Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
They made the Time Patrol too efficient at pinpointing where time problems start, imo. It means you really can't make room for any of those interesting divergence points, because you can cut them right off at the "villain wins" point. I'd bet you that any of the "Villain beats Goku" scenarios in Xenoverse could've lead to some fun, interesting divergences, if not for them being stopped so soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

RFC2324 posted:

ah, i read it as power level.

I'm not sure if that's a translation thing or not. The wording always seems to be power level, in that it's a quantified measure, but in context it seems to be morality.

:shrug:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

There's a joke in the early exhibition matches where Beerus accuses Goku of dragging their universe's mortal level down for having absolutely no tact and Goku retorts that his virtuous scholar son raises it back up again.

This being Dragon Ball I can't fault anyone for assuming it measures a universe's punchiness though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bee posted:

They made the Time Patrol too efficient at pinpointing where time problems start, imo. It means you really can't make room for any of those interesting divergence points, because you can cut them right off at the "villain wins" point. I'd bet you that any of the "Villain beats Goku" scenarios in Xenoverse could've lead to some fun, interesting divergences, if not for them being stopped so soon.

The last DLC added scenarios where you can actually join the "change the timeline" side and it does lead to some fun stuff, hopefully they'll take that as a starting point for Xenoverse 3 and give the player more freedom and more cool what-ifs instead of Xenoverse's usually lame changes.

Anyways, you people wanted Goku to crossover with other series? Here's your wish come true! In another Shonen Jump game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbKERVwqr0o

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I...I guess that counts for "put Goku in Smash" purposes?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Dias posted:

I...I guess that counts for "put Goku in Smash" purposes?

I totally want to see a SSB Kirby throwing kamehamehas back at Goku now.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it doesnt coutn gently caress you!!!!!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stairmaster posted:

it doesnt coutn gently caress you!!!!!

Jump sucks, now we're definitely not getting Goku in Smash. :smith:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Bardock should have looked like Raditz instead of Goku

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Bardock should have looked like Raditz instead of Goku

Why? Do you want Bardock to be forgotten?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Covok posted:

wouldn't mind it really

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Covok posted:

It would be funnier

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
At this point are we even sure if Raditz was even Goku's brother in the traditional sense? For all we know all the lower class Saiyans thought of each other that way.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He has Gine's hair sort of

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

in any other series, the mysterious brother of the main protagonist would be such a big deal and it's just not in Dragon Ball and it's so funny

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Blaze Dragon posted:

The last DLC added scenarios where you can actually join the "change the timeline" side and it does lead to some fun stuff, hopefully they'll take that as a starting point for Xenoverse 3 and give the player more freedom and more cool what-ifs instead of Xenoverse's usually lame changes.

Anyways, you people wanted Goku to crossover with other series? Here's your wish come true! In another Shonen Jump game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbKERVwqr0o

I just have to laugh when these crossovers happen and Bleach is just nowhere to be seen.

And then I cry. :negative:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Momomo posted:

At this point are we even sure if Raditz was even Goku's brother in the traditional sense? For all we know all the lower class Saiyans thought of each other that way.

Dragon Ball Minus.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Sucks.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Hopefully godtube becomes popular and the other Universes get to watch U7 fight Broly. Wonder what Jiren would think to see a piece of broccoli swatting around That Goddamned Carrot.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Yesh posted:

Hopefully godtube becomes popular and the other Universes get to watch U7 fight Broly. Wonder what Jiren would think to see a piece of broccoli swatting around That Goddamned Carrot.

Broly killed his parents as a giant muscle baby.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Broly killed his parents as a giant muscle baby.

He's a big buff baby who can punch like a man.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

TheHan posted:

I just have to laugh when these crossovers happen and Bleach is just nowhere to be seen.

And then I cry. :negative:

I was talking with my boss, coincidentally a bigger anime fan than I am, and he namechecked FMA Brotherhood as his favorite anime. Is it not in the Big 3 because it's not a Jump thing? Or is it too complex to really qualify as a punchmans comic?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Fawf posted:

Sucks.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

I was talking with my boss, coincidentally a bigger anime fan than I am, and he namechecked FMA Brotherhood as his favorite anime. Is it not in the Big 3 because it's not a Jump thing? Or is it too complex to really qualify as a punchmans comic?

it was a monthly manga in square enix's comic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangan_Comics#Monthly_Sh%C5%8Dnen_Gangan

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Covok posted:

Yes.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Is Episode of Bardock even Canon? I don't want it to be but it is animated and it isn't like the old movies that didn't even pretend to fit the series timeline.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

Is Episode of Bardock even Canon? I don't want it to be but it is animated and it isn't like the old movies that didn't even pretend to fit the series timeline.

It's not canon at all.

Neither is Broly

Super Broly is though!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It also sold less total copies. By a lot.

FMA is still an astounding success (Top 25 levels of success), but Bleach is one of the few manga to sell over 100 million volumes.

Anime's also shorter. FMA's 5 cours if you just watch Brotherhood, shorter than MHA's going to hit this season. Bleach is a full-on Long Runner with over 300 episodes.

Ask people their favorite these days, Full Metal Alchemist wins at a walk, but it's not the same kind of thing as Bleach.

Seriously, looking back at Bleach's level of success is weird, given how it tends to be remembered.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

people don't remember bleach fondly because it became bad; it didn't start that way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

people don't remember bleach fondly because it became bad; it didn't start that way

I admit I never got far into it but my impression of Bleach was always "less interesting Yu Yu Hakusho."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's a pretty high bar tbh

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Manatee Cannon posted:

God, don't remind me of how much I would have prefered if Bleach stayed the way it started a little longer instead of dying a slow and repetitive death.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked Bleach a lot, The Soul Society arc was a perfect ending, I love short run stories !

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

galagazombie posted:

Is heavily implied to be from the small Bardock cameo in the original manga directly referencing it and not really contradict or being contradicted by Minus. There's also the fact of being reworked into the actual opening of Z on Kai but I dunno how much input Toriyama had in that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is heavily implied to be from the small Bardock cameo in the original manga directly referencing it and not really contradict or being contradicted by Minus. There's also the fact of being reworked into the actual opening of Z on Kai but I dunno how much input Toriyama had in that.

That's "Dragon Ball Z: A Lonesome, Final Battle - The Father of Z Warrior Son Goku, who Challenged Freeza" you're thinking of. The one where Bardock dies.

Episode of Bardock is the one where he goes super saiyan.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Episode of Bardock is a DB Heroes thing, I believe, so its not canon.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

chiasaur11 posted:

That's "Dragon Ball Z: A Lonesome, Final Battle - The Father of Z Warrior Son Goku, who Challenged Freeza" you're thinking of. The one where Bardock dies.

Episode of Bardock is the one where he goes super saiyan.

Ah my bad, I always got the names mixed up. Then no, even the author herself considered Episode of Bardock to be a what if story. However, I've seen talk online of one official timeline including it but I've never seen the timeline itself.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bad moment from the latest dubbed episode: Hit's awful "make the donuts" poo poo made it into the show

Good moment from the latest dubbed episode: Piccolo referring to himself as "the grillmaster"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Going back to Bleach for a sec: it was Bad for several years at the end, but I'll go for more after Kubo's latest stunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Bad moment from the latest dubbed episode: Hit's awful "make the donuts" poo poo made it into the show

Good moment from the latest dubbed episode: Piccolo referring to himself as "the grillmaster"

Both of those are good