Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Jerusalem posted:

Do I remember right that despite Big Mom's horrific history with the giants, they had actually been prepared to marry Prince Loki to her eldest daughter until she took off to the seas, Big Mom tried to swap the twin sister and the whole thing further soured their relations once more?

Pretty much! I think it was mainly cause Loki was genuinely in love with Lola so the Giants were willing to let bygones be bygones until Lola ran away and Big Mom tried to pass her twin off as her instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Official 1114 Chappy

... How does Doffy poop

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

RuBisCO posted:

Official 1114 Chappy

... How does Doffy poop

With a bird cage over his butt.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

This translation just saying Joyboy was the first pirate, rather than being the first person to go to sea makes a lot more sense. There's not a lot to steal out there if you're the first person on the sea!

I like that in the first panel he shows up in this chapter one of Saturn's eyes is on fire. We later learn that this is Nami headshotting him with a thunderbolt. Between that and Chopper taking the full brunt of a Gorosei's attacks, you gotta respect even the 'weak' members of the crew.

I don't know how I feel about the mysterious giant robot going on a rampage being relegated to one mid sized panel in the middle of a random page. On the one hand that deserves a lot more attention! But on the other hand, the fact that it's only gotten as much as it has really speaks to how much other truly crazy poo poo is going on.

Also someone in this thread said Mayor Woop Slap had a cameo this chapter (not going to go back and find the quote), but all I see here is Mayor Boodle! Mayor Woop Slap is the mayor of Luffy's home town, Windmill/Fusha Village! Boodle is mayor of Orange Town! Get your East Blue mayors with funny names straight!

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh, your mother lives on elbaf?

When your mom sits around the island, she really sits AROUND the island

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

Official 1114 Chappy

... How does Doffy poop

In his pants obviously.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Obviously Buggy will be called the second coming of Nika because he's a clown and clowns are suppose to make everyone laugh.

The first apostle

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I didnt know Stussy was a freaking vampire

I found out because she's trending today lol

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Meowywitch posted:

I didnt know Stussy was a freaking vampire

I found out because she's trending today lol

yeah the anime got to the big stussy reveal and went mega-horny with it

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

RuBisCO posted:

Official 1114 Chappy

... How does Doffy poop

Level 6: Lay in your own mess hell

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Chieves posted:

Cheers, I did just that for the panel in the chapter I read last night with The Boys getting ready to roll up to the front door.

Revisiting this from last fall- took a hiatus and just wrapped up Skypeia. Hooted and hollered when I reached the Eneru face panel. Iconic.

This is a fun manga! I would go absolutely insane if I had to wait on these fights on a weekly basis!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Chieves posted:

Revisiting this from last fall- took a hiatus and just wrapped up Skypeia. Hooted and hollered when I reached the Eneru face panel. Iconic.

This is a fun manga! I would go absolutely insane if I had to wait on these fights on a weekly basis!

yeah i go back and reread the whole series every time an arc ends

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
I've been reading the manga on and off, not really re-reading except when goons mention cool poo poo that happened before. Started watching the anime from the start with my husband after the live action came out and was good. Just hit the Raizo reveal episode and he had to tap out.

Were Kinemon and especially Momonosuke this bad in the manga?

I haven't re-read any of the new world stuff since it came out and I didn't remember the Kozuki/Samurai/etc stuff taking this much space in the plot. I know they were there, but it feels like a completely different story that's derailed the Strawhat adventures into some mid period drama that's not nearly as interesting as the stuff it's replacing.

Did I just forget all the pre-Wano samurai poo poo or did the anime just really focus on it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think from what I remember of the manga, they were just kinda tagging along until Wano got really into that, so maybe an anime thing?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

TurkeyFried posted:

I've been reading the manga on and off, not really re-reading except when goons mention cool poo poo that happened before. Started watching the anime from the start with my husband after the live action came out and was good. Just hit the Raizo reveal episode and he had to tap out.

Were Kinemon and especially Momonosuke this bad in the manga?

I haven't re-read any of the new world stuff since it came out and I didn't remember the Kozuki/Samurai/etc stuff taking this much space in the plot. I know they were there, but it feels like a completely different story that's derailed the Strawhat adventures into some mid period drama that's not nearly as interesting as the stuff it's replacing.

Did I just forget all the pre-Wano samurai poo poo or did the anime just really focus on it?
Pre-Wano samurai stuff? I dont actually remember much, I remember a ton of scabbard stuff in wano though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Wano’s samurai poo poo dragged in the Manga too, the finale of it was fantastic but it probably wasn’t a story Oda needed to tell

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Standard anime or one pace

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

No Wave posted:

Pre-Wano samurai stuff? I dont actually remember much, I remember a ton of scabbard stuff in wano though.

the Raizo reveal is actually a huge deal, and during Zou in particular the Wano buildup starts to take center stage as you get the Momo reveal, the alliance, the thing where Momo commands Zunesha, etc

before that it's super low-key, I remember on a recent reread of Dressrosa realizing the samurai do basically dick all that entire arc except for Kanjuro helping some prisoners escape with his janky ladders (I am pretty sure that is literally ALL they do except for Kinemon just generally being around in some scenes)

It also then completely disappears for Whole Cake obviously. I really don't think it ramping up during Zou is out of nowhere or distracting, it makes sense to get things in place for Wano and it's not like the Straw Hats are just standing around doing nothing, Zou has some amazing moments for the entire cast

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kinemon and Momonosuke first joined up with the crew during Punk Hazard (though I believe the former first appeared during a prior arc) but I’m not sure how much stuff the anime added to them compared to the manga

Speaking of which, were there any hints towards Kanjuro being a traitor prior to Wano out of curiosity?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 15, 2024

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Larryb posted:

Kinemon and Momonosuke first joined up with the crew during Punk Hazard (though I believe the former first appeared during a prior arc) but I’m not sure how much stuff the anime added to them compared to the manga

Speaking of which, were there any hints towards Kanjuro being a traitor prior to Wano out of curiosity?

I definitely remember several posts outlining hints and I think at least one of those was brought up before the reveal

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Kinemon and Momo were around for 10 years and nearly 400 chapters, it honestly still feels kinda weird they aren't in the margins of the goings on.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

the void century was actually just break week

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Imu strikes me as a "Chapter?" poster

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Looking over the chapter again and it's crazy how close Saturn comes to killing/capturing Robin, no way they could have held him off for much longer, but he scurried off to go hit the mother flame with a stick. Very lucky.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Looking over the chapter again and it's crazy how close Saturn comes to killing/capturing Robin, no way they could have held him off for much longer, but he scurried off to go hit the mother flame with a stick. Very lucky.

Someone earlier brought up that it's been a fun balancing act of both making the Elders these horrible threats no one can truly go toe to toe with right now (even if Luffy & the giants are just playing keep away), but also Vegapunk has managed to make them just go full ungabunga in a vain attempt to stop a live stream and those set of pages really show that off nicely

Good arc

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

rannum posted:

Someone earlier brought up that it's been a fun balancing act of both making the Elders these horrible threats no one can truly go toe to toe with right now (even if Luffy & the giants are just playing keep away), but also Vegapunk has managed to make them just go full ungabunga in a vain attempt to stop a live stream and those set of pages really show that off nicely

Good arc

The plot of Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth when you think about it

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

Imu strikes me as a "Chapter?" poster

He is 100% a spoilers reader.

rannum posted:

Good arc

Oda did this with Big Mom too – redefine victory as "surviving" and it lets the heroes win while setting up the next mountain for them to summit. He executes it better than a lot of other series.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I saw a video on something somewhere that outlined the case that the elders aren’t actually trying to kill the straw hats but are trying to capture them and kill Vegapunk now that they don’t need him.

The Robin thing was specifically mentioned. As was the worm trying to eat Luffy whole.

The giants being there and being organized around the pirate captains wasn’t known until that moment and the WG specifically tried to undo that ages ago and so it specifically threw everything off.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Larryb posted:

Kanjuro was introduced eating a cabbage with his right hand while drawing with his left hand, but it's not something that most readers would have taken as a hint that he was a traitor until the idea of one existing was brought up, which I think would have happened in Zou at the earliest.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Can Of Worms posted:

Kanjuro was introduced eating a cabbage with his right hand while drawing with his left hand, but it's not something that most readers would have taken as a hint that he was a traitor until the idea of one existing was brought up, which I think would have happened in Zou at the earliest.

There's more to it. I remember watching this video back in the day which got it right before the reveal and lays down the foreshadowing very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxzD1TQjcLQ

It's only text thankfully so you can fast forward or skip around (Kanjuro specific stuff starts 8 minutes in so it's pretty short).

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Right, but all those clues are from the Wano arc, the person I was replying to was asking about hints before then. I actually did check that video to see if it was where I saw the handedness being pointed out and it wasn't.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Can Of Worms posted:

Right, but all those clues are from the Wano arc, the person I was replying to was asking about hints before then. I actually did check that video to see if it was where I saw the handedness being pointed out and it wasn't.

Oh. In that case, yeah, I think the only real hints before then are his off hand cabbage, the fact that he helps the people trying to capture them in Dressrosa (which is played off as a joke), and Jack being specifically after Raizo.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

One of the hints was him drawing a Dragon to scale Zou after Kin'emon flat out said he hates dragons because of Kaido.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 16, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Can Of Worms posted:

Why can’t he just be a lefty?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

PuttyKnife posted:

The Robin thing was specifically mentioned.

They’ve always tried to capture Robin, but I didn’t think they were pulling punches on the rest of the crew. Maybe with Luffy so they can contain the Nika fruit, but Saturn specifically tried to kill Luffy earlier in that brief moment he was immobile and he got saved by Franky, and they also tried to kill him vs Kaido.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think they want to
A) kill robin (because shes the only way they think luffy/nika can conceivably overthrow them)
B) humiliate the strawhats so hard, nika especially, that no one dares think they can confront the WG ever again
in that order

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Not spoiling cause the chappys been out:

The world government has always tried to get Robin for a number of reasons. Chiefly among them is that she's a survivor of Ohara and can read the poneglyphs. I imagine while that's still important, her poneglyph threat is much less important than Vegapunk blasting that poo poo all over the airwaves. So it's credible that Saturn would gently caress off in this exact moment.

One of the other reasons was that she could theoretically find the big three weapons but the WG now have access to Uranus (presumably what sunk Lulusia) so that's not prioritized right now either.

I think Robin's biggest threat now is that she's the key to Luffy specifically getting to the One Piece, which means Luffy is actually the most important target of the Straw Hats because he's also Nika. And they are trying to get him in this exact moment anyways.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I think the only real impediments to the complete WG victory has been the giants and the broadcast. Outside of that, this is a complete loss for the Straw Hats. The Gorosei have been brute and even a seemingly outclassed Kizaru has been putting in some work.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
There were more hints about Kanjuro being the traitor like:

1: Who else could have tipped off Kaido that the samurai had returned and where Kinemon/Momonosuke/Raizou ended up after leaving Wano?
2: Why did Doflamingo (Kaido's underling) care so much about catching Kinemon & Momonosuke?
3: Kanjuro's weird behavior like helping the people that were trying to attack the Straw Hats & Friends in Dressrosa or the really slow climbing dragon or suddenly deciding to play peekaboo on said dragon to take Kinemon out of the picture

Plus there's stuff from within Wano like

1: The bird flying away at the spot the samurai appeared in after being sent to the future that looked exactly like Kanjuro's drawing
2: Koizumi knowing exactly how many people the Alliance had recruited (except for a group that was conveniently added at a moment Kanjuro wasn't around)
3: Kanjuro not getting any sort of focus in any of Oden's flashbacks besides "He just showed up one day out of nowhere"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

there are a ton of kanjuro hints. he draws with his left but does things with his right, hes the only scabbard that doesnt smile when reunited with the group, the first thing he asks about is momo (trying to secure the asset) whereas the others are more generally happy. i cant remember them all. its the kind of thing that really really jumps out at you on reread