Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Kuai posted:

Owens is going to come out and say he didn't tap out and he was reaching for a hold to try and break the STF. Rematch at SS where he wins. Pretty obvious.

He said in an interview after that he tapped so he could fight another day. He has a family to think about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He also said he didn't know where he'd go from there.

Answer: back to NXT shipped in a cardboard box tonight

Kuai
May 25, 2004

MotU posted:

He said in an interview after that he tapped so he could fight another day. He has a family to think about

Oh drat well I turned off my laptop in disgust after Taker kicked brock in the balls. What a shame.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Answer: back to NXT shipped in a cardboard box tonight

Then put in a tag team with Bull Dempsey.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Chris James 2 posted:

Forming a trio with Axelmania and Macho Mandow

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Kuai posted:

Oh drat well I turned off my laptop in disgust after Taker kicked brock in the balls. What a shame.

Well it was only on WWE.com so not like it matters if you kept watching anyways since this company can't do anything right

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MotU posted:

it is damaging for a heel they are trying to build up as a threat at all. The argument of "heels are meant to lose, it is okay!" is retarded, because while heels are meant to lose, they are not meant to be dominated, especially one that is built up out of the gate as super-credible. Cena did not have to dig deep for this win, like Wyatt and Rusev, he just lost once and then demolished everything in his path

I never said heels are meant to lose, I said heels can endure a "you tapped out" chant IF the crowd decides to do it, which they didn't do for Owens and might not on Raw either because people like him.

Look, I'm not saying they aren't making lovely booking decisions and putting some people over too strongly while protecting the wrong people. I agree they're doing that and some complaints are well founded. But for all the ISEC gloom and doom there's maybe 5% that isn't huge whiny overdramatic exaggeration. Sometimes people's perpetually worst-case scenario predictions come true. But when they do get proven wrong or things go in a different direction than they expected, they don't say "my bad, this is cool", they just complain more because this very specific fantasy booking I have is the only way they should've done it instead which involves firing half the roster and being absorbed by NJPW why can't they just do this gently caress you Vince and Dunn this company can't do anything right! :qq:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Actually when Raw is real good people usually say "Wow, that Raw was great, maybe things are going in a different direction???" which gets us into this circular pattern of having hope that things will get better and then they don't. Keep up the narrative of people online never being satisfied though

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pull up any thread from the 4 or 5 weeks build for Battleground and show me anybody's worst-case scenario for an ending to the event that looked worse than "Taker comes back and kicks Brock in the nuts"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Heyman turning on Brock, for one.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
It was just so surreal

Brock is scared that Taker is here, but nope, he easily gets out of the chokeslam because he's a badass

and then he gets kicked in the dick

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

kick the dick

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I want Heyman to cut a promo tonight that's like 5 minutes of dead silence, then incredulously yelling "The Undertaker kicked my client BROCK LESNAR in the DICK?!??!"

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
COMMANDMENT #12, DON'T KICK THE BEAST IN THE DICK

Also Brock should spend the entire show selling his dick

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Nope

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It was just so surreal

Brock is scared that Taker is here, but nope, he easily gets out of the chokeslam because he's a badass

and then he gets kicked in the dick

He's back! The phenom! The Deadman! The icon! The legend! The Undertaker! And he's in the ring, staring daggers straight into the heart of the beast, Brock Lesnar!

*dick gets punted, crowd is speechless*

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

We've learned that Brock Lesnar is physically unable to use the F5 due to dick-related issues.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

As someone who hasn't watched wrestling in 10 years, I have a few questions.

1. Why was Brie Bella allowed to wrestle when she was so much worse than everyone else

2. People really hate Roman Reigns still, will anyone ever enjoy the presence of Roman Reigns or does he have to go over someone like John Cena

3. What was the point of that Big Show and Miz segment?

4. What in the world was that Brock Lesnar match all about and where was the champion? Why did we get an old as gently caress guy who used to be a biker?

5. What in the world was that championship match between Lesnar and Rollins?

1. They had to have someone from Team Bella wrestle because of the way they've set this up. Since Nikki is chasing the record for longest Diva Championship run, it couldn't be her, and I guess it makes more sense for the loser of the match to actually be a Bella to make it feel like there's an actual threat to Nikki.

2. Booing Roman Reigns is the new booing John Cena. Just like Cena was originally booed for being put over hardcore favorites Chris Jericho and Kurt Angle, Reigns is booed for being put over Daniel Bryan. Reigns clearly is intended as the new next top guy; some fans love to boo the guy in situations like that. Also, his booking has been really terrible since late last year.

3. Killing time. They couldn't do the three way, so having a really annoying heel get knocked out is kind of a make good for it. Plus it follows the WWE's theory of not having hot segments go back-to-back.

4&5. Undertaker is a legend and his loss to Brock at Mania 30 is one of the biggest moments in company history in terms of shock value and how memorable it was. It's not surprising at all that they decided to build a rematch off of it. Given how rarely Lesnar and Taker both wrestle, the fact that it took a year and a half isn't a big surprise, plus it has the added benefit of being something that's been building for a year and a half in a company with a direction that's changed so often.

They booked themselves into a corner where they didn't want to take the belt off of Rollins, but they didn't want to actually beat Brock. So they could either do that by Undertaker showing up and interfering, or turning someone and forming a new J&J Security-esque lackey(s) for Rollins.

Of course, the question is you may really mean to ask without really realizing it is "why are they focusing on Brock and Undertaker, two part-timers who are old, at the end of their pre-SummerSlam PPV?" Here are some of the reasons:

1) Those probably are the two biggest names they could have match up and get a strong main event out of. Both Brock and Undertaker are huge stars and have a ready-made backstory for their match.

2) Their top full-time babyface, John Cena, is in a situation where (in the WWE's mind) he needs to be their top full-time babyface and merchandise seller, but also a guy used to help make the new set of stars. Some people are wondering why Kevin Owens would lose two big matches in a row to Cena when it doesn't really help Cena and really could hurt Owens. The answer is in those two goals they have for Cena that are completely at odds with each other. They ideally would like to make new stars with Cena, but they panic every time there might be a dip in his popularity and put him over.

3) They have utterly failed at building any new stars that they could have face either Lesnar or Undertaker in a high profile match. You might argue Rollins, but they obviously don't want Taker-Brock to be a title match. Reigns is slated elsewhere for a tag match with Sting vs Wyatt and Harper. Rusev has lost a lot of momentum since WrestleMania. They never know what to do with Dean Ambrose. Dolph Ziggler is a main eventer only in the eyes of r/SquaredCircle. Daniel Bryan may never wrestle again. CM Punk is in UFC. No one else is close to being a new top guy.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

WWE Discussion for 7/20 is Light Skindeded pls.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Haha I just remembered Cena did another Code Red last night.

It's so dumb that he does that move.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chris James 2 posted:

*dick gets punted, crowd is speechless*

this is pretty much me irl every day

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
WWE Discussion for 7/20: Dick gets punted, crowd is speechless

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Wrestling fans, Sonic the Hedgehog fans: the cycle of disappointment continues.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

triplexpac posted:

I want Heyman to cut a promo tonight that's like 5 minutes of dead silence, then incredulously yelling "The Undertaker kicked my client BROCK LESNAR in the DICK?!??!"

I legit really want this too

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Ostentatious posted:

1. Why was Brie Bella allowed to wrestle when she was so much worse than everyone else

It is a tough spot for anyone. Sasha and Charlotte have been together every day for 2 straight years, no third person could step in and keep up with them. With the chemistry the other two have, anyone would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Shinjobi posted:

Wrestling fans, Sonic the Hedgehog fans: the cycle of disappointment continues.

Folks who still call themselves Sonic fans probably aren't self-aware enough to realize they've been had, or they're furries cultivating a DeviantArt portfolio. Wrestling fans are just self-loathing masochists caught in a sunken cost fallacy from which there can be no escape. Not unlike gambling addicts, repeatedly wasting time (and sometimes money) because every now and then we get a jackpot moment that feels like it's worth the journey.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Rodney the Piper posted:

3) They have utterly failed at building any new stars that they could have face either Lesnar or Undertaker in a high profile match. You might argue Rollins, but they obviously don't want Taker-Brock to be a title match. Reigns is slated elsewhere for a tag match with Sting vs Wyatt and Harper. Rusev has lost a lot of momentum since WrestleMania. They never know what to do with Dean Ambrose. Dolph Ziggler is a main eventer only in the eyes of r/SquaredCircle. Daniel Bryan may never wrestle again. CM Punk is in UFC. No one else is close to being a new top guy.

I just can't figure this one out for the life of me. I can't even call it a 'failure' in the strictest sense because not only do I think they're not trying to create new starts, but I swear they're trying not to create new stars. Everything they do reeks of 'we build a product, not stars' where almost everybody is an interchangeable cog in their soulless on-brand corporate dreadnaught. But when it comes to slot a cog in to face one of the few guys that transcend their machine, they balk and just put those guys in their own little world to fight amongst themselves while making sure nobody actually rises to that level.

Roman is booed because there are at last half a dozen people fans (or at least the more vocal fans) would rather see getting that degree of attention. It's like the WWE was given 5 choices of who to strap the rocket on, they chose instead to wipe their rear end with the ballot. Of course I'm wondering how hard they're even trying given that I don't know if they want Roman or anybody to get to a level above 'move merch, do charity. Do not ever get into a position where you think you don't need us. Despite our branding you are not a superstar, you are not a star, you are a product. The brand is the star.'

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The answer is "Vince is a senile control freak with a lot of toys to mash together." You're not going over Cena, G.I. Joe!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Money being tighter lately probably hasn't helped when it comes to looking at the long term (who will be our big stars 5-10 years from now?) vs. the short term (Cena's merch sales need to go back up!)

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

I just can't figure this one out for the life of me. I can't even call it a 'failure' in the strictest sense because not only do I think they're not trying to create new starts, but I swear they're trying not to create new stars. Everything they do reeks of 'we build a product, not stars' where almost everybody is an interchangeable cog in their soulless on-brand corporate dreadnaught. But when it comes to slot a cog in to face one of the few guys that transcend their machine, they balk and just put those guys in their own little world to fight amongst themselves while making sure nobody actually rises to that level.

They're trying to build stars. They're just really, really good at loving it up.

They wanted Lana to become a Sable-level babyface. Rusev's injury didn't help, but she seems less popular than before her babyface turn. I don't know that they could have known ahead of time that she would have no chemistry with Ziggler. I think they probably should have figured it out soon enough and done something to fix it before they did.

They want Reigns to be their top babyface of the future (and the reason he was chosen is because he's big and athletic and good looking). They've tried two paths so far: first, they had him win all the time (a correct way to get someone over), but put him directly against the one guy at least a certain segment of their fans obviously wanted to cheer over Reigns, thus ensuring a large number of boos for RR when they should have just kept Bryan on the sideline. When that lead to the fans rejecting Reigns so hard they had to change the result of their main event at WrestleMania, they decided to try to make Reigns sympathetic by having him lose.

Unfortunately, this means they have Reigns lose all the time, and then have the announcers talk about him losing all the time. There's nothing in pro wrestling that makes you seem like a bigger geek is being a loser and having the announcers talk about how you're a loser. There's a way to do a bad luck storyline, but it's obvious they aren't really trying to do that with Reigns - there's no push to show him changing tactics or fighting tougher yet. Wyatt could play the role of Mankind in making Shawn Michaels a tougher wrestler, or like Vader did for Sting, etc. Instead, they're just having Reigns get mad at Wyatt and then lose to Wyatt. I'd almost rather they go back to Superman mode with Reigns, because then at least something would be accomplished.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

It didn't help at all that they wrote him promos that made him seem like a colossal dork either.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Roman Reigns posted:

It didn't help at all that they wrote him promos that made him seem like a colossal dork either.

And you talk about yourself in the third person, which just looks like you're trying to be The Rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rodney the Piper posted:

I don't know that they could have known ahead of time that she would have no chemistry with Ziggler.

Uptight Russian lady in a pencil skirt business suit with her hair up in a bun in a totally-not-revenge-relationship with Cobra Kai cosplayer in a hair metal jean jacket. What could possibly go wrong? Unless their whole idea was to make them an odd couple, it doesn't even make sense stylistically.

• Locked thread