Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are You Joining the Boycott?
Yes
No
Maybe
Yes
View Results

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dustin blading was absolutely the correct call. It took an already great match and elevated it into the best match of the year so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i recognize after the cut is made its beyond the wrestler's control but me and my sweet and sour chicken would have preferred a little less bleeding

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I'm sure they were going for a crimson mask look as an old school throwback but blood pouring out of Dustin's head and the abattoir the ring became were a little much. But as a one time thing it absolutely added to the match.

I can't imagine blading will fly on TNT though.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

imo Dustin should have bled more of his blood

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Critical posted:

I'm sure they were going for a crimson mask look as an old school throwback but blood pouring out of Dustin's head and the abattoir the ring became were a little much. But as a one time thing it absolutely added to the match.

I can't imagine blading will fly on TNT though.

Even if they can do it on TNT it should be used sparingly. If a guy accidentally gets opened up hard way then fine, use it, don't make a big deal about it, but there's no good reason in 2019 to have colour like it's an episode of Hardcore TV in 1995.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I haven’t watched wrestling in like 10 years but I follow it a bit still. I couldn’t help but notice all the hype about this and reading the thread has been a loving trip. Then I learn that it’s a god drat Florida based promotion AND has an event right by here in Daytona Beach next month :aaaaa: This is awesome and I really, really hope they succeed. Does it seem like they’re doing the right things to last?

Benne posted:

Blading is cool as gently caress

:yeah:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Getting colour on someone should obviously be used sparingly. If blood becomes routine it loses the emotional impact.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kilometers Davis posted:

I haven’t watched wrestling in like 10 years but I follow it a bit still. I couldn’t help but notice all the hype about this and reading the thread has been a loving trip. Then I learn that it’s a god drat Florida based promotion AND has an event right by here in Daytona Beach next month :aaaaa: This is awesome and I really, really hope they succeed. Does it seem like they’re doing the right things to last?

It seems like they've ticked as many boxes as you'd want for a wrestling start up: a huge attendance for their first show, good TV & PPV deals in America & internationally, a roster mixed with well known name veterans and incredibly exciting younger talent and international names like Aja Kong. And then they knocked it out of the park with a show that was great action from the 2nd match until the end. Whether the Khan's are willing to eat losses for the first couple of years, and how reasonable the contracts are, time will tell. But it's a promising start, they have to keep up that momentum over the 3 shows they have before TV launches, however they do that. There will be bumps in the road along the way, inevitably, it's a learning experience for everyone involved, how they learn from mistakes is more important than avoiding them entirely.

In short, I think there's plenty reason to be hopeful.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
This is the minorest of all possible complaints but I hope they move the hard camera to face the entrance ramp like NJPW does.

The hard camera set up they used feels like a Pavlovian WWE thing in my mind and its hard to shake. Like, the hard camera facing the ring at that angle from that side just makes me think of WWE.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This is the minorest of all possible complaints but I hope they move the hard camera to face the entrance ramp like NJPW does.

The hard camera set up they used feels like a Pavlovian WWE thing in my mind and its hard to shake. Like, the hard camera facing the ring at that angle from that side just makes me think of WWE.
I don't like entrance ramp hard cams because it makes your show look more empty.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Honestly with the black ropes mixed with the gray mat it made me think of WCW hard cam shots more than anything

When there was a big pop and they zoomed out a bit on the hardcam side it made me feel like Goldbergs music just hit or something it was rad

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Production felt like WWE without the shaking camera. Lots of camera cuts on the action though which caused them to miss things.

I wish they could change it up so it felt different from WWE but I am not sure how.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Astro7x posted:

Production felt like WWE without the shaking camera. Lots of camera cuts on the action though which caused them to miss things.

I wish they could change it up so it felt different from WWE but I am not sure how.

Literally just do exactly what NJPW does but well not even NJPW has figured out how to be NJPW in America yet.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Taintrunner posted:

cm pun kis going to come out to save omega

I mean, if he does want to get back into wrestling AEW certainly seems like the avenue to do it. Plenty of money, creative control, and the best real way to say screw you to the WWE, it all kind of lines up in my mind. Hell everyone will want to see him wrestle, but if for whatever reason he doesn't want to (which given he's done a few MMA fights and taken proper beatings I'd be real surprised) he could just be a manager who maybe has 1-2 fights a year HHH style and it'd still be a pretty big deal.

Omega, Cody, and the Bucks have been big deals at the NJPW/hardcore fan level for awhile, but if they have the mainstream names of Moxley, Jericho, Dustin and Punk? They're already setting themselves up well to provide a real alternative and challenge to WWE, if more of the big name WWE people start showing up at their shows and wrestling for them then it's just more ammo for the war.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i recognize after the cut is made its beyond the wrestler's control but me and my sweet and sour chicken would have preferred a little less bleeding

Nothing should make sweet n sour chicken palatable.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

v good ppv, best matches were cody dustin and the best friends one, incredibly impressed by the execution of story stuff this time and was just generally a really good watch

that said, orange cassidy got like 30 seconds in the ring and didn't say babyyyyyy once and where the gently caress was my jerry lynn run in

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I just loving found out that Kenny's coat was a Kirito cosplay from SAO. Dammit.

He's gonna come in as All Might in a couple PPVs, isn't he?

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 27, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I just loving found out that Kenny's coat was a Kirito cosplay from SAO. Dammit.

we stan a weeb

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
His finishers called One Winged Angel anything after that is just well duh

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Kenny being a weeb is great but I am saddened to learn that his taste is so bad.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

VJeff posted:

Kenny being a weeb is great but I am saddened to learn that his taste is so bad.

Hey, the dude thought out spots for Omega/Okada I listening to the Yuri!!! on Ice theme, his taste is... varied.

Also he's a video game dork with delusions of grandeur so SAO is kinda up his alley.

Kinda funny that in the land of anime he would dress up as American video game and movie characters (T-800, Destiny reference, Undertale reference) and in the US he's dressing up like anime characters.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

using google trends as a metric along with comparing post count to previous UFC ppvs that had a recorded buyrate, along with wild unfounded guessing, I think this show probably did in the neighborhood of 85,000-100,000 buys.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

He's gonna come in as All Might in a couple PPVs, isn't he?
He should just come out as Jojo's characters :colbert:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

achillesforever6 posted:

A Jotaro outfit should be really easy, and him saying he needs to get closer to kick [opponent]'s rear end. The question is who will he get to be his Star Platinum?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

STONE COLD 64 posted:

using google trends as a metric along with comparing post count to previous UFC ppvs that had a recorded buyrate, along with wild unfounded guessing, I think this show probably did in the neighborhood of 85,000-100,000 buys.

This is not possible as this would make them already as good as the worst UFC's. The hype is real but its growth, if they hit those numbers theyre an unmitigated success that the likes of we havent seen so not what happened.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, Dave said the Google numbers were like 4x what All In did, which is on par with a WWE or UFC B-level show...

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

A Jotaro outfit should be really easy, and him saying he needs to get closer to kick [opponent]'s rear end. The question is who will he get to be his Star Platinum?

Ibushi, duh

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Lid posted:

This is not possible as this would make them already as good as the worst UFC's. The hype is real but its growth, if they hit those numbers theyre an unmitigated success that the likes of we havent seen so not what happened.

AEW Double or Nothing "Beats 200k Buys"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

If this is true this is the most successful single show since The Ultimate Fighter season 1 finale. And even more than that as that had a show of build up and the UFC had been around for years. This had some web shows and All-In, one show. That would be monstrously huge.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Holy smokes. Guess the price point wasn't a deterrent after all.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

that article is inaccurate and is attributing something to dave that dave never said.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The other news from Dave and Bryan is four PPVs a year. I'll pony up four times a year. That's not bad at all.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

STONE COLD 64 posted:

that article is inaccurate and is attributing something to dave that dave never said.

That outlet has really gone downhill since Plumpy left.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

The other news from Dave and Bryan is four PPVs a year. I'll pony up four times a year. That's not bad at all.

It's what I've been begging WWE to do for years (well, begging for a reduction to like 8, anyway) so yeah I'm fully onboard.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.

achillesforever6 posted:

The training video with the mask was the perfect setup for Joseph!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Was that actually said too? I only recall Bryan speculating that All Out is the next PPV.

I definitely got the impression that Fight For The Fallen at least was going to be broadcast in some form.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

Was that actually said too? I only recall Bryan speculating that All Out is the next PPV.

I definitely got the impression that Fight For The Fallen at least was going to be broadcast in some form.
It was on Wrestling Observer Radio for the 26th. Four shows a year with the next being at the end of August.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i would think thanksgiving weekend and february would make sense for spacing the other ppvs out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is the Jacksonville show maybe gonna be a special? Would be neat if they got it onto TNT as a Clash Of The Champions type deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tnt or BR Live i'd think, especially since they have an area for seating sectioned off for hard camera and production.