Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

fatherdog posted:

If Owens wins the belt at Summerslam nobody is going to give a poo poo that he tapped at Battlegrounds, and if this is the last match of the Cena feud and he gets shuffled off to the undercard he'd be just as buried if he'd eaten a pin off the AAA.

Depends how he wins the belt and what they do afterwards though. If he pins Cesaro in a 3-way and then spins his wheels in the midcard for a year then people will stop caring about him despite winning the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

gently caress yes is it anime curator watches the show on delay time already
I'm glad I'm not the only one who loving loves the AC retrospective :unsmith:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

TRICEP MEAT.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Depends how he wins the belt and what they do afterwards though. If he pins Cesaro in a 3-way and then spins his wheels in the midcard for a year then people will stop caring about him despite winning the title

Yeah, and that would be the case whether he'd tapped tonight or eaten a pin.

People on this board get really heated up about guys losing by submission but I've never seen anything to indicate that the casual fan cares any more about it than a pinfall.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Once again Vince sticks to his resolute belief that the future of WWE is all based in the past. Wonderful.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

fatherdog posted:

People on this board get really heated up about guys losing by submission but I've never seen anything to indicate that the casual fan cares any more about it than a pinfall.

I think people are bothered by it because WWE presents tapping out as the ultimate insult that only weak rear end heels fall victim too. How many people did Rusev make pass out because they refused to tap? Even Jack Swagger got that treatment multiple times because nobody will respect people who tap out like those pansy MMA fighters.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

fatherdog posted:

i think they do considering there are, on occasion, "You tapped out!" chants

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It was good times in that brief period in the early 2000s, when everyone on the roster tapped to the ankle lock and the crossface

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
There is a very obvious difference in how WWE presents pins and submissions. Everybody gets pinned, but there are some people/situation combinations where you will never see a submission. Undertaker is not going to tap out. Cena is not going to tap. Orton, HHH, Big Show, Sheamus, they rarely tap and when they do it is only in the most dire of circumstances.

Granted, Kevin Owens could still join that latter group and not submit again for a year or two. For now, though, he has lost in am ore definitive and more crushing way than simply being pinned. In that very match, Owens himself put the STF on Cena and the announcers sold it as being more humiliating to tap out than if Owens had simply gone for the pin.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
The fact that people defending the Owens/Cena finish or saying people are being premature about losing faith in Owens' trajectory need to realize this was the same discussion people had about Bray, Rusev and Cesaro, who were all very promising but floundered or are floundering due to WWE booking. Owens might and will probably recover from it down the line, but it is still true that Owens beating Cena got coverage slightly in mainstream media when it happened and they sacrificed making a top heel *right now* that had appeal just because of some shift in merchandise numbers. Even if he is alright down the line, they will never get back the opportunity for him to make an amazing debut of "Beat Cena, leave Cena lying, take his title". That would have been a feat that he could have referenced and got heat with for a long while, like the foundation of a career in WWE but nah, some merch shifted for two weeks.

Cena could have even gotten a new shirt from losing the belt!

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
I don't know what's wrong with me. That was a pretty decent PPV with good matches all around, and aside from the Diva's match, I hated most of it. It's kind of worrying how I'm not enjoying the product even when they're giving me good matches to watch. :(

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lynkericious posted:

I don't know what's wrong with me. That was a pretty decent PPV with good matches all around, and aside from the Diva's match, I hated most of it. It's kind of worrying how I'm not enjoying the product even when they're giving me good matches to watch. :(

The wrestlers are giving you good matches, creative is giving you poo poo finishes. It's very understandable.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Lynkericious posted:

Sheamus and Orton didn't have a lot invested in it and it seemed to drag, Bray/Reigns was eh up until the last leg, Divas match was good but not as good as what we seen on NXT, Tag Match was fun and Xavier killed it on the outside, Owens/Cena has happened 2 times before and was probably put together better those previous times, Seth/Brock had a non-ending, which depending on how you feel about Taker now is terrible or okay.

It was't really a decent PPV, it just wasn't hot garbage. We've seen better matches on RAW last week

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Lynkericious posted:

Sucker Punch was visually dazzling and one of the most dogshit movies I've seen. No amount of wrestling can save the writing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I know this goes against how they're positioning the 2 characters, but I do wish that it wasn't such a squash against Rollins. From the way they've booked him you'd never believe that Rollins was actually a really good wrestler and it would've made the match a lot more interesting. I'm not saying it needed to be 50/50 but it would be good to remind people that hey, Rollins isn't really a snivelling heel, he has the talent to back it up.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'd normally agree, but no one has been able to stand up to Brock one on one (barring Reigns after Brock headbutted himself to death on a ringpost, and John Cena because John Cena), so why should Seth?

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Oh god. Not like that Owens. Not like that.

My wife had gotten so into wrestling for the first time in 10 years, and even bought a KO shirt to wear while we watched this PPV. I was *actually* getting to like Cena, and found this feud *actually* interesting. The whole "I'm trying to revitalize this title" vs. "Everyone here is sick of you" was a great angle and *actually* gave Cena some shine.

Now I'm reading that it's the Cena's shirt sales dipping (& KO doing well with shirt sales) that caused this to happen.

So KO fans actually caused this to happen... by getting hype and buying his merch. This is so dark man... KO's just trying to provide for his family.

And Taker? Please... just. stop. Whenever he does a tombstone I just cringe. Out of fear for the damage on his knees.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I told my friend Undertaker showed up. He knows there's a lot of nepotism in wrestling so he asked if that was like 'the son of the guy from the 80's'. Many laughs were had.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I have zero issue with a shitheel like Owens tapping. It just doesn't make sense to do it like two months into his main roster career and especially not to a guy who gets absolutely nothing from it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

sportsgenius86 posted:

I have zero issue with a shitheel like Owens tapping. It just doesn't make sense to do it like two months into his main roster career and especially not to a guy who gets absolutely nothing from it.

It makes a lot of sense of you hate Kevin "KO" Owens and want to spite him, which everyone with power does.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

As someone who hasn't watched wrestling in 10 years, I have a few questions.

1. Why was Brie Bella allowed to wrestle when she was so much worse than everyone else

2. People really hate Roman Reigns still, will anyone ever enjoy the presence of Roman Reigns or does he have to go over someone like John Cena

3. What was the point of that Big Show and Miz segment?

4. What in the world was that Brock Lesnar match all about and where was the champion? Why did we get an old as gently caress guy who used to be a biker?

5. What in the world was that championship match between Lesnar and Rollins?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

projecthalaxy posted:

It makes a lot of sense of you hate Kevin "KO" Owens and want to spite him, which everyone with power does.
If the people with power really hated him they could, you know, not hire him. Or not call him up. Or not put him in a feud with the biggest name on the roster. Putting a minor belt on Owens at a minor PPV would be dumb and he'd go on to feud with Cesaro or someone equally irrelevant. Keeping the belt on Cena makes sense; he's simultaneously the biggest face and biggest heel in the company so the belt is actually important going into SummerSlam. Yes, Owens tapped, but only internet nerds really care about that and it just makes Cena an even larger heel to that contingent.

Ostentatious posted:

It was a way to get Brock into a big match for SummerSlam but away from the belt. Brock don't need no belt.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 20, 2015

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ostentatious posted:

1. Why was Brie Bella allowed to wrestle when she was so much worse than everyone else

2. People really hate Roman Reigns still, will anyone ever enjoy the presence of Roman Reigns or does he have to go over someone like John Cena

4. What in the world was that Brock Lesnar match all about and where was the champion? Why did we get an old as gently caress guy who used to be a biker?

1. Bad booking

2. No, he's trash

3. Bad booking

4. Bad booking

5. Bad booking.

Now ask me why they had one of their up and coming breakout newly acquired stars (newly acquired while still being a ring veteran, mind you) tap out to John Cena

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Ostentatious posted:

1. Brie was more credible an opponent than Alicia, but they didn't want to have the champ get pinned so they went with Brie

2. Who knows. Since not beating Brock at Mania Roman's lost a whole lot and dropped down the card despite getting better characterwise. I have no clue what they're planning with him now. He gets good reaction on house shows and the like, that the crowd was so into Bray was surprising.

3. To fill time in place off the missing Ryback/Miz/Big Show

4. They don't want to beat Brock and they don't want to put the title on him, thus fuckery.

5. shorter than it should have been. People seemed to love seeing taker though, so I guess some people were happy with the finish

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

DrVenkman posted:

I know this goes against how they're positioning the 2 characters, but I do wish that it wasn't such a squash against Rollins. From the way they've booked him you'd never believe that Rollins was actually a really good wrestler and it would've made the match a lot more interesting. I'm not saying it needed to be 50/50 but it would be good to remind people that hey, Rollins isn't really a snivelling heel, he has the talent to back it up.

I legit think Rollins deserved a (nearly) clean win over Brock. Seth is by far the best young guy they have, and with the most future potential, so why not strap a rocket to his rear end? Beating Brock would totally legitimize him, he'd be able to brag about it for years, and it could plant the seed for his eventual face turn.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I almost think I would've preferred it to go "WILL BROCK PIN ROLLINS?!" Gong, lights go out, lights come up with Rollins down and Taker standing over a downed Lesnar, pulls Rollins on top of Lesnar, Gong, Undertaker vanishes, Rollins pins Lesnar.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

wyoak posted:

If the people with power really hated him they could, you know, not hire him. Or not call him up. Or not put him in a feud with the biggest name on the roster. Putting a minor belt on Owens at a minor PPV would be dumb and he'd go on to feud with Cesaro or someone equally irrelevant. Keeping the belt on Cena makes sense; he's simultaneously the biggest face and biggest heel in the company so the belt is actually important going into SummerSlam. Yes, Owens tapped, but only internet nerds really care about that and it just makes Cena an even larger heel to that contingent.

Like Meltzer said, if they bury him from the start then people could say he never got a fair chance. If they push him to the moon then cut his legs off they can say he got his chance and just couldn't cut it. It's petty backbiting cowardice, but then that's true of a lot of things in massive corporations, especially in entertainment, and double especially in WWE

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why would anyone pay even 10 dollars for these shows?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fsmhunk posted:

It was a pretty bad show but I feel like I got ten bucks worth of entertainment from it. I guess that's WWE's business model now - "it's gotta at least be worth a tenner, right?"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MotU posted:

i think they do considering there are, on occasion, "You tapped out!" chants

Which is perfectly fine for a heel. I think the problem is that the smarky crowd is under the illusion that Kevin Owens is a face because just because they like him. A heel can get that chant, where it's damaging for a face.

Fsmhunk posted:

NXT is included.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Half the time the shows are free.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Next month's Summerslam, aka one of the Big 4, so it's a "everybody pays $10" month

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Chris James 2 posted:

Next month's Summerslam, aka one of the Big 4, so it's a "everybody pays $10" month

Survivor Series was a free month. Who knows.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

yeah but nobody gives a gently caress about survivor series

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Survivor Series was a free month. Who knows.

That was last year, when they still had random free months. After Mania they changed it to the thing they compare to Netflix where almost every month's a free trial for new users, except for the Big 4 PPVs

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Blasmeister posted:

1. Brie was more credible an opponent than Alicia, but they didn't want to have the champ get pinned so they went with Brie

I loving hate this sort of logic, which is absolutely true, and makes most of the matches on the main shows so predictable. its telling that the moment they put Brie in the match I knew she'd heat the pin or submit.

Kind of like the main event where they didn't even ring the bell. Like... Would it have been so horrible is Seth got a pinfall over Brock after Undetakers involvement? Probably not

They protect these stupid things so much but there is never a payoff to any of them except The Streak.

Rises making Cena tap at Wrestlemania would have been huge for example...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is Brie that much more credible than Alicia? They're both pretty bad but almost everyone has bypassed Brie at this point and I feel like she coasts a lot on people thinking 'hey she's married to Bryan so he must be giving her pointers'. I guess she is more credible in the sense that she's a literal clone of the champion.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

Which is perfectly fine for a heel. I think the problem is that the smarky crowd is under the illusion that Kevin Owens is a face because just because they like him. A heel can get that chant, where it's damaging for a face.

NXT is included.

it is damaging for a heel they are trying to build up as a threat at all. The argument of "heels are meant to lose, it is okay!" is retarded, because while heels are meant to lose, they are not meant to be dominated, especially one that is built up out of the gate as super-credible. Cena did not have to dig deep for this win, like Wyatt and Rusev, he just lost once and then demolished everything in his path

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Owens is going to come out and say he didn't tap out and he was reaching for a hold to try and break the STF. Rematch at SS where he wins. Pretty obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Kuai posted:

Owens is going to come out and say he didn't tap out and he was reaching for a hold to try and break the STF. Rematch at SS where he wins. Pretty obvious.

I wish this was true, but there's a wwe YouTube of him not denying that he tapped out.

• Locked thread