Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
trading's weird. the only way i've gotten it to be useful is to dispatch single crystals to get a fairly steady supply of every other kind of crystal. you need a lot of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Best results I've gotten has been from upgrading all the starter tier gear you can find one time (the upgrade that only takes 5 spirit stones) and then trading those. You can usually sell one for 20 spirit stones, 2 ironstone, or 5 of a basic resource, and if you don't get anything you want it's pretty common to get an offer for a different +1 weapon which you can buy and put up for sale for effectively free trading exp.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I honestly stopped bothering that much. I do it once in-between worlds and that's it.

NG+ carry over still has me a little perplexed. The game seemed to indicate the BR will scale very quickly with item carry over but it still seems very easy to me if you do that.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Carrying over battlerank is a mistake. I've done it twice now and the rewards from fights are still bad, new moves don't seem to spark any more often, and enemies have wildly outscaled me. Also they all gain comical amounts of status resist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you carry over battle rank to a character you haven't played before you might have to abandon that playthrough.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Not all brutal fights are created equal. The Brutal Water spirit absolutely punished me and showstoppers aren't very useful when the attacks land on ore that isn't able to be damaged by anything other than spells

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone on Steam Deck or just PC been having performance problems? I’ve been seeing lag that definitely wasn’t there before with my game and had a battle just hang up indefinitely when the characters do their post attack selection “run into formation” thing where they just never stopped running.

Oh and the music sounded like a creepypasta when i turned it from Sleep Mode, but pretty much everything I’ve played had slight audio issues when booting up in the middle of a cutscene, so that’s less worrying.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Last Celebration posted:

Anyone on Steam Deck or just PC been having performance problems? I’ve been seeing lag that definitely wasn’t there before with my game and had a battle just hang up indefinitely when the characters do their post attack selection “run into formation” thing where they just never stopped running.

Oh and the music sounded like a creepypasta when i turned it from Sleep Mode, but pretty much everything I’ve played had slight audio issues when booting up in the middle of a cutscene, so that’s less worrying.

My game started running at half speed at one point but I just chalked it up to a memory leak since I'd been playing a while

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The last boss destroyed me as Diva.

But the music was fantastic.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yup same. I had to swap Diva to full tank with guardian program but that eventually got me through it. At least the music makes it worth going through the fight multiple times.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

the music is so good! Someone finally uploaded the fight on youtube too, so I can go relisten to it now.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Oh, good! That song got drilled into my head from all the reattempts.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm like halfway through B&F and I've yet to see a single brutal level fight. No wonder so many people think this is the easy route.

This is a very cohesive route though, it would be my pick so far for people's first route.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Yeah, I have 3 three doors left to explore (assuming I go to them all) and I haven't bothered to change my formation once as the cop duo.

I'm gonna get crushed in the other playthroughs lol.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Beat Mido's route and the boss fight was a breeze. Does BR not scale for set fights like that? I was getting my rear end absolutely whipped in Combat Door Brutals but this was pretty easy

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Several of the side world bosses for Diva have just been Hard, with the book being the only Brutal.

But boy oh boy, Lord of Earth sure is something. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get enough DPS for that fight. It's a bummer morning really gives you major BP decrease for your heavy hitting attacks, and apparently no interrupts work against him which was my next Idea using the Last Stand formation or whatever that makes conditional attacks cheaper. Just no idea how to burn that much HP in 8 turns.

What I'm really worried about is that I'll have to figure it out in order to recruit the mole which, obviously, is critical.

Anyone come across anything that works for this guy?

Oh and on Mido's world, Spirit of Benkei was beatable and farmable but I never figured out how it decided what attacks it became immune to during the fight. Fortunately having both robots just do quad missile repeatedly was enough.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I just started Diva and I didn't realize that I was going to be going to entirely different worlds than my Mido play through. Thank you SaGa!!!

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Mike_V posted:

Beat Mido's route and the boss fight was a breeze. Does BR not scale for set fights like that? I was getting my rear end absolutely whipped in Combat Door Brutals but this was pretty easy

I think Mido’s route is generally intended to be the tutorial route with a pushover final fight. I haven’t done a second run with him, but I would imagine he gets the more typical final boss fight after

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WebDO posted:

Several of the side world bosses for Diva have just been Hard, with the book being the only Brutal.

But boy oh boy, Lord of Earth sure is something. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get enough DPS for that fight. It's a bummer morning really gives you major BP decrease for your heavy hitting attacks, and apparently no interrupts work against him which was my next Idea using the Last Stand formation or whatever that makes conditional attacks cheaper. Just no idea how to burn that much HP in 8 turns.

I swapped to the Phoenix formation and ignored the adds while focusing only on the boss. I didn't even know there was a failure condition on the 8th turn. Maybe that's one of the things that changes between runs? The only condition I had to do was get the boss to 50% hp to consider the fight won.

e:vvvv right, that's the last time you fight it. And like you, I didn't have a time limit on that one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 6, 2024

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's another version where you have to completely kill it (after several 50% fights) but yeah I didn't have a time limit either last time I was there.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Rascyc posted:

There's another version where you have to completely kill it (after several 50% fights) but yeah I didn't have a time limit either last time I was there.

Apparently it's a variable condition, but it has made it a DPS race for sure. I'll have to see if I can grind some flights and reconfigure some things because my current line up just can't do it because my big hits are either interrupts I can't trigger, or a werewolf with tons of high power skills that cost 6-7 BP

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

What do the Chain attacks like Covering Fire do?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

babypolis posted:

When someone acts, the Chain attack inserts itself immediately after. So basically it lets your gunner jump anywhere in the combo bar, also potentially linking in a combo that was separated by one pip

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Chain attacks will specifically follow up another attack. So covering fire will make the person using it jump to right after the first person who attacks. The combo box is clear, so in order for it to actually combo together, there needs to be an empty green line (one specifically trailing the original tech user) for the chain attack to use.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

babypolis posted:

They will trigger directly after the first ally action in a turn, moving the unit to the space directly after the main unit and starting a unite attack assuming all the conditions are accurate. (If it's a chain attack that has a 'no space' combo length then the move it is chaining with needs to have a unite length that is at least one bar to the right for it to start the unite attack.)

If you use two chain attacks they have to trigger off different attacks, so it would go regular attack -> Chain 1 -> Regular attack 2 -> Chain 2.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I know it’s a SaGa game and it shouldn’t surprise me, but the Crowrealm world music goes real hard

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, this fight in the “world under siege by the demon king” zone that says it’s Hard feels more Brutal. There’s a dragon that just does so much damage if I’m not parrying/countering their moves, and two metal face helper things that chip away at me or do huge chunks of damage with a spell and otherwise don’t die quickly as I’d like.

Also I don’t quite think I’m feeling a mech as a protagonist. Diva’s cool and all, but purely for gameplay having slots you gradually unlock, with power tied to armaments/accessories that are hard to upgrade is kinda static feeling compared to my other humanoids glimmering moves, my monster being able to steal them, an ephemeral that glimmers stuff and gets her own weird moves too. Maybe I should mess around with frames, but there’s no option to just have the retro pot that emotes for cutscenes and a weird spider tank for battles. Oh, and a scarecrow with an SMG but he feels oddly weak considering, you know.

And speaking of ephemerals, do they ever evolve without dying?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Last Celebration posted:

No, if you want to force it, put them solo in a party and do a fight and immediately reattempt. It means having to win afterwards with a party without them in it, but that's one way to force it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, I’m okay with it happening “naturally” when I inevitably eat poo poo, I’ve just been hesitant on accepting my ephemeral’s deaths and not reloading because I wasn’t sure if doing X amount of battles at 1 LP meant a better reincarnation.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Also I don’t quite think I’m feeling a mech as a protagonist. Diva’s cool and all, but purely for gameplay having slots you gradually unlock, with power tied to armaments/accessories that are hard to upgrade is kinda static feeling compared to my other humanoids glimmering moves, my monster being able to steal them, an ephemeral that glimmers stuff and gets her own weird moves too. Maybe I should mess around with frames, but there’s no option to just have the retro pot that emotes for cutscenes and a weird spider tank for battles. Oh, and a scarecrow with an SMG but he feels oddly weak considering, you know.

Diva (and mechs in general) are cool cause you can change their gear up on the fly so they can give you whatever you need for a particular fight. Diva for instance is a very good tank cause you can just slap on 4-5 pieces of armor plus some accessories to raise threat like blade attractor. Mechs are also immune to most status effects as an added bonus and its not too hard to get her some resist for mech specific status ailments either. So that can be a godsend for any truly difficult fight.

Though since she really only needs the progression from her story to unlock the equip slots, you can omit her from the party if you want. Use a tutor to buff her mech skills and you'll be good to go. You will miss out on maybe a few roles + role slots but its not the biggest deal. She automatically gets Diva which is a pretty good role for tanking anyways.

edit: I don't think it matters how many battles you do for ephermals. It's just a matter of how many generations it's been but it seems mostly random what skills/stats she gets. Other than it seems like Blath gets all of one type of skill before she gets another type. For instance she didn't learn any buffs until she learned all her status effect moves first.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 9, 2024

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dackel posted:

No, if you want to force it, put them solo in a party and do a fight and immediately reattempt. It means having to win afterwards with a party without them in it, but that's one way to force it.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how the game would handle it, but if you do have your Ephemeral run out of LP, do the reattempt, and slot someone else in their slot they still go ahead and evolve after you win.

I probably should have Diva go more tanky in my route, she's just kinda unfocused at the moment.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Last Celebration posted:

Man, this fight in the “world under siege by the demon king” zone that says it’s Hard feels more Brutal. There’s a dragon that just does so much damage if I’m not parrying/countering their moves, and two metal face helper things that chip away at me or do huge chunks of damage with a spell and otherwise don’t die quickly as I’d like.

Yeah that's one of the hardest fights in the game IMO. Surprised it's only the Hard level though, I think it's usually Brutal when I fight it -- and also optional too, you can lose and move on from what I remembered.

As for actual help: if you haven't figured out active blocking, that really helps for that fight for doing damage while weathering AoEs. Otherwise if you can't active block, consider just passing turns/using deflect when it's going to AoE to mitigate as much damage as possible. Phoenix formation is then really good for drawing the single target attacks and doing your damage then while the third position just tanks the single target hit.

But yeah, the faces are really annoying. If you haven't figured it out already - when you target monsters, the right hand damage pane turns red if you're hitting their weakness. I can't remember what elements the faces hate though. You likely don't have much magic unless you raised the Scarecrow, so you might have to fish through your move lists to see what elemental attacks you
have available to you. Maybe blunt works too, it's been a few days since I've seen a dragon. Off the top of my head, water shot was a big lifter for me on my Dva route.

Robots are cooler when you get more advanced items and start finding new moves. I thought Dva was boring AF too until I lucked into special gear to give her more unique attacks.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I kind of love/hate ephemerals. I hated them when I was learning the game - I fell into the same trap as everyone else who picked Dva first route. You end up fighting a multi phase boss and you can't bring an Elder back on a reattempt so you either need a backup or a reload - sucks!

But that elder title giving -1 BP is really, really good so once you get good enough at the game to keep them alive in 99% of situations, you're sitting great. The debuffs are love/hate - you either make a nice strat around them or you just curse when they start using them during combos and crap against things that are highly immune or too much HP to suffer consequences.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Counters are very good for the masks and a lot of other enemies that are tricky to damage like that. Capriciousness can be learned by monsters from those weird faerie? enemies (the ones that look like they are wearing a paper bag) and it's a strong blunt counter that comes in handy all game.

Mechs can learn Pop Knight from certain items too which is a counter for sword moves. I want to say I found the weapon that gives it in Mido's world but I don't remember 100%. It's one of the few AoE counters I've found in game and it really shreds those terracotta warrior guys.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://steamcommunity.com/games/2085000/announcements/detail/4201372769978419176

quote:

SaGa Emerald Beyond Update Content
  • Spell targets will now be displayed while a spell is chanting as long as the original target is still alive.
  • Animations during some main menu operations have been shortened and response speed increased.
  • The Tips screen now clarifies that scanning requires the player to press and hold the button.
  • Fixed the issue wherein monster abilities could not be absorbed from the Cordycep fiend Lord of the Earth.
  • Fixed the issue wherein a technique with the Delay effect causing a United Attack to be broken would not properly take into account the number of units participating in the United Attack when recalculating the combo rate.
  • Fixed the issue wherein poison damage did not occur at the proper timing during an Overdrive.
  • Fixed an issue related to additional United Attacks when an Overdrive occurs.
  • Fixed an issue wherein monster abilities would not be absorbed when a Glimmer occurs during an Overkill.
  • Fixed an issue wherein an Overdrive occurring during an Unleash ability would cause the Unleashing creature to not participate in the Overdrive.
  • Removed abilities that cannot be absorbed from the Monster tech list.
  • Adjusted a misleading description in the Mr. S Trial It's Showtime.
  • Fixed the issue with the Mr. S Trial Unleash and Absorb wherein the trial would not be considered completed if an Unleash and Absorb occurred during a single Showstopper.
  • Increased the amount of combo rate increase provided by Chain attacks.
  • Adjusted the types of techs chosen for Overdrives.
  • Fixed an issue with conditional techs glimmered from Chain attacks.
  • Resolved the issue wherein a Showstopper could erroneously lead into a United Attack.
  • Fixed an issue wherein a character equipped with two different weapon types performing a Showstopper would have role effects specific to one type of weapon erroneously apply to techs performed by the other type of weapon.
    (Ex. Dreadblayde Nobunaga applying instant death-level damage to non-two handed sword techs.)
  • Fixed an issue wherein The Final Trial during Tsunanori Mido's journey would erroneously occur immediately before the final boss.
  • Fixed various minor graphical issues.
  • Fixed various minor text issues.
  • Adjusted various UI display elements.
  • Added further support for keyboard and mouse controls.
    - Shift + Mouse and the number pad may now be used to control the camera in areas where camera control is enabled.
  • Fixed other minor issues.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wait, showstoppers can unleash techs? :shepface:

I'm curious if them tweaking what techs get Overdrived is a reduction of delay techs that could break the combos, or what they did there.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Tortolia posted:

Wait, showstoppers can unleash techs? :shepface:

I think only if the unleash is the move you manually chose to start the showstopper, I've never had monsters unleash a move on their own.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Snake Maze posted:

I think only if the unleash is the move you manually chose to start the showstopper, I've never had monsters unleash a move on their own.

That makes sense, I was just concerned about my werewolf getting Ideas.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've been struck with a considerable urge to play Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song again so I'm gonna do that

I've only played the original PS2 version, not the remaster, so I'm looking for some advice on how best to use the new NG+ features. In the SaGa Frontier remaster, what I did was essentially do an NG+ chain where I would continually import my save from playthrough to playthrough, but would intentionally use different characters every time and limit my access to carried-over equipment until endgame, so I wouldn't just overpower everything. Would that be feasible and/or advisable to do in the RSMS remaster? It's been so long that I don't remember too much about how many characters there are or things like that.

I'm also happy to just not use NG+ at all if there's not really a way to keep it from trivializing stuff. I mostly used it in the SF remaster because I wanted to carry over everything into one super-stacked Fuse postgame save, which I don't think is a consideration for Minstrel Song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
For Minstrel Song I think it's best to stick with how it worked on PS2 and just carry over quest number/shop level/classes (and maybe maps). The increase to jewels you get from quests completed is a nice way to speed up the power curve a bit while still giving you the SaGa experience of building your team and sparking random skills and making gold and items valuable.

Starting with endgame gear or full tech lists makes the journey a lot less interesting, imo - there are tons and tons of quests rewards that are exciting when money and items are in limited supply but become pointless when everyone already has the best stuff in every slot. I guess you can carry over items/stats/etc and just intentionally use different characters and weaker items, but that seems like more work to get the same effect since there's no Fuse equivalent here.