Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It rules because its fun and funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/v2TokyoGhost/status/1792212030666973607

Chinese gacha games are on a different level

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

ive said this before, but i definitely dont think you can evaluate one piece within the frame of its contemporaries, or even its medium. its dealing with the same scope, narrative elements and themes as the old epics. one piece legitimately has more in common with the epic of gilgamesh or the odyssey than it has with naruto or bleach. the thing im the most excited about when the story finishes is the ability to properly pour through everything with perfect narrative clarity, and the resulting academic analysis of the work and where it fits in human literary canon.

This post comes perilously close to being the Rick and Morty copypasta.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Asking a cyclops how he poops

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

its absolutely correct

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Would argue the lowest point of Wano was the Scabbards arriving at the port and seeing no army there, their faces realizing they couldn't accomplish their promise to their fallen friend. But there were multiple for sure.

no in most western narrative structures, that would be a mid-point low. we are more emotionally tied to luffy, and the timing of this particular low is meant to create an impossible situation of which there is no overcoming. seeing no one show up does not doom our PoV protagonist our goal. like in any narrative arc its the same thing that usually happens. one of the most common tropes associate with this is like the villain is "defeated" and comes back out of nowhere and imperils our protagonists in an impossible situation, and something fromearlier in the story saves their lives. if you watch a lot of 80s 90s movies, for whatever reason this is like the love interest shooting the villain. often times its just a narrative device you're meant to forgot about, usually a chekhovs gun.

in any case, thats why i think wano "felt" better than dressrosa. it was both the timing and the narrative devices used.

this isnt meant to be some like "one piece is actually genius and heres why" poo poo, its just oda knows how to write a good arc and knows how to write plot and tension as well as similar works. he watches a lot of movies and poo poo so its pretty obvious why.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

drat, more 3d anime should look like this

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

anime was right posted:

no in most western narrative structures, that would be a mid-point low.

not to say anything in the post is wrong, but wano is pretty strongly structured like a kabuki play rather than an overtly western structure

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Paper Lion posted:

one piece legitimately has more in common with the epic of gilgamesh or the odyssey than it has with naruto or bleach.

I mean I wouldn’t go as far as

Silver2195 posted:

but if you’re going to make a case for One Piece’s place in the literary canon, it makes a lot more sense to consider Oda a descendent of Dickens, Dumas, Verne, Doyle, Melville, etc. He’s a great writer of serialized fiction for a popular audience, and while I’m no expert on the topic, it sounds like there’s a rich history of serialization in Japanese publications like newspapers. It’s neat that, like all those older, fancier works, One Piece’s popularity is also due in part to a socially conscious narrative about contemporary political struggles! Neat essay material!

That sounds like a lot of work to talk and think about, though, and it’s probably less interesting than to think about Oda’s place in the manga and comics canon. I can’t tell from One Piece if he’s ever read any Dickens, but you know that man has studied every panel Toriyama drew. One Piece isn’t the Epic of Gilgamesh, but I think it would have to gently caress up really badly here at the end to miss out on being seen as a masterpiece of the medium.

If anyone has a good link that talks about Oda’s influences and/or literary pretensions, I’d be interested to read it!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

rko posted:

if you’re going to make a case for One Piece’s place in the literary canon, it makes a lot more sense to consider Oda a descendent of Dickens, Dumas, Verne, Doyle, Melville, etc.

I've repeatedly told my friends who aren't into manga that One Piece is essentially this generation's Count of Monte Cristo as far as being a long form serialized story that has a lot more literary depth than some of its peers (and even the bulk of other popular modern lit)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
one piece’s closest literary comparison is journey to the west

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

scary ghost dog posted:

It's more of a Water Margin at this point, isn't it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

scary ghost dog posted:

Nobody has eaten a Devil Fruit that makes you pregnant yet

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

it's coming though, we all know it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mikeycp posted:

not to say anything in the post is wrong, but wano is pretty strongly structured like a kabuki play rather than an overtly western structure

i mean pacing wise it really isnt very different from a western 3 act structure, its just the acts are labeled different

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spent the whole time expecting this to be animation for a gacha pull. Disappointed its not.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

One big thing I wish One Piece had was more ocean-faring stuff and more pirate stuff

Like "The New World is way more dangerous!" but in practice that just means that more powerful pirates hang out there, and not necessarily that the environment itself is more dangerous

Despite the world being 99% water, there's so little action happening on the water

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Begemot posted:

It's more of a Water Margin at this point, isn't it?

its like if monkey showed up in water margin

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
idt its fair to call nika a retcon. all who's who did was give a name to it, it's pretty clear luffy was literally always The Sun God. the drat guy with a moon beard died to signal the start of luffy's era

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
The Skypiea cope is so funny because not only does the one pose everyone points to not really look like Nika, it ends on Luffy making a real silhouette that is far more important and inspiring thematically but everyone misses the forest for the trees in search for a conspiracy so they can make a youtube video about it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
skypiaea has like one line foreshadowing nika. the real interesting part is the shandoran history implied by their ponegliff

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I can believe Oda always had the idea the gum gum fruit was something More and maybe even that the looney tunes aspect would be more front and center.

I can also believe that the specific way it would come about (the Nika fruit and Nika as a central figure in the series) was not decided on until much later-possibly not until he was drafting Zou/Wano proper-, and that he just looked at what had been laid out in the story and tried to bring it together.

We know that for as much as Oda clearly has plans, those plans often change and he'll just as often add new poo poo into the world and just try to work with it. He had everyone up to Jinbei planned & many weren't changed too much but a ton about others from design, to personality to backstory for a number of them changed considerably by the time they actually landed. The warlords & supernovas were never part of The Plan but at this point that's irrelevant; he brought them into the fold to varying degrees of importance and had a long enough runway to do that.

There's probably lots of things that wound up being "retcons" we'd never know because we don't have insight to the full story outline he's had in his mind. The Nika thing probably just sticks out a lot more because it felt very sudden and brings a lot of logistics questions to mind and also triggers a number of people's distate for things being super special so they're going to be more critical of it.

rannum fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 20, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah it would not surprise me at all if Super Luffy being a cartoon man was an idea on the horizon from super early on.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m gonna be honest, I don’t think Oda had a lot planned beyond “fun magic pirate adventure” and largely just had vague ideas about stuff like the Sun God, Void Century, and the Elder Stars that he used his largely episodic format of going to different islands that are mostly their own biomes to just shelve a lot of said vague ideas until he could figure out what to do with them. but if anything that makes Oda a better writer for just winging it and coming up with such cool payoffs to stuff he probably never initially gave much thought to.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

anime was right posted:

no in most western narrative structures, that would be a mid-point low. we are more emotionally tied to luffy, and the timing of this particular low is meant to create an impossible situation of which there is no overcoming. seeing no one show up does not doom our PoV protagonist our goal. like in any narrative arc its the same thing that usually happens. one of the most common tropes associate with this is like the villain is "defeated" and comes back out of nowhere and imperils our protagonists in an impossible situation, and something fromearlier in the story saves their lives. if you watch a lot of 80s 90s movies, for whatever reason this is like the love interest shooting the villain. often times its just a narrative device you're meant to forgot about, usually a chekhovs gun.

in any case, thats why i think wano "felt" better than dressrosa. it was both the timing and the narrative devices used.

this isnt meant to be some like "one piece is actually genius and heres why" poo poo, its just oda knows how to write a good arc and knows how to write plot and tension as well as similar works. he watches a lot of movies and poo poo so its pretty obvious why.

I thought Wano felt better than Dressrosa because they actually got some loving animation budget and paced themselves somewhat better.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

He has said he wanted from the start to make a manga with "The most epic conclusion he could imagine" so what we know is that he started with the general pirate theme concept, then figured out what the ending was going to be, and then we can imagine he worked backwards from there. If you have a clear ending defined, it's a lot easier to wing things out as you go because you already know where all the dots connect so its just fleshing things out along the way.

This is the exact opposite writing of Naruto Bleach et al where they start with a cool first chapter and iterate from there and we all know how that turns out.

It also makes Oda's initial idea of wrapping the manga up in 5 years at Alabasta seem shockingly naive...

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Considering the length of the average manga especially when One Piece came out, five years wasn't an unreasonable estimate at the very beginning even if we assume it would extend a year or two longer.

Big lol now of course.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 20, 2024

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The very first chapter features haki that wasn't explained for hundreds of chapters

Had anyone asked oda in an sbs whether Magellan's poison can be resisted via haki

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’d guess not, you can block/purge the weird otherworldly effects of devil fruits like Doc Q’s Turned Into A Girl Disease but trying to make poison ineffective seems like the same category of trying to haki man your way through Ceaser’s carbon monoxide poisoning. I guess you can use supreme armament haki to just keep it away though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The chinese mobile gacha game looks absolutely incredible and all but i saw a gameplay clip which, despite looking fine enough, Sanji was able to attack Miss Double Finger, so the game is complete trash.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luffy figured out the cure to poison anyway, you just assume that after getting poisoned near fatally once, you are now completely immune to it! :haw:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I’m guessing that you can resist mega poison, and pretty much any other effect by being “strong as gently caress”.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

tbp posted:

the drat guy with a moon beard died to signal the start of luffy's era

Saint Garling is still alive...? :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

mikeycp posted:

At some point in the last decade it feels like people became fixated with content only advancing the plot and how it's bad if it takes a second to breathe or have fun

I really do not get it

Give me an inconsequential arc where the straw hats are trapped in a pinball machine or something idk. I just like my dumb goobers doing weird adventures

I enjoy when the Straw Hats go on random adventures (kinda like what we had in Zou), but at this point I'm mostly concerned with Oda finishing the story before he dies.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Just cuz Oda is a fan of wacky races doesn’t mean the climax of his life’s work is going to involve wacky races

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ubiquitus posted:

Just cuz Oda is a fan of wacky races doesn’t mean the climax of his life’s work is going to involve wacky races

It should though

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Ubiquitus posted:

Why not?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sockser posted:

One big thing I wish One Piece had was more ocean-faring stuff and more pirate stuff

Like "The New World is way more dangerous!" but in practice that just means that more powerful pirates hang out there, and not necessarily that the environment itself is more dangerous

Despite the world being 99% water, there's so little action happening on the water
There's a few environmental threats I guess - Punk Hazard's extreme environment, the Territorial Sea Slugs, Wano's extremely difficult entry which caused major problems for multiple seasoned pirate crews and the Warm Eddy that almost killed Bonny. But yeah the emphasis is definitely off them due to the more serial nature of the story, which has less space for interludes about wacky environmental problems.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The relative lack of trouble the straw hats have had with environmental dangers is just an indicator of how goated Nami is as a navigator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is Bonney's crew dead?