Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Kingtheninja posted:

God drat, streets of fire is a very solid 4k choice. Watched it for the first time in a few years and it just really boosts the movie.

It and The Warriors look absolutely fantastic. Two movies I already loved and it had them feeling brand new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

88 Films' 4k for The Blood on Satan's Claw is gorgeous.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

pwn posted:

Assuming you don't stop at Eco cases, if you end up replacing regular Elite/Vortex cases please consider sending them my way rather than the landfill. I'm tired of dealing with pirates on eBay for replacement cases.

Personally I do not understand why people wanna use those sleeves, pretty sure they will live to regret it (how many people who did similar things with their CD collections 20 years ago still have everything intact vs. people who just kept things in their cases?) But then I can see the advantages... (nervously glances around at growing stacks of media)

I had thought about the demand for the regular blue cases, so I'll probably offer them up here if there's interest.

Seriously, I'm probably stopping at just major studio regular Blus and Warner Archive that don't have slips. I considered adding Kino Lorber to the list, but too many of their releases are OOP or likely to go OOP. At most, I'd only swap out the few standard edition Arrow and Indicator discs I own, but even those are at least in the nicer clear cases already.

But I don't have any regrets and likely won't. Nearly all the Blu-rays I've switched to the sleeves were picked up for under $10 each.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

ultraviolence123 posted:

88 Films' 4k for The Blood on Satan's Claw is gorgeous.

I’m happy with my Severin blu…. But god I bet that 4K is stunning

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ok I learned my lesson, I will never again consider “big sale on Troma movies!” an exciting phrase.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Ordered the Shinobi trilogy from Orbit last friday and it's already here today, and its release date isn't supposed to be until the 27th.

Have been watching the Zatoichi criterion set over the past month or two and finally going to see the last film tonight. Really enjoyed most of them with maybe two or three were just unremarkable and forgettable

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Egbert Souse posted:

After some hesitation, I ended up ordering a pack of the Tarifold Blu-ray sleeves. I've noticed a lot of people started using their CD sleeves, so I was curious about how they'd look for Blu-rays.

The way these work, you basically take the paper slip and your disc(s) and drop them into a polypropelyne sleeve that folds at the top. It's nice plastic that doesn't feel flimsy. I went a step further and bought a pack of 100 double-sided non-woven lined CD sleeves to add a bit of extra protection for discs, as well as make it more practical for a few titles that had more than one disc. One highlight was being able to have the Blus Gremlins and Gremlins 2 share a sleeve with the first film's 4K.

Now, before you ask, I'm not touching stuff like Criterion, Arrow and Indicator limited editions, anything in nicer packaging, etc. My first course of action was to eliminate as many of those godawful eco cases from my collection as possible. All my non-Warner Archive Warner releases, a bunch of Fox, and some Lionsgate. Much to my surprise, most of my Paramount, Disney, and Universal discs seem to use proper cases. It's astounding how much room is saved.

I think my overall plan is to convert at least anything in a plain blue case (eco or not) and if I somehow have an abundance of cash and shelf space in the future, I can just buy some bulk clear Elite cases to replace the recycled blue ones. It felt so good to dump about 50 of the eco cases into the recycling bin, all while freeing up a surprising amount of room on my shelf.

I did the switch on my cds after ripping everything in FLAC and stored all the cds away in some nice boxes. Only the jewel cased ones anything with a strange package got a plastic sleeve to live in and boxed away. I have pulled a few to take on road trips and it wasn’t a bad experience. The plastic is pretty heavy duty and holds well.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TheMopeSquad posted:

Have been watching the Zatoichi criterion set over the past month or two and finally going to see the last film tonight. Really enjoyed most of them with maybe two or three were just unremarkable and forgettable

Can we get your top 5 or so? I've only seen the first one (and the Takeshi remake), and was gonna watch the 2nd one, also heard Chest of Gold is a good one.

Gripweed posted:

Ok I learned my lesson, I will never again consider “big sale on Troma movies!” an exciting phrase.

I don't know about the sale thing, but I do heartily recommend every Lloyd Kaufman movie! Toxie 1-4, Kabukiman, Tromeo & Juliet, Poultrygeist, Class of Nuke 'em High, you name it.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo, Zatoichi at the Fire Festival, and Zatoichi the Outlaw are pretty definitively the best and after that it's a bit hard to remember what's what let alone round out a top five. Off the top of my head I liked Zatoichi's Cane Sword and Zatoichi Challenged. Fight Zatoichi Fight where he takes care of the baby is good.

Chest of Gold is the one where his actual brother plays the villain (who also played Ichi's brother in the second film and is the star of Lone Wolf and Cub and the Bounty Hunter) it was pretty good. It also stood out because it's a little different than practically every other film in the way he acts and the big fight at the end.

TheMopeSquad fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 7, 2024

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The thing that really amazed me about the Zatoichi set is that even though they're formulaic, if you like the formula there are none of them that are just straight up garbage. I honestly enjoyed every single one of them and never really felt like getting through the entire set was a slog in any way.

I also ordered the much-later Darkness Is His Ally from Australia but I haven't watched it yet.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Got an update from the Keepa app that the price was down on the Lawrence of Arabia 4K on Amazon. It's listed as "temporarily out of stock" but I put in an order in case they're expecting stock soon.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

RichterIX posted:

The thing that really amazed me about the Zatoichi set is that even though they're formulaic, if you like the formula there are none of them that are just straight up garbage. I honestly enjoyed every single one of them and never really felt like getting through the entire set was a slog in any way.

I think it works because Zatoichi is so entertaining even when he's not fighting and being dramatic just watching him interact with the world in every scene even if he's just walking around, eating rice and drinking sake. He's such an adorable chubby dork.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TheMopeSquad posted:

Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo, Zatoichi at the Fire Festival, and Zatoichi the Outlaw are pretty definitively the best and after that it's a bit hard to remember what's what let alone round out a top five. Off the top of my head I liked Zatoichi's Cane Sword and Zatoichi Challenged. Fight Zatoichi Fight where he takes care of the baby is good.

Chest of Gold is the one where his actual brother plays the villain (who also played Ichi's brother in the second film and is the star of Lone Wolf and Cub and the Bounty Hunter) it was pretty good. It also stood out because it's a little different than practically every other film in the way he acts and the big fight at the end.

I second the recommendation for all of these and would also add Samaritan Zatoichi and Zatoichi’s Pilgrimage.

TheMopeSquad posted:

I think it works because Zatoichi is so entertaining even when he's not fighting and being dramatic just watching him interact with the world in every scene even if he's just walking around, eating rice and drinking sake. He's such an adorable chubby dork.

:agreed:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I remember really liking the 2003 Zatoichi except that they used cgi blood.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The_Rob posted:

Yeah but at least they did something with it, they made the blood really dramatic and theatrical.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

4K UHD sale at Shout! Factory

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, good ol Zatoichi, thanks for the recs. I have an interest in it but not quite 20 films or whatever, so I like dipping my toe in the saga.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, good ol Zatoichi, thanks for the recs. I have an interest in it but not quite 20 films or whatever, so I like dipping my toe in the saga.

They're all on Criterion Channel if you want to check them out without dropping three figures on the box set sight unseen.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Hoping the Crow 4K has stock, I just got a notice from Amazon that my order from months ago has been delayed and am just fully expecting it to not be available at this point.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

:pwn:

Well their 10% coupon took off 8.99 and made the deal even better. What's a little forever-living-in-debt, right.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

pwn posted:

Well their 10% coupon took off 8.99 and made the deal even better. What's a little forever-living-in-debt, right.
Haha, I went for those four Laika movies, too

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah there's a lot of shout stuff I'm always looking at (man in the iron mask) but I have to wait for the next one, too many upcoming releases already.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Couldn't resist. Now I own all of the Child's Play movies in 4K.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Me, smug, before clicking on the link: I am above this, I am not tempted by sales, I am not like these fools

Me, 5 minutes later, after clicking on the link: I need to see several of these movies in very high quality, I am a sucker and a fool, I have spent $75

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I've somehow managed to resist upgrading Streets of Fire, getting Slumber Party Massacre 1 & 2, and finally grabbing They Live...but it was close. For once I'm glad I definitely do not have the money for it right this second.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gotta be strong... saving all my money this month for Cynthia Rothrock movies at Halfway to Black Friday.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Everyone doing sales all at once.

From Shout 4K I grabbed:
Clue
Pumpkinhead
The Dead Zone
They Live -Steelbook

Last one is an upgrade but I don’t mind double dipping on Carpenter.

Also grabbed the Nausicaa steelbook as I’ve been meaning to do that for a while.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Casimir Radon posted:

Everyone doing sales all at once.

From Shout 4K I grabbed:
Clue
Pumpkinhead
The Dead Zone
They Live -Steelbook

Last one is an upgrade but I don’t mind double dipping on Carpenter.

Also grabbed the Nausicaa steelbook as I’ve been meaning to do that for a while.

Good stuff! Obligatory have you seen Castle of Cagliostro post, Miyazaki's second deserves Miyazaki's first!

Also, Christopher, Walken, he's really good... in the Dead.. Zone, really liked it.

So it looks like my next piece of physical media may be the Laverne & Shirley complete series DVD set. It only has sporadic episodes up to stream on Amazon. That's how they get ya.

pwn
May 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Me, smug, before clicking on the link: I am above this, I am not tempted by sales, I am not like these fools

Me, 5 minutes later, after clicking on the link: I need to see several of these movies in very high quality, I am a sucker and a fool, I have spent $75

I am replying to affirm your poor financial decisions and keep myself deluded that no, actually I am smart for borrowing high interest money I don't have to throw more shiny discs into the bottomless hole in my soul.

ringu0 posted:

Haha, I went for those four Laika movies, too

:hfive:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

feedmyleg posted:

Heh, yeah…75 seems like a lot…for sure…

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Loads of Once Upon a Time in the West BD vs. UHD comparisons: https://slow.pics/c/WRezQSDg

I like the colours of the UHD (blue skies, yay), but they really went overboard on the filtering (possibly caused by the compression to a 66 GB disc). Apparently there's a streaming version with a higher bitrate on something called Kaleidescape.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The_Rob posted:

I think this still doesn't have a good release unfortunately, I need to look it up. I don't think any of the existing blu-rays in any region get the color timing right, so I think the best copy might be the DVD?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

I think this still doesn't have a good release unfortunately, I need to look it up. I don't think any of the existing blu-rays in any region get the color timing right, so I think the best copy might be the DVD?

The German and UK editions have very different colour timings: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=10791&d2=10789&c=4305

I have no idea which one is correct - though I think the UK has the same colour as the Japanese BD, so I guess that's more likely to be correct... maybe?

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ovUB-OavE

We've covered this topic here recently but I found myself watching all 41 minutes of this before bed last night. Very edifying

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Steen71 posted:

The German and UK editions have very different colour timings: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=10791&d2=10789&c=4305

I have no idea which one is correct - though I think the UK has the same colour as the Japanese BD, so I guess that's more likely to be correct... maybe?

I think the German version looks more like what I remember from seeing a print in a theater a million years ago, but I might also be talking out of my rear end again.

The Japanese BD looks pretty similar color-wise to the Miramax one too so it's hard to say.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ovUB-OavE

We've covered this topic here recently but I found myself watching all 41 minutes of this before bed last night. Very edifying

I feel kinda lucky that I didn't get into collecting movies until the blu ray era. For one thing you have the issue brought up in the video which is that DVDs are more susceptible to damage and rot, and then another thing is that I don't know if I would've had the ability to upgrade DVDs to blu ray and then a second time to UHD. Buying some of my favorite movies on two formats has been a bit annoying sometimes but I definitely would've been even more annoyed at having to buy them on three formats.

I think the only three movies I had in DVD, blu ray, and now UHD are Ghostbusters, Die Hard, and Blade Runner.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1788288971467792766

quote:

[DVD is not dead] "Dexter's Laboratory - The Complete Series" is coming in June.
It was the first series created by Genndy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls, Primal).
Preorders >> https://amzn.to/3wt4AjE
nice

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
loving finally. I remember when they first attempted to do season sets and never finished them over a decade ago.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Fantastic. Any idea if this contains the TV movie, as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Craig McCracken created The Powerpuff Girls (as well as 2 Stupid Dogs), though Tartakovsky did work on the show.