Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

My boss has the byzantine system and nearly 100gb of saved mails, but no rules. He doesn't know how to use them. He sorts everything manually.

He doesn't understand drafts either, he instead composes mails and sends them to himself.

I didn't think any of my coworkers were goons anymore.

Also email-chat: I have jr coworkers who don't check their email all day. These are so junior they should only get 1-5 emails a day. I have to call them "open your email and do that task." I understand it is a generational evolution. But they literally don't have work to do that isn't assigned by others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Volmarias posted:

The duality of spam

*Narrowing my eyes at the IT tech with 'Born to Agile' written on his graphic tee and wearing a Report Spam icon button.* ... Whose side are you on?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Volmarias posted:

Have you told them "I regret to inform you that this is not actually my problem" yet?

Hilariously, I was told that when I took this job that part of what I did was to unfuck situations like this. Every time I've put my foot down on not just fixing everything for other groups I've been told by my management to pull back and do everything by myself instead. I had a 20 minute conversation with my direct supervisor on Friday about how I need these teams to unfuck themselves (used those words) because the multiple people who were supposed to be taking these responsibilities from me weren't going to be able to deal with these things. They still haven't, and the teams haven't unfucked themselves knowing I was going away. Suddenly, telling them they needed to fix things in harsher normal terms was too much. Guess what? I finally got everyone into a call and they agreed things were wrong and needed fixing. Wow, spending a year of just doing what people wanted and having problems every other order over that time did nothing, so clearly calling everyone out was a bad move.

My boss and I have a conversation set up for Friday about this and other topics, I'm done dealing with this entitled poo poo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cthulu Carl posted:

*Narrowing my eyes at the IT tech with 'Born to Agile' written on his graphic tee and wearing a Report Spam icon button.* ... Whose side are you on?

Born to Agile, forced to Waterfall.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

Hilariously, I was told that when I took this job that part of what I did was to unfuck situations like this. Every time I've put my foot down on not just fixing everything for other groups I've been told by my management to pull back and do everything by myself instead. I had a 20 minute conversation with my direct supervisor on Friday about how I need these teams to unfuck themselves (used those words) because the multiple people who were supposed to be taking these responsibilities from me weren't going to be able to deal with these things. They still haven't, and the teams haven't unfucked themselves knowing I was going away. Suddenly, telling them they needed to fix things in harsher normal terms was too much. Guess what? I finally got everyone into a call and they agreed things were wrong and needed fixing. Wow, spending a year of just doing what people wanted and having problems every other order over that time did nothing, so clearly calling everyone out was a bad move.

My boss and I have a conversation set up for Friday about this and other topics, I'm done dealing with this entitled poo poo.

You're on your way out, go for broke. Send everyone another copy of the proper procedure and in that email tell them everything not conforming will be auto denied without explanation.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lazyfire posted:

If your email response to them wasn't literally "eat poo poo lol" then it sounds like a bunch of folks are pissbabies.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Is it safe to assume you live in America? If you did that in the UK, you could pretty much expect an immediate lawsuit, employment lawyers would have an absolute field day with anyone who did that.

Hell yeah America #1

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Thesaurus posted:

Good for you. These days I'd be nervous to give more than a few weeks notice. I've heard too many stories of people who give notice and are told that their resignation is accepted effective immediately. Another version is the employee who voices that they are job searching and is quickly replaced. Yet another version is the dissatisfied employee who raises the topic of a severance agreement with HR and is shown the door, empty handed.

Most companies are probably chill about it, unless they view you as a problem employee

I was a bit nervous but I really didn’t want to be shouldering this, it feels dishonest to the small team I work with. In order to keep estimates accurate, it’s best to know I’m not gonna be there.

My company is small, I’ve been there for 10 years, and as much as I want to leave, I genuinely like 90% of the people there. The other 10% aren’t nasty or terrible. The weirdest part of all of this was I broadcast I was thinking of this over a year ago and there was no action to try and keep me or negotiate. It was just so lovely on their part.

Also, as I mentioned, I’m seeing a project through to finish - one I estimated and did critical cost-saving design work on 2 years ago. It’s in the middle of production - if I left with 2 weeks notice, I’d be nearly impossible to replace, and they’d be really hosed on trying to finish parts that require my skill set.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
There's something so satisfying about seeing someone incompetent get dunked on by management. Just shut down. In writing. And there I am on the cc list.

drat what a rush :pusheen:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My manager texted me this evening asking if I had an update on X

Checked my outbox, let’s see I sent him X with my part done and all the stuff he needed to do highlighted on…April 24th

So no boss, I guess I don’t have an update for you.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I was a bit nervous but I really didn’t want to be shouldering this, it feels dishonest to the small team I work with. In order to keep estimates accurate, it’s best to know I’m not gonna be there.

My company is small, I’ve been there for 10 years, and as much as I want to leave, I genuinely like 90% of the people there. The other 10% aren’t nasty or terrible. The weirdest part of all of this was I broadcast I was thinking of this over a year ago and there was no action to try and keep me or negotiate. It was just so lovely on their part.

Also, as I mentioned, I’m seeing a project through to finish - one I estimated and did critical cost-saving design work on 2 years ago. It’s in the middle of production - if I left with 2 weeks notice, I’d be nearly impossible to replace, and they’d be really hosed on trying to finish parts that require my skill set.

So it's the perfect time to leave, is what you're saying?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
The second best day to resign from your job is today

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

pumped up for school posted:

I didn't think any of my coworkers were goons anymore.

Also email-chat: I have jr coworkers who don't check their email all day. These are so junior they should only get 1-5 emails a day. I have to call them "open your email and do that task." I understand it is a generational evolution. But they literally don't have work to do that isn't assigned by others.

im pretty sure the dudes at my work who play magic the gathering in the lunch room and make extremely dated internet references are goons but like heck am i gonna out myself

if any of them ever catch on and ask if i have stairs in my house im gonna say "no i rent an apartment, i dont get paid enough for a house" and force a look of visible confusion

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

Just bring up the parable (or whatever the term is) of “Teach a man to fish”. It is perfectly applicable. If you keep fixing other departments fuckups, they will never ever fix their broken process. Once you stop fishing for them and feel the pain of their fuckups, they will either learn to do things correctly, or clear the way for those that will.

Sucks that your boss is such a spineless coward that he won’t back you up in putting those responsibilities on the proper departments until it comes to a head like this.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

So I've complained about our sales guy that insists on only mac products before in this thread multiple times. He has a team of 3, they're the only 3 macs in the building.

Well he just hired a 4th person. In the lead up he was very adamant that things are perfect for his new sales person, down to picking the macbook he wanted (fine) and specifying that it had to be space gray. Why? Dunno.

The day new person is supposed to start gets here and I see now why he's been fretting and trying to get everything perfect for this one, vs previously when he's hired people. She's a beautiful, tiny asian girl and he's very obviously attracted to her.

She had a dual monitor setup that she inherited from the previous person who was at that desk. They're curved monitors. I checked on her a few days in and she wasn't using them, asked if everything was ok, she says she's not sure she wants to use two monitors and is fine with one plus the laptop screen. Ok cool, no problem, set the other monitor aside and I'll grab it later.

I get an email from sales guy this morning at like 6 am asking if she can have a flat monitor instead of the curved monitor, and would I go find someone that wants to trade with her. Keep in mind 1. we aren't a big company and 2. I have an actual job that isn't IT, I'm shorthanded as gently caress right now, and he's aware of this. I told him as nicely as possible that if he thought I was going to go around the building and see if anyone wanted to trade monitors he was out of his god damned mind.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i know this is the white collar degree haver gripe zone, but can i bitch about my job for a bit?

i work at a concert venue that is also a bar, obviously. the owner is such an absolute starfucker and just lets the talent get away with whatever. wanna treat us like poo poo? wanna start 45 minutes late for no reason? hell yeah go ahead! management is a loving joke, all of them are hardcore drunks, which yeah i get it's nightlife industry, but maybe don't be so fuckin' blasted you can't even fill in a spreadsheet. the low level staff basically ends up running the show 90% of the time because we all know what has to be done, management is just there to gladhand talent and sign off on the most basic poo poo. but it's a "cool job!" so nothing ever changes because leagues of people are signing up to work because they think it'll be neat and fun.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Million Ghosts posted:

i know this is the white collar degree haver gripe zone, but can i bitch about my job for a bit?

i work at a concert venue that is also a bar, obviously. the owner is such an absolute starfucker and just lets the talent get away with whatever. wanna treat us like poo poo? wanna start 45 minutes late for no reason? hell yeah go ahead! management is a loving joke, all of them are hardcore drunks, which yeah i get it's nightlife industry, but maybe don't be so fuckin' blasted you can't even fill in a spreadsheet. the low level staff basically ends up running the show 90% of the time because we all know what has to be done, management is just there to gladhand talent and sign off on the most basic poo poo. but it's a "cool job!" so nothing ever changes because leagues of people are signing up to work because they think it'll be neat and fun.

This sounds like a local place by me that the owner is a family friend. Would not surprise me at all, but I bet that's almost every type of small concert venue like this.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Also all laborers are welcome here.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

All workplaces are dumb and lovely in their own ways.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Because of this thread I have looked into auto-sort rules, which I have never used before. I spent a couple hours yesterday literally sorting and categorizing and making rules for things.

It's like I'm born anew, my eyes have been opened.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dameius posted:

Welcome, friend, and be among others who have dealt with bullshit from above.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Volmarias posted:

bullshit from above.

It's like that tattoo from Starship Troopers, only it's a Teams icon not a flaming skull.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
the shittiest part is, as a person, i really like the owner. we got along super well, we have the same taste in music, he's extremely nice to the point where when i was couchsurfing he gave me an open offer to crash at his place as long as i needed. by all non-business metrics he's an awesome dude. but he should not be in charge of anything ever. he shows up to work already drunk, drinks throughout his shift, and doesn't really pay attention to what's going on past doing a loop between a few people and asking the same questions. and then he spends the rest of it sucking up to talent and letting them just steamroll us. like it's a give and take relationship between venues and artists, neither of us would be here without the other. but soooooooooooo much talent just tries to big time and act like they're the most important poo poo in the world. i've been berated so loving hard by random tour managers for things like not giving out VIP passes for the girls the band is trying to bang and it's like dude i have a list, literally my job is making sure people get in or don't, don't yell at me about it.

it's also stupid because for the most part i do like my job, but the areas that suck are so obvious to everyone except the people who could actually change anything. be nice to your venue staff, we notice it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dameius posted:

Corpos get out; you have their own thread in BFC!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

~Coxy posted:

Corpos get out; you have their own thread in BFC!

Look at this jagoff trying to break class solidarity

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Million Ghosts posted:

the shittiest part is, as a person, i really like the owner. we got along super well, we have the same taste in music, he's extremely nice to the point where when i was couchsurfing he gave me an open offer to crash at his place as long as i needed. by all non-business metrics he's an awesome dude. but he should not be in charge of anything ever. he shows up to work already drunk, drinks throughout his shift, and doesn't really pay attention to what's going on past doing a loop between a few people and asking the same questions. and then he spends the rest of it sucking up to talent and letting them just steamroll us. like it's a give and take relationship between venues and artists, neither of us would be here without the other. but soooooooooooo much talent just tries to big time and act like they're the most important poo poo in the world. i've been berated so loving hard by random tour managers for things like not giving out VIP passes for the girls the band is trying to bang and it's like dude i have a list, literally my job is making sure people get in or don't, don't yell at me about it.

it's also stupid because for the most part i do like my job, but the areas that suck are so obvious to everyone except the people who could actually change anything. be nice to your venue staff, we notice it.

Does your venue get like actual famous musicians or is your boss bending over for lovely local bands?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
we aren't booking like Iron Maiden or Garth Brooks or whatever, but we get some pretty big or big at one point names. but we do a solid amount of bending over for locals and regionals and cult acts in a baffling way.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Owner showing up drunk and/or drinking on the job is a classic ingredient for a hosed up workplace. Sexual harassment issues are sure to follow

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Success story.

Every year I teach one semester at a nurse college (survival English conversion). I do 7 lessons and the final test, another teacher does 8 lessons. Our lessons don't conflict because he follows the textbook and I use my own worksheets.

Old 2024 schedule:
May 5 lessons
June 3 lessons
July 3 lessons
August 2 lessons
September 2 lessons
October final test

My first lesson was today and I asked the office if we could tidy the schedule up so the test wasn't so far out (scheduled for the monday after a 4 day festival weekend, lmao).

The other teacher was totally fine changing his schedule, the office just hadn't tried asking.

New 2024 schedule:
May 6 lessons
June 6 lessons
July 3 lessons, final test

:peanut:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

peanut posted:

Success story.

Every year I teach one semester at a nurse college (survival English conversion). I do 7 lessons and the final test, another teacher does 8 lessons. Our lessons don't conflict because he follows the textbook and I use my own worksheets.

Old 2024 schedule:
May 5 lessons
June 3 lessons
July 3 lessons
August 2 lessons
September 2 lessons
October final test

My first lesson was today and I asked the office if we could tidy the schedule up so the test wasn't so far out (scheduled for the monday after a 4 day festival weekend, lmao).

The other teacher was totally fine changing his schedule, the office just hadn't tried asking.

New 2024 schedule:
May 6 lessons
June 6 lessons
July 3 lessons, final test

:peanut:
Big win for the students too, now their 4 day weekend can a big blowout end of semester celebration instead of "gently caress gently caress gently caress I really should be studying"

Capital Letdown posted:

Because of this thread I have looked into auto-sort rules, which I have never used before. I spent a couple hours yesterday literally sorting and categorizing and making rules for things.

I still haven't set any up for my new(ish) job yet and it's stressing me out a bit. I'm not on enough lists yet for it to be an issue but I'm getting there.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Capital Letdown posted:

Why would you spend hours setting up a system to not read emails, while you would have spent 0 seconds just not reading them in the first place
Note: I sit on a fairly modest 2025 unread emails in my inbox

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Million Ghosts posted:

I practically quit reading the other thread because it's 95% IT, office and agile poo poo and even though I keep pace with a lot of IT stuff and tech (as much as possible with me not currently working it)

I guess I'll give it another shot as I've reached the end of this one again.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Sekenr posted:

Why would you spend hours setting up a system to not read emails, while you would have spent 0 seconds just not reading them in the first place
Note: I sit on a fairly modest 2025 unread emails in my inbox

Clearly I still have much to learn

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you want to make a shitload of money and travel to developing countries*, choose the mining industry

*includes Australia

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My boss keeps ranting on about ads and followups, he keeps thinking we can do A-B ads on this finnish craigslist equivalent that has no built in support for stats like that and were the amount of people viewing the ads are in the hundreds over months at best (lmao). This poo poo is boring and leads to no results, just pointless dumb makework crap that is soul killing. He thinks there's some magic word combo like that will lead to people suddenly buying our poo poo in droves if we could just find it!!!

He's like moron darkseid looking for the idiot motherfucker equation.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

My boss keeps ranting on about ads and followups, he keeps thinking we can do A-B ads on this finnish craigslist equivalent that has no built in support for stats like that and were the amount of people viewing the ads are in the hundreds over months at best (lmao). This poo poo is boring and leads to no results, just pointless dumb makework crap that is soul killing. He thinks there's some magic word combo like that will lead to people suddenly buying our poo poo in droves if we could just find it!!!

He's like moron darkseid looking for the idiot motherfucker equation.

lmao this is the same sort of thinking my sovcit cousin has where he thinks he can talk his way out of another DUI because he has the right to travel or some poo poo

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Cool Dad posted:

Does your venue get like actual famous musicians or is your boss bending over for lovely local bands?

they're called "touring commodities" now thank you

i work in the event and concert biz and my happy place has been to not work for one single venue, on a team of roving event bandits now

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My boss keeps ranting on about ads and followups, he keeps thinking we can do A-B ads on this finnish craigslist equivalent that has no built in support for stats like that and were the amount of people viewing the ads are in the hundreds over months at best (lmao).

Jesus Christ. You need tens of thousands of views before you can get statistically significant results from A/B testing.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

McGavin posted:

Jesus Christ. You need tens of thousands of views before you can get statistically significant results from A/B testing.

All of the Finns post here anyway, they should just buy their boss an account and have them post a poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Non-white collar work stupidity:

I worked nights alone at the local gas station when I was in high school. We had some regulars that were somehow able to run tabs, probably because they knew the owner. A lot of them were alcoholics and the biggest was Fred. One evening, Fred comes in with two friends and slurs that he needs a case of beer put on the tab. I call my boss (the man who let a 16-year-old work nights alone at a gas station) and he OKs it, annoyed that I interrupted his evening.

Fred is incredibly drunk and keeps stumbling around the store, so I ask his friends to take him outside. They take him outside and lean him against the window next to the door, then come in to get some snacks. They look a bit dodgy, so I'm keeping an eye a them when I hear a *CRASH* from outside. I look out, and there is no Fred and also no sign of the stand with porn movies we keep outside next to the door (told you it was a classy place).

Nevermind, I turn back to his friends when I see blue lights out the corner of my eye. There's a police car and an ambulance parked outside. So we all go outside to see, and the paramedics are loading Fred, blood all over him, into the back of the ambulance. I turn to look at the shop and the porn movie cassettes are scattered all over the place, many of them covered in blood, and there is a disturbingly large pool of blood next to the door.

Turns out the police car and the ambulance were returning from a cup of coffee in town and were passing the gas station at the exact moment that Fred had keeled over into the porn rack and had cracked his skull on the curb. That's pretty lucky for Fred, but I'm freaking out a bit. The police were pretty cool and took a couple of minutes to talk to me before driving away. Fred's friends have taken the beer and snuck off, and now I'm alone at the gas station with a large pool of blood and a lot of very bloody porn movie cassettes scattered.

I call my boss who is now very annoyed and tell him what happened. "Clean it up, I'm going to bed. Don't forget the cassettes."

So I get the hose and spray the blood into the drains, and get a wet cloth and wipe off the cassettes because... well, what the hell else was I supposed to do? I end up staying an hour past closing time on a school night and getting home at midnight. My mom was furious. And of course I got a call the next day from the boss who told me in no uncertain terms that he was not happy with my cleaning of the porn movie cassettes.

He was my first lovely boss :allears: