lost me at A ROOF

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

Oh okay. I think I saw one of those. It was a "seaside wave" blanket or something? It's very pretty and that one is how I learned to do a very clever wave pattern in D.C.

. Of course I can read your key and see that SS is slip-stitch, and CH3 is chain 3, and BPDC is back-post double crochet and SK is skip etc. but can't you just say.." For this round, do two double crochets around the back post of the big Triple stitch, and then chain 3 and slip stitch into the very obvious 2 chain space from the previous round. Basically you will be adding such and such for next round" TADA! Clear and precise and still doesn't even use up a whole line of text.

But instead, It's like they are writing in a newspaper from 1898 where they have to pay for every letter and they're working on the world's longest and dorkiest License plate.

If you're not willing to pay for a pattern on Rav, use the pattern browser/search options and select "free" under Availability. Some people experience a bit of a learning curve with Ravelry but once you've got it figured out, it is a fantastic resource for all fiber crafters. I also don't know what you expect from free patterns? Of course they're ugly, someone is just trying to tell you what to do. Making PDFs and writing patterns can be a pain in the rear end, so if you want something pretty, you're more than welcome to throw someone a few bucks for it. Most patterns, crochet especially, are very reasonably priced. There are also so many free patterns online that I have never paid for a crochet pattern. Because crochet is so structural, once you're experienced you can pretty much look at something and figure it out without a ton of effort. Amigurumi is great for getting 3D fundamentals, many of which translate to flat projects.

There are certainly very popular yarns, most of them for a very good reason (some not so much), but like DreamingofRoses said, yarn weight and type is very important to a project. I'm not going to try to make a blanket out of sock weight yarn because even though I'm crazy, I don't like punishment, just like I'm not going to try to make amigurumi out of that bullshit roving that everyone is working with rn for some reason. For the vast majority of projects, you can sub out whatever you want to use and make something smaller/larger or with a different drape due to fiber type.

I can't imagine what the problem is with abbreviations unless you're just not comfortable with them yet. I've been knitting and crocheting over 15 years now, and I would go absolutely insane if I had to read or write a pattern in English. Granted, everyone has their preferences, but what you're describing as a bug is absolutely a feature to me and, y'know, dozens of other people. As far as charting software, https://www.stitchfiddle.com is really usable for a web-based program (free for the basics) and I've paid the ~$20/yr because the devs are great and you get some premium features. KGChart is another popular program you install on your computer. There are a handful of others that you can research with a web search.

Everyone has their preferences, but for the most part crochet is more suited to very large and/or structural projects, where knitting shines in clothing and colorwork within clothing.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah, you gotta filter on Ravelry, and crochet patterns without abbreviations would be a nightmare.

Honestly my biggest complaint about Ravelry is that they're very loose with what they think a 'Remember Me' button is supposed to do.

Crocheting rugs for my apartment - bad idea? Should I do anything to them to keep them from sliding across the floor?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

Yeah, you gotta filter on Ravelry, and crochet patterns without abbreviations would be a nightmare.

Honestly my biggest complaint about Ravelry is that they're very loose with what they think a 'Remember Me' button is supposed to do.

Crocheting rugs for my apartment - bad idea? Should I do anything to them to keep them from sliding across the floor?

You could do the puff paint route, though that would probably get old for an area rug.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SICG3PS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_D84WBbYGKT5TR This stuff can go under things (or glue it on, w/e) to help keep them from slipping (I use it on my butcher block in the kitchen). You can also buy tape and foam backing meant for rugs, any furniture place should carry them and most big box and craft stores will carry it too.

E: I wouldn't put them on bare floor without some backing unless you like concussions

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 14, 2018

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

Left hand stuff

Nah, I've been noticing more persistent pain and numbness in my left hand lately with non-handicraft activities so I'm kind of convinced it's a "your hand sucks" issue and not a technique issue :( I think crochet was the first sign there was a problem because I am right handed so I don't tend to grip or hold things in my left hand that often. As a result I've been trying to figure out how to crochet sort-of one handed. My current attempts have involved propping the hook in a wrist brace on my left hand and doing all the manipulation with my right. I'm still very slow and it's still kind of sloppy looking, but I don't feel like I've been trying to squeeze blood out of a stone after five minutes so I'll take what I can get. :v:

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Hello, hookers! I have a quick question: do you think it's possible to go from 0 (don't even know how to hold the hook) to making this: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fingerless-gloves-with-a-bow in about 50 days?

I really want to create something myself from scratch for my girlfriend's birthday, and am waffling between crochet and knitting, as I already own both some hooks and knitting needles (I used to do both with my grandma, but it was about twenty years ago and I completely forgot how to do both.) But I fear I'm too tight with time to really re-learn how to do either at this point...

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Black Feather posted:

Hello, hookers! I have a quick question: do you think it's possible to go from 0 (don't even know how to hold the hook) to making this: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fingerless-gloves-with-a-bow in about 50 days?

I really want to create something myself from scratch for my girlfriend's birthday, and am waffling between crochet and knitting, as I already own both some hooks and knitting needles (I used to do both with my grandma, but it was about twenty years ago and I completely forgot how to do both.) But I fear I'm too tight with time to really re-learn how to do either at this point...

Depends on how much time you’re willing to spend on them. The pattern looks simple enough, there aren’t any super fancy stitches you’ll have to learn (ask me about bobbles) but I guarantee you’ll have to frog it at least once to get the tension/finger holes right.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
It doesn't look like it has finger holes in the Ravelry picture (outside of the thumb), it looks like one big tube. That's easier to figure out than individual finger holes, so I think you could probably get them done if you're able to put enough work into it at a time. But definitely get started nice and early so you have plenty of time to frog and figure out any tricky bits that might arise.

Crochet is one of those things that you can pick back up again even if you haven't done it in a while. Practice the basic stitches a bit (youtube tutorials are great), and your muscle memory from 20 years ago should hopefully start kicking in after you get going for a bit. Good luck!

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
What does "frog" mean in this context?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

To tear out your work. Because the noise a frog makes sounds like "Rip-it, rip-it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
That's cute :3: