Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CancerStick posted:

My cat has/had ringworm and tapeworms this week and my Vet just put a topical on him like flea medicine and out the door we went. I figured that was normal?

Ringworm is a fungus, so a topical would be the appropriate treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I brought a couple lightning bugs in from outside since rear end in a top hat has been watching them through the balcony door.

He's still watching them through the door and I just have two lightning bugs flying around my apartment now.

Cats gonna cat.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

CancerStick posted:

My cat has/had ringworm and tapeworms this week and my Vet just put a topical on him like flea medicine and out the door we went. I figured that was normal?

We gave a pill to Luna La Tuna and have to give her another one next week. Over the counter, cleaned her up right away.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Gaj posted:

My friend rescued an adorable orange cat off the streets last week. This weeks vet trip informed her said cat (Peaches) is pregnant, estimate about 1 month in.
Whats the Pet Island guide to prep for cat labor/kittens? Peaches is less than a year old and 7 pounds.

She's young and small so this is a first time mom with all the risk that goes along with it. Being (presumably) underweight means kittens are more likely to have health problems. It sucks but the kindest option for everyone may be to see if the vet will do a spaybortion or point you at someone willing to do it. At roughly halfway through gestation this shouldn't be much more complicated than a standard spay but if the decision is put off it becomes harder both surgically and emotionally.

Source: I volunteered for the local TNR for several years, taking care of post-op cats. Pregnant cats got extra pain meds at the vet but didn't need extra recovery time before release and weren't more prone to anesthesia complications.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
After taking my cat to aforementioned idiot vet in hopes of trying to get some laxatives he wanted to pump him full of castor oil and...... an enema?

I told him to gently caress off. As I was hopelessly driving down the street I found some shanty looking rear end pet store. I asked him if he had anything for a laxative. Turns out that an actual, proper, vet clinic opened a few week ago. I paid $150 for a consultation, xray and blood work.

Acute renal failure.

Let's see how I'm going to loving proceed with this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Absolute motherfucker. Quack doctors are some of my most hated things in the world.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

She's young and small so this is a first time mom with all the risk that goes along with it. Being (presumably) underweight means kittens are more likely to have health problems. It sucks but the kindest option for everyone may be to see if the vet will do a spaybortion or point you at someone willing to do it. At roughly halfway through gestation this shouldn't be much more complicated than a standard spay but if the decision is put off it becomes harder both surgically and emotionally.

Source: I volunteered for the local TNR for several years, taking care of post-op cats. Pregnant cats got extra pain meds at the vet but didn't need extra recovery time before release and weren't more prone to anesthesia complications.

I agree. Don't look at this from a human viewpoint. She sounds too young and way too small to carry to term properly which will impact the kittens and her health. Having kittens also impacts a cats lifelong health and not in a postive way. If you can just get her spayed as suggested, it'd be best all round. Some people will resist like crazy because they want kittens but won't admit it. I hope your friend is sensible.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Apologies if this has been discussed, but does anyone have experience with or good resources about cats with FIV? It seems like it's not a huge deal on the whole so long as the cat is kept away from others, isn't fed raw food, has all its vaccinations etc kept up-to-date and is kept indoors but I'd like some reliable information about caring for a cat with the condition.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed, but does anyone have experience with or good resources about cats with FIV? It seems like it's not a huge deal on the whole so long as the cat is kept away from others, isn't fed raw food, has all its vaccinations etc kept up-to-date and is kept indoors but I'd like some reliable information about caring for a cat with the condition.

I can remember 3 or 4 passing through our rescue. You covered the salient points but I remember that secondary conditions they already had defined their quality of life. Most cats have or carry cat flu so expect recurring runny eyes and snuffles. If they catch something it's much harder for them to shake off and takes longer. Apart from that they can live normal lives. Runs that let them go outside have to take into account that cats touch noses, you may need 2 sheets of wire or plersplex lower panels.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I picked up one of these cuties at Big Lots yesterday (20% off sale, got it for $80!) and man, this thing kicks the crap out of the Bissel spot cleaner thing I had before. After cleaning up all the old puke stains on the carpet I ended up spending an hour cleaning the rest of my house because it does such a good job. It doesn't steam clean, so I expected it to not work wonders but it's far surpassed my expectations already. If you're looking for a carpet cleaner but are on a budget this thing's a pretty good deal.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Update: cat's abdomen is getting more swollen, they did an abdominal fluid sample and it doesn't look good. His liver already looks yellow from the outside after they shaved his belly. Vet wants to keep giving him IV saline and enzyme inducers for 3 more days and then do blood work.

He is virtually crippled. He is actually loving peeing himself. He can barely walk more than 2 steps because of how swollen his stomach is. I don't want him to keep suffering for a couple more days just for his case to end up futile. My current plan is to bring him to his scheduled IV fluid session tomorrow morning, and to do bloodwork immediately. If poo poo still looks messed up, put him down because I absolutely cannot stand seeing him suffer anymore. He's actually going through some mild convulsions and god knows what's going on inside of his body.

Is this the right way to go with this? I can definitely wait a few more days for him to keep infusing him with stuff. He might get better. It might turn out to be pointless and have him die regardless, and get him to suffer a few more days for no reason.

For reference his BUN and creatinine are astronomically high, his AST and ALT enzymes are good but his bilirubin is high. His albumin is a little below the range.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I'll say this.

Vets generally won't tell you the owner that the best thing is to put the animal down. They'll just keep "stringing you along" with treatments as long as you're willing to keep paying. It could work out, though. But recovery will also be torture sometimes. For the animal, and your mental health.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Sorry if I'm interrupting the flow of this thread but I have a weird fuckin' question.

I put out a mix of nuts for the squirrels and raccoons and chipmunks and big birds that live around my house. But I've noticed there's some outdoor cats that are coming and eating them. Now I shoo them away when I can, it can't be good for them to eat the nuts; but like... why are they doing this? They're cats! They don't have molars! Why are they coming here to eat nuts?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oh I thought you meant the squirrels.

Some cats just like weird foods, haven't heard of nuts being a thing before but random leafy vegetables definitely.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

owls or something posted:

I'll say this.

Vets generally won't tell you the owner that the best thing is to put the animal down. They'll just keep "stringing you along" with treatments as long as you're willing to keep paying. It could work out, though. But recovery will also be torture sometimes. For the animal, and your mental health.

3 more days of IV stuff is gonna be an easy $160 for them so I definitely see your point. I know it's a smart choice to be cautious of stuff but I also don't think being completely distrusting is the right thing to do. The vet already pointed out that he could always do an exploratory surgery on him for easy cash but he said it's not a good option given the cat's current health. He also did an ultrasound for free today.

He could also be doing some 4D chess poo poo by throwing out some freebies to gain my trust.

I've already bawled my eyes out enough to appreciate euthanasia as the most peaceful solution. But then comes the guilt of thinking he might get better in those 3 days.

So basically I have two goddamn dilemmas on my hand and I don't know what to do.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

owls or something posted:

I'll say this.

That hasn't been the case with any vet I've ever had in my life. They are obligated to tell you what options are available, but there's a difference between "I could do X but it is highly, highly unlikely he'll pull through and he'll be in pain the whole time." and "stringing you along as long as you're willing to keep paying."

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
What you're going through sucks thoroughly and I empathize with you. Only you and your vet can know what is best for your cat, but you should evaluate all of your care decisions for your friend with his future quality of life in mind. I hope that he has many more happy kitty days ahead of him and that you get to fully enjoy each one with him.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Ok, don't get hung up on the "stringing you along" choice of words I used. I see that doesn't come across very well in text.

I don't mean don't trust your vet.

I don't know how else to word it I guess. I mean dont just assume their willingness to keep treating something is really the best choice, I guess.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

rear end posted:

3 more days of IV stuff is gonna be an easy $160 for them so I definitely see your point. I know it's a smart choice to be cautious of stuff but I also don't think being completely distrusting is the right thing to do. The vet already pointed out that he could always do an exploratory surgery on him for easy cash but he said it's not a good option given the cat's current health. He also did an ultrasound for free today.

He could also be doing some 4D chess poo poo by throwing out some freebies to gain my trust.

I've already bawled my eyes out enough to appreciate euthanasia as the most peaceful solution. But then comes the guilt of thinking he might get better in those 3 days.

So basically I have two goddamn dilemmas on my hand and I don't know what to do.

So sorry you're having to go through this. And sorry for what your cat is going through.

I once had a really lovely, honest conversation with my beloved vet about this. He told me that many vets won't tell you when it's time, because it has to be your authentic decision. They know how gut-wrenching this is, and they don't want to lead you into such an irrevocable step, and then have you regretting it or blaming yourself (and, possibly blaming them) for years afterward. What they can do, if you ask gently and very clearly, is tell you whether there's much chance of the additional days of treatment making a real difference as opposed to just prolonging your cat's suffering.

I say this as a lifelong cat (and dog) owner who has never been entirely sure that I had the right to decide any other being's fate, much less one that I loved with all my heart and had committed to protect. Nonetheless, I have made the decision over the years whenever there was no quality of life left and little/no hope of recovery. I just also made darned sure that the last thing they experienced was being held in my arms.

It stinks to high heaven, but this is yours and only yours to decide. Good luck, and again, sorry you're going through it.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

TofuDiva posted:

So sorry you're having to go through this. And sorry for what your cat is going through.

I once had a really lovely, honest conversation with my beloved vet about this. He told me that many vets won't tell you when it's time, because it has to be your authentic decision. They know how gut-wrenching this is, and they don't want to lead you into such an irrevocable step, and then have you regretting it or blaming yourself (and, possibly blaming them) for years afterward. What they can do, if you ask gently and very clearly, is tell you whether there's much chance of the additional days of treatment making a real difference as opposed to just prolonging your cat's suffering.

I say this as a lifelong cat (and dog) owner who has never been entirely sure that I had the right to decide any other being's fate, much less one that I loved with all my heart and had committed to protect. Nonetheless, I have made the decision over the years whenever there was no quality of life left and little/no hope of recovery. I just also made darned sure that the last thing they experienced was being held in my arms.

It stinks to high heaven, but this is yours and only yours to decide. Good luck, and again, sorry you're going through it.

Thank you very much for this. It's reassuring enough. I'll make it very clear to my vet that I am absolutely willing to go for euthanasia if he believes it's the best course of action.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I also appreciate everybody else's input on this. It really means a whole lot.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Im assuming the most likely danger of this X number of stillborn kittens, but what exactly can the other complications be (C-section)? I agree that kittens should only be brought into the world under the best circumstance, but I think it will be hard to convince my friend to commit to spay-bortion.

Is it possible to house mom cat at the vet during her labor so at least shes in a medical setting whenever she decides to start up? Ultimately extended medical costs can be an issue and would push this thing in favor of spaying.

This thread may see kitten pix soon regardless of advice given or my best attempts.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

As an example, a feral that TinyKittens.com brought in from a colony they monitor ended up having an emergency C-section because her uterus was thinning and about to rupture. Mom and kittens would have died if the group didn't have such consistently good funding and a great vet available around the clock. They've also had a case where mom bit off kitten limbs in her over-enthusiasm to chew the umbilical cord and lots of other stories you and your friend can get from their site. Mom may have insufficient milk from being underweight, poor instincts because she's never done this before, or decide to reject one or all of them. Bottle feeding kittens is every 2-3 hours around the clock for the first month along with stimulation to use the bathroom, assuming they can figure out nursing and don't need to be tube fed that often instead. Birth defects are possible, fading kitten syndrome is possible. All of this is emotionally exhausting as well as physically. Waking up for feeding time only to find a small, stiffening body never becomes tolerable.

If a vet's willing to house her through labor, or be on call, that could be best case scenario but emergency vet pricing gets high in a hurry. This is the middle of kitten season in most places; rescues are going to be at capacity or stretched thin if your friend tries reaching out to local ones.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
The cat's breathing got harder and harder. I noticed at 4am. I freaked the gently caress out and did some insane googling to find a 24 hour emergency vet clinic 75 miles away. I drove as fast as I could. I arrived at 5:10am to be greeted with an enormous sign that said "open at 8am." The site mentioned the emergency department at least in 4 different places. I hopelessly went from one vet to another, fully knowing they're all closed. On the highway his breathing become incredibly labored until he sighed out his last breath at 6:45am, dying on my sister's lap.

I can only be happy knowing that I spent time with him until his last breath. Rest in peace Benji.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
rip, poor baby :(

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Aw poo poo :( you did your best!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm so sorry. You did the best you could, and he was obviously very loved.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm so sorry. My condolences
And yeah you did your best.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Oh no. I'm so sorry for your loss. I read the news on the train and spent a whole row of my knitting thinking about it, so that row is dedicated to Benji I guess, may he rest in peace.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

poo poo man we just went through the same type of thing with our Sleek. You did the best you could.
They looked like they could have been brothers.

So sorry for your loss.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am so loving pissed.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I appreciate everybody's condolences, it really means the world to me right now.

Thumposaurus, when you mentioned that Sleek looked a lot like my cat I felt compelled to check your previous posts in this thread and... holy poo poo

Thumposaurus posted:

It keeps happening

Not only did he look an awful lot like Benji, but he did the exact same thing all the time.

Edit: not only that but their bowels were both seemingly obstructed, they both had constipation and they both were anemic. They both passed away on July on a ride to the vet. It’s mind-blowing how extremely similar a lot of this was.

ass fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 15, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

rear end posted:

The cat's breathing got harder and harder. I noticed at 4am. I freaked the gently caress out and did some insane googling to find a 24 hour emergency vet clinic 75 miles away. I drove as fast as I could. I arrived at 5:10am to be greeted with an enormous sign that said "open at 8am." The site mentioned the emergency department at least in 4 different places. I hopelessly went from one vet to another, fully knowing they're all closed. On the highway his breathing become incredibly labored until he sighed out his last breath at 6:45am, dying on my sister's lap.

I can only be happy knowing that I spent time with him until his last breath. Rest in peace Benji.

Awww heck. He was beautiful, and you did all possible to give him a good life and help him when he needed it. I am so sorry for your loss.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
https://i.imgur.com/LBjacn9.gifv

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Ratzap posted:

I can remember 3 or 4 passing through our rescue. You covered the salient points but I remember that secondary conditions they already had defined their quality of life. Most cats have or carry cat flu so expect recurring runny eyes and snuffles. If they catch something it's much harder for them to shake off and takes longer. Apart from that they can live normal lives. Runs that let them go outside have to take into account that cats touch noses, you may need 2 sheets of wire or plersplex lower panels.

I live in a flat so there won't be any runs! Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
My 7 year old flamepoint died suddenly on Saturday when I was out of town. I feel terrible that I wasn't here, and I've basically been sobbing for the last two days. He was such a funny, sweet boy.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

il serpente cosmico posted:

My 7 year old flamepoint died suddenly on Saturday when I was out of town. I feel terrible that I wasn't here, and I've basically been sobbing for the last two days. He was such a funny, sweet boy.

I'm very sorry for your loss. You can tell from the photo that he was beautiful and sweet.

It's not your fault that you were away.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

D1E posted:

I'm very sorry for your loss. You can tell from the photo that he was beautiful and sweet.

It's not your fault that you were away.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm still trying to comprehend the whole thing.

4 years ago we had two dogs and a cat. Now they've all passed on. gently caress.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 17, 2019

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Man this is a rough month for PI pets. :( Sorry for your losses, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
My 14-year-old orange tabby is showing no interest in food. He's acting normal and had diarrhea last night. We're getting him to a vet tomorrow.

He has feline hyperesthesia so I'm hoping his stomach is just a little upset from the hair he's constantly eating.

King of my heart.