Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/KamehaCon/status/1017940055615254528

Amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

esperterra posted:

e: chad was a baller so I'm glad to hear he seems to last the whole series even if he isn't important enough for an epilogue lol

chad did get an epilogue, he was a boxer or something? they were watching him fight on tv I think

I like to imagine he loses every match, and every single time the commentators are shocked

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tatsuki should be punchin ppl on tv

sad!

e: goddamnit now I'm thinking about reading or watching bleach

esperterra fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 15, 2018

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I remember when the pink haired girl's bones turned into cookies

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Didn't she end up being a sword too?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fawf posted:

kenpachi's sword yes. she also had her own sword that was 2 more swords

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So many swords

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

does that make kenpachi the zoro of bleach

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This is honestly just making me want to revist Bleach even more, that sounds loving stupid but in a way I would appreciate

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It sounds like Bleach is stupid but in a bad way,

unlike Dragon Ball, which is stupid in all the best ways

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Fawf posted:

Yeah, Yachiru was the spirit of Kenpachi's sword. Kenpachi was so powerful that she manifested her own zanputko with its own powers that were separate from Kenpachi's. And those powers involved her making TWO MORE Zanputko spirits who had their own swords. In other word, Kenpachi is SO POWERFUL that his Zanputko spirit manifested years ago and no one ever knew that she was a zanputko spirit, not a person and they even officially made her a lieutenant and she had her own powers and those powers allowed her to manifest two additional spirits with their own swords. All because Kenpachi is just that loving popular powerful!!!

In other words, it really sounds like a hard retcon or one of those ideas he had in the back of his head and periodically forgot about so, when he finally did it, it seems like a convoluted mess that makes no sense.

Speaking of convoluted messes...

esperterra posted:

Tatsuki should be punchin ppl on tv

sad!

e: goddamnit now I'm thinking about reading or watching bleach

Read Bleach up to like the end of Soul Society. See how you feel. Don't watch the Bount Arc (since you mentioned that's when you dropped last time) because the anime filler is...questionable. Beast Swords Arc is literal dog poo poo, for example. Skip to the Arrancar Arc. Actually, you know what? Just read the manga. It's better. If you like Soul Society, then read a little of the Arrancar Arc. See how you feel. If you make it through that, you can maybe read the Fullbringer arc. It's inoffensive, but a little boring. I would highly recommend stopping there. You can do the Thousand Year Blood War and I bet it's easier now that it's all done and you don't have to wait week by week, but it's A LOT to read and it becomes a slog very quickly.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 15, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've read up to the end of the Soul Society arc sooo many times, man I loved Bleach before it became increasingly obvious they would drop half the characters I cared about and had been waiting to return to once poo poo started happening on Earth again.

I remember downloading fansubs of the anime on fuckin dialup back when it first started airing, but dropped watching it before it hit SS. so I might redo the first arc and SS through that and either skip Bount or just watch it while doing something else. I don't even remember where I left off lmao drat it's been a long time. Is the localization for the dub half decent? idc if the performances are bad but if the scripts are dece I might go with that just so I can use Bleach as background noise while I play Rimworld or something.

I just want to watch ridiculous sword things happen and I like Kubo's art style so if the show delivers enough of that it might be worth skimmin thru most of it. That last arc sounds so ridiculously bad tho, especially in manga form.

e: prob gna peep the arrancar arc in manga form tho b/c you've reminded me that I think people told me that one was p good back when it was coming out

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

In these shows I always pick a side character to like, but never the one who becomes relevant ever.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

rare Magic card l00k posted:

In these shows I always pick a side character to like, but never the one who becomes relevant ever.

100% what happened with me and Bleach. Seemed like they were setting Tatsuki up to actually develop her powers, and then she just ... didn't lmao

The character with the most history with our lead and she just fades into the background smdh

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Covok posted:

Yeah, Yachiru was the spirit of Kenpachi's sword. Kenpachi was so powerful that she manifested her own zanputko with its own powers that were separate from Kenpachi's. And those powers involved her making TWO MORE Zanputko spirits who had their own swords. In other word, Kenpachi is SO POWERFUL that his Zanputko spirit manifested years ago and no one ever knew that she was a zanputko spirit, not a person and they even officially made her a lieutenant and she had her own powers and those powers allowed her to manifest two additional spirits with their own swords. All because Kenpachi is just that loving popular powerful!!!

Kenpachi also fought a guy who could warp reality into anything he imagined, and won because when they guy tried to imagine himself as stronger than Kenpachi his body just blew itself apart.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

esperterra posted:

I've read up to the end of the Soul Society arc sooo many times, man I loved Bleach before it became increasingly obvious they would drop half the characters I cared about and had been waiting to return to once poo poo started happening on Earth again.

I remember downloading fansubs of the anime on fuckin dialup back when it first started airing, but dropped watching it before it hit SS. so I might redo the first arc and SS through that and either skip Bount or just watch it while doing something else. I don't even remember where I left off lmao drat it's been a long time. Is the localization for the dub half decent? idc if the performances are bad but if the scripts are dece I might go with that just so I can use Bleach as background noise while I play Rimworld or something.

I just want to watch ridiculous sword things happen and I like Kubo's art style so if the show delivers enough of that it might be worth skimmin thru most of it. That last arc sounds so ridiculously bad tho, especially in manga form.

e: prob gna peep the arrancar arc in manga form tho b/c you've reminded me that I think people told me that one was p good back when it was coming out

Well, I'd say go ahead. The dub is pretty good. It's a modern dub. So the script stays close to the original with little to no ad-libs. The only changes are things like translations. So, Soul Society instead of Sereitei and spiritual pressure instead of whatever the gently caress they called it in Japanese. And Johnny Young Bosh is actually pretty perfect for Ichigo.

Also, yeah, the beginning of the Arrancar arc is actually good. And it stays good for like the first 8/9. But that last 9th, the actual final battle with Aizen, is very dragged out and ends with a deus ex machina.

It's worth noting that you have to read the Thousand Year Blood War. There is no anime adapation. The anime ends with the ending of the Fullbringer Arc. That's when a lot of people jumped from the series, you see. Most people just wanted to see the end of Aizen since, you know, the entire series was building up to it. Once it happened, like 70% of readership jumped. I'm not even joking: sales tanked HARD. So, they pulled back on all the merchandising hard and straight up ended the anime when the Fullbringer arc ended. They also just said "gently caress it" when the video games, toys, etc. The series used to have almost yearly game releases to "maybe a mobile game once every three years."

So, yeah, only way to read TYBW is to get the manga.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gruckles posted:

Kenpachi also fought a guy who could warp reality into anything he imagined, and won because when they guy tried to imagine himself as stronger than Kenpachi his body just blew itself apart.

lmao

^^ good to hear about the dub, that'll make watching it way easier if I can just let the poo poo I don't care about fade into the background and not worry bout paying attention to the subs. i do like johnny young bosch and he's prob a good fit for ichi, yeah

good to know bout the final arc, I couldn't remember if the anime stopped before kubo finished or not

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Would you say the anime ending was better or worse than how Kubo finally ended the manga version (in other words, if I was thinking of checking out the series for myself should I even bother reading the manga)?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As far as I'm aware the manga has the same story as the anime + the final arc, barring filler and probably however the anime wraps things up?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

rare Magic card l00k posted:

That was Chad for me. I was reading Bleach for a bit longer after the Soul Society arc, and I remember Chad getting his amazing powerup in the form of two demon arms instead of just one, only to immediately job to whoever anyway and needing a Soul Society captain to bail him out. I think that was the formula for every fight in that arc, actually? A friend of Ichigo powers up, gets owned, captain shows up, and I got bored way before they got to Aizen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

esperterra posted:

As far as I'm aware the manga has the same story as the anime + the final arc, barring filler and probably however the anime wraps things up?

Let me rephrase that, should I bother going any further beyond the arc the anime ended on?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Larryb posted:

Would you say the anime ending was better or worse than how Kubo finally ended the manga version (in other words, if I was thinking of checking out the series for myself should I even bother reading the manga)?

Well, I never saw the anime ending. They could have hosed it up. The anime, itself, is worse than the manga due to an inconsistent animation budget and the fact it looks a lot more generic and takes away the "coolness" factor of Kubo's original art. That said, it was probably for the best to end things at the Fullbringer Arc. The entire series built to the fight with Aizen and everything after that felt wrong. Fullbringer works as a decent epilouge. TYBW is just a drawn out mess of a story that's hard to reccomend to anyone who isn't super fan who has to know everything. It has it's moments, but, like, it's just so long and boring and monotonous and formulaic (I have this power I reveal at the end of the issue and now I'm winning until you reveal your perfect counter and beat me up for an issue and rinse, lather, repeat). If you just HAVE to know how it ends, sure. But I would say "gently caress it" and go read Jojo or MHA or Yu Yu Hakasho or any other better shonen series instead of reading the TYBW.

The epilouge is nice, I guess, but you could just skip to that issue. The manga's ending is SUPER rushed because he planned to drag it out for another 100 issues (most likely) and was told to end it in 5. So it all just feels like a college student who never attended a lecture trying to cram an entire semester of studying into a single night. And it really sucks. Frankly, all this said, I'd say its safe to say the anime was right to end where it did and Kubo should have done the same, ended it there, then did his own "Dragonball GT" like follow-up series...which I guess is what Burn The Witch is.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmfao is it seriously still Aizen up to the Fullbringer arc

drat dude just die alrdy

Covok
May 27, 2013

esperterra posted:

lmfao is it seriously still Aizen during the Fullbringer arc

drat dude just die alrdy

No, Aizen is not in the Fullbringer Arc. He is defeated at the end of the Arrancar Arc. Well, I guess it's really the Arrancar saga (Arrancar Arc to Huceo Mundo Arc to Las Noches Arc to Fake Karakura Town Arc). But, Aizen is defeated and Fullbringer is about a new villain who is introduced and defeated conclusively in that arc.

Aizen does appear in the TYBW, but not as a villain.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh I guess Burn the Witch is a oneshot and came out yesterday lmao. english version tomorrow.

Covok
May 27, 2013

esperterra posted:

oh I guess Burn the Witch is a oneshot and came out yesterday lmao. english version tomorrow.

It's also not super great. I mean, you might like it, but I was neutral on it. I did like the surprise reveal that it was tied to Bleach. They actually do kind of surprise you with it. I get the vibe he's doing it like "hey, here is a one shot and if it does good we're launching a series and if not then lol guess I'm unemployed."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Honestly I just miss looking at his art. I'll probably check it out for that alone.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

It's also not super great. I mean, you might like it, but I was neutral on it. I did like the surprise reveal that it was tied to Bleach. They actually do kind of surprise you with it. I get the vibe he's doing it like "hey, here is a one shot and if it does good we're launching a series and if not then lol guess I'm unemployed."

you dont want female byakuya and hiyori taking care of lecherous ichigo?

Kild fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 15, 2018

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Covok posted:

Well, I guess it's really the Arrancar saga (Arrancar Arc to Huceo Mundo Arc to Las Noches Arc to Fake Karakura Town Arc)

I checked out at Hueco Mundo, sheesh. That was already storming Aizen's stronghold, how did they extend that for two more arcs?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So those kamehamehas huh

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

I checked out at Hueco Mundo, sheesh. That was already storming Aizen's stronghold, how did they extend that for two more arcs?

Ichigo gets trapped in the Palace and fights Ulquiorra while Aizen storms Karakura town to turn it into a soul key.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kild posted:

you dont want female byakuya and hiyoru taking care of lecherous ichigo?

I get the female Byakuya reference, but I forgot Hiyori was a character. Like, I had to google her to remember.

Anyhoo, I almost cringed at the "I want to see your panties" joke. Which was juvenile and sad enough as it was the first time...and then it just kept happening. It's like "haha, he's trying to sexually assault a woman, isn't that funny" and I'm just like "no, not really." The fact that the dragons are supposed to be some kind of hollow and they kind of low-key build up to that was cool, especially since the cast doesn't know that and are in the dark. It's obvious the "sabre squad" that not-hiyori wants to join at the guys who actually know about hollow poo poo and get Zanputkos...which I guess are better than the lovely guns that Piper squad is given to use.

It would have been a lot better if Not-Ichigo did convince the dragon who had been posing as his friend for 10 years to turn good from the power of friendship because that would have been an interesting plot point. Though, I do agree not-Byakuya stone cold killing it and not-Ichigo going "wow, I really thought you weren't going to do that" was a little funny. But then they spare the other corpse possessing dragon who was his dog so like, why did she do that?

a cartoon duck posted:

Basically, Aizen leaves and traps everyone in his fortress. He goes to a Fake Karakura town that Soul Society setup as a trap. All of Soul Society fights the remaining Arrancar in one-on-one duels and kill them all, for the most part. Some live like Tier Harribel. Then Aizen reveals he merged with the Hongokyu and slowly morphs into a butterfly monster and defeats everyone. Then he goes to the real Karakura Town. Ichigo escapes and trains in the room of spirit and time in that world between worlds they travel through with his dad and master the final Getsuga Tenshō, which is that Deus Ex Machina I mentioned earlier. Apparently, this only takes an hour or so for the outside world, but Ichigo experiences like a couple weeks of training. Then Ichigo fights and mops the floor with Aizen. Aizen gets sealed away by Kisuke. Ichigo loses his powers.

Arc ends.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 15, 2018

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
It's been years and my memory might be hazy or actually wrong, but I feel like I read an interview with Kubo where he said that when he didn't know what to do with his story, he created more characters.

Which sort of perfectly encapsulates what's wrong with Bleach and makes all the moments where he really needed to call his editor super obvious.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Man now I'm starting to think I might have actually dropped off somewhere in the Arrancar arc??

I definitely remember Ichi fighting in a weird like world between worlds, also there were two of him for some reason ??

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

esperterra posted:

This is honestly just making me want to revist Bleach even more, that sounds loving stupid but in a way I would appreciate

it's not, trust me

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

esperterra posted:

Man now I'm starting to think I might have actually dropped off somewhere in the Arrancar arc??

I definitely remember Ichi fighting in a weird like world between worlds, also there were two of him for some reason ??

that's him fighting his innerself - his hollow

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Who cares about bleach its Broly Time

https://twitter.com/DBReduxTDC/status/1018647539854315521?s=19

https://twitter.com/DBReduxTDC/status/1018650082114187264?s=19

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 16, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Did Steve Ditko color the redesign? The green and purple really is getting me.

But I actually do like this a lot and it's a lot more striking and memorable.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The green and purple reminds me of Cooler's minions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wow, those actually look good. I was a bit confused at first because his hair is like goku's, that he looked like an evil goku with a scar.

Seeing his LSSJ form however, I'm like ah there's the broly I recognize. Digging the colors they gave him.