Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

StarMinstrel posted:

Anyone knows if there is any significance to a quaker parrot starting to go "squee SQUAW SQUAW" really loudly anytime they see some kind of... alcove of fabric? It's hard to describe. Exemples: being in my bathrobe, he likes to go on my knee under the table and start squawking like crazy. He has a cord that goes over his perch, and it makes a bit of an inverted V from where it's hanged up where he goes in between and also does that behavior. I don't think it's him being angry since he usually has a bit of a different sounding whistle when he's annoyed. I tried finding videos of Quaker behaviors but couldn't find anything worthwhile.

/edit/I'll see if I can take a video at some point. This is very hard to describe.
My Quaker is afraid of bright red, and anything that could conceivably be a snake--any kind of cord, like an electrical cord, or anything long and cylindrical like a broom handle. She hates the red broom. If accidentally confronted with something like this, she'll squawk and run around under the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

StarMinstrel posted:

Anyone knows if there is any significance to a quaker parrot starting to go "squee SQUAW SQUAW" really loudly anytime they see some kind of... alcove of fabric? It's hard to describe. Exemples: being in my bathrobe, he likes to go on my knee under the table and start squawking like crazy. He has a cord that goes over his perch, and it makes a bit of an inverted V from where it's hanged up where he goes in between and also does that behavior. I don't think it's him being angry since he usually has a bit of a different sounding whistle when he's annoyed. I tried finding videos of Quaker behaviors but couldn't find anything worthwhile.

/edit/I'll see if I can take a video at some point. This is very hard to describe.

It sounds like he might be being nesty/hormonal? I know my birds love to hide and tuck into things.

A rare photo of preening where I was able to get very close. Kiwi keeps getting those pinfeathers near her beak and won't let me take care of them anymore cause now Sammy and her just preen each other. I'd be much more thorough than Sammy, but alas, I am not preferred.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

StarMinstrel posted:

Feeling nesty? Birds like to find a small place to hide and go "THIS IS MY HOME, I'M GOING TO PUT SOME EGGS AND A GF/BF IN HERE, EVERYONE PLEASE BE ALERTED TO THE FACT THIS IS MINE NOW". Where cats like to rub on things and dogs like to wee on things, birds like to ((((screm)))).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

On a mildly related note, I remember reading in one of my cockatiel care books that if you want your tiels to pair off and make babytiels, you obviously need to provide them with nestboxes. But you can't just count your birds, divide by 2 and put in that many boxes - there must always be at least 1 extra box.

Apparently cockatiels need to have a choice in nesting places - even if all of the boxes are completely identical, no-one will take the last one because if no-one else wants it, it's obviously defective and terrible and probably eats babies :3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Pookah posted:

On a mildly related note, I remember reading in one of my cockatiel care books that if you want your tiels to pair off and make babytiels, you obviously need to provide them with nestboxes. But you can't just count your birds, divide by 2 and put in that many boxes - there must always be at least 1 extra box.

Apparently cockatiels need to have a choice in nesting places - even if all of the boxes are completely identical, no-one will take the last one because if no-one else wants it, it's obviously defective and terrible and probably eats babies :3:

And if someone else is using a particular nest, it's obviously the best nest and I have to have it okay! Who cares that this other nest is identical or even better, I want this one that someone else already has!

You can see this working in human brains too if you work in hospitality. If there are 10 clear tables and one table where no one is sitting but where previous customers have left some dirty dishes, new customers want to sit at that table. Obviously it is a proven good table that is guaranteed to give food, unlike all those other untrustworthy tables. I'm convinced that being hungry/decaffeinated reduces the human intellect to that of a smartish bird or elephant.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

And if someone else is using a particular nest, it's obviously the best nest and I have to have it okay! Who cares that this other nest is identical or even better, I want this one that someone else already has!

You can see this working in human brains too if you work in hospitality. If there are 10 clear tables and one table where no one is sitting but where previous customers have left some dirty dishes, new customers want to sit at that table. Obviously it is a proven good table that is guaranteed to give food, unlike all those other untrustworthy tables. I'm convinced that being hungry/decaffeinated reduces the human intellect to that of a smartish bird or elephant.

I suppose we frequently outsource our critical judgement if it's at all possible, because we're mostly lazy, and it's faster and easier to piggyback on someone else's comparison shopping than do the work ourselves.

Cockatiels and nestboxes, humans and restaurant tables - it's kind of comforting that we all do the same drat things.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Humans tend to lack the charming wolf whistles and heart wings, though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

You see this all the time with chickens, where you will have ten laying boxes and go in to find ten chickens crammed into one overpacked nestbox

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can confirm.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Nothing is as funny as a bunch of pissed off chickens crammed into a nest box making ungodly noises.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's especially funny when the bantams are on the bottom and a 20-pound Jersey Giant sits on them

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Guys. Guys.

In the nine months since I adopted Ozzy, my poor broke-brained trauma cockatiel, he has never bathed. Didn't seem to know what that was. I'd bring him into the shower when I gave Sera the opportunity to wash, and after managing to work him up to "sit passively in the water with his feathers clamped shut so he stays dry while licking at the water spray and I coo encouragingly at him" he'd plateaued there for eight months and I thought I'd never get him past that.

But he showered this morning! He fluffed up, rolled around in the water, rubbed his head under his wings, actually bathed. He did it. I'm in tears, I'm so happy and relieved. I've had such serious doubts about ever being able to help him beyond "you no longer live in a too-small cage with other birds that hate you" but we did it, guys. We did it!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

You can see this working in human brains too if you work in hospitality. If there are 10 clear tables and one table where no one is sitting but where previous customers have left some dirty dishes, new customers want to sit at that table. Obviously it is a proven good table that is guaranteed to give food, unlike all those other untrustworthy tables.

Do you have a source on this? I know for a fact that I have never once in my entire life gone to a restaurant and wanted to sit at a dirty dishes table over a perfectly clean empty one.

Maybe my brain is weird?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I recently had an infusion, so apologies for being a day late! This was a fun filled week for Serra. She had her first vet visit!

This is what she did when she got home. Tucked her head under her wing and pouted for a solid...five minutes.

Then...IMPOTENT COCKATIEL RAGE for a solid fifteen seconds.

She weights about 120 grams, but isn't overweight! The vet says she is a, "Big, healthy girl!" that needs more baths.

This is me trying to teach her about the bathroom -

Lookit dat tail! She doesn't have her adult tail yet. :3:

Also, she adores Minecraft toys. This is her rabbit -

Also, she is incapable of being angry for longer than a scritch.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Serra is a sweet goddamn angel :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

RoboRodent posted:

Guys. Guys.

In the nine months since I adopted Ozzy, my poor broke-brained trauma cockatiel, he has never bathed. Didn't seem to know what that was. I'd bring him into the shower when I gave Sera the opportunity to wash, and after managing to work him up to "sit passively in the water with his feathers clamped shut so he stays dry while licking at the water spray and I coo encouragingly at him" he'd plateaued there for eight months and I thought I'd never get him past that.

But he showered this morning! He fluffed up, rolled around in the water, rubbed his head under his wings, actually bathed. He did it. I'm in tears, I'm so happy and relieved. I've had such serious doubts about ever being able to help him beyond "you no longer live in a too-small cage with other birds that hate you" but we did it, guys. We did it!

Ohmigosh that is so sweet! Yaaay Ozzy! :derptiel:

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Do you have a source on this? I know for a fact that I have never once in my entire life gone to a restaurant and wanted to sit at a dirty dishes table over a perfectly clean empty one.

Maybe my brain is weird?

Yeah you’re not alone, I thought that was weird too. If I have choices for tables the dirty one is not anywhere near the first pick

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Maybe my brain is weird?

i can say from experience that people definitely do this. Especially the stereotype speak to the manager types and grumpy old men. Not so much young people.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

as career restaurant industry i too will confirm that the best table to sit at is the one the folks you passed on the way in got up from and the server is hurriedly trying to get it clean before you sit there even though literally every other table is clean.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I prefer the booths in the back because I hate being socially exposed to folk. :goonsay:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnhrjJa23FE

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I know I've asked this before but... what even are tiels?

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Question: cockatiel diet!
What's a good balanced diet for a tiel and what's a good treat. So far Pippu's been eating a seedmix (it's what they had at the petshop + what he had been eating there before I bought him). I planned to convert him to a pellet diet, ordered some Harrison's high potency (which I believe is waiting for me at the post office today). I've been trying to introduce him to various fresh foods but he's not been interested AT ALL. Oranges, broccoli, spinach, apples, pumpkin - all equally uninteresting, he didn't touch either. I've tried chopping it in fairly small pieces and also tried to put a mix on a sort of kebab snack stick to tempt him. I dunno what to do...

For snacks I've been giving him a bit of millet and some seeds. It sort of works, but as there's millet in the seedmix he's been eating he's not super excited about either...

Apart from that he's a pretty awesome lil dude. He's gotten brave enough to eat from our hands at this point :derptiel:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Question: cockatiel diet!
What's a good balanced diet for a tiel and what's a good treat. So far Pippu's been eating a seedmix (it's what they had at the petshop + what he had been eating there before I bought him). I planned to convert him to a pellet diet, ordered some Harrison's high potency (which I believe is waiting for me at the post office today). I've been trying to introduce him to various fresh foods but he's not been interested AT ALL. Oranges, broccoli, spinach, apples, pumpkin - all equally uninteresting, he didn't touch either. I've tried chopping it in fairly small pieces and also tried to put a mix on a sort of kebab snack stick to tempt him. I dunno what to do...

For snacks I've been giving him a bit of millet and some seeds. It sort of works, but as there's millet in the seedmix he's been eating he's not super excited about either...

Apart from that he's a pretty awesome lil dude. He's gotten brave enough to eat from our hands at this point :derptiel:

Pellets as a base, supplemented with seeds and fresh veggies. It may take a while to teach him what’s edible; best way is to eat it in front of him and make yummy sounds and then give him a taste.

My dad’s tiel went nuts for millet sprays and shelled sunflower seeds. Just watch how they react and use the one they react strongest to as a treat

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Yep I got the pellets. He seems to love them, so that's cool :)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Eating enthusiastically and refusing to share is usually a good way to get any bird to try a new food - let them badger you into giving them a taste of the really good stuff you found.

Looloo the cockatiel was very funny with millet sprays; she used to switch back and forth between munching happily and being dramatically terrified of the evil snake monster - like she'd behave as though it was trying to steal her eggs while she had a beakful of millet she'd literally just bitten off it.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Broke my finger coming in here to see a 1500 post, jesus christ was I not disappointed :kimchi:

Can I share that with a raptor rehabilitator and parrot mom I know closely? She wouldn't believe a story about a superchill cuddly macaw without evidence

Nov 3, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

Broke my finger coming in here to see a 1500 post, jesus christ was I not disappointed :kimchi:

Can I share that with a raptor rehabilitator and parrot mom I know closely? She wouldn't believe a story about a superchill cuddly macaw without evidence

Fine by me. I don't mind anyone sharing the photos.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Does anyone else have a cockatiel that whines and cries? Serra likes to whine and cry, which she did as a baby. She is my third cockatiel, and I absolutely do not remember this behaviour.

Also, she is about 120 grams and NOT overweight according to the vet. :stare:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Nemo does nothing but complain and occasionally sing. She's old and crabby.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Nemo does nothing but complain and occasionally sing. She's old and crabby.

As a 35 year old human, :yossame:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Does anyone else here wear a hat, and constantly flip it up with your hand (like a crest) around parrots?

Because I hear it can add years to your life. :)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Toucans are hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH5cH7D-8-U

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 28, 2018

Nov 3, 2015

This seems to be her new thing.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Friend of birds. I love watching birds taking baths. It turns the proudest macaw into a gibbering wet mess when they are given access to flowing water.

I found something pretty rough and don't want to give the person any extra views unless you are going there to report them for abuse/harrassment. Going to spoil the next part because I don't want to bring anyone down with the description in passing

It'a video of a grey cockatiel under a water stream. It is not doing anything but singing a very warbling song with it's eye's closed.. It is obvious forced to stand there from how it's holding it's body. This animal abuse and the comments of the video have people complaining the bird hates it there and it is trying to entertain the abuser with a little song to end this nightmare. The description has the video person saying the bird goes through this EVERY SINGLE DAY. Brace yourself and follow this link of a video OF THE loving MOST MISERABLE COCKATIEL EVER [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYj__GkJ5cY[/url]HERE[/url]. It's 2 years old, but no one should search for "cockatiel bath" and see this. Go here, downvote, and report this fucker.

Please spoil any description of what you see because it's a super bummer.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
What happens when a pink cockatoo spills beet juice all over himself and then bathes in the resulting puddle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTQrhIcXa74

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

What happens when a pink cockatoo spills beet juice all over himself and then bathes in the resulting puddle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTQrhIcXa74

I love Pabu so much :3:

And holy poo poo those baby galahs

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

EVIL Gibson posted:

Friend of birds. I love watching birds taking baths. It turns the proudest macaw into a gibbering wet mess when they are given access to flowing water.

I found something pretty rough and don't want to give the person any extra views unless you are going there to report them for abuse/harrassment. Going to spoil the next part because I don't want to bring anyone down with the description in passing

It'a video of a grey cockatiel under a water stream. It is not doing anything but singing a very warbling song with it's eye's closed.. It is obvious forced to stand there from how it's holding it's body. This animal abuse and the comments of the video have people complaining the bird hates it there and it is trying to entertain the abuser with a little song to end this nightmare. The description has the video person saying the bird goes through this EVERY SINGLE DAY. Brace yourself and follow this link of a video OF THE loving MOST MISERABLE COCKATIEL EVER [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYj__GkJ5cY[/url]HERE[/url]. It's 2 years old, but no one should search for "cockatiel bath" and see this. Go here, downvote, and report this fucker.

Please spoil any description of what you see because it's a super bummer.

Phone posting so I’ll be brief -

When my cockatiel was at the vet, we got a long lecture about how cockatiels MUST have baths to clean out their sinuses and have healthy kidneys. She told us this is the number one “problem” with the species - not bathing in captivity. We were told, even if we feel evil doing it, to get the bird bathing. Could this be a vet recommended thing? Who knows. But it’s something to think about before saying abuse.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Log posted:

Phone posting so I’ll be brief -

When my cockatiel was at the vet, we got a long lecture about how cockatiels MUST have baths to clean out their sinuses and have healthy kidneys. She told us this is the number one “problem” with the species - not bathing in captivity. We were told, even if we feel evil doing it, to get the bird bathing. Could this be a vet recommended thing? Who knows. But it’s something to think about before saying abuse.

That video is not normal bird bathing behavior.

The bird will be fluffing up and getting not only it's topmost feathers but also the downy feathers wet. It will be going for it's tail and respreading the oil across the newly clean feathers.

It will be running around and angling itself in different directions to hit every area it can. Unlike this bird who is closed up tight and is in bare-with-it rain mode where it is trying to block as much water out.

Look at any other cockatiel bathing and you will see why this is abuse (on purpose or unknowningly)

If you are forcing your bird to stay in a down pour of water that is not what your vet meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That bird needs to be spray bathed or given a bowl, whatever is necessary for it to be more ad-lib