Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bespoke's biggest issue is it's a single developer project and development is sloooowww.

Biggest usability problem with it is no sidechains or multichannel plugins.

Other than that it's pretty badass, feels like a desktop AUM. Load a bunch of modules and gently caress around with routing to see what weird sounds you get.

It's also a very good midi router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I got Bitwig @ 50% off (until 5/20!) because I'd demo'd it before and grids is pretty great. I am going to try to get it all going with ES9 and it's CV utility; the workflows make a bit more sense to my squirrel brain than m4l but so far I can't get audio routed back to ES9 correctly :sigh:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Logic 11 dropped and FINALLY we can bounce external synths in place in real time. It seemed so odd to me that they added bounce in place features while leaving external synths needing to record via a bus or other clunky workaround. I haven’t tried it yet since the other extra stuff is still downloading, but this will help workflow a lot considering the majority of my tracks are external synth now.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I saw the Logic 11 update and it was like, “AI Stuff! Session Bassist and Session Piano to go along with Session Drummer!”

Do they not want us making music ourselves anymore?! :corsair: :argh:

I’m holding off on updating. But I’m kind of interested in seeing if I can abuse Stem Extractor for anything interesting.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

yesss

they used to sell a bitwig branded es9. that workflow is very well supported and i bet it will be really awesome with your setup

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
does anyone have experience with ordering the plinky synth through pcbway or jlcpcb? i keep itching to pull the trigger but a minimum order of 5 has me humming and hawing over such an order

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://youtu.be/liQhw3CtNZc?si=kKkgNv5eelzZS3nb

I’m digging bitwig and cv. You can do all this with max but the UIs here are nicer and generally a lot more responsive, granted, max can do a lot of stuff grids can’t. But just for sending cv out to modular this seems great and I’m starting to think about workflows.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Congratulations on adopting the best DAW!

thpook
Jul 30, 2003

squawk

Freshwater Louie posted:

does anyone have experience with ordering the plinky synth through pcbway or jlcpcb? i keep itching to pull the trigger but a minimum order of 5 has me humming and hawing over such an order

There's a plinky discord, sometimes people go in on buying all the boards.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The silhouette at superbooth looks custom made for this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjHxtmfpfk4

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Boody posted:

Got one of these yesterday. Had forgot about them and they've been hard to find locally.

My Duos has some kind of grounding problem, does yours have that too?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I bought a used MX49 locally on a whim and I'm learning that you can't actually adjust most of the voice settings on the device. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-mx49

quote:

What you won't find, however, is a menu for the oscillators, which meant that my first few days with the MX were spent in an agony of uncertainty. Despite reading the manuals from cover to cover, I couldn't find any waveform parameters!

I turned to the web and found two MX software editors, the Vycro MXPerformance Editor (a free download from https://www.vycromx.com) and John Melas's MX Tools (€49 from https://www.jmelas.gr). I downloaded these, and there in front of me were the waveform parameters for which I'd been searching. The MX is indeed capable of powerful synthesis, but only when hooked up to a computer. I asked Yamaha why the designers had made this decision. I was told, "The MX was designed for ease of operation, and we decided that synthesis editing would be best handled by a separate editor. Traditionally Yamaha has produced the editor and provided it as a free download, but the development cost would have had to have been built into the product somewhere. It was important to keep it affordable, so the decision was made that third parties would develop the editor and supply it to the customer as they saw fit.” That's all very well, but I still can't see why they left the waveform parameters out of the on-board menus.

The vycromx domain has been down since like 2019.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

brand engager posted:

The vycromx domain has been down since like 2019.
There's a Google drive link that still seems to be active here in the filenotfound post.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Emj6v6FAY

I saw Jack from Setonix demo this a month ago and I have been waiting for the public release to post this and be excited about it.

This is a really neat stereo matrix mixer packed to the gills with (digital) VCAs, and I can't wait to add a Shaka8 + Shaka4 to sit in/near my MakeNoise stereo poo poo. Super cool thing, anything from a straight mixer to a powerful set of aux busses to whatever you can imagine. If only it went up to video frequencies :laugh: (this would make the highly reasonable current price unreasonable!!)

Also there's no price actually listed AFAIK but if he sells these for what I think he said he was going to, it's "less than you think", and just giving an email to the waitlist gets you a discount at order time.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cabbages and VHS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Emj6v6FAY

I saw Jack from Setonix demo this a month ago and I have been waiting for the public release to post this and be excited about it.

This is a really neat stereo matrix mixer packed to the gills with (digital) VCAs, and I can't wait to add a Shaka8 + Shaka4 to sit in/near my MakeNoise stereo poo poo. Super cool thing, anything from a straight mixer to a powerful set of aux busses to whatever you can imagine. If only it went up to video frequencies :laugh: (this would make the highly reasonable current price unreasonable!!)

Also there's no price actually listed AFAIK but if he sells these for what I think he said he was going to, it's "less than you think", and just giving an email to the waitlist gets you a discount at order time.

Damnit, why does it have to be voltage controlled?
I already have a matrix mixer at home, and everything else I have is mono. I don't need it. Even if it does have voltage control.
Go away Gasman. I don't want anything (I want that mixer)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Got a Bela Gliss and while neat, has too many modes and features for a module without any screen. Will keep it in the case but probably only ever keep it on the looping mode.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Damnit, why does it have to be voltage controlled?
I already have a matrix mixer at home, and everything else I have is mono. I don't need it. Even if it does have voltage control.
Go away Gasman. I don't want anything (I want that mixer)

Heh, looking around, not much in mono land competes with this pricewise. 4MS VCA Matrix is like $375. I think I was quoted around 200 for the Shaka, but, waiting to see pricing on website.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Black ISE-NIN eurorack with expander is $1249 bundle https://black-corporation.com/shop/product/isenin-voice/

Given that ISE-NIN is a $5000 unit and Black Corp is Black Corp, I was legitimately expecting this to be like $2500+ and not be a thing I'd even think of. At half that cost, though..... :thunk:

"gee I wish I'd bought less LZX this spring, I only have $400, oops".

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

their euro stuff is just a single voice (idk if this is a dealbreaker for you, it was for me)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cabbages and VHS posted:

Heh, looking around, not much in mono land competes with this pricewise. 4MS VCA Matrix is like $375. I think I was quoted around 200 for the Shaka, but, waiting to see pricing on website.
A second hand Doepfer and one of these, also used
https://handmadeelectronicinstruments.com/product/4x4-matrix-mixer/
Should be enough for now.

Like, where would I even put it?

Full of mixers already

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

So Math posted:

My Duos has some kind of grounding problem, does yours have that too?

Not that I've noticed.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

JamesKPolk posted:

their euro stuff is just a single voice (idk if this is a dealbreaker for you, it was for me)

In addition, as an owner and still lover of a Black Corporation Kijimi, their build quality is pretty underwhelming. Thing just randomly goes out of tune a lot, the screen sucks, their Midi programmer VST doesn't work in all hosts and sometimes locks the unit up. The unit locks up randomly sometimes, sometimes a voice just gets stuck on and you need to reboot, sometimes after booting it responds to nothing and you judt have to power cycle it for funsies......

Oh and the whole thing died once and I had to mail it to Japan

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

monophonic wasn't an issue for me but that's the first negative stuff I've heard about Black. I haven't researched them too hard, I just had the general impression they had been around for quite a while and were generally expensive, and assumed that reflected quality!!

I also don't know if I need what clearly amounts to "another semimodular system", and I definitely don't want another keybed synth, so the Arturia J8 VST might end up being the thing, instead of more silly hardware.

W/Solar42 I am already in the process of owning one thing that might potentially need annoying overseas service; keeping that list short seems wise.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

okay I've officially become one of those craven souls that collects 80s and 90s romplers, now I need to figure out how the heck to use them. I know there's probably software patch editors for a lot of these floating around out there, are there any that are sort of all-in-one solutions for some of these boxes? I know MidiQuest exists but I don't know that I'm willing to pay for it, I used it ages ago and remember it being... kind of unstable, though I guess that could have changed.

I have Roland SC-55 mkII, SC-88Pro, D110, and a Yamaha MU90. Anybody know of any good editors for any or all of them?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

a project i started working on is a web app that uses web midi and you can have synth templates and patches for them and knobs and sliders and stuff

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I've been using sounddiver forever, old and ugly and you have to :filez: it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

a project i started working on is a web app that uses web midi and you can have synth templates and patches for them and knobs and sliders and stuff

this could take weird collaborative projects to unprecedented heights. I have thought along these lines. What are you building in and do you have source anywhere public?

e: i'd love to run LZX patches over a stream and then let people change voltages and send gates to poo poo by voting

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cabbages and VHS posted:

this could take weird collaborative projects to unprecedented heights. I have thought along these lines. What are you building in and do you have source anywhere public?

e: i'd love to run LZX patches over a stream and then let people change voltages and send gates to poo poo by voting

Twitch Plays My Robot Fart Box

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Cabbages and VHS posted:

I’ve got two music software things right now, one is a client side react app and one is a rails app. Neither are built to stream midi to other places but that’s a neat idea, you could possibly do something like that with websockets

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Deluge community firmware is now absolutely bananas :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Qd8JCBEJ8

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

withak posted:

The Deluge community firmware is now absolutely bananas :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Qd8JCBEJ8

would you seem that they've added a lot of features? would you go so far as to call it a--

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I could buy a deluge for roughly what I am planning on spending on 2 VCAs and a video scrolling module :raise:

It would be Yet Another Thing, but it seems like a good one :laugh:

edit: argh now this is kind of a hard choice, I had a shot at a $750 deluge a year ago and have regretted it; there's one with a decksaver for 900 on reverb lol

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 24, 2024

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apparently in the nightlies there is an emulator that can play DX7 presets.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Oxi One is supposed to be the new hotness for sequencing if you were considering dumping a bunch of money on a sequencer.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Which one of you guys is this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scxPus3tMTw

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

net work error posted:

The Oxi One is supposed to be the new hotness for sequencing if you were considering dumping a bunch of money on a sequencer.

yea, I'd like to mess with one but also

this is less gates and only 2 more CV outs than a BSP/KSP. Yes I know it does a lot of other things and there's more flexibility to how CV can be assigned but the price has always seemed really high to me for what you get, compared to KSP on one hand, and Deluge on the other.

Deluge's CV limitations make it inadequate to be the brain of a substantial modular system, but as a grab-and-go thing it's also a full sound design and synthesis platform. :shrug:

Over a long enough time period I'll have all these things if my life doesn't implode in the meantime.

you've seen my shtick. I'm not this cool

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

glitch visual and tinnitus warnings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpLYIAm3R9Q

this was super fun. It's almost entirely video feedback; there's a still image of a gradiant being mixed in occaisionally to give some seed data, but mostly it's just feedback with modulation being applied to color data.

The audio is the video, I put it through LPGs to make it less ear splitting but it's siren like in places, super obnoxious, and then fairly cool in a few places.

Most of the manual modulation is just twisting an LFO rate and also changing some color saturation values; any small change cascades weirdly through feedback.

These shapes don't exist, you didn't see them.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Little drumming doot, and a demo of my WIP desk setup. These dealies https://www.amazon.ca/VIVO-Adjustable-Computer-Monitor-STAND-V002C/dp/B00FOTABWY are great for making room on the desktop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLcdf37k4ZY

This Sputnik Modular delay is lots of fun. It doesn't have any normalized paths, but has two output sockets for each of four taps, two time modulation inputs with attenuation, a 3 channel mixer on the input, and two cross faders. I put clouds in the feedback path, taking the 1/2t and 1t taps. I also took a copy of those taps and sent them as L/R channels into a stereo ping pong delay, before heading to the output mixer
Apparently, you can make all the sound with a single mono voice.
https://voca.ro/1fp39VldybBe

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

WMD went out of production but is going back into production, and as part of it, all the stuff that WMD made previously is on deep discount sale on Reverb including a lot of stuff that might be of interest to y'all: https://reverb.com/shop/wmd-official-william-mathewson-devices?sort=price_with_sale%7Casc

The parametric EQ pedal is a stupid good deal also, by the way, I got one of those on the way.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Agreed posted:

WMD went out of production but is going back into production, and as part of it, all the stuff that WMD made previously is on deep discount sale on Reverb including a lot of stuff that might be of interest to y'all: https://reverb.com/shop/wmd-official-william-mathewson-devices?sort=price_with_sale%7Casc

The parametric EQ pedal is a stupid good deal also, by the way, I got one of those on the way.

already seems to be completely sold out lmao