Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

A line graph has hit the second tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
bitcoin has been sub 1000 for a month, kind of uneventful really

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i've read this three times now and i still don't even know what the christ
the author skimmed the wikipedia summary of A Modest Proposal and decided that it was time to make his mark in the annals of satire

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Plank Walker posted:

A line graph has hit the second tower

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Thesoro posted:

anals of satire

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Apple Yanks World’s Most Popular Bitcoin Wallet From App Store

By Robert McMillan
7:46 PM

Photo: Wired

Photo: Ariel Zambelich/WIRED

Apple has removed the world’s most popular bitcoin wallet from its App Store.

Late Wednesday, the tech giant yanked the Blockchain app from the popular mobile app marketplace and did not provide a specific reason, says Nicolas Cary, the CEO of Blockchain. The app is currently used by about 120,000 people to send and receive the world’s most popular digital currency. Blockchain users can still run the app on their iPhones and Macs, but they will no longer be able to get software updates via Apple. There are more than 1 million Blockchain users worldwide.

Apple could not be immediately reached for comment, but Cary forwarded WIRED a copy of the email he received from Apple. It says the app had been “removed from the App Store due to an unresolved issue.” Whatever the particulars of the removal, it’s yet another bump in the road as bitcoin struggles to gain mainstream acceptance.

Before it got pulled, Blockchain had been the only bitcoin wallet app available to Apple users, Cary says.

Last year, a wallet called BitPak shut down operations after being turfed from the App Store, and in November, Apple bumped another popular bitcoin wallet, called Coinbase. It had survived less than a month in Apple land. The Blockchain was released in the App store in April 2012. Apple had previously removed the Blockchain app too, but it was later re-accepted, Cary says.

Some believe that Apple may be dumping bitcoin wallets because of the emerging, somewhat confusing international regulations surrounding bitcoin. But like others, Blockchain’s Cary argues that his app was pulled because Apple sees bitcoin as a potential competitor. “I think that Apple is positioning itself to take on mobile payments in a way they haven’t described to the public and they’re being anti-competitive.”

In contrast, bitcoin is still welcome on Android. Both the Blockchain and Coinbase apps are available on Google Play. And Google is reportedly looking into ways of working with the digital currency. “We’re totally cool with Google,” says Cary.

[–]iThunderbird 19 points 2 hours ago*

Ffs. Apple is such suck much retard.

I used to be such an apple advocate. Regretting my move to apple now....gotta relearn Gate's os and android platform.

[–]montseayo[S] 25 points 3 hours ago

It's obvious Apple is taking a scorched earth policy against anything and everything that threatens its mobile payments strategy.

[–]Ryan1188 8 points 2 hours ago

orrrrrrr dumping their products all together strictly because of their stance on subjects like this. This isn't a legal issue, it's pure anti-competitiveness.

I'm done with Apple all together.

[–]Lloydie1 3 points 2 hours ago

Apple may believe that they rule the world having defeated adobe in the war on flash but on the issue of bitcoin, Apple cannot win. They will be forced to reverse course, when they lose material market share to android.

[–]jaka_juka -2 points 1 hour ago

Apple is probably getting paid big by someone to do this

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
lol the are livid

and it's not like apple hasn't pulled bitcoin apps from the app store before

apple once more proving that ios is the best

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Blockchain’s Response to Apple
Posted on February 6, 2014

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward.” – Apple, Inc.

Perhaps Apple should have added a disclaimer: “As long as the ‘rebels’ don’t threaten our profit margin”. The rebels no longer run the show at Apple Inc, the beancounters are now firmly in charge.

On Wednesday February 5th, Apple attempted to strike a devastating blow to the bitcoin ecosystem on iOS by removing “Blockchain”, the last remaining bitcoin wallet app, from the App Store. Offering no explanation and no opportunity to address any issues, without any apparent change in circumstances other than the growing popularity of the independent and competitive payment system, Apple has eradicated their payment competition on iOS and left the bitcoin space entirely to competing mobile OSs like Google’s Android.

These actions by Apple once again demonstrate the anti-competitive and capricious nature of the App Store policies that are clearly focused on preserving Apple’s monopoly on payments rather than based on any consideration of the needs and desires of their users.

The blockchain application is the same one that has been on the App Store for 2 years, with more than 120,000 downloads, no customer complaints, and a broad user base. The only thing that has changed is that bitcoin has become competitive to Apple’s own payment system. By removing the blockchain app, the only bitcoin wallet application on the App store, Apple has eliminated competition using their monopolistic position in the market in a heavy handed manner.

Further demonstrating the arbitrary basis of this decision, Apple’s official communication says that the app was removed because of an “unresolved issue”, a claim that cannot even be disputed and boils down to “because we said so”. There was no communication prior to removal of this popular app, no indication of any problems and no opportunity to redress any issues, making a mockery of the claim that there was an “unresolved issue”. Sadly, Coinbase, Gliph, and CoinJar have all been sacrificed on the altar of innovation.

Apple’s censorship of bitcoin applications, especially when view in the context of removing a 2 year app with 120,000 downloads is historic and unprecedented.

The decision attacks a nascent and innovative technology that is empowering more than 2.5 million users on a vast variety of computing devices, around the world by giving them unfettered and complete control over their money, while disrupting centralized payment systems controlled by corporate behemoths, such as Apple. The response of users to the restrictions placed on bitcoin applications have led thousands to flee to Google’s Android mobile OS, which offers a much more open environment for innovation. Unlike Apple, Google has accepted hundreds of bitcoin-related applications even though they also compete against the company’s own payment system “Google Wallet”.

Bitcoin is a revolutionary new peer-to-peer currency and payment system that is empowering millions around the world, especially the unbanked and underbanked who can use it to gain access to international banking facilities with nothing more than a smartphone. Bitcoin’s use for international payments from family members sending money home to support entire communities in the developing world and for charity fundraising and fund distribution will be severely affected by this decision. As of Wednesday, bitcoin is no longer available to those using iOS devices, once again leaving them to the mercy of oppressive currency controls and governments in some of the worst regimes in the world.

Comment from Kyle Drake at Coinpunk.com, an open-source HTML5 bitcoin wallet, a contributor to the BlockChain HTML5 Wallet that’s already available.

“Bitcoin users, we need your help. We need you to take a stand against Apple, make noise, complain, and show Apple that there will be consequences to their actions.”

PETITION TO APPLE: http://www.change.org/petitions/apple-allow-bitcoin-wallets-on-the-iphone

[–]Narrator 69 points 2 hours ago

How to make 1 billion dollars:

Start a "rebel" company.
Create a mass following and a rock solid brand.
Sell out big time to the man.

[–]di0genetic 64 points 3 hours ago

good. gently caress apple.
Let their opposition to bitcoin hasten their demise.

[–]zefy_zef 32 points 2 hours ago

Instead of convincing apple to accept bitcoin apps I would really rather we convince users to move away from apple devices. Same way that I feel instead of arguing that verizon should stop moving backwards and allow unlimited data, I would rather we convince people to switch carriers, and stop eating their bullshit.

[–]mastermind1228 2 points 2 hours ago

Exactly! Look how fast Blackberry fell. People switched from Microsoft to Apple very quickly. People will leave Apple for something better just as fast.

Google has always had our back. Lets appreciate that.

[–]minerscentral 11 points 3 hours ago

Could blockchain bring apple to court?

[–]kukkuzejt 4 points 2 hours ago

Greater empires have fallen when they became arrogant and complacent.

[–]iooonik 2 points 1 hour ago

This iPhone I have will be the last Apple product I buy. I am switching to Droid, sorry Apple but you have overstepped your boundaries.

[–]vacuu 2 points 1 hour ago

I'm keeping score, apple. The internet never forgets.

[–]mastermind1228 2 points 2 hours ago

We (the internet community) give Apple too much free and good publicity. I think we should take this as a chance to show them we have the power to give them as much negative publicity.

[–]tekdemon 1 point 2 hours ago

Wow this is lovely apple, now my friends who are just getting into bitcoin can't even download a loving wallet?

[–]JasonBored 1 point 1 hour ago

Yeah this is bullshit. I've been an Apple user 20 years.. this is the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. Me and my family spend significant amount of money on Apple products a year and while it won't make a dent in their bottom line, out of principle I am taking all of our business elsewhere.

Time to email some Apple execs. (Not that it will probably have any effect).

[–]Ryfitz 1 point 36 minutes ago

Perhaps the best plan of action would be to have all Bitcoin faithful record themselves destroying their iPhone in different interesting ways, explaining why and what Apple is up to, and uploading them on YouTube... Then we make sure to blow up the videos and try to make they reach other people who may not even use Bitcoin, that way we promote Bitcoin and use apples consistent Bitcoin hate against them.

[–]xbt_ 1 point 20 minutes ago

Alright, that's it. I'm selling my iphone5 and going Android. F' this man.

Give your users what they want, and stop trying to silence Bitcoin for your short sighted profit margins. Long term this is going to be a huge black eye for you and you'll end up having to allow these apps anyway once you realize your stupidity.

[–]martypete 1 point 12 minutes ago

Hopefully this will inspire a mass exodus from Apple.

[–]bitcoin-litecoin 1 point 10 minutes ago

apple will be bankrupt.

[–]nssan 0 points 3 hours ago

yes it is a company that can do what it wants, BUT it is a public company that have shareholders and majority of shareholders are average joes like you and I

[–]ons1 1 point 2 hours ago

Too bad Steve Jobs is no longer in our place. He would have allowed bitcoin, setup an awesome easy to use ios wallet for it, be awesome and let everyone pAy using their iphones and icash systems with bitcoin. Again being a true pioneer in the future of online financial systems. Awesome.

[–]r2pleasent 0 points 2 hours ago

It's funny, because this is such a ridiculously obvious anti-competition case. These are the exact things which the government should be looking to stop. And they'll do nothing about it.

So long as this predatory practice remains unpunished, the entire Federal Trade Commission should get their paychecks held. This poo poo is ridiculous. Large companies like Apple are literally strangling innovation right in plain sight. This is a farce to the entire system.

gently caress Apple, gently caress the Federal Trade Commission, gently caress every single politician. Absolute scum all around.

[–]kinoshitajona -2 points 2 hours ago

Dear God, please, someone make an altcoin called Applecoin and make the website all pompously over designed and self-promoting that makes it sound like you created crypto and proof of work.

I just want to see Apple get pissed at it and try to cease and desist it.

Then try submitting apps that are Applecoin wallets en masse.

Please, someone make this a reality.

Love, The immature 14 uear old version of myself living in my brain

[–]mastermind1228 -3 points 2 hours ago

Apple should take a hard look at a company called -Blackberry-. 5 years ago, every single person had a Blackberry in their hands. The company lost focus and fell faster than it rose.

https://www.google.com/finance?chdn...yUugHgvfrAbySAQ

Apple rose to success partly due to the free viral publicity it received from the internet community. They should acknowledge the community that help them rise and not fight them.

Steve Jobs was a great man. Tim Cook is a terrible one.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

...! posted:

[–]Lloydie1 3 points 2 hours ago

Apple may believe that they rule the world having defeated adobe in the war on flash but on the issue of bitcoin, Apple cannot win. They will be forced to reverse course, when they lose material market share to android.

wrap it up apple, bitcoin is far more important than an entrenched media plugin used by basically everyone, you cannot hope to beat the power of fedoras

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
i love my walled garden

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

quote:

[–]di0genetic 64 points 3 hours ago

good. gently caress apple.
Let their opposition to bitcoin hasten their demise.

these guys will have the same impact as the bigots boycotting companies for saying people of color and homosexuals are people

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Phoning It In posted:

i love my walled garden

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

...! posted:

Google has always had our back. Lets appreciate that.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

literally, they have a drone watching it at all times

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

up, up... uhhh

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
no you see it's still worth 800 so you're wrong

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Robert Viglione HUMBLE, TX

12 minutes ago
Liked 1

Bitcoin is the single most liberating technology being developed for humanity right now. Standing against any such peaceful, liberating technology is immoral. Of course, Apple has every right to refuse to participate, but we consumers also have our right to forever boycott the company.

Connell Wise WASHINGTON, DC

37 minutes ago
Liked 1

One of the World Greatest Political leaders once Said:"There can be no liberty unless there is economic liberty". - #Margaretthatche

Rob Blasetti AUSTRALIA

11 minutes ago
Liked 0

Apple is stifling innovation and putting their profit margin ahead of the prosperity of the human race.

Skaag Argonius JERSEY CITY, NJ

15 minutes ago
Liked 0

This is bigger than any one of us. Bitcoin is a tool of freedom. By eliminating Bitcoin, you support tyranny and oppression of the masses!

Roberto Lara SAN DIEGO, CA

37 minutes ago
Liked 0

Bitcoin, and access to Bitcoin is a right that Apple should not impede.

Mathieu Ferland LA PRAIRIE, CANADA

about 2 hours ago
Liked 0

I was (and I mean.. WAS) a huge fan of apple products but if you don't change your mind, I'll have no choice to switch to Android. You really think you can win the race against Bitcoin? C'mon.. do your homework! It just can't be better simply because it wont be decentralized!

Lucas Shaw PORTLAND, OR

about 2 hours ago
Liked 0

I was a loyal apple customer for years, I'm 18 years old and will most likely never purchase another apple product again, its clear that APPLE only cares about the bottom line of AAPL not it's customers who make it what it is. gently caress YOU APPLE

Chris Buchholz SOOKE, BC, CANADA

about 3 hours ago
Liked 0

Because enough is enough Apple! You've gone too far

Adam Kozak LONDON, CANADA

about 4 hours ago
Liked 0

Sell your Apple stock quick, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Damien McKenna KEENE, NH

about 4 hours ago
Liked 0

There is no technical or legal reason for Bitcoin to be banned on iOS.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Apple has mad it very clear it is not cool with Bitcoin. Does the swarm end up taking over and making their resistance Futile or is this a major hurdle to Bitcoin adoption? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 25 minutes ago by cryptotraveler

Apple has made it very clear it is not cool with Bitcoin. Does the swarm end up taking over and making their resistance Futile or is this a major hurdle to Bitcoin adoption?

[–]HappyOwlCEO 2 points 22 minutes ago

when stories start being published about waves of people dropping their iPhones for android devices specifically for a wallet app, they'll re-evaluate.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
I'm unironically comparing myself with the borg.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

no joke if apple somehow bitchslaps bitcoiners into oblivion i will buy an ipad or some other i-product

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

i'm the CC in a tweet

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

@APPLEOFFIClAL is not apple in any way shape or form and these dopes have been tweeting at it all night

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

there's a bcc too but you can't see it

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

transfatphobic posted:

no joke if apple somehow bitchslaps bitcoiners into oblivion i will buy an ipad or some other i-product

you should probably do that anyway

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

you should probably do that anyway

na they products are poo poo

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

transfatphobic posted:

the wrongest post

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

quote:

Lucas Shaw PORTLAND, OR

about 2 hours ago
Liked 0

I was a loyal apple customer for years, I'm 18 years old and will most likely never purchase another apple product again, its clear that APPLE only cares about the bottom line of AAPL not it's customers who make it what it is. gently caress YOU APPLE

i'm the 18 year old buying apple products for years

also the first half of those posts are beauitful

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

when stories start being published about waves of people dropping their iPhones for android devices specifically for a wallet app, they'll re-evaluate.

how will apple go on with out those tens of buyers?!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
apple really should have put in some cryptic message like "reviewing the software for privacy policy adherence" then watch the hive-mind attack itself on the vagueness of the message

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Some form of authority should force this company to behave in a specific way that differs from its policy and stated goals in a non coercitive way pls"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
anticompetitive behavior is impeding my libertarian utopia!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

transfatphobic posted:

which stymie are you?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:eyepop:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

im the HoboNickels

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

...! posted:

One of the World Greatest Political leaders once Said:"There can be no liberty unless there is economic liberty". - #Margaretthatche

#Margaretthatche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

#Margaretthatche

mods

• Locked thread