Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AHAHAHAHAH oh no my feelings got hurt abloo abloo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SynthOrange posted:

AHAHAHAHAH oh no my feelings got hurt abloo abloo

:sadfan:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I don't matter :smith:

e: That comes across as so horribly self-centered in response to that particular question

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
This is so stupid.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
UgggggggghI kiiiiiinda see what they're going for here, it's just hamhanded as gently caress. Allison is Mega Girl, most powerful person in the world, the Superman of her time, the only person who everyone should be afraid of, and she's been basically a nonentity in this whole situation, and it's messing with her. Furnace still died there, Moonshadow got away with everything, and Allison's only contribution was to get a shoulder owie. She's having trouble reconciling her status, her intentions, her stated goal and reality. The world used to be much easier, punching bad guys. Now she doesn't have any tools to deal with any of this and keeps not accomplishing things she wanted to do.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wait, wait, hold up, there are large hydroelectric dams in Ohio?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

howe_sam posted:

lol no

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
There are national parks in Ohio? I thought it was all farming and run-down cities

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Come on, you nerds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Shaughnessy_Dam_%28Ohio%29
http://www.cityofbryan.net/auglaizehydroplant.asp

The one in the comic looks like the O'Shaughnessy Dam in CA, not the one in Ohio, but I'd guess that's just a coincidence (since you'll see a bunch that look just like that if you google for things like "hydroelectric dam"). On top of that, the Ohio River has a bunch of larger dams on it; I don't think any of the really big ones are in Ohio state in reality, but it wouldn't be totally unreasonable for one to be there in the SFP universe.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Is there one that only has a national park

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

No but there are places in Ohio that would probably be best wiped out by flooding, so let's call it even.

Also while I am not excited about this strip, Alison having a cry is better than another philosophy dump from yet another person.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ashcans posted:

Also while I am not excited about this strip, Alison having a cry is better than another philosophy dump from yet another person.

And what do you think Miss "John Henry Did Nothing Wrong" is gonna do after she watches Allison cry?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Toshimo posted:

And what do you think Miss "John Henry Did Nothing Wrong" is gonna do after she watches Allison cry?

Hopefully build a robot to kill Mary.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

idonotlikepeas posted:

Come on, you nerds.

The one in the comic looks like the O'Shaughnessy Dam in CA, not the one in Ohio, but I'd guess that's just a coincidence (since you'll see a bunch that look just like that if you google for things like "hydroelectric dam"). On top of that, the Ohio River has a bunch of larger dams on it; I don't think any of the really big ones are in Ohio state in reality, but it wouldn't be totally unreasonable for one to be there in the SFP universe.

Oh sure, it's fine if they want to add another hydroelectric dam to the state. I just found it funny because there are states with better topography for the dam described in the story.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

howe_sam posted:

It's not the dam being in Ohio that bothers me. It's the fact that Allison flew to Ohio from New York and STILL arrived in time to even be a part of Furnace's death. I had an easier time swallowing that contrivance when I thought she just spend 30 minutes flying to up-state New York or something. Where does Furnace live again? I thought he was a New York resident just like Allison or maybe he just works out of there and flies home on weekends?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Brought To You By posted:

It's not the dam being in Ohio that bothers me. It's the fact that Allison flew to Ohio from New York and STILL arrived in time to even be a part of Furnace's death. I had an easier time swallowing that contrivance when I thought she just spend 30 minutes flying to up-state New York or something. Where does Furnace live again? I thought he was a New York resident just like Allison or maybe he just works out of there and flies home on weekends?

Furnace was in his hometown visiting his mother's grave when he was abducted. Alison had to google Tyson Dam because it apparently wasn't anywhere near NYC. Furnace is regularly seen in NYC and was noted as missing when he didn't make it to an appearance in Phoenix, AZ. The coordinates tacked to the wall next to the pictures of the dam are in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma, which shares neither Latitude nor Longitude with anywhere in Ohio.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I was on board until the last panel. She gets mad that everyone treats her differently because she's got powers, and then gets sad because she "doesn't matter." :fuckoff:

I really hope her whole existential crisis was Patrick playing her like a loving fiddle.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

rotinaj posted:

UgggggggghI kiiiiiinda see what they're going for here, it's just hamhanded as gently caress. Allison is Mega Girl, most powerful person in the world, the Superman of her time, the only person who everyone should be afraid of, and she's been basically a nonentity in this whole situation, and it's messing with her. Furnace still died there, Moonshadow got away with everything, and Allison's only contribution was to get a shoulder owie. She's having trouble reconciling her status, her intentions, her stated goal and reality. The world used to be much easier, punching bad guys. Now she doesn't have any tools to deal with any of this and keeps not accomplishing things she wanted to do.

Of course I get this, but the delivery comes across as so "me me me" it's just wretched. Would have been nicer if she'd said something more like, "... and I couldn't do anything about any of it! a bloo boo boo."

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
My problem is the diction leading up to the last panel. When you have a cry you sort of get stripped down to your basest emotions even if you rationally know they don't make any sense (and you probably don't even feel them most of the time), so the last panel seems kind of on point for a stress-induced pity-party. It's how rationally and matter-of-factly she lists the stuff beforehand that clashes with it so it kind of comes out of nowhere. Short, terse sentence fragments would have worked better, as it is it sounds more like she's annoyed than breaking down.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

Of course I get this, but the delivery comes across as so "me me me" it's just wretched. Would have been nicer if she'd said something more like, "... and I couldn't do anything about any of it! a bloo boo boo."

No I like this. Alison's been the most important person she know for quite some time now. Like she was doing good and useful work as a superhero, and quit that because she thought that she could literally save the world if she had better plans. Now she's coming up against a problem (in Mary) that she failed to fix and doesn't even know if she wants too. I'm reading it as more of an existential complaint rather than "me me me" stuff.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Right, I get that's the ~authorial intent~ but the delivery sucks my privileged ballsack.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

"I have personally caused a great deal of collateral damage and civilian deaths while accomplishing nothing at all."

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I kinda like the whole "I have all the power in the world, yet I can't change a thing" he's going for here, but it's being handled pretty awkwardly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Allison: Why did I go after Moonshadow? Was she really the worst thing happening in the world at that moment? It was just a little torture and murder that I was the only person actually aware who was responsible for it :shrug:

Robot Leg Lady: Girl, you need cupcake therapy.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
:words:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Needs an editor

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Going after Mary was absolutely the correct decision. One does not ignore people doing bad things if they have the power to stop them just because there is some unspecified Bigger Evil out there somewhere. Just because you can't identify a big problem to punch shouldn't stop you from punching several smaller problems.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Plus she mostly went after Mary because Mary killed a dude basically right in front of her.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm guessing she was thinking more along the lines of "should I be going after individual serial killers and the like when I have the power to tear down governments responsible for more deaths by several orders of magnitude all by myself?". She's not doubting that stopping Moonshadow was a good thing, just considering what else she could have accomplished that would immediately cut down even more on the suffering and injustice in the world, even if there's a chance of hurting or upsetting innocent people by it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh Jesus they're unironically pulling the Fist of the North Star "but he was noble all along!" shtick with Mary

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Slashrat posted:

I'm guessing she was thinking more along the lines of "should I be going after individual serial killers and the like when I have the power to tear down governments responsible for more deaths by several orders of magnitude all by myself?". She's not doubting that stopping Moonshadow was a good thing, just considering what else she could have accomplished that would immediately cut down even more on the suffering and injustice in the world, even if there's a chance of hurting or upsetting innocent people by it.

Except that can never work. You can smash North Korea's government for being a dictatorship. Then you go on to smash Saudi Arabia's for oppressing women. Then Italy's for not allowing gay people to marry. Then the USA's for not imposing the death penalty on rapists. Once you start down that slope, when do you stop? It's remarkably slippery.

Obviously the correct answer is for Alison to take over the world and rule it with an iron grip, while coming down like the fist of an angry God on whoever breaks the law or challenges her rule.

(I would totally read the SFP version of Injustice.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This is the worst introduction to intersectionality theory that I've ever read.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Atmus posted:

Plus she mostly went after Mary because Mary killed a dude basically right in front of her.

Yeah but he was just a rapist scumbag

ManlyGrunting posted:

Oh Jesus they're unironically pulling the Fist of the North Star "but he was noble all along!" shtick with Mary

Are you honestly surprised?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Are they trying to justify Mary? It looks to me like Allison is just stressing over how Mary was trying to make a difference while she was not.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's a bit disjointed but her two first points are "I think what Mary's torture and murder schtick is wrong" and "I think it was wrong of me to do anything about it". Iunno man.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Allison basically seems to be upset because she's working hard to make good decisions and use her power with great responsibility, but she's still having notably less effectiveness than random crazy people lashing out in anger.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ManlyGrunting posted:

Please do not compare Fist of the North Star to this

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AnonSpore posted:

Please do not compare Fist of the North Star to this

You know, all this talk of Alison solving her problems with One Perfect Punch reminds me of another animu...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This reminds me a little of how Bernhard Goetz was considered some kind of hero by the public before the press reported all the crazy things he said.

Of course, Goetz wasn't a brutally efficient psychopath like Moonshadow, because he wasn't thorough enough to kill any of the people he shot, and he tried to skip town after one incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Toshimo posted:

You know, all this talk of Alison solving her problems with One Perfect Punch reminds me of another animu...

Yeah I didn't miss that either and it rather annoyed me.

• Locked thread