Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

John Romero posted:

norman parke vs jorge masvidal and uriah hall vs costas philippou added to boston card, going to this poo poo

It's crazy they're putting McGregor/Siver and Bendo/Alvarez on a Fight Night Card at a big arena. Is this just Dana doing something for his Boston friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Ariza posted:

It's crazy they're putting McGregor/Siver and Bendo/Alvarez on a Fight Night Card at a big arena. Is this just Dana doing something for his Boston friends?

No, it's Zuffa giving McGregor to the masses for free to build the hype even higher so the masses will buy the PPVs in the future.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Yuriy posted:

if you were planning on betting on uncle creepy or picking him in brazil, might be a bad idea

https://sqor.com/posts/f9a30069-5e4a-4788-b5a7-bc24d256a9fb

Presumably if you were planning on betting on McCall you had already factored in something like this occurring.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Costa doesnt have the technique or physical talent of Hall, and hes way worse than even his record looks, but he might be tough and savvy enough to pressure Urijah, and therefore win

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Bundt Cake posted:

Costa doesnt have the technique or physical talent of Hall, and hes way worse than even his record looks, but he might be tough and savvy enough to pressure Urijah, and therefore win

Yeah it strikes me as a good match to see if Hall can put together his striking and mental at the same time again. It should be his to lose and it's not at all clear that he won't.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Uriah Hall has loads of athleticism and striking technique but 1)is very inactive in a fight and 2)throws single techniques with little follow up.

My favorite Hall moment was in the Howard fight I think where he takes down Howard in the 2nd round and then looks surprised that it worked and confused about what he should do next.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I think I've watched every Uriah Hall fight (including that whole season of TUF) and I can say with certainty Phillipou Hall is in no way a squash match.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I can't even figure out who the squasher and who the squashee are supposed to be in that matchup.

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

1st AD posted:

Uriah Hall has loads of athleticism and striking technique but 1)is very inactive in a fight and 2)throws single techniques with little follow up.

My favorite Hall moment was in the Howard fight I think where he takes down Howard in the 2nd round and then looks surprised that it worked and confused about what he should do next.

I don't see signs of bad fight IQ since he's still young as a fighter. He absolutely looks to have aggression hangups and goes for single shot counters a lot due to that, but that isn't low intelligence as much as a current lack of comfort and confidence that would power the critical thinking aspect. I would say Machida had a similar kind of problem and talent before he became a world champion and became very seasoned in the UFC. Uriah has the physical aspects down in terms of maintaining technique and having natural power. He looks to be making strides in the mental aspect of competition and it's probably come later due to getting in a good fight camp environment for that.

Although the same age and with similar MMA experience, Weidman is a special kind of competitor because he has a wealth of wrestling background and from the get-go trained with Serra-Longo for MMA which is a great place to improve the mental aspect of the game. Uriah showed excellent gains in the last couple of fights in gutting through a separated toe and still winning and dismantling Leben into retirement in a round without a scratch. He's definitely worth keeping interest in.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
agreed, were Hall to have an older brother who brutalized him and a dog that he paid $4000 in interest on he'd be a champion

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County
I just want to see some cool flashy jumping/spinning poo poo from Hall and also want to see him win so we can be treated to more of his adorable post-fight/presser speeches.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Rest in peace Nelson Mandela and Paul Walker.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

agreed, were Hall to have an older brother who brutalized him and a dog that he paid $4000 in interest on he'd be a champion

Hall didn't grow up wrestling competitively. Any of the fighting he did was out of anger, so he's done a lot to not be an angry person. He's getting better at getting his head in the game, though. He was a monster when he had Chael on his shoulder.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Uriah Hall seems like he's trying to hide that mostly benign darkside he has even though TUF already showed it off pretty extensively.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hall didn't grow up wrestling competitively. Any of the fighting he did was out of anger, so he's done a lot to not be an angry person. He's getting better at getting his head in the game, though. He was a monster when he had Chael on his shoulder.

I think it's funny that Chael is smarter than all of Team Tiger Schulmann and pretty much yelled at Hall to throw punches 90% of the time in his fights.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

I think it's funny that Chael is smarter than all of Team Tiger Schulmann

This is not a high bar to clear

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Costa is pretty good. He hasn't advanced to put everything he does well together but the guy is a legitimately good boxer and has a mean left hook.

Uriah likes to back up with his hands extended or in some cases down and guys will let him do it because of his power. Costa won't, he'll be more likely to stay in the pocket and throw power shots as he's moving away he dropped boetch and Larkin moving away from him.

It's a cool match that will either end with one dude sleeping or us watching checking our watches while we debate how you score two guys who do nothing in a fight.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

uriah hall sucks he got wrestled by a pudgy mexican teen and then beat up a hawaiian punch-drunk and then got awarded a decision in a fight he lost because people were impressed with his toe bone sticking out of his foot

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Then again Philippou's best win is Boetsch but he had to cheat a lot to do that.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

costa also has a decent win over uriah hall. this might be relevant

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

reeg posted:

You should watch it if you can, because there was nothing decent about it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

reeg posted:

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Costa had to cheat horribly to barely win the first time they fought.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Coles notes available?

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Fat Twitter Man posted:

me? watch fights?

also the more i think about it the more i can conceptualize how action-less a philippou/hall fight must have looked like in the past and will look like in the future. i'm out

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Uriah Hall beat noted Ultimate Fighter Participant Chris Leben and I don't know what else you can ask from a man.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

david carmichael posted:

in the last 7 years josh thomson has fought 8 non-gilberts melendez

Your pluralization skills did not go unnoticed by me.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

quote:

@TimKennedyMMA

Yes I’m getting my ghillie suit ready for tonight’s festivities. Trick-or-treaters beware wear a diaper

even on halloween, tim kennedy manages to be a chode

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Complete with difficulty-walking action!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Missed th attachment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Chael posted a picfof him in a decent dark knight joker....but this was in the replies thread...

https://twitter.com/sonnench/status/528393867062947841

:stare:

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Ahahahahahah

Diddie fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 1, 2014

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Chael posted a picfof him in a decent dark knight joker....but this was in the replies thread...

Lol

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

this is amazing

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Diddie posted:

Ahahahahahah

good.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Diddie posted:

Ahahahahahah

Holy poo poo

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

da alien

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Diddie posted:

Ahahahahahah

:lol: nick rules

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I just lost a half hour block of time laughing

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Diddie posted:

Ahahahahahah

With retirement, comes supreme social media cachet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
By the way, is it just me or are there far less ground and pound finishes than the last few years?

• Locked thread